• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Discussion Thread

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
While lurking around smashboards in lieu of the flood of Smash media and info we've been receiving over the past 48 hours, there were 2 things I was looking for that I realized we don't have yet: 1) a thread showing/detailing all of the custom special moves and 2) a comprehensive list of everything Murabito (sounds cooler) can pocket. So here it is! This is starting with everything I've personally seen pocketed and with everyone's help, we can fully flesh it out! In order to provide more detail, certain items will have a ** next to them with a note of their special properties if they have any

CONFIRMED POCKETABLE ITEMS, OBJECTS, & HAZARDS:

Universal:
  • All game items (obviously) EXCEPT Assist Trophies, Smash Balls, Pokeballs, and Master Balls
Mario:
  • Fireballs
  • FLUDD
Link:
  • Arrows
  • Boomerang
  • Bomb** [Transfers to hand when released rather than just being thrown]
Murabito:
  • Tree** [Only an opponent Villager's OR your own IF FIRST REFLECTED]
  • Loid Rocket** [Refer to Tree]
  • Forward Smash (bowling ball)
  • Fair/Bair (slingshot pellets)
  • Running Attack (the potted plant)
Megaman:
  • Forward Smash (blast)
  • Up Air (the tornado)
  • Metal Blade
  • Up B (Rush)
  • Down Air** [Continues straight down when released]
  • Leaf Shield
  • Lemons (jab/f-tilt/nair)
Fox
  • Lasers
Falco
  • Lasers
Pikachu:
  • Thundershock
  • Down B** [Lightning bolt is smaller than Pikachu's and goes straight down from its spawn point in front of Villager]
Pit:
  • Arrows
African American Pit:
  • Arrows
Zelda
  • Down B (phantom)
Lucario
  • Aura Sphere
Samus
  • Charge Shot
  • Missles
Zero Suit Samus
  • Blaster shots
Can he pocket dedede's gordos? can he pocket the final cutter beam?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Villager can pocket their the timber from their own felled tree but no the tree itself. And I'm fairly certain he can pocket a lot of DH's stuff.

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
I believe it was shown off that Villager can grab Zelda's Phantom. I don't remember where though.
Yup, Villager can pocket her phantom, (Not sure if I'm late to reply to this so I am just doing it now) Sakurai himself showed that when he showed her new move off.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
I messed around with Villager a bit in the demo and found these, though I'm not sure if you want to put them in the list.

- Can pocket the tornado generated by the Ore Club if you use the Ore Club for a side smash
- The Galga can be pocketed and reused, so if its beam misses, you can pocket + take it out again for a second chance
- It's already known that you can pocket Thunder, but the range at which you can pocket it from is INSANE, like about two characters away, so you can actually do this very safely.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Having 2 villagers in a doubles seems very intimidating. The pocket attack is what basically runs this thing.

-Lloid Rocket
-Falling Tree
-Fair/Bair
-FSmash
-Dash Attack

These are all the things you can pocket. You can chainpocket (I made that word up) by using one of these attacks, and letting the other villager pocket it, spit it out (rinse and repeat), you can rack up damage for a projectile. What do you think is the most efficient way to chainpocket?

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
The Villager's pocket only amplifies the damage of a projectile 1 time. That doesn't mean giving something to your teammate wouldn't still be effective anyways.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to what happens if Villager pockets Wario's bike.

Is it the same case as Diddy's banana where he's unable to use the special until he gets it back from him, or can he simply make a new bike like how Megaman can make a new Metal Blade if it gets pocketed?

D_B_S

Smash Lord
Not Sure if this has been mention--

Villager can store multiple items. Good Tech for Teams and Single Matches.

--The Item Must Be Re-throw-able? i.e Flame Sword, Diddy bananas, villager saplings, Megaman blade, Rob gyro , Home run bat.

Steps.. Store a compatible item,, Pick Up another Item .. You Now can switch between Items with Neutral B.

Example: In a Diddy Singles or double match ups.. You Can pocket a banana.. Then you can Pick Up a Banana.. You now have two bananas lol.

Various characters and team match-ups will give you a wide variety of stored item.

officialsticktendo

Smash Rookie
NNID
sticktendo
Not sure why it hasn't been mentioned yet, but he can pocket Mega Man's Crash Bombs. Also, I was curious to see if he could pocket Samus's down-B bombs or any of Ness's specials. I only have the demo so I can't try for myself.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Din's Fire was more of a moving hitbox than a projectile, in which its only tangible upon explosion. I'd assume Villager would be unable to pocket.

I'm curious if Villager can pocket Duck Hunt's heat barrel and clay pigeon, Rosalina's Luma, and Olimar's Pikmin. Anyone who has the Japanese version of the game, feel free to test this.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
If he can pocket Rush, I would assume he can pocket Beat as well?

My only question is whether Megaman can still use them if they've been pocketed.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Can he pocket the sparks on Villager Upsmash?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
No. It's not considered a projectile.

I'm curious as to whether he can pocket a PK Flash or DIn's Fire explosion, though,

Din's Fire was more of a moving hitbox than a projectile, in which its only tangible upon explosion. I'd assume Villager would be unable to pocket.

I'm curious if Villager can pocket Duck Hunt's heat barrel and clay pigeon, Rosalina's Luma, and Olimar's Pikmin. Anyone who has the Japanese version of the game, feel free to test this.
That makes sense, the intangibility thing. So Villager might not be able to Pocket it at all, since you can only Pocket objects, and not pure hitboxes (which is what explosions basically are).

You can't Pocket Luma, and I'm not sure about the Pikmin, but I don't think you can. I'm nearly certain you can Pocket DHD's clay pigeons and cans though

If he can pocket Rush, I would assume he can pocket Beat as well?

My only question is whether Megaman can still use them if they've been pocketed.
Mega Man can still spawn another Rush even if Villager had Pocketed one of his previous ones. Idk what Beat is?

No. It's not considered a projectile.

I'm curious as to whether he can pocket a PK Flash or DIn's Fire explosion, though,
I'm gonna have to guess no on PK Flash.

Also, Villager can indeed Pocket Sheik's needles. It was as I thought; the only reason it seemed you couldn't was because people were trying to Pocket them while the rest of the needles would hit, interrupting the Pocket. Since you can only Pocket one unit (one needle), you'd have to be positioned so that you'd Pocket the needle without being hit by any others.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClSfAKVPLg

I don't remember at what point in the video you can see Pwing Pocketing a needle, but I'll edit this later with that.

Last edited:

Heatwizard

Smash Rookie
I sat down with a buddy to do some village science.

Duck Hunt: You can pocket the can; unpocketing it tosses it in a small grenade arc, and it explodes upon contact with anything. Tossing it while standing and neglecting to move afterwards places you in the blast radius, so watch out for that.
You can pocket clays.
You can't pocket the Wild Gunman, but you can pluck their bullets out of midair.

Villager: In addition to being able to pocket the tree, you can also pocket one chunk of the water from the watering can. It's not enough to grow a tree or meaningfully push anyone so I have no idea why you'd want to, but the option exists. Is stealing one block enough to prevent the tree from growing?
(edit: Some megaman players like to toss out jab pellets at villager just to try to trick him into pocketing one on accident, so against another villager you could try to clog up their pockets with water, maybe?)
Despite the fact that Fox can reflect upsmash fireworks, the pocket can't pick them up.

Palutena: You can pocket Holotarget lasers, though if you're still in the way of the rest of the burst you'll be cancelled and get nothing. The bullets retain the angle they were fired at; if Palutena was shooting up at you, you'll get a bullet that, when unpocketed, flies away at a 45 degree angle.
You can pocket Celestial Fireworks.
You cannot pocket the reflect wall.

Ness: You can pocket PK Thunder. It flies directly forward when unpocketed.
You can pocket PK Fire.
You cannot pocket PK Flash.

Rob: You can pocket gyromite, as well as the charge laser, though I imagine these are obvious.

Falco: You cannot pocket reflector.

Zelda: You cannot pocket Din's Fire. (TRAGEDY)

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Villager can pocket their the timber from their own felled tree but no the tree itself. And I'm fairly certain he can pocket a lot of DH's stuff.
Villager can pocket DHD's can, and that one attack that's like a missle goes really far/slow and kinda looks like a q-tip (sorry im bad at describing stuff), and im pretty sure other things too - this is vital to the villager-DHD MU and is how ive been winning the matchup online.

he can pocket mega mans fully charged gigantic laser thing that will **** you up. i did this to my roommate in sudden death

Villager CANNOT pocket G&W's bucket, I repeat, DO NOT TRY THIS VS GW/PIKA IN DUBS

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Pocketing Wario's bike, Diddy's bananas, or ROB's gyros will prevent them from producing a new one until Villager loses it.

Which is especially bad for Wario, considering that his recovery is mediocre without his bike.

Quonus

Smash Rookie
Villegar can also pocket Lucarios force palm (the one that gets huge as his % rises), didnt see anyone mention that before...

Pocketing Wario's bike, Diddy's bananas, or ROB's gyros will prevent them from producing a new one until Villager loses it.

Which is especially bad for Wario, considering that his recovery is mediocre without his bike.
The same thing happens with Pac-Man's bonus fruit and Bowser Jr.'s Mechakoopas :067:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think the Pac-man can only not pull out bonus fruit if it's out on the field, if villager has it in his pocket then he can get more

Yes that is correct. Hoarding (shameless plug) only works with bonus fruit if you're actually holding it in your hands. I think the same goes for Mechakoopas. This isn't the case for bananas, gyros, and bikes

Rakurai

Smash Ace
A pocketed fire hydrant behaves exactly as it does when Pac-Man deploys it. It falls straight to the ground with a hitbox if it's dropped in the air, then can be hit into other players, but benefits from the Pocket multiplier on both hits.

However, you can only pocket the hydrant while its hitbox is active.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Has there been any research into the effects Pocket has on projectiles and if special properties they may have are still applied when Villager uses them? I ask because it seems to increase the speed of Aura Sphere (according to Lucario mains its speed is dependent on its damage, and with the 1.9x damage multiplier it should go significantly faster. Also worth testing is if the damage it deals is based on Lucario's percent when pocketed or Villager's when used). In a few matches with a (mediocre) ZSS last night, pocketed Paralyzer shots seemed to stun her longer than they would have stunned me. Another demonstrative example would be Thoron's attribute where it does more damage and knockback if the special button is held as it's used. Does that apply to Villager, too?

On a side note with Thoron, pocketing it is one of the funniest animations I've seen.

Last edited:
I think Pocket does indeed increase the "max" flight speed for AS because like you and P1 said it is damage output-dependent. Idk about the paralyser thing though. I feel it might just have to do with the fact that stun, burying, sleeping, etc duration is calculated with the victim's final damage, so since a pocketed paralyser shot does more than a regular one, it will stun longer. Unless stun also somehow factors in KB, in which case then it wouldn't be that simple since pocket also adds a KB multiplier. So like what I'm saying is that it is possible for a regular Charge Shot to leave the opponent at 49% damage (because of prior damage), and at a final damage of 49% 50 units of KB will be applied, but it will never be able to apply 60 units KB at 49% damage like a pocketed one would, because it doesn't get the multiplier. Maybe something like this happens with the paralyser? I'm gonna test it.

As for Thoron I think that if the Robin increased Thoron's damage/KB with the button trick at the time Thoron was pocketed, then those values will be used in pocket's calculation, since its base damage was essentially changed (the increase on Robin's end wasn't a multiplier)

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Pac-Man's trampoline is a valid Pocket item.

He can still make new trampolines while it's out, but it could have useful applications as an edgeguarding trap, as it forces you to jump when you touch it while grounded, regardless of whether you're in invincibility frames or not.

You can also freely repocket it after it's placed.

Last edited:
Pac-Man's trampoline is a valid Pocket item.

He can still make new trampolines while it's out, but it could have useful applications as an edgeguarding trap, as it forces you to jump when you touch it while grounded, regardless of whether you're in invincibility frames or not.

You can also freely repocket it after it's placed.
This is true, although the lack of it being reset by Pocket is a bit of a hindrance. But it really shines as a Pocketable object when it's the custom variation that spikes (I honestly don't know what it's called). My friend plays a decent Pac-Man, and he was experimenting with customs. At one point he short hopped one of those trampolines, and it was pretty good for stage control because you are forced to either roll past it or full jump over it. So I decided to Pocket it, knocked him off the stage with an FTilt, and set it up right at the lip. The 9% KO was really satisfying to say the least.

Obviously though we don't know how common custom-legal tournaments will be, or if that variation of Pac-Jump will even be the most useful one for higher-level Pac-Man mains, but it's still a thought.

Jimray3

Smash Rookie
Bowser Jr.'s cannonball and mecha koopa are both pocketable.

Last edited:

Quonus

Smash Rookie
Funny when facing Wiifit Trainer.You can not only pocket the side B but when you land a hit by rethrowing it,the ball also bounces back and you can repocket it and proceed again.

Also its quite useful if your opponent has a reflect and gets predictable with it.Repocket your own tree for instant tree (works well mid-air as it falls).But im not sure if someone has tested this:what if your opponent is villager.Does the repocketed item each time gain strength?

Nope, pocket removes any non-charging damage and knockback multipliers and applies its own. So you can't pass a tree around between two villagers to get a 999% redwood of environmental vengeance (by non-charging multipliers I mean it doesn't remove the damage increase from charged smash attacks or specials).

birdmanman

Smash Rookie
Can he pocket Yoshi's eggs? Also, has anyone been able to pocket a reflected tree?

Yes, you can pocket eggs, and you can pocket any reflected projectile as long as it is on the list

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I love pocketing Wario's bike and watching my opponent try to summon it back. It's too funny.

Pusha

Smash Rookie
Pocketing in doubles with 2 villagers can be very useful, even if you can't rack up damage, pocketing a tree or bowling ball gives you instant kill moves as opposed to having to plant the tree and cut it down or risk missing your bowling ball and being open to punishment.

Also, the pocket makes villager ditto's the single most fun thing in smash ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward Qiao

Smash Rookie
While lurking around smashboards in lieu of the flood of Smash media and info we've been receiving over the past 48 hours, there were 2 things I was looking for that I realized we don't have yet: 1) a thread showing/detailing all of the custom special moves and 2) a comprehensive list of everything Murabito (sounds cooler) can pocket. So here it is! This is starting with everything I've personally seen pocketed and with everyone's help, we can fully flesh it out! In order to provide more detail, certain items will have a ** next to them with a note of their special properties if they have any

CONFIRMED POCKETABLE ITEMS, OBJECTS, & HAZARDS:

Universal:
  • All game items (obviously) EXCEPT Assist Trophies, Smash Balls, Pokeballs, and Master Balls
Mario:
  • Fireballs
  • FLUDD
Link:
  • Arrows
  • Boomerang
  • Bomb** [Transfers to hand when released rather than just being thrown]
Murabito:
  • Tree** [Only an opponent Villager's OR your own IF FIRST REFLECTED]
  • Loid Rocket** [Refer to Tree]
  • Forward Smash (bowling ball)
  • Fair/Bair (slingshot pellets)
  • Running Attack (the potted plant)
Megaman:
  • Forward Smash (blast)
  • Up Air (the tornado)
  • Metal Blade
  • Up B (Rush)
  • Down Air** [Continues straight down when released]
  • Leaf Shield
  • Lemons (jab/f-tilt/nair)
Fox
  • Lasers
Falco
  • Lasers
Pikachu:
  • Thundershock
  • Down B** [Lightning bolt is smaller than Pikachu's and goes straight down from its spawn point in front of Villager]
Pit:
  • Arrows
African American Pit:
  • Arrows
Zelda
  • Down B (phantom)
Lucario
  • Aura Sphere
Samus
  • Charge Shot
  • Missles
Zero Suit Samus
  • Blaster shots
He can also pocket pacman's fire hydrant, water from the fire hydrant, and the fruit things

Zurangatang

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zurangatang
my roomate plays mega man who is just food for villager. He was johning that villagers pocket is too op and needs to get nerfed because when you take out a pocketed attack it comes out too fast. He thinks it should be nerfed. What do y'all think?

Hong

The Strongest
my roomate plays mega man who is just food for villager. He was johning that villagers pocket is too op and needs to get nerfed because when you take out a pocketed attack it comes out too fast. He thinks it should be nerfed. What do y'all think?
I think your roommate needs to stop blaming Villager and blame himself.

Mega Buster is SO GOOD. There is nothing to stop Mega Man from trying to overrun Villager with projectiles that aren't worth pocketing. That's the weakness of the move: You can only hold one thing, and pocketing takes time. Not that I think Villager is at a disadvantage in this MU; I think it's pretty fair for both sides at a high level. Too soon to ask for things to be buffed or nerf when others in the same position would just adapt.

Top Bottom