• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokedex Entry 2: Meta Knight (Squirtle analysis added)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
:metaknight:

:007:

Squartle moves faster in the air than meta, and meta's aerials are faster than squartle's. Play squartle like a wario would (empty short hops and full hops). And play like an ike player on the ground. (jab jab jab jab jab)

-use d-air to punish tornado and d-smash
-use waterfall, withdraw, and f-smash to hit through nado
-jab cancel into more jabs, or d-tilt, grab
-use watergun against meta's side-b to punish the endling lag
-if you are at a percentage advantage, just spam water gun until meta approaches

Approaching

I think it's better to let meta knight approach

But if you have to approach, dash attacking right in front of meta will put you a good distance behind him, even if he shields. Other than that, jumping over meta (and aerialing), rolling past, just walking up to meta and jabbing if he spotdodges and grabbing if he shields. D-air in general works good; DI away after using if completely shielded and use jab to protect yourself.

Defending (and Punishing)

Let meta approach. Shield anything that isn't a grab and use jab to punish anything meta has. Watch out for meta when he dashes towards you, he is fast and has a long dash grab, but any character is limited when they dash. Roll towards, roll away, spotdodge, jump, do something new. If meta approaches with tornado, up-b out of shield, f-smash or start side-bing towards him.

Recovering

Save your second jump, and then double jump f-air him when he gets close. I don't think airdodging works too well 'cause he can just throw out another aerial faster than you. If you get hit by a d-air out of your waterfall, DI up and towards the stage and attempt to recover again.

Edgeguarding

Squartle ain't gonna be gimping meta much, but use f-air or whatever as you please to rack up damage when you throw meta offstage. Don't put yourself in a position to be gimped.

Thanks to Adriel for the Squartle analysis.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle... x4 weakness without a doubt... you just can't make the little demon do anything of good against the crazy guy with a sword.

'Zard stays neutral... he seems to be your best chance at beating MK... and it helps to be mid damage so you can't get stuck in combo's.

Ivy i think will have to change to a slight disadvantage. Ivy's moves are just too slow to be any good against MK. Sure i have done well against a good one and even held my own. But i had to work just too hard to get anything accomplished.. and when i did it wastn' enough. The multiple jumps and wings really means MK can come off after you if he hits you with a Dsmash. It also means your chances of getting back plummet.

All hope is not lost though. Ivy has power behind him. if you play patient and use your Ftilt and Dtilt to you advantage, don't forget you Bairs and Nairs, and also know when to grab.. you can come out on top. BS doesn't help due to the light MK... but if you get him caught in a Nair... go right back in for another. You will be down dodging a lot so learn the timing. Save your ^B.. cuz if you happen to get MK to higher damage and can't land a smash.. you are going to want this move to be forgotten by your opponent and to be fresh for you.

This fight seems to be against you the whole time... but if you play smart and patient... just like you would with Zard.. you may be able to pull off something. But don't be surprised if you get gimped at 15% cuz MK knocked you off the ledge. That's why this is a slight disadvantage.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I do believe this is my opening.

Okay, well, I've been forced to play this match up A LOT since day one, and the stuff I'm about to say could only come from many dozens of games worth of analysis.

Squirtle vs. Meta Knight

I really used to think Squirtle got his *** handed to him on a silver platter here, but I've come to realize this just isn't true. Believe it or not, Meta Knight's range is actually not a lot larger than yours, and he's a significantly slower attacker. Crazy right? No, not really - Ftilt and Jabs are your best friends, even more than they usually are. The auto canceled Nairs come into play a lot, and the rest of the air game is just dandy as well. If they start shield whoring, then you grab them instead (or shield their shield attack and just jab). A MAJOR plus to this match up should be obvious: Squirtle actually kills this character reasonably!

The biggest trouble Squirtle faces are the specials, and he's more than capable of just getting the hell out of the way. Obviously, don't try attacking from above.

50-50, without question.

Ivysaur vs. Meta Knight

Hurm well this one is weird. Meta will give you a hard time if he just decides to bum rush you, as Ivy is fairly easy string fodder for the guy on account of the inability to strike back most of the time with his strange hitboxes.

