• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Best doubles partner for Donkey Kong

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Whenever I watch team tourneys, I always watch for moments when the fighters chain moves together into an effective offense. But when watching some other tourneys, certain teams will look more or less cohesive. That got me wondering. Who is the best partner for each character? Well, since I’m a casual Brawler, and I don’t have the expertise to judge, so why not ask the experts? I originally tried this on GameFAQs, but the users in general were immature, or not qualified to give the information. Then I remembered the specific boards on Smashboards, so I brought the poll here. So who do you think the best partner is for Donkey Kong?

Rules:

- The poll will last for a week. If it becomes popular, it may last longer.
- You may only vote for one character.
- Assume friendly fire is on.
- Assume there are no items.
- After posting your answer, give a detailed reason why you choose that character. If you don’t give viable information, your vote will not be added.
- You may ask to change your vote if you have a viable reason.
- Discussion on your choices is allowed. NO FLAMES!!!
- If you vote Pokemon Trainer, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you vote on the Pokemon Trainer poll, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you want to use videos to explain your reasoning, feel free to post them, but remember. I play this game casually, so you have to explain what parts of the video are important and why they are important.
- You may vote on multiple polls.
- If issues occur, I may add or remove rules, so be sure to review the list.

Bowser – 0
Captain Falcon – 0
Diddy Kong – 1
Donkey Kong – 0
Falco – 0
Fox – 0
Game & Watch – 0
Ganondorf – 0
Ice Climbers – 0
Ike – 0
Jigglypuff – 0
King Dedede – 0
Kirby – 0
Link – 0
Lucario – 0
Lucas – 0
Luigi – 0
Mario – 0
Marth – 0
Meta Knight – 1
Ness – 0
Olimar – 0
Peach – 0
Pikachu – 0
Pit – 0
Pokemon Trainer – 0
R.O.B. – 3
Samus – 1
Sheik – 0
Snake – 0
Sonic – 0
Toon Link – 0
Wario – 0
Wolf – 0
Yoshi – 0
Zelda – 0
Zero Suit Samus – 0

Replies: 8

If your vote isn’t tallied, you may have done one of the following:

- You voted for multiple people or didn’t make your answer clear
- You voted for multiple characters
- You didn’t give a good reason.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I've heard about Samus being good for DK. Samus has great combo ability and DK can kill at nice low percents.

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
ROB. (Samus and T.L are close, though)

Firstly, DK's one weakness is vertical recovery; ROB could go off the edge while DK is trying to recover, neutral air him after he finishes, most likely sending him upwards, giving him more than enough space to make it back, while ROB returns no sweat.

ROB can put on damage from pretty much any possible way, making him one of the best characters for racking up damage itself.

I know people like to think "DK can finish off what ROB put on", but that's not too realistic is it? It's not like DK is easily going to just walk over and do whatever. ROB can kill pretty easily through dtilt, dash attack, grab, throw offstage, and hitting them with the gyro consistently.
In fact, characters like DK, Link, Falcon, Yoshi, MK, and Ganondorf are completely out of luck when hit by it more than once.

The only minor concern I would have is ROB's attack speed and DK's slow recovery after a few of his attacks, which could lead to DK being hit by several of ROB's attacks, though not too powerful.

In general, ROB COMPLETELY makes up for DK's vertical game, and DK has a lot of finishing moves--which ROB does not.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Character's who come to my mind are, ROB or course has everyone has said, yoshi, samus, sonic, diddy kong, sheik, ZSS, and peach. Basically anyone who can rack up damage but lacks reliable kill moves (DK has so many options). But if I had to vote I'd probably say ROB for sure, i mean if need be dk could use his gyro and have a projectile (not realistic of course)

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
Then again, if DK, why not your opponents, too? That's one bad thing about the gyro.

However, now that I think about it, the gyro could also help save DK and ROB.

But, yeah, ROB is the best choice.

(In general, you should almost always conclude that Falco and ROB are the two best teammate options. The best of the two depends on who we're talking about: their speed, attack speed, recovery, projectile or not, etc. ROB gets my choice here because he has superior attack speed and ground speed--which would be more helpful to DK than Falco's.)

Veggi

Smash Champion
Diddy Kong is the best. He gives DK a grabbable projectile to glide-toss with. Diddy builds up damage easily and DK has fast KO moves perfect for the brief stun that Diddy's bananas give the opponent. Diddy has a decent and easily controllable range game with his nanners and peanuts to avoid hitting DK, he also simply just has a range game, which is something DK doesn't have. Diddy can easily mess up infinites if they ever become a problem. Diddy's air moves can help DK recover if he needs it and Diddy has an awesome recovery. Diddy and DK can also get grabs easily to KO people that are being grabbed. Diddy's side b can also get back on the stage quicker than alot of other recoveries so DK doesn't get teamed-up on.

Both of them are very good in team battles just by themselves. Plus it's Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong on a team. How cool is that?

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
falco is dk's best partner without a doubt. the falco player lures in the opponent with his bread. dk super punchs them in the mouth. falco and dk both down taunt. unstoppable.

The Unlawful Salmon

Smash Cadet
I like R.O.B. and MK for partners.

On MK:
Generally I dislike any light characters in teams, since they don't survive vs 2 opponents as easy, and tend to be gimpable. Luckily MK more than makes up for those weaknesses, plus he's very small which compliments DK's big frame. MK with DK can juggle entire teams for quite some time. MK gets them into the air(or DK can with his Dsmash), and MK and DK just have at it. Both have good killing potential while not getting in the way of the each other. They both can ledge guard as a team well, since MK can take the grounded part of the ledge, and DK can back him up with overhead Bairs, etc. Plus if MK tornados the opposing team, DK usually has an easy 9-whirl punch, or smash to kill someone off. Tornado to DK kill works crazy well. In my opinion this is probably DK's best teammate, since once you get a really good MK partner you'll start to put together some crazy juggling combos. You won't have to worry about any particular bad match-ups either, like DK and DDD since MK does well vs DK's bad match-ups.(MK is excellent vs ICs also!)
DK and MK don't really have many large weaknesses to begin with, and the small ones that do exist the other character makes up for greatly.

My vote has to go to MK.

Also on R.O.B.:
R.O.B. is good simply because he's(in my opinion) the best support character in the game for any doubles team. His only weakness is that he doesn't get kills on big stages easy, and he can be juggled like mad vs some characters(MK). The problem with this team is that DK and R.O.B. both share some bad match-ups and both have large bodies. So both R.O.B and DK being bad vs MK doesn't help, but they both aren't that great vs Wario, Wolf, ICs, and DDD either. So this team is only good when your opponent's aren't MK/Wario/Wolf/ICs/DDD(MK is the biggest problem really, with the other 4 just being more effective than usual.) So really this team is only somewhat effective. This team would house a team of say Peach and Lucas, but be not so good vs a team of DDD and Wolf.

On Diddy:
I dislike Diddy as a partner, because on small stages like animal crossing his bananas can get in the way of DK, and when your both trying to recover at the same time usually one of you doesn't make it back because of Diddy's upB. Plus Diddy is gimpable, and can't get too many kills without DK.
Random note: I did see a really good team of Diddy and Marth once. Diddy trips'em up, and Marth nails them like sitting ducks for some easy kills. Plus Marth chucking a banana, and tripping you right before he leads into you with his sword combos is pretty nasty.

Sgt Isaac

Smash Cadet
Nothing wrong with double DK. your combined Ftilt/DownBs can cover the whole stage.
Plus you can "relay stage spike" One DK carries to edge and waits for break out then other DK grabs and finishes cargo spike.

DonkeyKongUh

Smash Cadet
I say that Zamus is a great partner cause she can paralyze the enemies for dks mega punch

PrinceACE

Smash Rookie
Never thought ROB as a good partner lol. Good idea though! I'll try that.

Personally my and my partner are Snake and DK. We have lots of partner combos and we can KO and rack up damage like crazy. Also my partner has short hopped me dropping a grenade over head so I can grab it then slide toss, Then I do a super long F smash lol. Our team name is Tilits WTF usually lol.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Kirby.

Star spit to smash is win on the last stock.

Before the last stock though, let Kirby copy you, and have two giant punches.

Bury to hammer is too good.

Kirby can protect DK as he recovers without hitting him with cutter wave and dair.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Metaknight, because he is the best character.

coincidently, metaknight and metaknight is the best team.

The Unlawful Salmon

Smash Cadet
In our last teams tourney MK & MK lost to Snake & Shiek in the finals. The MK team would have won too, but somehow MK did a downsmash (ftw) right next to snake and it went right through him. There was like this huge pause where everybody was like... WTF? Then snake realized he wasn't dead, and did a quick UpTilt and won. Luckily we have it on vid, just gotta get it uploaded. Guess snake isn't programmed to lose, haha!

Yea MK & MK is a crazy good team. Wait until they counterpick Luigi's Mansion too.

Linguini

Smash Master
Im gonna have to say snake, the killing power is ridiculous and snake racks up damage fast making it easy to just throw out kill moves effectively. Me and aro thundah have won like the past 5 tournaments with this dk/snake team in FL, including 3rd at FAST.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I **** with my partner as Snake. Both kill well and do damage, but you do have to be a little careful around each other.
Oh and i <3 c4 plant on DK to cargo :)

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Nanerz (Cali's best Diddy) and CBK (Nevada's Best DK Main who isn't named SK92) placed 3rd at BIO.

Double monkey is hella good. DK's Glide toss into d-smash is ridicu****inglous.

5yphon

Smash Cadet
i would have to say diddy kong.

diddy has alot of great combo moves. diddy can combo the opponent to which side of the stage he wants. This is good for DK because DK has fast and high knockback moves. DK also last a long time especially when diddy is more of the pain they will focus on him and you will be able to hit you enemy when they are attacking diddy.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is the best partner for DK hands down. Just think of the possibilities!!! "Flame Choke>Ganon Shields>Giant Punch/F or D-smash" and "Headbutt>Worlock Punch"!!!

Smash Journeyman
I would have to say ROB. Simply because the person I team with plays a wide verity of characters, but when he picks ROB.... We're unstoppable.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I team with a DDD and the results are surprisingly good

Akashi

Smash Lord
There's plenty of great match-ups for D.K, and in all honesty a high tier (d3, Snake, MK, R.O.B, maybe wario) will compliment D.K. That aside, my vote is with D.K/Diddy. They both feed off each other's weaknesses and Diddy is an amazing support character for D.K. For 2v1, a banana into D.K's >B is instant kill past 70%, and extremely easy to set-up.

Top Bottom