• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Discussion Thread

Zurangatang

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zurangatang
I think your roommate needs to stop blaming Villager and blame himself.

Mega Buster is SO GOOD. There is nothing to stop Mega Man from trying to overrun Villager with projectiles that aren't worth pocketing. That's the weakness of the move: You can only hold one thing, and pocketing takes time. Not that I think Villager is at a disadvantage in this MU; I think it's pretty fair for both sides at a high level. Too soon to ask for things to be buffed or nerf when others in the same position would just adapt.
I agree. His salt is so tasty.

Hong

The Strongest
I agree. His salt is so tasty.
Ha ha. Not even the bottomless pockets of the Villager can hold all the salt we seem to draw out of people. :)

Someone literally ragequit after they airdodged my Lloid, only to get hit by another Lloid which I had pocketed only because they reflected it at me earlier. No other character can do that kind of stuff.

1FC0

Smash Lord
If you catch a R.O.B.'s Gyro, then you must always throw it back as soon as possible! It is better not to Pocket his Gyro at all!

Pepto

Smash Cadet
Something really important that I hadn't seen mentioned is that pocketed items disappear if they're not used within 30sec. Upon finding out pocketed tree is a OHKO I immediately started workshopping a double Villager team, but we noticed that by the time we got a tree setup, it wasn't they're anymore. So just be mindful, and make sure to pass the tree back and forth regularly to keep it in play, since repocketing resets the 30sec timer.

Note: this works in every case. With Diddy's banana, ROB's gyro, Bowser Jr's mechakoopa, etc, unpocketing the item, then immediately repocketing it resets the timer and still prevents them from spawning another.

Also, Villager team has a team true combo into the tree.

V1: grab/u throw
V2: footstool
V1: usmash
V2: pocket (drop tree)
V1: pocket (absorb tree)

It's relatively fast, and kills regardless of percent, plus it leaves the tree in play for another OHKO. The downside is that fast characters can interrupt it, but there's still the potential that they'll kill themselves with the tree by trying to interrupt.

And yes, it's inescapable. If your opponent is getting away from it, you're footstooling too low. It's easiest if V2 spams jump, that way 2nd jump comes out sooner and he starts falling earlier, and he'll footstool at the first possible instance.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Villager, when standing on the ground, can refresh Wario's bike after he pockets it, if you press B right after you release the bike.

Do with that what you will.

Last edited:

Grovfu

Smash Rookie
NNID
XMister_RatburnX
Here's what I've gathered so far, or at least what I believe hasn't been directly stated yet.
  • You cannot pocket Cuccos.
  • You cannot pocket Luma's star bits.
  • You can pocket Bowser and Charizard's flamebreath. This acts as a very small burst of that flame effect, in respect to each owner. You cannot, however, pocket the Fire Flower's flame.
  • Unpocketing a universal item that automatically takes effect on a user upon normal pickup makes the item take effect on villager. this includes the following:
    • Food, Maxim Tomatoes, Heart Containers, and Fairy Bottles (When you're over 100%, of course)
    • Bunny Hoods
    • Franklin Badges
    • Hammers and Golden Hammers
    • Screw Attacks
    • Mushrooms
    • Starmen
    • Superspicy Curry
    • Timers
    • Warpstars
    • Back Shield
    • Rocket Belt
    • Super Leaf
  • Pocketing/Unpocketing will refresh the fuse for a Bob-Omb.
  • You can pocket the gusts from the Gust Bellows.
  • You can pocket an incoming blue shell.
  • You can pocket the Ore Club's tornadoes.
  • Pocketing a collectible item makes the Villager consume/take the item as if he/she grabbed it. These items are:
    • CDs
    • Customization Bags
    • Trophies
    • Daybreak Pieces and Dragoon Pieces
  • If you throw a pocketed fire hydrant from Pac-Man, the water from that fire hydrant is still pocketable, as it's a universal effector.
I'll keep looking, but I just wanted to put this all there. I'm also using what I believe to be the older version of the game, so some of these may not be true anymore.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I began compiling a list of what percentages pocketed projectiles kill the original user (for example, Fully Charged Pocketed Water Shuriken kills Greninja at 61% from the middle of Battlefield), as well as how much damage the projectiles are amplified to. Might be good to have for reference.

Grovfu

Smash Rookie
NNID
XMister_RatburnX
I began compiling a list of what percentages pocketed projectiles kill the original user (for example, Fully Charged Pocketed Water Shuriken kills Greninja at 61% from the middle of Battlefield), as well as how much damage the projectiles are amplified to. Might be good to have for reference.
Oh god, I'd love to see this list.

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
WFT's soccer ball can be hoarded. This might not always be advised however, as w/o the ball she can cleanly spike us with header now.

captain clutch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Clutch_Captain
3DS FC
4167-5308-5514
Along with the hydrant, Villy can pocket PacMan's trampoline for a satisfying gimp. Also the pellet that appears during Pac's side b. Pocketing the fruit makes Pac unable to generate more fruit ONLY when Villager is holding the fruit, not in pocket

Top Bottom