• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Meh, ice mode's more fun for me to use. It's better suited to the way I play. Don't really care how good it is. :p

On topic, it's been a while since we've talked about Pit, and I'm curious about something. If Pit got another costume (though I'd be perfectly fine if we just got more Classic recolors), would you guys prefer the Three Sacred Treasures, or having him in the Uprising Fighter armor?

Pit only has 2 slots left now that he has a Classic Dark Pit, so he'll have to have some kind of alt.. I prefer the Fighter armor, just because Smash 4's already done something with the Sacred Treasures Pit and I wanna see something new.

There's also a Dark team color in the game that could be used for the last slot.
Right now, the ICs, Diddy, and Sonic are the only characters I don't have exact alternate costume ideas for. ICs can't really have alt colors for the Polar Bear alt, Diddy has a serious lack of good options from his games to choose from..

There are, however, a few decent ideas I like - Make DK Jr. a Semi-alt for Diddy, a white shirt with the J logo and remove his hat, make a Timber cosplay semi-alt; maybe by removing his shirt and giving him orange fur? I'm not sure how well that one would go.
And lastly, my own idea for a Diddy recolor would be to give him a camouflage shirt and hat with blueish fur to resemble Krusha. I bet that'll look pretty awesome on Diddy.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Mostly because ice dtilt is just bad, sends people too far to continue a combo. Her other Ice moves are pretty good actually
I'm not very competitive, but I usually use ice beam for launching and plasma beam for building up damage, that's just what I assumed it was for.
Beamswap on entering stage id say.
Neat! I noticed a little fire *fwoomph* as she enters the stage, but when I held :GCLT: it didn't do anything, that the right input?
Meh, ice mode's more fun for me to use. It's better suited to the way I play. Don't really care how good it is. :p

On topic, it's been a while since we've talked about Pit, and I'm curious about something. If Pit got another costume (though I'd be perfectly fine if we just got more Classic recolors), would you guys prefer the Three Sacred Treasures, or having him in the Uprising Fighter armor?

This is probably the only case where I want more recolours, but I'd also enjoy the latter of the two you suggested.
Eggplant Pit would be the god though.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm not very competitive, but I usually use ice beam for launching and plasma beam for building up damage, that's just what I assumed it was for.

Neat! I noticed a little fire *fwoomph* as she enters the stage, but when I held :GCLT: it didn't do anything, that the right input?
You hold her side taunt while her entrance animation plays.
This is probably the only case where I want more recolours, but I'd also enjoy the latter of the two you suggested.
Eggplant Pit would be the god though.
No arms :(

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Mr. L was originally two dimensional, I'm pretty sure the team could, uh, find a way.
I had the design of the last frame in mind particularly, with a bit of purple on the tunic, maybe both classic and modern Pit variants, kind of semi-alty in a way:

Classic Pit recolours would be neat given that the standard recolours aren't very bright, for instance, standard red Pit is kind of pinky. Classic Pit could provide a contrast to that. I now realize he only has two slots left. Go with classic and modern purple (eggplant) Pit.

Last edited:

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
Mr. L was originally two dimensional, I'm pretty sure the team could, uh, find a way.
I had the design of the last frame in mind particularly, with a bit of purple on the tunic, maybe both classic and modern Pit variants, kind of semi-alty in a way:

Classic Pit recolours would be neat given that the standard recolours aren't very bright, for instance, standard red Pit is kind of pinky. Classic Pit could provide a contrast to that. I now realize he only has two slots left. Go with classic and modern purple (eggplant) Pit.
I think that's the best/only idea you've ever had.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
What exactly is Diddy's new recolor a reference to?

I think it would be neat for Diddy to cosplay Lanky Kong. I also think it could be cool to change his blue recolor to the Super Guide Diddy, since Donkey Kong has his now. It's very similar just with white fur.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
What exactly is Diddy's new recolor a reference to?
I've heard it's a reference to Funky Kong. I've also heard that it's original.

I think it would be neat for Diddy to cosplay Lanky Kong.
Now someone is going to come along and say "He", look what you've done. I feel like his costume should reference his only game: Diddy Kong Racing. That's all I'll say ever again.

I also think it could be cool to change his blue recolor to the Super Guide Diddy, since Donkey Kong has his now. It's very similar just with white fur.
Yeah, I've done the same in my build, though I think the yellow fur of the blue recolour should be moved to the green. The contrast of the red and the green doesn't seem very naturally appealing.[/quote]

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I've heard it's a reference to Funky Kong. I've also heard that it's original.

Now someone is going to come along and say "He", look what you've done. I feel like his costume should reference his only game: Diddy Kong Racing. That's all I'll say ever again.

Yeah, I've done the same in my build, though I think the yellow fur of the blue recolour should be moved to the green. The contrast of the red and the green doesn't seem very naturally appealing.
I agree, but I'm not a fan of fur change universally. It just seems unnatural looking and distasteful to me. That's why I much preferred Fox and Falco's Melee Recolors over Brawl, as they left it up to outfit coloration to discern between the costumes. The only case in which I'm all for Fur Recolors, is Donkey Kong. Simply because that's how he's always been, for the obvious reason that his tie's colors aren't enough to make noticeable costume differences.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Interesting. After about four minutes of research, I found the origin of the Diddy Kong Alt. Or at least, kind of.

It was originally part of the Legendary cBliss Recolor Project. See: Diddy Kong 09 - cBliss Flex (Orange)

I'm not sure if it was made for that project as a reference to something else, or if maybe the PMDT just really liked it.

Either way, there it is.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Interesting. After about four minutes of research, I found the origin of the Diddy Kong Alt. Or at least, kind of.

It was originally part of the Legendary cBliss Recolor Project. See: Diddy Kong 09 - cBliss Flex (Orange)

I'm not sure if it was made for that project as a reference to something else, or if maybe the PMDT just really liked it.

Either way, there it is.
...Oh my goodness. My head just popped.
Looks like that wasn't the first one. I'm experiencing some nostalgia right now.
I can't find any downoad links there... I need one.

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace

Either way, there it is.
SJS and StarWaffle put together that pack.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Someone asked Theytah on his AMondAy asking "I want to add a small light on Samus to see in which mode I am in-game, hom am I supposed to do that ?"
This hatched in my brain, an idea... In Metroid Prime, whenever Samus changes her beam, her arm cannon not only changes shape, but also certain colours. For instance, the light beam turns bits of the arm cannon blue. What if her arm canon changed texture based on her beam? It could be a subtle indication to let players know what they're dealing with before they act on it, and allows Samus players to know what beam they're using without having to check, many a time I've been interrupted during my taunt, left to wonder if the beam actually switched.
Samus needs more Project M love, hyuk hyuk hyuk.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Someone asked Theytah on his AMondAy asking "I want to add a small light on Samus to see in which mode I am in-game, hom am I supposed to do that ?"
This hatched in my brain, an idea... In Metroid Prime, whenever Samus changes her beam, her arm cannon not only changes shape, but also certain colours. For instance, the light beam turns bits of the arm cannon blue. What if her arm canon changed texture based on her beam? It could be a subtle indication to let players know what they're dealing with before they act on it, and allows Samus players to know what beam they're using without having to check, many a time I've been interrupted during my taunt, left to wonder if the beam actually switched.
Samus needs more Project M love, hyuk hyuk hyuk.
I don't think that's worth breaking all the Samus mods on Brawl Vault.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I had a cool idea for a Frigate Orpheon alt stage, but it probably couldn't work.

Basically the stage is based off of the original Parasite Queen boss arena, so you couldn't fall off the stage, and you can't intentionally walk off the stage; you have to be smashed out of the center of the stage.

Both you and your opponent have to be close to an edge of the stage (think like a traditional fighting game stage with corners), and when the camera should normally zoom in close to the two players when they're face-to-face, the stage itself just rotates around the Parasite Queen.

It would be a pretty awesome mechanic if it could be created in Project M, and it would harken back to how cool it was to fight aliens in Metroid in 3-D for the first time - just as well, the stage would probably appeal to the people who love non-stop close-combat.

This probably sounds like a horrendous stage to play on competitively though, lol.

Shin F.

Smash Master
This probably sounds like a horrendous stage to play on competitively though, lol.
For sure, but the PM Devs are cool and like doing things for casual play, too. It's certainly a neat concept that would be cool to try out. Not sure how possible it is.

Still, if I'm being honest, the thing I'd want most out of a Metroid stage would just be something that doesn't have acid, lava, flipping stages, bosses / enemies, or ugly lighting. There just doesn't exist a normal Metroid stage with a pleasant aesthetic in any Smash game. It's all bad lighting and death, and Metroid has so much more than that. It's a series praised for its unique, alien worlds and environments and all we get are things like Pyrosphere in main Smash games. Something like Crateria or Tallon Overworld would be a nice change of pace, or even a Brinstar that looks more like the sprite-based games.

