• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: After Brawl is released, will you still play Melee?

silentwanderer8

Smash Cadet
I would just like to know, because I hope a lot of people will still play Melee. Especially the pros.

Please vote.

Yes: 1.
No: 0.
Maybe: 0.

Sir James

The Doctor
I may play it once in a while, but I think I'm going to stick with Brawl and just move on. I'll try to get good and maybe even pro in the latest installment. This will change though if my biggest fear comes true. If Brawl is somehow dumbed down and is less competitive and less skill is required, I'll probably still play Melee. I doubt my nightmare will come true, but you never know...

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
After getting Brawl my first objective would be to unlock everything and try everyone out. After that I'm still going to continue playing Melee (and Brawl too), and hopefully the competitive Melee scene won't die down much.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
**** brawl. Anyone who quits melee is a pansy.

With the exception of people who have been on top of the melee scene for 5 years, have proven themselves to be the best and are just tired of the game.

But you're a sellout if you quit melee just because a new smash game comes out.

Not to say I wont be playing brawl, but I am going to continue to play in and host melee smashfests and tournaments. Brawl looks like a piece of crap for competitive play to be honnest, what with sakurai telling us every 2nd update hes trying to make the game easier to play.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Off-topic, but making the game "easier to play" is a stupid concept. People who are at low level of play still have fun playing other people of their level. When you get better you want skill to be involved so there is more than just a mental element to it.

For new smashers, hitting B+Direction and knowing that A does a "normal" attack is easy enough. They don't care if they miss with tether recovery because they never use it anyways. If the game is degenerate because of this nonsense I will be severely disappointed.

Troggy

Smash Rookie
Yes, I will still play it because I won't have a Wii for awhile, plus i'll have to if G&W is not in Brawl.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
For new smashers, hitting B+Direction and knowing that A does a "normal" attack is easy enough. They don't care if they miss with tether recovery because they never use it anyways. If the game is degenerate because of this nonsense I will be severely disappointed.
Good to see people who have the same fears for brawl that I do. Not paranoia just a healthy concern as a smasher. These phrases are what worry me, more than anything :

sakurai said:
Press and hold the attack button to do consecutive jabs. The game will be compatible with a variety of controllers, so I’ve gone a tad easier on the button pressing.
Not a big deal, but the first thing that made me go ''huh?''

It was difficult to aim in the previous game, but this time it automatically flies to the closest ledge, so it should be pretty simple to use.
This one really bothered me. As if holding L, a direction, and pressing A is difficult.

the worst of em all said:
That really was her last trump card. She used a weapon so powerful, it destroyed her Power Suit.

Now it’s time for Zero Suit Samus to show what she can do.
and of course the famous Zero Suit Samus example.

Only time will tell, but from the looks of it, veteren melee players might even choose to stick to COMPETING in melee, while playing brawl for the casual fun experience.

Unless brawl proves to be competition worthy and not just a party game, Im sticking with competitive melee, and I might buy brawl in a few years when the price goes down.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
well i still play the first Smash bros. sometimes when i get out my n64

No_Face

Smash Apprentice
Well, if brawl is just an improved version of melee with more characters then i'd just go competitive with it instead of melee. But of course, there's the possibility of it being completely different, or even worse, what Demon_machinE hinted at: CASUAL PARTY GAME WITH NO DEPTH ..ahh, such a scary thought

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Well, if brawl is just an improved version of melee with more characters then i'd just go competitive with it instead of melee. But of course, there's the possibility of it being completely different, or even worse, what Demon_machinE hinted at: CASUAL PARTY GAME WITH NO DEPTH ..ahh, such a scary thought
If I had posted my post in the brawl section, 50 people would have flamed me already. Gotta love real smash players in the melee section who actually read your posts :chuckle:

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
I started playing melee competively way to late for my satisfaction. Brawl WILL be different than melee. If Brawl > SSBM like SSBM>SSB, then I bet I'll drop Melee. It depends on how well Brawls depth and the like is in comparsion to Melee.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
Do you reckon they'll fix up the game mechanics to keep people from WDing, L-cancelling, and all that like in Melee?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'm still gonna play Melee since I won't have a Wii or a copy of SSBB, but thankfully I can play it at my friend's houses as well.

Eggm

Smash Hero
All depends on how deep brawl is for me, however i'll play it at least for awhile with friends for fun. xD But in the long run which ever one is more deep and has more people playing is the one I'll be playing.

link 226

Smash Rookie
I guess ill still play it, definately when my brother starts to play it so much he's not seen without his caffene pills, just to get better than me. but brawl will stay in my wii for at least 3months after i get it :p

Zwabber

Smash Cadet
I will only stick to melee if Super Smash Bros Brawl is less competitive. It's not really fun anymore if all techniques (such as wavedashing, l-cancelling, teching, and so on) are going to be removed. Sure hope they make SSBB just (or even more) as skill-requiring as SSBM!

Gringleman

Smash Rookie
Heheh. I'm not going to play melee anymore. I wanna get really good a Brawl and learn different techniques there at the same time everyone else is since i just learned wat wavedash, L-cancelling and those things are a month ago. If I play melee, I feel like I'll fall behind and never be a pro.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Simple as that: Of course I will still play Melee...only not in the first few weeks after I get Brawl x3 Too busy with Brawl then.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I will only stick to melee if Super Smash Bros Brawl is less competitive. It's not really fun anymore if all techniques (such as wavedashing, l-cancelling, teching, and so on) are going to be removed. Sure hope they make SSBB just (or even more) as skill-requiring as SSBM!
I think that they removed wavedashing only because its a glitch. Everything else stays like teching and hopefully SHFFLing

I still plan on playing Melee

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Do you reckon they'll fix up the game mechanics to keep people from WDing, L-cancelling, and all that like in Melee?
Fix? they're exactly as they were intended. They intentionally put in wavelanding, and they knew you could stop a jump with an air dodge (also intentional). Also, L cancelling is just a nerfed version of SSB64's Z-canceling. And completely intentional in the way it's used (i.e. shffls). When they realized that people could wavedash, and they made their "revised edition" (PAL) they left it in, since it's not a game breaking/ unbalancing mechanic.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I figure they'll pay more attention to potential chaingrabs this time around to prevent something stupid like Sheik chaingrabbing half the cast and nerfing her dthrow for the PAL version. Other'n that, I'll put my faith in Sakurai to make a fun game.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
people still play smash 64 even now, so people will play melee even if brawl comes out.

No_Face

Smash Apprentice
Hm, maybe going competitive with two fighting games at once isn't such a crazy concept after all?

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
I think that they removed wavedashing only because its a glitch. Everything else stays like teching and hopefully SHFFLing
I think that they are adding the crawl technique in place of the wavedash, correct me if i'm wrong

--double post,Yes!

Adi

Smash Lord
How the hell does crawling resemble wavedashing in any way, shape, or form lol.

If Brawl sucks and has no depth chances are most of the people who play Melee competitvely now, are going to stick with Melee, so if that's the case I will continue with Melee as well. If Brawl is amazing I'm definetely going to play it a lot but I won't mind popping in the old melee disc for fun ^^.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah. i still play the original smash now, so really the only reason that i wouldn't play melee would be if Brawl had the exact same feel and all of teh characters from melee.
Which is almost impossible at this point.

By the way, wavedashing is not a glitch. It was consciously added by the game developers.

Top Bottom