• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Discussion Thread

TenZaBlade

Smash Rookie
While lurking around smashboards in lieu of the flood of Smash media and info we've been receiving over the past 48 hours, there were 2 things I was looking for that I realized we don't have yet: 1) a thread showing/detailing all of the custom special moves and 2) a comprehensive list of everything Murabito (sounds cooler) can pocket. So here it is! This is starting with everything I've personally seen pocketed and with everyone's help, we can fully flesh it out! In order to provide more detail, certain items will have a ** next to them with a note of their special properties if they have any

CONFIRMED POCKETABLE ITEMS, OBJECTS, & HAZARDS:

Universal:
  • All game items (obviously) EXCEPT Assist Trophies, Smash Balls, Pokeballs, and Master Balls
Mario:
  • Fireballs
  • FLUDD
Link:
  • Arrows
  • Boomerang
  • Bomb** [Transfers to hand when released rather than just being thrown]
Murabito:
  • Tree** [Only an opponent Villager's OR your own IF FIRST REFLECTED]
  • Loid Rocket** [Refer to Tree]
  • Forward Smash (bowling ball)
  • Fair/Bair (slingshot pellets)
  • Running Attack (the potted plant)
Megaman:
  • Forward Smash (blast)
  • Up Air (the tornado)
  • Metal Blade
  • Up B (Rush)
  • Down Air** [Continues straight down when released]
  • Leaf Shield
  • Lemons (jab/f-tilt/nair)
Fox
  • Lasers
Falco
  • Lasers
Pikachu:
  • Thundershock
  • Down B** [Lightning bolt is smaller than Pikachu's and goes straight down from its spawn point in front of Villager]
Pit:
  • Arrows
African American Pit:
  • Arrows
Zelda
  • Down B (phantom)
Lucario
  • Aura Sphere
Samus
  • Charge Shot
  • Missles
Zero Suit Samus
  • Blaster shots

Last edited:

Gaminguy010

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gaminguy010
I'm pretty sure I saw Villager pocket another Villager's Potted Sapling in a stream of the demo.

TenZaBlade

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure I saw Villager pocket another Villager's Potted Sapling in a stream of the demo.
I thought I saw that too but I wasn't sure. Need confirmation or more people saying they definitely saw it and I'll add it to the list

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
He can also pocket another Villager's bowling ball.

Dr. Mario's pills and Dark Pit's arrows probably too but we haven't seen that yet. (Oh but Pit's arrows can be added)

TenZaBlade

Smash Rookie
He can also pocket another Villager's bowling ball.

Dr. Mario's pills and Dark Pit's arrows probably too but we haven't seen that yet. (Oh but Pit's arrows can be added)
Adding to the list

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Something that I found today while playing the demo is that Villager's Pocket (Neutral B) clanks non-physical Smashes.

I was about to get wrecked by Pikachu's charged Forward Smash. Now, my PM :charizard: instincts kicked in here, so I quickly smacked B. The attack was clanked and the FSmash dealt no damage to me.

Pucciogaeshi

Smash Rookie
You might want to add that Megaman's Metal Blade is also spawned in hand, like Link's bombs.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I believe it was shown off that Villager can grab Zelda's Phantom. I don't remember where though.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Villager can pocket Zelda's Phantom Slash

... :urg:

EDIT: derp ninja'd. It was last April at the smash direct @ AnOkayDM AnOkayDM

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I wasn't able to pocket PK flash on the explosion part, anyone know if he can pocket the charge or PK flash at all?

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't pocket a Pokeball but I guess that counts in about the same way as Assist Trophies. I love how you can switch between the thing in your pocket and the thing in your hand with the pocket move :p I can tell this move will definitely come in handy ;)

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
OMG thats so awesome..... Do you know what happens if he unpockets?
does he use his own, or the one he pocketed? Or is the Smash ball just released?

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Nothing happens. You can see Villager shrugging his arms because he didn't grab anything.

