• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Since we don't know if you can main a single pokemon, he'll probably be down as one spot on the tier list.
Talking about 1 person being in 2 tier spots.......
Im glad that now with the stamina in people wont only play as Charizard they with have to switch an play ivysaur and squirtle

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I was on the Nsider boards during this, so I am giving a VERY late congratulations to the Red supporters, which I was a very strong member of. While Sonic was my biggest vicotry in character hoping, Red just might be number 2. He is a very good character (still dont know why they named him Pokemon Trainer), and this (STILL) may be the strongest against all odds supported character victory ever!

Congratulations Red supporters!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I wonder what will happen to Charizard in the water. I mean, it's said that if his tail flame goes out, he dies.
Only the anime Charizards are affected like that. In the games, Charizards can fight while its raining outside, and sometimes even withstand getting drenched by a surf attack.

sorry for the double post

McFly

Smash Cadet
After all the speculation about which one being better, I think I would have to say that one would need to master all three of them to work in conjunction to be effective. Per se one is able to damage well, another KO quickly and another to outlast.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
There's no doubt that a good PT trainer will be good with all three. I just hope the switch doesn't take as long as the Zelda/Shiek switch. If the pokemon out could still attack while the pokeball is thrown, only returning when the new pokemon is out... <3

Zallipus

Smash Cadet
Speaking of NSiders, a long while ago I was one of two people to make a support thread for Squirtle on the official Nintendo forums, as BubbleManEXE.

I'd like to main Squirtle, but I'll get use to switching because the original 3 starting Pokemon mean a lot for me when I first got Pokemon, and these three in particular have some meaning as well. Squirtle is my favorite, Ivysaur is who I fought against a lot with my rival, and Charizard is what most of my friends played with in the original GameBoy game. It's going to be a fun character, that's for sure. ^_^

McFly

Smash Cadet
I think it will be a lot of fun for the trainer to show his dirty electric rat who is boss since he would never stay in his ball.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I think it will be a lot of fun for the trainer to show his dirty electric rat who is boss since he would never stay in his ball.
I believe Yellow and Pokemon Puzzle League were the only games which featured a Pikachu that refused to be in it's pokeball, and Red was only in one of those games.

McFly

Smash Cadet
And your point is? I was just annoyed by that Pikachu when I played that game, and my comment was more just for fun anyways. What bothers me even more than pokemon refusing to go into their ball though, are people who take their own life and self importance way too seriously. Have a little fun, man.

Pkaz01

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing Pokemon Trainer is going to be paired up with Pikachu in the subspace emissary since they can make it like the anime where pikachu doesn't go into the pokeball and runs around and since the trainer has the three basic starting Pokemon it's even more probable.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I'm guessing Pokemon Trainer is going to be paired up with Pikachu in the subspace emissary since they can make it like the anime where pikachu doesn't go into the pokeball and runs around and since the trainer has the three basic starting Pokemon it's even more probable.
I woulnt mind that but a lot of people wouldn't like Brawl to have elements of the pokemon anime.

but thats what most likely happen.

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
I was really excited when I first heard about pokemon trainer....but the stamina system kinda bummed me out. Im worried it will complicate the character to much. I never intended to just use Charizard or anything. Anybody who did that would be a supreme smash noob. Theyd die in the first online wave lol. The thing about pokemon trainer is that theres a wide variety of ways to play. I see Squirtle as a speed type, Ivysaur as a range type, and Charizard as the power type. You have to be able to perform well with all of them so you can adapt to any situation.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Speed, range and power.... *shudders*
Let's hope Sakurai does a good job balancing these guys... we know what happened last time he made different versions of a character try to depend on each other...
And we also know what happens when a character ends up having only one strength...
It really worries me quite a deal.

falco999

Smash Apprentice
that would be so cool. after feb 10 no one will see me

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I believe Yellow and Pokemon Puzzle League were the only games which featured a Pikachu that refused to be in it's pokeball, and Red was only in one of those games.
In Gold/Silver/Crystal, Red had a Pikachu and it was his highest leveled Pokemon. Of course, it was the only one on his team that didn't evolve. (Not counting Red's Snorlax)