Razor Leaf -> Grab is one of my primary forms of offense. It just works most of the time, since Meta has to be aggressive. If he gets too close to you, he loses out to Ivysaurs Ftilt or shield Nair. Bullet Seed isn't worth the trouble here. He's often in the air, so things like Uair and Vine Whip come into more use. Bair works for zoning as it normally does, though he's perfectly capable of running under it and shield grabbing you. Leaves can beat the tornado on occasion. Shuttle can be a *****.

It's... something like 40-60. He's got no problem sending you to the ledge and gimping you at a moment's notice.

Charizard vs. Meta Knight

The funny thing is that I seem to be canceling the tornado and drill with jabs and tilts recently, though other times it doesn't seem to work. This could use some more research. Anyway, Flamethrower and Rock Smash are godsends, and Meta has a difficult time tackling either one. If his spacing is off even a little bit, he's getting grabbed. If he's not getting grabbed, it's a shield earthquake or jabs. Rock Smash can actually match the shuttle, hitting him with residual pieces after the invincibility frames are gone (though you DO get hit). He falls early to the Dthrow, Dtilt, Rock Smash, and Usmash easily enough.

If Meta weren't so fast, I'd say he's just Charizard's plaything, but unfortunately, he is, so he can hold his own against our big lizard. Getting chained is not uncommon, but just keep your cool, DI out, and stick to the ground. Bair is about all you have to compete with his air game. Dair rarely works out due to shuttle pwnage.

60-40 in the favor of Zard, mostly on account of range.

If I didn't explain anything well enough or anything doesn't make sense, I apologize. I'm just waking up. Feel free to disagree with anything I say (I mean, I AM just some random, amirite?), but I feel I have this match down fairly solidly.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Lets see, Meta knight is meant to be used with a hit and run method. he is also the easiest to learn and master, along with being one of a couple of characters that are completely broken. I'd have to say that Meta Knight is one of the few characters that the P Trainer will have a hard time with, but not entirely

Vs Squirtle: Meta Knight is one of the reasons why the Squirtle is best myth is false. Meta is much faster than the tiny turtle and has moves to add. Meta's recovery is also very hard to gimp as well, and little Squirtle without a meteor smash will have much trouble here. Squirtle's advantage here is practically unknown among P. Trainers. All they have to hope is to get Meta from crushing him (I refer to all of P. Trainer's Pokemon as male, due to likely chances)
Conclusion: huge advantage to Meta Knight

Vs Ivysaur: Meta is the one with his work cut out on this one this time. Meta doesn't have very ranged attacks, and does rely somewhat on aerial attacks. Ivysaur has massive range and can shut out a wall of pain (or fence) by Meta. However, Meta is fast and heavily relies on gimping. Ivysaur's most major weakness is his recovery, and Meta is somewhat fast for him.
Conclusion: Even, although possibly leaning towards Meta Knight

Vs Charizard: Meta Knight comes in, half roasted corpse comes out. Charizard is strong, has great grab range, easily knocks out lighter foes, and has flamethrower and a meteor smash. Meta is faster, and he is heavily reliant on Charizard's lack of a fast finisher.
Conclusion: some lean towards Charizard

Note: this is at the top of my head and based off others opinion from the smash boards, so there is some potential for mistakes.

Tenki

Smash Hero
What's this? Meteor smash? No...

MK has good horizontal control, making him hard to KO horizontally as any other character, but he is about 20 damage% weaker than Marth vertically. So now the question is, how easy is it for [pokemon here] to pull a star KO on Metaknight?

Also, some things to look out for:
- Moves that outprioritize/cancel MK's glide attack
- Moves that outprioritize /cancel grounded Tornados

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
As a MK main i think Ivysaur is the hardest matchup. Ivysaur has got great range which is a must against MK (Charizard does to but hes to slow MK is all over him). Ivysaur has a alright projectile its easy to aviod but still helps. Squirtle and MK have somewhat of the same playing style but MetaKnight is just stronger and more ranged so yea id have to go with Ivysaur.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Before I say anything, I think that you should make one whole thread for the Pokedex. Make these seperate threads for discussing each match up, then compile all of the information into one thread. It'll make it much easier in the long run.

Anyway, here are my opinions:

Squirtle is at a huge disadvantage, as previously stated. His awesome off-stage edgeguarding of which he gets many of his kills has no use on Metaknight whatsoever. In the air, they're about equal in range, yet Metaknight has superior priority, speed and power. Squirtle has no place in this battle whatsoever.

Ivysaur actually is not a bad option, but only if you play with even more defense than normal. I'm talking about perfect spacing and Razor Leaf spam. If Ivysaur gets caught in one of Metaknight's combos, he can be swept off of the stage and edgeguarded easily. However, playing with lots of defense as Ivy, you can actually rack up damage pretty well against Metaknight.

This is a rather odd battle for Charizard. While Metaknight can easily combo you, he can't kill you easily. Also, while Charizard can't land many attacks, he kills Metaknight quickly. It should be noted that, off-stage, Charizard stands a chance getting edge guarded kills, simply because his attacks (Forward Air, mostly) send Metaknight at a weird trajectory and far enough away that he might not recover (unless he uses the Tornado, in which case, it's hard but there's still a chance.) I'd say it's about Neutral here. It may be a little in Metaknight's favor, though.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
It's funny how people keep saying Squirtle sucks in this match-up when he doesn't (refer to my previous post). Squirtle, in my experience, HAS to get a vast majority of his kills off the top because his edgeguaring flat out doesn't work against a majority of the cast, so Meta is just more of the same. Well, more of the same if it weren't for the fact Squirtle has no trouble killing him where he does against most other high ranking characters.

If you're trying to challenge MK's air game with your own, you need to take a step back and think for a minute. Each of MK's options have huge blindspots that Squirt can exploit. Most of the time you're free to poke at him from below with Uair, or go for a Fair/Bair on the side he isn't covered.

Squirtle has the ground game almost no problem.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I don't play Metaknight's pretty often any more, so I'll only be able to provide so much right now. Mostly for Charizard. Or All-ly.

Firstly: Charizard can grab Metaknight out of glide attack. It isn't a huge opening, but it's still easy to take advantage of. It's one of the number one things I make sure to take advantage of.

Secondly: Charizard has a good number of attacks that not only tie in priority with Mach Tornado, but some will often proceed to HIT Metaknight through it. I got my information from this beautiful thread:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161939&highlight=Mach+Tornado

"This isn't every move that wins against Mach Tornado. I only listed the ones that are the most useful to the character.

Squirtle – Side-B, F-smash
Ivysaur – F-smash
Charzard – F-tilt, F-smash"

Obviously, a non-PT main isn't going to know all the moves that we consider useful. As someone has already suggested, we need to do some of this testing ourselves. If I recall correctly, I often used Flamethrower and Rock Smash versus the tornado to great effect. I also have a hunch that it is only moves that cause a "flame sweet-spot" on Charizard that go through (I've only gotten that Ftilt to work when I hit with the flame).

I'm not really going to offer any input on the matches, since I'm not really qualified to do that. I'll try to keep providing little tidbits like this, though.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Squirtle: Metaknight is like Squirtle, only better. Netaknight dominates Squirtle on the ground, and in the air. It's a painful matchup for Squirtle.

Ivysaur: If Ivysaur can keep Metaknight away, than it's easy. Unfortunately, Metaknight is really good at approaching, and once Metaknight is in range, it's gonna hurt. Spacing is very important here. All in all, a hard matchup, but not hopeless.

Charizard: The only hope PT has against Metaknight.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Squirtle: I agree with the most of posters, 4xWeakness, metaknight can handle squirtles game very good and outranges the little ninja turtle, hes one of the cast in brawl that squirtle really fears, i know squirtle still has a little hope by playing smart and defensive, but that affects our ninja turtle playstile, and i know taht squirtle can ko metaknight easily, but thats not an advantage because the same applies to metaknight. He has a hard time koing oponents, but not koing squirtle.
Ivysaur: I think its a slight weakness. You can keep metakngiht at a sure distance with razor leaf and spaced attacks, but you are in a big trouble if metaknight is close to you, he also beats you easily in the air, and the worst part, he can gimp and edgeguard you so easy and hard that its not funny.
Charizard: Certainly PTs best card against metaknight. I think its a slight advantage for you. Charizard can outrange metaknight, and grabing is also something that will your oponent a headhache. Also, you have flamethrower to rack up a lot of damage in very sure distance, and rocksmash can kill metaknight at very low percents. In the air, you gotta be veryyy carefull, fair can be good for keeping him at some distance, but you wont want to rely too much on this one, and maybe upB can be very helpfull , specially for the super armor frames.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
It occurs to me that we are forgetting about one vital thing here.

Counterpick Stages.

You are up against a Metaknight. What stages do you want to counterpick? What stages do you want to not counterpick? We should consider these things.

Now, I'm probably wrong here (Since my CPing skills needs some work[at least as far as Metaknight is concerned anyway]) But here's what I think as far as Stages are concerned:

Stages to avoid:

Battlefield
Norfair

Both of these have lots of platforms. Platforms for Metaknight to abuse his aerial game with.

Stages to pick:

I don't know.

the7eleven

Smash Rookie
I think you can try Shadow Mosses Island so then Ivy's air ****** would have more use and the walls for Charizard's flamethrower and cornering.
Another stage might be that stage where Palkia/Dialga appear and makes things topsytervy because if people aren't use to Palkia making the place a mirror they can die while you know what to do.
Last idea is picto chat so with the projectiles and stuff it might stop MK from moving freely.
These are all just ideas though not proven =/

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
You actually WANT to go to Battlefield BECAUSE of the platforms. The reason is that he can't abuse the hell out of the shuttle there, as shuttle spam with appropriate follow-ups in between is RIDICULOUSLY safe and an overall powerful technique.

Likewise, Yoshi's Story is a fine counter-pick as well. In addition, any legal stage where horizontal kills are harder to net are favorable as well because Meta fails at vertical kills.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle actually has a better ground game then Meta. But that really doesnt help considering that its his air game that matters where Meta clearly has the advantage.ranges are actually about the same with Meta having a slightly larger box with certain moves however because squirtle is not used to having people having better aerial games then him. he has a tendency to get ***** when characters like Wario and Meta come into play. Truthfully Im gonna say that meta has 3-7 on him.

With Ivy its more or less on how you actually play him. that determines your chances. Because most tend to abuse Nair ,BS and Razor leaf its difficult to land hits on him. While such movements could work on other characters they wont work on MK so well. I found that tilt and Vine whips or suprisingly effective. Most when ever they start the gliding game they never really suspect a vinewhip coming. Even if you dont sweet spot your effectively hit them and prevented the annoying glide game. your tilts come out extremely fast and will most of the time out priotize him. Killing however comes to to be the problem. At high enough damgages I found that up throws tends to really screw metas up because they almost always DI up and he is realitively light.

Charizard actually has a sincere advanatage against meta. Fly is pretty effective as its super armor really messes with overly agressive Metas. Up smashes range can protect you from a gliding attack. Flamethrowers and Rocksmashes are great ways of slowing down Metas Momentum. The only problem is once he gets within range is kinda a problem unless you can jab or grab him and continue a midrange game on him

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

NATIONAL LITERACY SERVICE ALERT: A MASSIVE COUNTERPICK ANALYSIS, BASED ON COMPETITIVE EXPERIENCE, HAS BEEN PICKED UP BY RADAR AS HEADING TOWARDS YOUR EYES. FORECAST FOR WORDSTORMS = VERY HIGH. IF YOU ARE ILLITERATE, YOU NEED TO TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. STAY AWAY FROM YOUR MONITOR, AS WORDS ARE KNOWN TO APPEAR ON IT AND IN THE CASE OF SEVERE WORDSTORMS MAY COVER YOUR ENTIRE SCREEN, POTENTIALLY CAUSING CATASTROPHIC BRAIN DAMAGE.

THESE WORDSTORMS ARE ALSO REPORTED TO BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE PARAGRAPHS UP TO 8 SENTENCES IN DIAMETER. THESE LARGE PARAGRAPHS ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, TAKING ENTIRE MINUTES TO READ IN MANY CASES. BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR WORDS TIGHTLY CLUSTERED TOGETHER; IF YOU COUNT MORE THAN THREE SENTENCES, YOU SHOULD STOP READING IMMEDIATELY AND SEEK LARGE, COLORFUL PICTURES TO HIDE IN.

THIS HAS BEEN A NATIONAL LITERACY SERVICE ALERT.

(EDIT: Upon review, I don't think my response was as large as I thought it was going to be, since I didn't cover neutral stages, and won't. I'm leaving this though because even though I created it, I honestly think the concept is funny as hell. Bully for me and so forth. ^_^;; )

I think you can try Shadow Mosses Island so then Ivy's air ****** would have more use and the walls for Charizard's flamethrower and cornering.
Another stage might be that stage where Palkia/Dialga appear and makes things topsytervy because if people aren't use to Palkia making the place a mirror they can die while you know what to do.
Last idea is picto chat so with the projectiles and stuff it might stop MK from moving freely.
These are all just ideas though not proven =/
2 of the 3 stages you mentioned are banned everywhere you go. >_>;;

PictoChat, on the other hand, seems to make a lot of stage lists despite the hazards it has, and it's actually a pretty good pick for PT against Meta-Knight that I hadn't considered. Ivy and Zard in particular can do a great job of using the stage to their benefit (Ivy's "don't-get-above-me" attacks, Zard's exceptional grab), though Squirtle is about as hampered as Meta-Knight is.

Here's my rundown of good stage alternatives for PT against MK, in order of best to not-so-best:

Final Destination - especially great because you've a 1-in-5 chance of seeing this as your first stage, and can usually counterpick it for a second appearance in the set (at most tournies). Final Destination forces a Meta-Knight to play his usual game without any really unpredictable options. Pass-through platforms are entirely non-existent, and there's plenty of space for all your Pokémon to work with, something each can excel with, whereas Meta can do better in more contained areas. This is the best stage for Squirtle to try and overcome his weaknesses to MK (sorry Elliot, but quick sword swipes = fast DJ hitboxes = don't forget the plural "swipes" = difficult approach = tough ******* for Squirtle...shellshifting has to be REALLY GOOD to punish MK like you're talking about).

ONLY NEGATIVE: The_Spamerer, a hardcore Meta-Knight (and Jiggly) player in NJ, consistently banned this one during his matches at Rutgers. Expect similar treatment from other great MKs.

Pokémon Stadium 1 - The things that moved this from "random-neutral" to "counterpick" status at Rutgers are what make this stage another great Meta-Knight counter. There are a number of drop-throughs throughout the stage changes, but that dastardly waterwheel and that large rock-wall (with multiple oddball platforms nearby) are on your side, limiting MK's airgame. The neutral stage only has two drop-throughs spaced decently enough away from each other, and a sufficiently large-enough flat area for you to own him on the ground. Final positive? I'm willing to bet it's an unexpected counterpick against MK, and unlikely to be banned.

ONLY NEGATIVE: That deceptive stage lip hurts you more than him...all your recoveries are more likely to get f'd than his, so be careful when coming back from almost-underneath the floor.

Luigi's Mansion - While the Mansion remains intact, Meta-Knight's air-to-ground combo game has limited height on the first floor, and limited effectiveness on the second floor (due to the roof). Obviously the roof is where he'll fight you best, but you've got one Pokémon who absolutely excels at crushing those above him (her, during the days of Fushigisou..."FUSH!"), and another who possesses a powerful and far-reaching up-tilt/up-smash/up-air combo ('Zard n-airs are surprisingly decent for attacking through platforms, too), so you don't really have to go up there. When the Mansion's gone, you've basically got FD. Great stage for Ivy, especially.

NEGATIVES: Vertical KOs are harder to come by on the ground floor, and Charizard is almost as hampered as Meta-Knight due to not being able to use his jumps to his advantage in those areas.

Conversely, the following stages are the absolute WORST stages for fighting Meta-Knight. They're similarly ranked, from worst to barely-manageable:

Norfair - Norfair is brutal, since the stage is little more than five large platforms, four of which are drop-throughs with grabbable edges. Shuttle Loops will come at you from EVERYWHERE at high-percents, followed by those high-priority glide attacks. You can deal with the glide, but the initial up+B hit is KO City. All of the platforms are also relatively small, which is good for MK's close-range preference, but the highest two are far apart, which can help you figure out what to do next. The bottom platform, thankfully, is not a drop-through and is one of the better areas for fighting (Ivy's Vine Whip can catch MK off-guard on the middle two platforms). The hazards are neutral here, since your throws offer more positioning leverage for utilizing them than his do...but he can just f-air WoP you into them if you let him. FUN FACT: The Safe Capsule is NOT a Safe Capsule against MK. Just shield the lava wave.

Delfino Square - Delfino Square is also nasty, because it is a close-encounter stage that has three drop-through platforms (too high for Spore Smash, I think) and a floor that can be passed through from below...guess what that means? You guessed it, Shuttle Loop KOs. To be fair, Fly can be similarly used here, but you still have the landing-lag/vulnerable freefall, whereas Meta-Knight will simply glide to safety. Waterfall has enough start-up lag that it can be predicted if used as pass-through attack, and that will get you in trouble, so don't try it unless ledge-hopped for the usual safe return-to-stage. The final suck? The tour-of-Delfino platform stage has small horizontal stage-boundaries, as opposed to the larger ones in some of the other stages. This is definitely in Meta-Knight's favor, since as Elliot stated a moment ago, that's where his kills tend to go.

MINOR POSITIVES: The stage changes are your primary help here, and only half of them. Three of the six stage changes are not in your favor AT ALL (two tower areas: walls; old-school grass-platforms: lack of ground-space), whereas two of the other three briefly but definitely shift the match your way, no matter who you're currently playing as. The two plaza stages offer walk-off edges, which are way more useful for your throws than his, and ample horizontal space to work with overall. The island stage is...kinda' in his favor, since the slants can make him more difficult to hit or grab on the ground, taking away from your advantage, and although the water would be in your favor for things like Squirtle/Charizard d-airs, odds are Meta-Knight won't land in it. Finally, as an inverse, the vertical ceiling here is relatively low compared to most of Brawl's stages, especially on the grassy-platform area. Use it.

Halberd - This is like Delfino Lite. Same principle during the stage travel due to the pass-up'n'through main platform, but once you get to the Halberd itself, you've actually got a significant advantage, since it's a bigger FD plus minor hazards and one long, central platform. The problem is that the stage is large enough that Meta-Knight can easily just camp away from you and wait 'till take-off again before attacking if he wants. Meta-Knight's defense isn't phenomenal, but he can still easily punish your approach with such a large stage, if you're not careful. This is the stage you'll probably have to deal with if you win the first or second match, since Norfair is OCCASIONALLY auto-banned and you can take care of Delfino yourself at places that allow players one ban a set.

POSTIVE: PLENTY of room for Squirtle to have good shellshifting approaches during on-Halberd segments, helping out his match-up tremendously. Actually dealing damage may still be difficult, but at least taking it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
About the stages: Shadow Mosses destroys Metas. But is banned in many tourneys, so don't count very much on it. Battlefield is actually a double-sided sword (does that term exist? my horrible english...). MK can actually shuttle-loop and reduce lag if lands in one of the platforms, but when he is not shuttle-looping like crazy he is very vulnerable from being attacked from below. My advice: stay on the ground, and keep MK far of it.

My thoughts:

SQUIRTLE:
I agree on Squirtle being the most painful match for PT. Meta has a ridiculous priority and has enough speed to attack first. Squirtle's bair and tilts can be fast, but they become less useful when need for a KO, specially when fatigued.
Squirtle cannot be very defensive, so spacing and auto-cancelling is crucial on this.
Squirtles Fairs are opaqued by Meta's Fairs and even Nairs. If you dare to approach from above, he can Uair/Nair you. Or worst. He can Shuttle Loop you.
I'd say Shellshifting is important in this matchup, as this should be played as hit-and-run style. Attack, then run before he can catch you.
Save your throws, and edgeguard carefully. You usually don't want to be shuttle looped far away from the stage.

IVYSAUR:
Ivy style is very defensive, but it doesn't work quite well against MK. He has the many jumps, which makes Razor Leaves easily avoidable. His Ftilt and Dsmash win Ivy's Down whatever, Dtilts and even maybe short-hopped Bairs. Fsmash can be deadly if well spaced, but it is still risky.
On the other hand, Meta REALLY fears Ivy's Uwhatevers. Usmash *****, Uair has a great chance to kill, and even Vine Whip comes handy, even though it has not as good vertical knockback.
Bullet seed does nothing. Nair may be useful for approaching from below in stages that have platforms like Battlefield, but not as useful as for large, slow characters. Grabs are too slow to be pulled off effectively. And, on top of that, Ivy is almost dead if MK manages to get you off stage (at stage level, where Ivy cannot recover), even at low percents.
I think Ivy still has a disadvantage, but is minor and can be overcome if played aggressively.

CHARIZARD:
Charizard can outrange MK, which is something not many characters can do. She is big (which means is a good target for MK), but her size also helps her from being air-juggled, shuttle-looped-to-death. Beware of the tornado, though.
Rock smash can be used when you predict a shuttle loop, but don't count on it very much. Charizard is a very good shield-grabber, so I agree on the idea of playing defensively. She can also spike, which is a good thing against meta.
This match is by no means easy, but Char has less disadvantages than the other two fellows.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Shellshifting = majorly overrated because it's not very fast or confusing, but HEY, what do I know, right? <_>

Perhaps I should face other Metas to confirm my theories. There's only one I've found that I regularly play with that I can really use as a benchmark since he's about as good as I am, a little better.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
It's only the Squirtle match I'm debating here. I agree on the others. It's just, from my games with my said sparring partner, I simply can't see the match as bad for Squirtle. At the very least, it's FAR from a big weak.

I'll see what I can do.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
As i already gave my matchup opinion, im gonna give some advice when playing 'x' pokemon againnst metaknight
Squirtle: Its a very hard matchup for you, but if you play smart you can get some good results. Squirtle is a little faster than metakngiht, so use it for you. Jab combos work great, also ftilt and utilt( not so good because metaknight is light and can scape easily), but the multihit dtilt also helps a lot. I know this is rare to say when you talk about squirlte, but... try to fight in the land, never in the air, metaknight can really destroy you in that case..... Also, a good think to have in count is that your biggest disadvantage is the lack of range, so the most ranged attacks that you wont need in other ocasions can be really handy in this fight, specially the attacks with the water disjointed hitbox, like nair and dsmash(those two can really help you), maybe a uncharged water gun can stop metaknights approach, but dont rely into it too much. A underated attack that will help you a lot in this matchup is waterfall. Its squirtles most ranged attack, and it has a good prioirty and can deal good damage, also it can help you a lot in the airfight, just dont get too predictable with it. Also, fsmash can help you a lot against metaknights priority. Usmash really HURTS metaknight, but you better save it for high or medium percents, hydroplaning is really handy in this fight.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
It is pretty agreed that Meta is strong against Squirtle, and sorta strong against Ivysaur. Charizard is sorta strong and we should go to the next character. Because he is so ****ing broken, should we try Marth next?

infernovia

Smash Ace
No, this matchup hasn't been explored yet. I wanna see the result of the meta v. PT matches in the metaknight board before we move onto another character.

Elliot Gale seems to have some right ideas, Ftilt's range is really nice and comes out instantaneously. Obviously, aerials are more troublesome, but I think bair goes even with metaknight's attacks in terms of range...

Oh, and in the topic of Charizard, is there anyway that we can make it a battle of attrition? Because if we can, the Metaknight matchup is going to be a lot easier on Zard (as he is more heavy).

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I do believe this is my opening.

Okay, well, I've been forced to play this match up A LOT since day one, and the stuff I'm about to say could only come from many dozens of games worth of analysis.

Squirtle vs. Meta Knight

I really used to think Squirtle got his *** handed to him on a silver platter here, but I've come to realize this just isn't true. Believe it or not, Meta Knight's range is actually not a lot larger than yours, and he's a significantly slower attacker. Crazy right? No, not really - Ftilt and Jabs are your best friends, even more than they usually are. The auto canceled Nairs come into play a lot, and the rest of the air game is just dandy as well. If they start shield whoring, then you grab them instead (or shield their shield attack and just jab). A MAJOR plus to this match up should be obvious: Squirtle actually kills this character reasonably!

The biggest trouble Squirtle faces are the specials, and he's more than capable of just getting the hell out of the way. Obviously, don't try attacking from above.

50-50, without question.

Ivysaur vs. Meta Knight

Shuttle can be a *****.
I just had a bit of a refresher course on Metaknight. Squirtle is nowhere near as bad as anyone here is making him out to be. Squirtle has to play defensively versus Metaknight, which is perhaps why no one cares to agree. However, Squirtle does great on land, and Ftilt is definately the go-to attack. I'm going to have to agree with Galey, here.

As far as Ivysaur goes, the glide attack is not a pain at all with Bair, I can hit Metaknight out of it while remaining totally safe. But I'll agree with the rest, too. Once Ivysaur gets launched into the air, there's bound to be trouble. x2 Weakness.

I'll agree with Charizard, even if I am incapable of getting it to work. I know it does.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
so it's slight weakness for Squirtle and Ivysaur and a slight strength for Charizard right?

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Oh, and in the topic of Charizard, is there anyway that we can make it a battle of attrition? Because if we can, the Metaknight matchup is going to be a lot easier on Zard (as he is more heavy).
No need. Meta is the one that needs to do all the work. Zard can just sit back and punish reckless behavior with Rock Smash, Flamethrower, etc. Aside from those, Utilt and Usmash makes Meta cry too.

And I guess this should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway since it's rather important:

You cannot edgeguard a well played Meta Knight. To anyone who is, stop trying. It's far more troublesome edgeguarding Meta than any other character in the game. It is not worth the risk. One shuttle off stage, and you're probably dead.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I thought that we should do G&W after Meta Knight.

Anyway, on topic. I haven't played a good MK yet, but I would be glad to conduct tests, if needed.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
No need. Meta is the one that needs to do all the work. Zard can just sit back and punish reckless behavior with Rock Smash, Flamethrower, etc. Aside from those, Utilt and Usmash makes Meta cry too.

And I guess this should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway since it's rather important:

You cannot edgeguard a well played Meta Knight. To anyone who is, stop trying. It's far more troublesome edgeguarding Meta than any other character in the game. It is not worth the risk. One shuttle off stage, and you're probably dead.
Yeah, I'm quoting this because that last part is so true.

Metaknight is ungimpable.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Fine, I do plan on getting my arse kicked, though - when I said never played a good MK, I meant never PLAYED one EVER, LOL!

Your friend code? - I'll get mine in a bit.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
GGs Onxy. Hopefully you see where I'm coming from when I say Squirtle isn't bad against Meta Knight... and that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to PT in general. lol

Spear Pillar game would have been more fun if lag didn't **** it. :chuckle:

Onxy

Smash Lord
I never said that Squirtle was bad against MK....

I'm starting to feel as if I reached my limitations on this game, like I can't get any better - and that would suck for me, considering that I don't play so well, my wins are usually from the guy killing himself on accident.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Oh, you can go a lot farther, believe me. I actually dropped PT for a long time. I cycled through a lot of characters, settled on ICs and Falco, then one day I just picked up PT again on a whim. I don't regret it; I started to do a lot better since I had gained a lot more experience. Now I'm at a point where I'm very satisfied with the results, like I'm realizing the real potential of the character.

And I still have a lot farther to go myself. Just keep at it.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Yeah, your Charizard is harder to approach than your MK, so is your Ivy, and how you killed me with her before I even hit you.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I don't really play MK. The way I play him is just a compilation of techniques that my Meta friends have used against me. I'm actually quite fond of him that way - like I've got a team behind me or something.

Onxy

Smash Lord
You know people, this discussion isn't over...........

Bump

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
You know people, this discussion isn't over...........

Bump
I've said everything I want to say. I'm personally waiting for the next matchup.

And yeah. sometimes the best way to improve is to walk away for awhile. It worked for my Lucas.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Ok, time for givnig advice with the next pokemon against metaknight:
Ivysaur: Your big friend in this matchup is your range, you can totally control metaknight if you space well, but be carefull, you gotta play even more defensive than normally, razor leaf wont help you too much, since metaknight can easily evade it, also bullet seed is kinda useless becuase of meta's weight. You gotta be carefull when attacking or spacing because metknight can approach to you easily, alos. never fight in the air, metaknight really can destroy you there (even more than squirtle, also, he can gimp you eaisly), dont try to use nair, metaknight is too small target and will hit you witth a ranged attack before you touch him, if you are in th air, Fair can be really usefull, an maybe a chain of Bairs too. Keep in mind that metaknght can be easily killed by your usmash or uair, so try to surprise him with that, also Fsmash to Fair guarding can be pretty effective

Top Bottom