Villager is using invincibility frames of the Pocket to avoid Link's Final Smash. I'm pretty sure this won't work on every Final Smash, and no, he gets nothing out of this other than avoiding the Final Smash (which is still broken if you ask me).

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
You can also pocket Megaman's pellets. The neutral a / nair that is. You can also pocket Megaman's Leaf Shield, the down-b. I think it's also worth mentioning that I can't pocket pokeballs on the ground, but you can pocket a pokeball that somebody has thrown.

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
You can pocket Villager's bair and fair pellets.
You can pocket Megaman's leaf shield.

!BSP

Banned via Warnings
I wasn't able to pocket PK flash on the explosion part, anyone know if he can pocket the charge or PK flash at all?
Any update on this? Doubles meta game may hinge on it.

Last edited:
Pocket also grants intangibility during certain attacks. I'll have to test it out more, but I know for a fact that it grants intangibility when trying Pocket a Lloid Rocket another Villager is riding (i.e. they pass right through you and you incur no damage, knockback, hitstun, etc.).

That makes sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35BxjRrGpY

Villager isn't cancelling the final smash here, he's just intangible (possibly in the z axis?) so it's the same thing as if Villager wasn't there and Link would try to final smash
Yes exactly. Ha ha I was looking for that same video. Basically Pocket works like a spotdodge, because that same thing happens in Brawl when spotdodging the beam of light from Link's final smash. They probably coded it like that to allow Villager to Pocket stuff without setting off the contact flag that would make a projectile end and do whatever it does. So like what I'm thinking is that Pocket is coded such that it if, say, Flag B is the flag that goes off when a projectile makes contact and causes it to end, because Villager "dodges" it, the flag never goes off. And if Flag A is the flag that tells the projectile that it is still active, while the thing is Pocketed, Flag A is kept on. That would explain why certain things like Mario's Fireball, Pikachu's Thunderjolt, and Megaman's FSmash automatically go their merry way when unpocketed, but other stuff like Link's Bombs and Mega Man's buzzsaws become held items when unpocketed.

Speaking of which, if Mega Man's buzzsaws are coded like grabbable items, then that might mean that there's a way for them to cancel the automatic throw and hold onto it, like Snake's platform-cancelled Grenade tosses.

All of this is just conjecture though, but its fun to think about right?

Edit2: It seems that you don't have to be attempting to pocket something for the intangibility to kick in. I was playing against an AI Mega Man. While I was holding a piece of timber, it shot its FSmash at me. I hit the B button, and while Pocketing the timber piece the blast didn't affect me. I'll do more testing to see if it was just a fluke and the FSmash didn't reach me at all, but if that isn't the case then Pocket can turn out to be pretty versatile.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i paused while using pocket and villager doesnt go into the z axis as he does with a spot doge, but pocketing has the same effect as a spot dodge.

That is correct. Pocket works like a spotdodge in that it gives your hurtbox intangibility, but if it were to make you go into the z-axis it wouldn't be able to Pocket things. Though I guess they could have done something funky like having Villager go into the z-axis but having the Pocketing hitbox stay in the x-axis a la Brawl Charizard's NAir, but that would be less elegant.

Cerberus290

Smash Rookie
I've had a similar experience, but with the bowling ball. During the demo, I keep accidentally using the side smash and I've noticed it blocks a few projectiles and non-physical smashes like Pikachu's side smash, link's arrow, and megaman's metal blade. I think I've had it block Link's side smash as well at some point, but I'm not absolutely sure of that.

ten Busch

Smash Cadet
He can also pocket Link's final smash (or the light beam that activates it)
People are saying he was out of range, but im very certain that Link's FS has a range far beyond that.

EDIT: Nevermind, he shrugs. It was just the armor frames i think.

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
It was neither, Link's final smash just acted as if it missed because he isn't tangible during certain frames of the pocket.

Top Bottom