• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
I like schoolgirl ivy. Reminds me of this movie I saw online once. It was about... oh nevermind.

Jk I love the zombie saur idea. A lot. Maybe I even started a model of it for myself cuz i was bored. I dunno.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Oh, I'm sad you don't love the Gardener Ivy or Boko Baba Ivy alt ideas too :(

Also, what would the Razor Leaf projectiles even be for Zombiesaur @ Nefnoj Nefnoj ?

Btw, here'a a mod example of what the Good Kid's Shirt palette option for Lucas could look like:

Here's the mod link:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=30633
Taking a look at the files, I don't think they would be able to change that, sadly. That's not too bad though, because my imagination broke, I can't think of any. Maybe just brown leaves or weird spores. No change ain't too bad, 'cause Paras is a grass type.

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Speaking of Lucas alts, if people remind me, I'll post up the black/dark navy commander alt I made a bit ago.

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
Jk I love the zombie saur idea. A lot. Maybe I even started a model of it for myself cuz i was bored. I dunno.
For the love of God, keep being bored!

I realize Wario is low priority, but I would really love a good DIY costume for him.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I like schoolgirl ivy. Reminds me of this movie I saw online once. It was about... oh nevermind.

What about having color swaps that reference other plant based enemies?

Last edited:

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking aboit an alt for Ivy, but the Zombie alt at least references other pokemon.

And this is totally off topic, but I don't want to make a thread about it (and I'm pretty sure this is already known), but what causes the Ice Climbers to get 2 stars after winning a match? Is it an overlooked bug or something that can't be fixed?

TreK

Is "that guy"
The Boko Baba would make a sweet recolor, but I'm a firm believer that Ivy doesn't need an alt. Recolors are all she needs and I feel any alt would be forced.
She's the only poké who doesn't have accessories though, idk about you but I feel a bit left out.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
She's the only poké who doesn't have accessories though, idk about you but I feel a bit left out.
But again, I'd rather have high quality recolors than forced accessories, especially since Ivy has never been seen with accessories.

Edit: Do you guys remember a few months back when someone made a parry tech and it didn't end up taking off? That was tech for the sake of tech. Giving Ivy an alt would be an alt for the sake of alts, not something meaningful.

Last edited:

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
But again, I'd rather have high quality recolors than forced accessories, especially since Ivy has never been seen with accessories.

Edit: Do you guys remember a few months back when someone made a parry tech and it didn't end up taking off? That was tech for the sake of tech. Giving Ivy an alt would be an alt for the sake of alts, not something meaningful.
Giving an alt and adding a completely new gameplay mechanic aren't really comparable. If Sonic can dress like a character from a totally unrelated series I think Ivy can stand to have a mushroom plopped on its back. Besides, if you really end up hating it it's not like you can't swap in something else.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'm personally not a fan of zombie/shroom Ivysaur. It would look weird with certain attacks such as solar beam and synthesis, especially considering that mushrooms grow in the dark. It's also just kinda grim and just doesn't really fit the tone.

Also, Parasect is confirmed as playable, so the mushroom alt might make things confusing if they're in the same match.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
See I like Zombivysaur or whatever we're going to call it haha. I think a tropical themed Ivysaur with the hibiscus as a bulb like @ TreK TreK mentioned would be neat, and I'd love to see a different skin pattern as well.

It would be hilarious if there was something like Pinapplivysaur with the bulb being a pineapple. Not that I would really want that in but I just thought of it and laughed

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
One thing to keep in mind about Ivysaur is that she has a more complex design than most other characters. For example, we can't just give her clothes and call it good, unlike the other Pokémon.
I'm personally not a fan of zombie/shroom Ivysaur. It would look weird with certain attacks such as solar beam and synthesis, especially considering that mushrooms grow in the dark. It's also just kinda grim and just doesn't really fit the tone.

Also, Parasect is confirmed as playable, so the mushroom alt might make things confusing if they're in the same match.
I didn't think about that, though the Project M team could take a lot of creative liberties, and do a lot of research on actual Mushrooms. Also... The Leech Seed would pop out of a mushroom. Ploop.

Though I don't consider it grim for Brawl. For the other Smash games, it is pretty dark, but Brawl has a very unsaturated dark styling. Bowser, for instance, with his bloodshot eyes, rough scales, etc.

AND MASTER HAND HAD BLOOD IN THE SUBSPACE EMISSARY. LIKE WHAT THE HECK.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
True true. I mean worst case scenario I'm sure there would be a way to model the bulb either via texture hacking or some other technique where it could still open up for attacks like Seed Bomb, Solarbeam, Dair and whatever.

I was under the impression however that graphics wouldn't be changed for a costume's moves with Dr. Mario being an exception, but then I remembered that Fire Peach and Shadow Queen Peach have certain moves altered graphically (Utilt primarily, Peach Bomber for Shadow Peach). It's hard to remember all the rules haha

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I had an idea similar to tropical Ivysaur a while ago, where Ivysaur would have an Exeggutor-like plant on her back instead of her normal flower bud, which now that I think about it, would be pretty cool if you could shoot out Exeggcutes for Seed Bombs.. But Nanobuds called me a monster for thinking of that :(

After searching Ivysaur on Deviantart, I found a piece of artwork that gives me an idea for a pretty recolor for Ivy..

Thinking what I'm thinking..? ;)
Also, I kinda feel like Ivysaur is a missed opportunity to give some cool Darkness particle effects to her moves. Seeing how the purple effects are visually identical to the poison effects in the Pokemon games.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I had an idea similar to tropical Ivysaur a while ago, where Ivysaur would have an Exeggutor-like plant on her back instead of her normal flower bud, which now that I think about it, would be pretty cool if you could shoot out Exeggcutes for Seed Bombs.. But Nanobuds called me a monster for thinking of that :(

After searching Ivysaur on Deviantart, I found a piece of artwork that gives me an idea for a pretty recolor for Ivy..

Also, I kinda feel like Ivysaur is a missed opportunity to give some cool Darkness particle effects to her moves. Seeing how the purple effects are visually identical to the poison effects in the Pokemon games.
That would make a nice recolor.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This would be interesting to at least try. What would a poison sound effect sound like haha? Bubbles in sludge or something? Haha

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I like to view the flower on head/ Lip's Stick thing as poison sometimes depending on context. I was thinking poison effects for things reflecting that, so primarily Dair and Uair and USmash. Seed Bomb could be altered to have its spores look more purple or something, so instead of a sleep powder it's more like a poisonous smog cloud. I'm just theorizing more than anything

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
sence ivay is a pokeman thehn poson is a mvove off coughing ten ovbisosuly..COUGHIFSORE ALT CRONFORMED FORR PM 6.66!!!!!!!11!!!11!

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
^ okay.

Dood as much as this autumn ivysaur is cool and cool easily replace one of her currently unpopular colors (there's a thread in the Ivy sub where people tell what their color is if you want to see which ones are used and which ones aren't), it still doesn't feature accessories and I'm like only 80% hyped about it.
(but at least it fits pretty well in the unsaturated theme of Brawl that everybody except me seems to hate)
I like to view the flower on head/ Lip's Stick thing as poison sometimes depending on context. I was thinking poison effects for things reflecting that, so primarily Dair and Uair and USmash. Seed Bomb could be altered to have its spores look more purple or something, so instead of a sleep powder it's more like a poisonous smog cloud. I'm just theorizing more than anything
Those are not really poison moves, they're things like leech seed (grass type dot) and giga drain (grass type vampiric attack)
It's weird but I don't think she has any actual poison type attacks in the game. I wouldn't know I gave her seed bomb, vine whip, razor leaf and synthesis and pressed B until level 100 because PM.

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
I agree that certain attacks could look kinda weird but there could also be work arounds to this. If you want to go with a Mushroom theme for one I know there is a Mushroom called the puffball mushroom that is bulb shaped and shoots spores out the top, it could possibly replace the flower. That being said I am okay also with other ideas for an alt costume, however I do think characters like Ivy, Olimar and Diddy should get a unique alt eventually and not just recolours even if the alt is subtle. I think Ivy would be fine actually with like a tropical alt or something, it could change the flower type and the leaves and yet Ivy wouldn't look to different in the end. It could almost please both the people that want an alt and those that want recolours. The only question is what flower would you switch hers with?

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I agree that certain attacks could look kinda weird but there could also be work arounds to this. If you want to go with a Mushroom theme for one I know there is a Mushroom called the puffball mushroom that is bulb shaped and shoots spores out the top, it could possibly replace the flower. That being said I am okay also with other ideas for an alt costume, however I do think characters like Ivy, Olimar and Diddy should get a unique alt eventually and not just recolours even if the alt is subtle. I think Ivy would be fine actually with like a tropical alt or something, it could change the flower type and the leaves and yet Ivy wouldn't look to different in the end. It could almost please both the people that want an alt and those that want recolours. The only question is what flower would you switch hers with?
If the mushroom was changed then that would defeat the original idea that's it's supposed to relate to Parasect's shroom though.

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
I guess that is kinda true, as I said I am okay if that exact design isn't the one to make it into PM I would just like to see Ivy eventually have an alt. (Also I don't consider myself a Pokemon expert in any way having only a little bit of one game, so feel free to continue to correct me if my suggestions don't line up with the series)

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
If Ivy gets an alt, it has to have some sort of poison motif going on. If they go with something like that, I think it'd be really cool if her bulb resembled a venus fly trap.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Lol it really does suck that Ivy has possibly the lowest alt costume potential in PM, although I guess that's a fair trade for having the best looking palette swaps in PM ;)

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
^ okay.
Those are not really poison moves, they're things like leech seed (grass type dot) and giga drain (grass type vampiric attack)
It's weird but I don't think she has any actual poison type attacks in the game. I wouldn't know I gave her seed bomb, vine whip, razor leaf and synthesis and pressed B until level 100 because PM.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but because the flower effects don't recover her health but charge the beam, I still see them as Poison moves somewhat. Though that doesn't mean they really are haha, I totally see where you're coming from.

A rafflesia might look kind of cool, and would be Vileplume-inspired. Or you could have a giant Bellossom flower for the bulb, again a nod to another grass type Pokemon.
An Ivysaur look inspired off of that could be cool as well, but the differences are few.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
What if the Project M concept artists just played with Pokémon fusion until they get something great to replace Ivy's bulb with?
I think of all the costumes I've seen, Gardener Ivy is the most fitting.
It's nice, but the most iconic part of Ivy isn't her head/face area, but her bulb, my personal opinion at least. I feel like the differences here aren't significant enough to make a costume, or change her model too much. She'd have a huge hat sticking out, or they'd have to flatten it. The bandana wouldn't even be seen. Freckles are cute though.
A rafflesia might look kind of cool, and would be Vileplume-inspired. Or you could have a giant Bellossom flower for the bulb, again a nod to another grass type Pokemon.
I really like this.
Ten dollars.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
What if the Project M concept artists just played with Pokémon fusion until they get something great to replace Ivy's bulb with?

It's nice, but the most iconic part of Ivy isn't her head/face area, but her bulb, my personal opinion at least. I feel like the differences here aren't significant enough to make a costume, or change her model too much. She'd have a huge hat sticking out, or they'd have to flatten it. The bandana wouldn't even be seen. Freckles are cute though.

I really like this.

Ten dollars.

Thanks haha!

As for the gardener, to be fair the bulb isn't really seen from that perspective. I'm sure they could alter the color or make it look dirty or something to make it more unique. I dunno haha

Now that I'm thinking of flowers though, I'm trying to recall if there's a Pokemon based on cherry blossoms (Sawsbuck/Deerling sort of? Or Cherrim, with the closed form representing more of a bulb but also looking a little ugly). But you wouldn't exactly have to have it be based off a Pokemon; it could just be a big cherry blossom (with CHERRY BOMBS) and different markings, pink leaves, etc. If you wanted to go that route there's plenty of flowers to go off of, and colorings and patterns that would match. If you wanted to go off of flower-based or bulb-based Pokemon it's a little more difficult but doable.

A list of all the Grass type Pokemon is on this page:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Grass_(type)

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Thanks haha!

As for the gardener, to be fair the bulb isn't really seen from that perspective. I'm sure they could alter the color or make it look dirty or something to make it more unique. I dunno haha

Now that I'm thinking of flowers though, I'm trying to recall if there's a Pokemon based on cherry blossoms (Sawsbuck/Deerling sort of? Or Cherrim, with the closed form representing more of a bulb but also looking a little ugly). But you wouldn't exactly have to have it be based off a Pokemon; it could just be a big cherry blossom (with CHERRY BOMBS) and different markings, pink leaves, etc. If you wanted to go that route there's plenty of flowers to go off of, and colorings and patterns that would match. If you wanted to go off of flower-based or bulb-based Pokemon it's a little more difficult but doable.

A list of all the Grass type Pokemon is on this page:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Grass_(type)
After seeing that grass type list I think valentivysaur would be a really good costume because the PMDT could make it even more love themed by transforming Ivys bulb into Roselias rose

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
After seeing that grass type list I think valentivysaur would be a really good costume because the PMDT could make even more love themed by transforming Ivys bulb into Roselias rose
Right? I think having costumes that reference other Pokemon in some way makes the alt less OC, and conversely somewhat more canon in a way (not that uncanon stuff is bad per se, but in the official vanilla build it seems like it should be kept to a minimum)

Edit: That's not to say I wouldn't like something like Gardener Ivysaur or a lotus Ivysaur or what have you, but having them tie in to Pokemon or Smash just seems more fitting. You could even put a Smash logo on Ivysaur's bandana, or have it so the bonnet she's wearing stitches in a way it forms a Smash logo or Pokeball from a top view

Last edited:

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
a Gloom-ysaur could be cool, Gloom's got its own leaves and it has an opening for seeds to be shot out of and would just generally lead to a nice looking color scheme.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
After seeing that grass type list I think valentivysaur would be a really good costume because the PMDT could make it even more love themed by transforming Ivys bulb into Roselias rose
I was actually thinking a rosebud for Ivysaur could look really nice.. You'd have a more simplistic Ivysaur that doesn't change her silhouette drastically, you could stylize the bud make the edges of the rose a more vivid color like on real roses, and make the leaves smooth, not ragged around the edges.. Maybe even replace find a way to add thorns to one of her attacks.

To top it all off, it'd give people a reason to give Ivy a heart-shaped mark on her forehead and freckles to her cheeks to make her more feminine overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom