• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Honestly I never got why they gave 1 alt sooo many recolors in Fox, Falco and Marios case, it's just limiting the alts they could do. No alt imo should have that many recolors, 4 at most. All you really need is team colors, a black recolor isn't needed but it does look good so I'll let that one go lol.
Umm, every single alt does only have 4 recolors at the most, lol. And Fox and Falco in particular only have Team recolors for theirs. The ones that aren't team recolors are usually the really popular ones, like black Doc and purple Ganon.

Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Two questions.
1. Can the PM team rip models or textures from other games to use in PM? I know they used Melee's Mewtwo model but could they use models from different games and use those as alts?
2. Can they expand the max amount of alts a character can have?
This could be a cool alt. Diddy's guitar slung across his back. It would also change a taunt and replace it with Diddy's playing the guitar. It could work like Links ocarina taunt.
image.jpg

Also, this would be cool.
image.jpg

Shin F.

Smash Master
Two questions.
1. Can the PM team rip models or textures from other games to use in PM? I know they used Melee's Mewtwo model but could they use models from different games and use those as alts?
2. Can they expand the max amount of alts a character can have?
This could be a cool alt. Diddy's guitar slung across his back. It would also change a taunt and replace it with Diddy's playing the guitar. It could work like Links ocarina taunt.
View attachment 50969
Also, this would be cool. View attachment 50970
1. They could, but they don't. They make their own custom models. Mewtwo's wasn't ripped from Melee either, it's also custom.
2. One of them is working on possibly increasing the limit from 10 to 14, but I think they said they're not going to do so in the official version.

As for Fighter Kirby, Kirby isn't going to get any costumes that cause issues with the way his hats look.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I don't get why Justin Bailey ZSS doesn't just have an actual arm cannon instead of just a metal green glove and green pistol. Couldn't you just model a cannon around her hand and have her still holding on to a grip inside of it?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Are there any other outfits that deserve a Fusion Suitification? Daisy dress is the most obvious, maybe the classic Toon Link should use Link to the Past inspired shield.

This is less art related, but I had a thought. For a while, the Project M team tested out a fireball idea for Bowser. They said it didn't work, but it did for Super Smash Bros. 4. Then, an epiphany struck me. What if it could alternate? Tapping B would shoot out a quick fireball, while holding B could do fire breath? Please disagree with me.
Is this a thread for PM costume ideas? If so. I would like to see Star Fox Adventure Falco.
I started on that, never finished it 'cause I hate bones. Even though Fox and Falco have full slots, I would love to see a James McCloud and the Adventures Falco replace the dark palettes.

So I got bored and wanted to fool around a bit more on photoshop so since I already had a template set up from the roselia-saur I decided to try to mock up the semi alt idea suggested involving sunkern, this was the result. He looks a little silly with sunkerns eyes perhaps but I thought it was kind of fun anyways!
MAKE THE EYES BIGGER.
I don't get why Justin Bailey ZSS doesn't just have an actual arm cannon instead of just a metal green glove and green pistol. Couldn't you just model a cannon around her hand and have her still holding on to a grip inside of it?
Up-taunt.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Yeah, Daisy alt and Classic Tink are the ones that I should be updated. But I think the Tink alt should use the wooden shield and red cross on it from the original Zelda games.

I don't think the Bowser Fireball idea works because they can't add projectiles to a character who doesn't have them. Not unless they stretch the original move's hitbox really long, but it still needs to be attached to the character I think.

Star Fox Adventures Falco should definitely replace an alt. Brawl Falco has an alt that uses the same color palette as his Melee primary skin, that seems like a pretty replaceable skin since Melee Falco is in the game I'm pretty sure Kappa
Also I really don't want to see the Crow Falco colors be replaced like seriously that's like my favorite alt for him.

Is that the one where she tosses the gun in the air?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Guess I'm the only one who thinks that Tink should get Wind Waker's Mirror Shield. I alway loved that.
and maybe that grappling hook tether.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I don't think the Bowser Fireball idea works because they can't add projectiles to a character who doesn't have them. Not unless they stretch the original move's hitbox really long, but it still needs to be attached to the character I think.
His current fire breath is a projectile. iirc, the pmdt said they removed the fire ball for balancing reasons, not limitation ones.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Yeah, Daisy alt and Classic Tink are the ones that I should be updated. But I think the Tink alt should use the wooden shield and red cross on it from the original Zelda games.

Star Fox Adventures Falco should definitely replace an alt. Brawl Falco has an alt that uses the same color palette as his Melee primary skin, that seems like a pretty replaceable skin since Melee Falco is in the game I'm pretty sure Kappa
Also I really don't want to see the Crow Falco colors be replaced like seriously that's like my favorite alt for him.

Is that the one where she tosses the gun in the air?
It would just be odd to get rid of the default Melee Falco though. Imagine if they just kept the team colors for the other alts, but not the actual design.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Characters like Toon Link and Ike are lucky, their default alt color is already a team color so then they only need 2 more slots for the rest of the team colors

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
Guess I'm the only one who thinks that Tink should get Wind Waker's Mirror Shield. I alway loved that.
and maybe that grappling hook tether.
I want him to get a 1.0 inspired OoT mirror shield :D
I just want all the different shields from Zelda in the game somehow, there quite a few cool ones. In WW the upgrade to the sword that Orca (orwhateverhisnameis) gave you was the Master Sword. The upgrade to the Hero's Shield was the Mirror shield.

I never really understood why not include the better shield if you're including the better sword. I guess the Master Sword and Hylian Shield is somewhat iconic, but still. Then again, OoT Mirror shield was only better then the Hylian shield because it could reflect beams, but it couldn't deflect projectiles.
His current fire breath is a projectile. iirc, the pmdt said they removed the fire ball for balancing reasons, not limitation ones.
From what I've read about it they really really really really REALLY tried to balance Bowser's fireball, but it just didn't work. It was either waaaay too good or just plain bad.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I want him to get a 1.0 inspired OoT mirror shield :D
I just want all the different shields from Zelda in the game somehow, there quite a few cool ones. In WW the upgrade to the sword that Orca (orwhateverhisnameis) gave you was the Master Sword. The upgrade to the Hero's Shield was the Mirror shield.

I never really understood why not include the better shield if you're including the better sword. I guess the Master Sword and Hylian Shield is somewhat iconic, but still. Then again, OoT Mirror shield was only better then the Hylian shield because it could reflect beams, but it couldn't deflect projectiles.

From what I've read about it they really really really really REALLY tried to balance Bowser's fireball, but it just didn't work. It was either waaaay too good or just plain bad.
iirc the mirror shield still deflects projectiles.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
In OoT it destroys the projectiles that the Dekus throw at you instead of reflecting them.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
It would just be odd to get rid of the default Melee Falco though. Imagine if they just kept the team colors for the other alts, but not the actual design.
I disagree. No other character has a Classic recolor and a Classic alt at the same time, it's redundant.

And if Bowser's flames can be turned into Fireballs, then I'm even more excited by the potential of a Bowser buff next update

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
In OoT it destroys the projectiles that the Dekus throw at you instead of reflecting them.
Exactly, or Octosquids or whatever they're called. That's probably why they allow you to switch in N64 OoT, (I never played the 3DS version..) otherwise you'd be unable to reflect some important things.
Wind Waker on the other hand just straight up gets rid of the Hero's Shield, with no option to go back. Not that you would want to because the Mirror Shield still reflects projectiles.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey

So I got bored and wanted to fool around a bit more on photoshop so since I already had a template set up from the roselia-saur I decided to try to mock up the semi alt idea suggested involving sunkern, this was the result. He looks a little silly with sunkerns eyes perhaps but I thought it was kind of fun anyways!
Seriously if the eyes didn't change and the bulb was just recolored to match sunkern instead of replaced, it would be a 10/10 recolor/semi-alt/whatever it'd be considered at that point.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Every Ivy suggestion lately ends up feeling like Shauna's winning Bulbasaur in the Pokemon Showcase to me.

Not a costume at all, but a bouquet of flowers glued to its back. But it still somehow ends up the winning look because every actual costume suggestion has been rejected.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I never really did think of how many different shields Link has throughout the series:

Here's this since we were talking about the Mirror Shield

Most of these are official artwork, but are really interesting. Since Toon Link already has clothes differences, he could easily stand to have different shield models. The Deku Shield in particular would be a shout out to Young Link

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Wow, so much I've learned in this thread. I, personally, was greatly disappointed to find that the Twilight Princess Links didn't have the Zora Tunic nor Armour as I was expecting in Brawl. It's a pretty huge stretch that probably wouldn't make it, but I would like to see the blue and red palettes replaced with those.

What are the opinions on the Four Sword? I think it's a more iconic blade for Toon Link, but the Master Sword is just a good Link thing in general. My opinion is conflicted.
Every Ivy suggestion lately ends up feeling like Shauna's winning Bulbasaur in the Pokemon Showcase to me.

Not a costume at all, but a bouquet of flowers glued to its back. But it still somehow ends up the winning look because every actual costume suggestion has been rejected.
This is the greatest thing ever, why haven't I seen it sooner?
My brain just popped.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Wow, so much I've learned in this thread. I, personally, was greatly disappointed to find that the Twilight Princess Links didn't have the Zora Tunic nor Armour as I was expecting in Brawl. It's a pretty huge stretch that probably wouldn't make it, but I would like to see the blue and red palettes replaced with those.
You could do it on your own build, but Team Color rules say the models have to match.
What are the opinions on the Four Sword? I think it's a more iconic blade for Toon Link, but the Master Sword is just a good Link thing in general. My opinion is conflicted.
If they did it for every costume, I would be fine with it.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Imo Toon Link should have the Four Sword for the red, blue, and purple recolors, along with a recolor for the shield to look more like the shield artwork from Four Swords, the Classic Shield and Magical Sword from LoZ for his Classic recolor, and some special Dark Master Sword and Dark Hero Shield for Dark Toon Link.

Also funny thing about this talk about whether Tink should have the Master Sword or not, I guess you can't get the Master Sword in Wind Waker without having the Mirror shield and Power Bracelets. So it wouldn't be too weird if the Mirror Shield was standard Tink's main shield..

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Imo Toon Link should have the Four Sword for the red, blue, and purple recolors, along with a recolor for the shield to look more like the shield artwork from Four Swords, the Classic Shield and Magical Sword from LoZ for his Classic recolor, and some special Dark Master Sword and Dark Hero Shield for Dark Toon Link.

Also funny thing about this talk about whether Tink should have the Master Sword or not, I guess you can't get the Master Sword in Wind Waker without having the Mirror shield and Power Bracelets. So it wouldn't be too weird if the Mirror Shield was standard Tink's main shield..
In particular, the Mirror sheild from Majora's Mask would be fitting for the dark scheme that evil Toon Link has, in terms of both mood and color.Might wanna tarnish that gold a bit though

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

Mirror Shield looks so much better. If it weren't for the Team Color Models Have To Match rule, I'd say give Red OoT Link his Mirror Shield and Golden Gauntlets as well. It looks really good like that.
Heeeeyyyoooo

Ooooohhhh my, that's gorgeous.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I don't think they need to change Tink's sword or shield, at least for the default and team colors. He has the Master Sword and Hero's shield because they're the most iconic ones he gets.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I don't think they need to change Tink's sword or shield, at least for the default and team colors. He has the Master Sword and Hero's shield because they're the most iconic ones he gets.
This is somewhat arguable as Toon Link started off in and represents the Four Swords subset of series as well. I feel like there should be some sort of acknowledgement to his roots in those series pertaining to the Four Sword, since the Hero's Shield is present in both Four Swords and the rest of the portables. Again, because Toon Link is sort of like the spiritual successor to Young Link, it'd be nice if something were in like the Kokiri Sword or Deku shield. But as you said these could be used in other alts not for teams, for consistency for the standard costumes. I don't think that a different sword or shield would make a difference when fighting Toon Link, though

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
How long have you worked on that model nano :O damn... Dem details!!
Model? Uhh it took maybe 5ish hours to complete before 3.5... idk how long SJS's edits took.

But I did the render today, which took about 30 min to do. 10ish minutes to pose, 15ish to set up in 3DS max, and 5ish min to render.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
Wuuuuuut.... Well it makes sense since it's only a model.. I was thinking compared to the bowser stage that llama said it took around 300 hours, but obviously it's two different worlds lol.. Still pretty amazing!!

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Wuuuuuut.... Well it makes sense since it's only a model.. I was thinking compared to the bowser stage that llama said it took around 300 hours, but obviously it's two different worlds lol.. Still pretty amazing!!
We used the trophy model as a base. We had to T-pose and optimize it to get it to work as a costume, which takes a while.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I side with sir Platypus as far as the shield, though I personally think that the Master Sword isn't quite the most iconic for Toony, even though it's a big Zelda weapon. He's only had it once, right? And for some reason, I think it's weird there being two Master Swords in the game, one in Link and the other in Toon Link, thought that might just be me.

I think Dark Toon Link and Dark Link deserves something a bit unique though, maybe a Lorule/Majora's Mask inspired shield, and a more generic blade. It doesn't make sense for a being of darkness and pure evil to go toting about the blade of evil's bane.
Looking at his swaps, there aren't really any good alt shields for him.
We used the trophy model as a base. We had to T-pose and optimize it to get it to work as a costume, which takes a while.
How hard is T-Posing? I've never done it, it looks like a pain in everything good and holy. Did you guys use the Fusion Suit from Prime as a reference at all, given it's already T-posed.

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
How hard is T-Posing? I've never done it, it looks like a pain in everything good and holy. Did you guys use the Fusion Suit from Prime as a reference at all, given it's already T-posed.
It is a pain in the ass. We gotta untwist the mesh in the joints and make sure all the faces aren't stretched in any way.

Nah we stuck with the trophy iirc. The hand is just taken from the Brawl model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom