• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

EDIT:

Eagleye893 - Marth
Bartolon - ROB
BestNessn00b - Marth
Lightosia - Marth
Yink - Marth
Shaky - Snake
ViceGrip - Meta Knight
Earthbound360 - Marth

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
My vote will be in bold at the end of this post.

Just to name some difficult matchups for ness in no particular order:
MK, Snake, Diddy (for some... I find it easy, since I'm good with nanner control), Falco, DDD, Ike (to an extent...), Wario, and last, but certainly not least, Marth ... Everyone else I would argue as fairly even or in ness' favor. Even DK.
Now going off that, DDD has his CG, Marth has uber spacing and the GR CG, snake has his quick kill capabilities, GR stuff, and better spacing (also,nades are slightly obnoxious), Wario has weird air maneuverability and power, Ike is a ground powerhouse and outranges our fair (I think) with his, Mk is MK, Falco has annoying CG and has a sure kill with GR stuff to... Some type of Usmash...

From those, even taking everything for every character, it is evident that the most difficult and worthy character of our caution and understanding is, without a doubt, ....

MARTH

Painfully obvious.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
I'll vote for Marth.

He is, IMO, the hardest matchup to Ness. His "death grab" and his fair can get pretty anoying.
Ness has a great amount of even/small advantage/disadvantage matchups, so the obvious thing to do is to learn better the hardest ones.
Avoiding the grab in the Marth matchup can also train you to avoid the grab in the others matchups: falco, snake, Mk mainly. NOT DDD, since his grab range is bigger then Marth.

@ Eagleman, I think Ike is pretty even, since you don't have to approach him.
And you forgot G&W.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Marth.

DDD is pretty tough, but there's more you can do against DDD than Marth. It was really hard for me to decide between the two but a patient Marth is just awful. Not to mention there's so much stuff he can do to Ness once he's offstage.

And yeah, deathgrab sucks, so do his grab releases.

Shaky

Smash Ace
I vote Snake.

Knowing this matchup makes it more like 55-45 Snake than 70-30 Snake if you have no idea what you're doing.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I claim to not know anything about snake; anyone can use common sense and practical movements to avoid idiocy in order to make a match with snake more even. The only problem with ness is the GR>ftilt gives tons of damage and ness dies early to snake.

The reason for marth being the most necessary to learn is that a lot of what he can do to us can be applied to other characters.

GR shenanigans translate also to CG shenanigans.
Marth's fair outspeeds us nearly everywhere and other attacks can fairly reliably outrange us as well. (speedy characters and characters with quick moves)
Marth gets quick kill setups and can gimp easily (makes ness need to up his offstage game and not die stupidly).
Marth has a spike (can prepare for hasty techs and meteor cancel type stuff)
Dancing blade (SDI is needed)
Tippers (easy to see coming and you can improve your DI from it)

The only thing marth doesnt have is projectiles, but even then projectiles themselves take merely common sense and planning/reading (lasers are easy for me to read, know what you can cancel with stuff, nair basically destroys all projectiles)...
EDIT: first statement is hypothetical... I just feel that snake is less important to learn than marth due to the fact that not all of what snake has is super fast (okay, not helping myself... Snake may be more important, but I can't tell... The two are split)

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Mk is the most common matchup in my experience...and he is really really good so i vote him. If you don't have the matchup down pat then mk's can just roll over you. Same goes for Marth, D3, and Snake but Mk I believe is the most common character at this point in the metagame.

1.Mk (he's not Ness's hardest matchup but he's the most important due to likelihood of encounter in tournament)
2.Marth
3. Snake
4. D3

I'm actually not very good at the Marth matchup because the only ones I occasionally run into are some of the best (Mike Haze, BardulL, Havok). I usually beat lower level marths in tourney but I wish I had more marth experience. Shaky is right about snake but I feel the same applies to D3, if you don't have your spacing down you just get grab *****. Higher level falcos also require quite a bit of mu experience if you want hope of standing a chance. Marth is Ness's hardest matchup but you gotta decide if you wanna try and beast it with ness or opt for a counterpick (Mk/dk/d3 imo).

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ehh I'll hop on the band wagon and say Marth. A lot of Marths might just take the lolpath and spam grabs in hopes it'll connect. Simply knowing this factor can make things a lot easier for you when you're anticipating depseration.

But its actually not the grabs that bother me the most. It's the stupid air attacks that Marth has. Normally feeling comfortable in the air, it really sucks when someone forces me out. For Ness it feels like a game of hit and run moreso than usual.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Falco or Snake. Picking one.........................I'd rather have Falco matchup discussion.

D3 sometime later hopefully along with Snake.

Edit: OHHHHH, lol... you wanted the most important MU. Well probably MK just because of the volume of people who play as him..... Still, I honestly think Falco needs to be covered. That bird is tough.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
just like jiffy, i would say falco or snake, and i would say falco.
reason being, learning the falco match up means learning how to avoid his moves, grabs (especially), and obvious setups: this can be applied to almost any other match-up, making you better against many of the high-tiers automatically.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Learning either MK or Diddy will give you the fundamentals and reaction speed you need to learn other matchups (and MK is far more common). Marth might be harder, but learning MK will teach you everything you need to know to be able to learn the Marth matchup.

/MK

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
Olimar :troll:

Jk, i'd have to say marth.
I really havn't played any good marths but i know how the mu usually is and it ain't pretty. two very similar characters though, both really aerial (ness/marth)

I almost said MK because it is more common, but i feel that it isn't as bad and learning the marth mu can help a lot of things as well. MK isn't the only character that helps your reaction time.

edit: oops already voted in the oli boards...

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I almost said MK because it is more common, but i feel that it isn't as bad and learning the marth mu can help a lot of things as well. MK isn't the only character that helps your reaction time.
Yeah, I mean I sort of feel the same. MK is common so it's hard for me to say if it's that important to try and consciously learn that mu--MK players are all over the place, so chances are you'll learn some things about him without even trying.

What sort of things do you think the Marth matchup teaches?

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
Yeah, I mean I sort of feel the same. MK is common so it's hard for me to say if it's that important to try and consciously learn that mu--MK players are all over the place, so chances are you'll learn some things about him without even trying.

What sort of things do you think the Marth matchup teaches?
For one it throws in that all important "don't get grabbed" mindset into the game, but that is also in a lot of other matchups.
Marth is very aerial and yet also has good ground game, and just his playstyle is i think more like other characters than mk is, but marth's playstyle is harder for us than those characters. He's about the same size as a lot of other people and we have to think about a lot of the same things against him as with other people (ex. dedede don't get grabbed.) MK is a very weird character, the only other ones like him are kirby and jiggs, but they are irregular. So basically what im saying for that is you can use the stuff you learn with the marth mu in a lot of other ones.
However both characters are tough for ness, pkf really isn't safe in either mu for risk of being punished. With mk we need to focus on staying towards the center of the stage and not losing our control. We can't be in the air as much as we would like in either mu because of the characters' ability to juggle. We have to worry about both of their aerials a lot, and both of their approach tactics can be tricky.

Really now that i think about it, they are both insanely important matchups to learn, but i can't vote here anyway so it doesn't matter haha. Btw what's gonna be the next mu discussion?

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who has trouble with sonic players?
Had more trouble with most marth players then snake and MK players; though they are all devastating.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Olimar, R.O.B. and Snake. I do have to agree with ViceGrip bringing up Meta Knight and the whole encounter with him in tournaments. You'd think that match-up would be relatively easy to learn in no time because of this.

Top Bottom