• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #10 - Do Videogames Make Good Movies?

Poll Of The Week #10 - Do Videogames Make Good Movies?

• Yes they do, the ones out now are pretty good.

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • They could definitely use some work, but the potential is there.

Votes: 147 47.3%
  • Videogames are meant to be interactive, that's why they don't make good movies.

Votes: 71 22.8%
  • Videogame movies suck almost as much as movie videogames.

Votes: 72 23.2%

• Total voters

Alberick

Smash Apprentice
for me street fighter movies really sux, i agree that fFFVII: AC is the best video game movie, residen evils its fair. im a big fan or mortal kombat but the movies suxs

PrimeTimeJap

Smash Cadet
Long read.

Everyone here make sure that they completely know what their talking about when it comes to video game movies.

Alot of people mention Final Fantasy VI: Advent Children. Keep in mind this movie was a Japanese made movie originally made for Japanese fans. This movie came out in movie theaters and had very long lines and all that.

Which brings me to the next fact that most good video games nowadays outside Blizzard are made by Japanese. Any game i think right now that is any good, or atleast good enough to make a movie would be a japanese game. (Halo, Blizzard games.)

Take a look at nearly ALL the video game movies that have come out so far, Silent Hill imo was actually better made then i thought it was going to be. RE the movie was a little bad, but not as bad as many people make it out to be.

Finally for my final opinion. The ONLY good video game movie i have ever say... (YOU KNOW WHAT) lemme rephrase that. More importantly, the only video game movie that i ever say that was entertaining the whole time for me was Street Fighter 2 the animated movie. FFAC came real close but lacked a little something.

Games that have real potentionl - Halo (naturally) but look out for another Doom clone or just a cheap straight to video movie. I would even take a StarShip troopers like clone just to see that awesome movie again.

Warcraft - Concept, story, and money is all their for blizzard. IN FACT, a live-action move is in the works for Blizzard and Legendary studios, the movie is slated to be released in summer of 2008. Becareful for immediate resemblence of LotR and or Chronicles of Narnia.

Metal Gear Solid - IMHO this movie has the most potential to be the best game turned into a movie ever. With the magnificent story telling ability displayed by Hideo Kojima in MGS, along with the excellent story, music, and probably the best villians ever in any video game. The pieces are all set. Sadly, this kind of game made into a movie will probably never materialize. Due to the nature of the story, It being a Konami, heavily Japanese only type of company, probably wouldnt copyright a movie for their title.

Cort

Apple Head
If the videogames story is kept as closely as possible, they could make great movies. Personally I liked Silent Hill, but when comparing it to the actual game I suppose it did "bomb"...

It was entertaining >_>;

Ironclad

Smash Apprentice
Anyone heard anything new about the Metroid movie? Someone told me they cancelled it, which would be a huge relief. I couldn't bear to see Hollywood completely wreck my favorite game series of all time.

I can see it already. Samus will be played by Jessica Alba or something, and the power suit will be 'modified', so that it only covers as little of her body as possible for a PG-13 rating. The part of Ridley will of course, not be a pterodactyl-like creature, but instead played by Vin Diesel, who will fall in love with Samus. Together they will battle the evil Metroids, giant spider-like creatures, along with their allies, the Chozo, who resemble bears, to reach the evil Father Brain (Christopher Walken), who if not stopped will Destroy The Whole Universe somehow.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
So far the best game to movie(by popular opinoin, not just mine) is the first Mortal Kombat movie. I actually used to be a pretty big MK fan so I know a bit about it. The second one was actually supposed to be good, they had a great script, good actors, big budget, all that good stuff. But the studio decided to cut the budget for some reason. Anyway they ended up taking out entire pieces of the plot, cutting characters, recasting for cheaper actors, rushing production, those kind of things. There was a sight I found serfing the web one time that had apparently gotten ahold of the leaked original version of the script, and listed all the changes that where made. It seems like it would have been good if they could have done what they wanted. However, the good news is that there is a third film in the making. New Line had a 10 year contract to make MK movies, but after they ruined the second movie the creators decided to wait for the contract to run up. It recently did and they are now with a new studio thats letting them do what they want. And the new movie is going to be the replacement for the second movie. They are going to pretend like the second movie never happened and just pick up right after the first one.

Also while talking about game movies, I absolutely love the Mario movie. It's so funny. My friends and me like to argue about the best/worst of whatever, like best song, worst movie, all that. We came to the conclusion that the Mario movie had the worst casting of all time. It was so funny. Someone said to themselves, "We need a giant turtle like dinosaur that spits fire, and fights plumbers. Who could we get? Wait, I know. Dennis Hopper!". Awesome.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
90% of these movies aren't living up to the hype. Whether it's a game being made into a movie or a movie being made into a game, whatever came first is likely the better and more enjoyable. Maybe Microsoft dodged a bullet with the Halo movie being "delayed".

Top Bottom