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I think we need a good Pokemon Trainer update to get this discussion revitalized. I dunno maybe his SUBSPACE INTRO, you know just saying.....

paralasalud

Smash Ace
did anyone else notice?

charizard looks kinda dwarfed compared to pikachu. and i don't think it's the angle either. :urg:
when i first saw this i thought somehow pikachu already had the mushroom... i mean, look at the size of pikachu's tail compared to charizard's. they're about the same.

maybe i just always thought charizard was bigger than he actually is. in fact, he looks correct after he gets the mushroom.

oh well, i'm sure someone's going to correct me with the actual size charizard is based on his pokedex entry.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Heheh...Ya, Pikachu's always been a lot bigger in SSB than the games and anime say it should be which is about 1'4''.

Charizard are supposed to be around 5'7'' (they seem to base this on measuring from the bottom of the feet to top of the head while it's hunched over) which is a little taller than the PT (and Link) should be (as well as a little shorter than Mewtwo).

But you probably knew all of that. :/

paralasalud

Smash Ace
Heheh...Ya, Pikachu's always been a lot bigger in SSB than the games and anime say it should be which is about 1'4''.

Charizard are supposed to be around 5'7'' (they seem to base this on measuring from the bottom of the feet to top of the head while it's hunched over) which is a little taller than the PT (and Link) should be (as well as a little shorter than Mewtwo).

But you probably knew all of that. :/
yeah i figured pikachu was bigger in SSB, like how kirby is bigger in SSB.
i just personally feel that charizard should be HUGE. like, maybe a bit taller than bowser. but of course sakurai stated that no one is bigger than bowser :/

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
do you think the stamina for the pokemon will reset after you loose a stock with that pokemon?
Most likely yes it would. Also about the stamina, if lets say Charizard gets low on damage and you do the pokemon change to Squirtle then again to ivysuar and back Charizard. Charizard will have full stamina.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Most likely yes it would. Also about the stamina, if lets say Charizard gets low on damage and you do the pokemon change to Squirtle then again to ivysuar and back Charizard. Charizard will have full stamina.
Not instantly. The gradually get it back.

I wonder if there's visual evidence of a Pokemon's stamina level (besides lower damage and less speed and such), like drooping eyes or a weary stance. That would make things easier to gauge.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Pikachu is supposed to be 1'4" in the Pokemon games, so he's just bigger in Smash. Charizard is about the right size.

mmm...cheese

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see Jessie & James as a team more, but this is good. Here's my take on Ash:

Appearance: Ash Ketchum with Pikachu on his shoulder.

Forward B: Throw pokeball and it explodes when it hits your opponent (opens and there's a bright light). (chances for better balls)
Forward B Smash: Throw pokeball and, if it hits, your opponent is captured for a lil while. (chances for better balls)

Down B: Bust out your fishing rod (40% old rod, 40% good rod, 20% ultra rod and each better one does more damage, they count as items and have normal item attacks) In addition, you gain a ranged grab.

Up B: Big flash of light and a Pidgeot appears under ash and uses quick attack, thus allowing him to teleport twice like pikachu's up B. When the attack finishes it ends in a flash of light.

Neutral B: Grab rock. You can throw this at any time.

Dash Attack: Shoulder tackle.

Neutral A: Slap.

Forward A Tilt: Jab.

Forward A Smash: Pikachu uses Lightning bolt (as seen in SSBM).

Up A Tilt: Uppercut.

Up A Smash: Pikachu uses Thunder, Ash and anybody near is shocked, a lightning bolt shoots into the sky and anybody in it is hit, Ash takes 3% damage.

Down A Tilt: Kick.

Down A Smash: Ash breakdances and Pikachu emits electricity. It looks like electricity is coming from Ash in a tornado of sorts and acts like Shiek's Down Smash with an electric twist. Ash takes 3%.

Top Bottom