Metroid1.png

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
For sure, but the PM Devs are cool and like doing things for casual play, too. It's certainly a neat concept that would be cool to try out. Not sure how possible it is.

Still, if I'm being honest, the thing I'd want most out of a Metroid stage would just be something that doesn't have acid, lava, flipping stages, bosses / enemies, or ugly lighting. There just doesn't exist a normal Metroid stage with a pleasant aesthetic in any Smash game. It's all bad lighting and death. Something like Crateria or Tallon Overworld would be a nice change of pace, or even a Brinstar that looks more like the sprite-based games. There's so much more to the Metroid worlds than what gets shown in Smash.
Yeah, there's so many stages that could be made. Maybe an alt stage for the Frigate could be the Frigate Crash Site, but with extra scenery to make it more interesting?

Also I had an idea, what if on the legal WarioWare stage, the face in the background changed to a quick sketch of whoever's in the lead, Pokemon Stadium-style?
The face could also be the same color of the person's port so it makes sense why the person's face is there.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Lord Theytah posted this in his AMondAy:

And Nanobuds teased that they were working something for Kirby that required coding wizardry.
I think they're teasing us for something big... Already. Darnit.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Lord Theytah posted this in his AMondAy:

And Nanobuds teased that they were working something for Kirby that required coding wizardry.
I think they're teasing us for something big... Already. Darnit.
Awesome! Looks like they're going the way I thought they would, using the rim-light method to do the yarn on his model.

It would be so cool if they coded individual hats for the one costume. I bet it's possible, probably using a modified version of the code they used to give him multiple Mewtwo hats.

Draco_The

Smash Lord

Still, if I'm being honest, the thing I'd want most out of a Metroid stage would just be something that doesn't have acid, lava, flipping stages, bosses / enemies, or ugly lighting. There just doesn't exist a normal Metroid stage with a pleasant aesthetic in any Smash game. It's all bad lighting and death, and Metroid has so much more than that. It's a series praised for its unique, alien worlds and environments and all we get are things like Pyrosphere in main Smash games. Something like Crateria or Tallon Overworld would be a nice change of pace, or even a Brinstar that looks more like the sprite-based games.
In the official stage discussion thread there was a discussion about replacing Frigate Orpheon with another location from Metroid Prime. Now I guess it makes more sense to talk about an alt rather than a replacement, and if that's the case I think the best idea would be to have a space pirate-themed stage. Space pirates are very important in the lore of the Metroid series yet it's lacking any kind of representation in Smash stages, and the music from Frigate Orpheon would suit a pirate-themed stage without problems. They could use the Phazon Mines, which would also represent the Phazon. I can't think of any pirate-themed stage in Prime 2, and Pirate Homeworld was... meh. All the Prime games have very cool locations but I can't think of any other one that could use the Frigate Orpheon's music.

Then I'd like to see Brinstar Depths back, obviously as an alt to Brinstar, replacing 64 Zebes. The stage is more original when it comes to both gameplay (64 Zebes it's just Brinstar without the stage splitting and different platforms) and aestethics (Kraid in the background rotating the stage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> melted cheese as lava).

In regards to Norfair I think that the competitive version needs more things in the background. The normal version could also use some but the lava hazards keep the stage from getting boring. A Crocomire skeleton or something.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
In the official stage discussion thread there was a discussion about replacing Frigate Orpheon with another location from Metroid Prime. Now I guess it makes more sense to talk about an alt rather than a replacement, and if that's the case I think the best idea would be to have a space pirate-themed stage. Space pirates are very important in the lore of the Metroid series yet it's lacking any kind of representation in Smash stages, and the music from Frigate Orpheon would suit a pirate-themed stage without problems. They could use the Phazon Mines, which would also represent the Phazon. I can't think of any pirate-themed stage in Prime 2, and Pirate Homeworld was... meh. All the Prime games have very cool locations but I can't think of any other one that could use the Frigate Orpheon's music.

Then I'd like to see Brinstar Depths back, obviously as an alt to Brinstar, replacing 64 Zebes. The stage is more original when it comes to both gameplay (64 Zebes it's just Brinstar without the stage splitting and different platforms) and aestethics (Kraid in the background rotating the stage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> melted cheese as lava).

In regards to Norfair I think that the competitive version needs more things in the background. The normal version could also use some but the lava hazards keep the stage from getting boring. A Crocomire skeleton or something.
Agon Wastes was home to a Pirate Outpost, I believe. It was a mining facility, and it's also one of the first areas you explore once you lose all your gear, and fight Dark Samus for the first time. You also see Metroids in one area. So I guess it's got pretty much everything iconic to Metroid.

As for Norfair, I think it'd be cool if we actually saw enemies lurking in the area in the background and in the lava. Like Red Space Pirates, Magdollites, or Dragons, respectively.

What if Rippers occasionally lurked around offstage and could be landed on after falling, like Randall? They're pretty useful in the Metroid universe, so it would make sense.

Shin F.

Smash Master

I think I'd prefer if Brinstar Depths replaced Brawl Norfair if we were going to have it. They could switch the Brinstar Depths music with a song on Norfair and put another Metroid theme on Brinstar. Perhaps if they did that, 64 Zebes could become a Brinstar more tailored to what Brinstar actually looks like, or something like Crateria, and we'd still have room for an alt related to the Space Pirates on Frigate like you wanted.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Brinstar Depths would be a fitting alt, but I love Zebes more. In fact, I think you're the first people I've ever seen that liked that stage.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I updated my screenshot gallery thread in the Livestream and Other Media sections with about 140 images from 3.6 beta with many featuring the new alts and stages. This seems like an appropriate place to point that out.

http://smashboards.com/threads/cnds...allery-630-images-major-update-7-7-15.380905/
Great work, CND!

Far much more than I could accomplish. It's really nice having screenshots like that all in one place for viewing.

I wonder if embedding your gallery into this thread's OP (With your permission and credit, of course) would strike anyone's fancy.

It could be quite a hassle to load the page with two embedded photo galleries, though.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
A while ago someone cool suggested a visual Metroid-esque timer that would appear in front of/replace the Parasite Queen, counting down how long you have until it flips. I also think it'd be neat to make a Crashed Frigate Orpheon, though the music wouldn't fit very well...
Great work, CND!

Far much more than I could accomplish. It's really nice having screenshots like that all in one place for viewing.

I wonder if embedding your gallery into this thread's OP (With your permission and credit, of course) would strike anyone's fancy.

It could be quite a hassle to load the page with two embedded photo galleries, though.
Do it, brother.
How does Diddy Kong Sunglasses?
As for Norfair, I think it'd be cool if we actually saw enemies lurking in the area in the background and in the lava. Like Red Space Pirates, Magdollites, or Dragons, respectively.
I'm usually against enemies in the background. It very much bothers me to see the Parasite Queen just watching the battle and not trying to kill us. It wouldn't be in her natural instinct! Same with Shadow Moses Island.

I am all for changing Project M norfair though, in my build, I replaced the green lights with purple. [sarcasm] It took me a hours. [/scarcasm] I think all the Project M versions of stages deserve at the very least, a texture improvement.

Brinstar Depths would be a fitting alt, but I love Zebes more. In fact, I think you're the first people I've ever seen that liked that stage.
I also love Brinstar Depths, but I'm a casual.

Definitely would love to see an HD version of that take over the Frigate, though it is fairly similar to Brinstar, other than the horizontal obvious size difference.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
A good stage to replace frigate Orpheon is the articact temple in metroid prime, aka the place where you fight Ridley. It would be a perfect stage to represent metroid prime, since so many important events happen there and its also able to convey the large scale that metroid prime has.

mainly i just want something to replace Frigate Orpheon. its not just a bad stage in design (both functionality and being rather ugly to look at) but it also doesn't do a good job at representing prime 1. to me it seems like the stage designers didnt even play metroid prime before, so they just put the disk in and decided to make a level out of the first thing they saw when they played the game. Seriously, almost any other place would have been a better stadge to represent metroid prime.

on a side note id love for brinstar depths to comeback.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Frigate Orpheon is an enclosed space with lights flashing against the dark and a giant monster in the background.

It conveys the feeling of Metroid claustrophobia pretty well.

It isn't the worst idea for a stage ever like people exaggerate all the time just because they think this or that would be a better stage for the many different locations that Metroid takes place in.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Frigate Orpheon is an enclosed space with lights flashing against the dark and a giant monster in the background.

It conveys the feeling of Metroid claustrophobia pretty well.

It isn't the worst idea for a stage ever like people exaggerate all the time just because they think this or that would be a better stage for the many different locations that Metroid takes place in.
I think the only problem with it is the flipping. Even my casual brotherhood find it frustrating.

CND

Smash Cadet
Great work, CND!

Thanks. I approve of embedding the photo gallery or something that works for the OP. I can also make another gallery tailored to this thread if wanted. I would just need to know what would be the desired specifications. If anything, maybe a link?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom