• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Stumbled upon this, thought it might be a good costume for Pikachu :
Ya I'm preeeeetty sure this one's gotta happen now. Lol

Also I think it would be a good idea for all doodz to have alt team colors at some point. You never know when someone wants to Double DK, Yoshiiiii! or Sonic or some other possibly trolling nonsense haha. (Probably already a plan for this... If so, sowwy PMBR lol)

Rage83

Smash Ace
Simply put enough, the Young Link styled Toon Link would essentially be a Young Link model, but with nods to both designs.

Rage83

Smash Ace
I don't care for the melee skins either. I'd prefer new costumes that we haven't seen in Smash yet. Fox and Falco could have had their Starfox: Assault costumes, and Link could have had his Ordon clothes or the magic/zora armor.

EDIT: Look out, i've got a sarcastic to show himself.

Also, it bugged me that some characters got completely made up alts in 3.0(ROB, Jiggs) while other characters with tons of existing costumes(Ike and Samus, for example) got nothing. Canon alts should come first, then the fanmade stuff. IMO, anyways.
Made-up costumes? They both have their bases. ROB lacks its own series, and was (despite selling excellently) a failed peripheral for the NES and Famicom.The connection here is that the Virtual Boy was also a failed piece of hardware. As for Jiggly, the fairy wings are made to reference that she's been given part Fairy-Type, and they(don't quote me on this last part :p ) MAY be an accesory in the newer games.

Last edited:

BelmontSlayer

Smash Cadet
Made-up costumes? They both have their bases. ROB lacks its own series, and was (despite selling excellently) a failed peripheral for the NES and Famicom.The connection here is that the Virtual Boy was also a failed piece of hardware. As for Jiggly, the fairy wings are made to reference that she's been given part Fairy-Type, and they(don't quote me on this last part :p ) MAY be an accesory in the newer games.
Yes, I know the reasoning behind both of those alts genius.

It still doesn't change the fact that PMBR made them up though.

I'd like pre-existing canon costumes first. But that's just me.

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
lol...
i'll try and draw up something to show what I mean exactly.
Haha, I wasn't completely serious. But I think I know what you mean. There was a picture a few pages back of a Toon Link dressed in a way inspired by Young Link. Not sure if that's what you're going for, but I have no idea which one of the hundred pages has the picture on it :|

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman

I'll admit the designs are really similar (herp derp they are the same sword after all) but to a lot of us it doesn't matter how slight the differences are it's just more professional to give Oot link the sword design from that game, I mean come on they changed the shield's design to be Oot why not his sword?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

I'll admit the designs are really similar (herp derp they are the same sword after all) but to a lot of us it doesn't matter how slight the differences are it's just more professional to give Oot link the sword design from that game, I mean come on they changed the shield's design to be Oot why not his sword?
Because the shield is a big, bulky object that everyone will take notice to while the sword is just there to cut up **** and no one is going to be looking at it's hilt since Link is always holding it anyways.

And because there are more pressing design choices to consider than Link's little sword.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

Also, just like both Links having different shades of green, so the swords have different colors, TP Master Sword hilt is purple, and the OoT one is more oriented to blue.

Because the shield is a big, bulky object that everyone will take notice to while the sword is just there to cut up **** and no one is going to be looking at it's hilt since Link is always holding it anyways.

And because there are more pressing design choices to consider than Link's little sword.
Weren't you the one who was against OoT Link alt costume?

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
My personal view on the OoT vs TP Master Sword design is that it was mildly retconned, rather than literally changed in design between games (as is the case with Fire Emblem's Falchion between FE12 and FE13), since it is indeed the same actual sword, and the SS one is virtually identical to the TP one, minus a bit of gold trim that could either be due to the game's style, or a literal change to the sword between games. So canonically, OoT Link's Master Sword really probably would look like the SS/TP model. The Hylian shield, however, is not supposed to be a single shield. It's something that can have various shifts in appearance between games, because they're not all the same literal shield. The OoT Hylian shield design is probably still what the Hylian shields canonically looked like during OoT's timeframe. Though that is just my assumption, and that could be incorrect.

Therefore, due to that coupled with the fact that the shield design is a lot more noticeable than the minor change in hilt design, I think it's entirely reasonable to give OoT Link the OoT shield and the TP sword (or the sliiightly different SS design may be better, and would mostly just involve removing the extra gold trim, but whatever).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
My personal view on the OoT vs TP Master Sword design is that it was mildly retconned, rather than literally changed in design between games (as is the case with Fire Emblem's Falchion between FE12 and FE13), since it is indeed the same actual sword, and the SS one is virtually identical to the TP one, minus a bit of gold trim that could either be due to the game's style, or a literal change to the sword between games. So canonically, OoT Link's Master Sword really probably would look like the SS/TP model. The Hylian shield, however, is not supposed to be a single shield. It's something that can have various shifts in appearance between games, because they're not all the same literal shield. The OoT Hylian shield design is probably still what the Hylian shields canonically looked like during OoT's timeframe. Though that is just my assumption, and that could be incorrect.

Therefore, due to that coupled with the fact that the shield design is a lot more noticeable than the minor change in hilt design, I think it's entirely reasonable to give OoT Link the OoT shield and the TP sword (or the sliiightly different SS design may be better, and would mostly just involve removing the extra gold trim, but whatever).
In short, blame the official timeline. lol

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

Then why Nintendo didn't change the Master Sword in Ocarina of Time 3D to look like the one from SS and TP?

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's just me, but I think arguing over something so small as the angle of the wing-looking thing on the sword seems incredibly stupid

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
WOAH THIS THREAD IS STILL ALIVE?!

LASTOUTLAW, I MISSED YOU MAN.

So wait what did I miss?

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
WOAH THIS THREAD IS STILL ALIVE?!

LASTOUTLAW, I MISSED YOU MAN.

So wait what did I miss?
Haha, thanks, you too! And yeah, you didn't miss much. A few suggestions of costumes that were suggested already, and another argument about the Master Sword.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
If we got OoT version of the Hylian Shield, can we get OoT Master Sword for OoT Link, please?
The only reason we don't have more OOT styled items is because of technical limitations. I'm sure once (if) it's possible, it will be fixed.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Haha, thanks, you too! And yeah, you didn't miss much. A few suggestions of costumes that were suggested already, and another argument about the Master Sword.
I remember when this thread argued about real things. Like Mario's canon, elitists, little kids, Samus. Good times...

Senpai♥

"I'm an earthquake in a can!"
I can think of quite a few costumes, keeping to the theme of 'same character only'. By character:

Mario: Pretty much full. Don't touch him.
Luigi: Dr. Luigi would be nice. I could live without the pills as well, as the different trajectory would be really odd.
Princess Peach: The sports outfits would fit in nicely with that F-Smash of hers. Nurse Peach from the Dr. Mario series would also be a nice nod. Also, since we've already got a Paper Mario reference with the Shadow Queen outfit... Bride Peach?
Bowser: Meowser. Please, for the love of god, give it to me. I need it.
Donkey Kong: His Strikers outfit is really intense and stands out very well, and the only real outfit I can think of.
Diddy Kong: His Strikers outfit is the only alternate costume I can really think of period.
Yoshi: Another case of having no real outfits to speak of. But there's always Strikers.
Wario: I don't think he has any free slots, so we can pass on him.
Link: There's the alternate tunics on Twilight Princess Link, but I'm not sure how well they would fit in. Hmm.
Princess Zelda: Melee Zelda perhaps? To fit in with Link?
Sheik: See above.
Ganondorf: See above. (Also, purple Ganondorf when)
Toon Link: Conductor Link comes to mind immidiately. I also wouldn't mind a Young Link-inspired outfit.
Samus Aran: There's so many suits that Samus wears, it's not even funny. I'm partial to the Light Suit myself.
Zero Suit Samus: I can't think of any particular costumes, but the alternate colors of this suit are absolutely disgusting. I would like to see them changed.
Pit: Sacred Treasure Pit seems to be the go-to response for everyone, including myself. I'd also like to see Pit's alternate colors cleaned up a bit, but that's just me.
Ice Climbers: I've got nothing, honestly.
R.O.B.: The inclusion of Virtual Boy R.O.B. has made me want to see Tocksknocks' Wii R.O.B. join the battle as well.
Kirby: I imagine that any real 'costume' for Kirby causes conflicts involving the hats. If that's not the case, Swimming Goggles Kirby perhaps? Otherwise, I'd just invest in some of the alternate color schemes, especially those included in the Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad, or the Brown Kirby seen in Air Ride. 'Shadow' Kirby, the black Kirby, should definitely be a priority color.
Metaknight: There's a very nice 'Samurai' Quickdraw Metaknight model, again by Tocksknocks, and I'd like to see it in Project M. Maskless Metaknight would also be a nice pick.
King Dedede: Personally, I'd like to see Masked Dedede with a revamped hammer.
Pikmin & Olimar: I don't have much to say about Olimar. It would be nice if the other playable characters from Pikmin 3 and Louie could replace him, and the character slot was just referred to as 'Pikmin', but I doubt the PMBR would go with that.
Fox McCloud: An outfit based on his father could be neat, or perhaps his Assault appearance.
Falco Lombardi: I really do dig his Assault appearance. Though, I guess him and Fox also have their appearances from a certain Star Fox Command ending to consider...
Wolf O'Donnell: I think his alternate outfit is fantastic and he doesn't need another. Alternate colors perhaps?
Captain Falcon: Outside of a helmetless outfit, which I'm not sure I want, I can't think of any.
Pikachu: Where are my party hats at? Honestly surprised we don't have them already.
Charizard: A Clone Charizard skin based on The First Movie would be nice. I guess the PMBR has already decided against Mega Evolution outfits, which is a shame--I think both of them (Mega Charizard X moreso) would look just fine in the game.
Ivysaur: There's a Clone Venusaur and a Clone Bulbasaur in the anime, but not a Clone Ivysaur. I'm sure a skin wouldn't be a stretch though, right?
Squirtle: There's a Clone Squirtle, but it's nothing special. Thankfully, I won't make the obligatory Squirtle Squad comment. But, speaking of the Squirtle Squad...
Lucario: Really hating the PMBR for turning down the Mega Evolutions right now.
Jigglypuff: Outside of the obvious bow, headband and crown from Melee, there isn't much to say.
Marth: Two outfits come to mind--his Awakening artwork, and his SSB4 artwork.
Ike: Vanguard Ike comes to mind as my favorite appearance of his.
Roy: His Awakening artwork is just too good, and I know I won't be the first or last person to say they want it. I also wouldn't mind seeing Roy wearing his father's clothes.
Ness: I really don't have any suggestions for Ness.
Lucas: The Masked Man outfit is great, but I don't have anything else to suggest.
Mr. Game & Watch: ...If anyone can actually suggest a serious alternate costume, I would be impressed.
Solid Snake: Old Snake and Tuxedo Snake come to mind immidiately. His MGS2 disguise could also work.
Sonic the Hedgehog: This one's a little difficult--not because Sonic doesn't ever wear any other outfits, but because he doesn't usually wear much in general. He has a couple of minor outfit changes, like his Air Ride appearance, but visibility issues do exist. There's Werehog Sonic, which probably looks better in practice than you might imagine, Darkspine Sonic, Excalibur Sonic (without the sword, of course), and his SA2 Racing Suit that come to mind, though.

That's pretty much it. As I mentioned for a few characters (Looking at you, ZSS), some changes to the team colors would be really nice. I've got partial color blindness myself, so I sometimes have difficulty with certain color schemes like Green Melee Falco. Of course, there's always Project Mars/Maritime/Mint for personal P:M builds, but I think it would be a great touch for Project M overall to have some of these adjustments.

I thiiiiiiiink that's enough suggestions for now.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The only reason we don't have more OOT styled items is because of technical limitations. I'm sure once (if) it's possible, it will be fixed.
I think the sword is possible i have tried different skins for links with different weapons, but i believe your right about the items, maybe they could do something like Mario's Fireballs alternating to Doc's Megavitamins, because i would love to see OoT hookshot, bombs, and bow, we already got the boomerang at least

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I think the sword is possible i have tried different skins for links with different weapons, but i believe your right about the items, maybe they could do something like Mario's Fireballs alternating to Doc's Megavitamins, because i would love to see OoT hookshot, bombs, and bow, we already got the boomerang at least
If they do that, I hope they can also bring back Gale Boomerang. Doesn't need the wind effect, just the design to be consistent.

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
Just popping in to ask why Masked Dedede isn't an alt costume yet.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Just popping in to ask why Masked Dedede isn't an alt costume yet.
Dedede wasn't a character that was represented much in tournaments so that's probably why.

But I'm totally going off topic for a second to say that your signature is fun to mess around with.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Dr. Luigi with L pills. Ooohh...

I want this.

i kinda want cat bowser as a alternate costume. it would be something...... different
I'd prefer Bowletta (with an alternate voice,) but this could work too.

I can think of quite a few costumes, keeping to the theme of 'same character only'. By character:

Mario: Pretty much full. Don't touch him.
Luigi: Dr. Luigi would be nice. I could live without the pills as well, as the different trajectory would be really odd.
Princess Peach: The sports outfits would fit in nicely with that F-Smash of hers. Nurse Peach from the Dr. Mario series would also be a nice nod. Also, since we've already got a Paper Mario reference with the Shadow Queen outfit... Bride Peach?
Bowser: Meowser. Please, for the love of god, give it to me. I need it.
Donkey Kong: His Strikers outfit is really intense and stands out very well, and the only real outfit I can think of.
Diddy Kong: His Strikers outfit is the only alternate costume I can really think of period.
Yoshi: Another case of having no real outfits to speak of. But there's always Strikers.
Wario: I don't think he has any free slots, so we can pass on him.
Link: There's the alternate tunics on Twilight Princess Link, but I'm not sure how well they would fit in. Hmm.
Princess Zelda: Melee Zelda perhaps? To fit in with Link?
Sheik: See above.
Ganondorf: See above. (Also, purple Ganondorf when)
Toon Link: Conductor Link comes to mind immidiately. I also wouldn't mind a Young Link-inspired outfit.
Samus Aran: There's so many suits that Samus wears, it's not even funny. I'm partial to the Light Suit myself.
Zero Suit Samus: I can't think of any particular costumes, but the alternate colors of this suit are absolutely disgusting. I would like to see them changed.
Pit: Sacred Treasure Pit seems to be the go-to response for everyone, including myself. I'd also like to see Pit's alternate colors cleaned up a bit, but that's just me.
Ice Climbers: I've got nothing, honestly.
R.O.B.: The inclusion of Virtual Boy R.O.B. has made me want to see Tocksknocks' Wii R.O.B. join the battle as well.
Kirby: I imagine that any real 'costume' for Kirby causes conflicts involving the hats. If that's not the case, Swimming Goggles Kirby perhaps? Otherwise, I'd just invest in some of the alternate color schemes, especially those included in the Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad, or the Brown Kirby seen in Air Ride. 'Shadow' Kirby, the black Kirby, should definitely be a priority color.
Metaknight: There's a very nice 'Samurai' Quickdraw Metaknight model, again by Tocksknocks, and I'd like to see it in Project M. Maskless Metaknight would also be a nice pick.
King Dedede: Personally, I'd like to see Masked Dedede with a revamped hammer.
Pikmin & Olimar: I don't have much to say about Olimar. It would be nice if the other playable characters from Pikmin 3 and Louie could replace him, and the character slot was just referred to as 'Pikmin', but I doubt the PMBR would go with that.
Fox McCloud: An outfit based on his father could be neat, or perhaps his Assault appearance.
Falco Lombardi: I really do dig his Assault appearance. Though, I guess him and Fox also have their appearances from a certain Star Fox Command ending to consider...
Wolf O'Donnell: I think his alternate outfit is fantastic and he doesn't need another. Alternate colors perhaps?
Captain Falcon: Outside of a helmetless outfit, which I'm not sure I want, I can't think of any.
Pikachu: Where are my party hats at? Honestly surprised we don't have them already.
Charizard: A Clone Charizard skin based on The First Movie would be nice. I guess the PMBR has already decided against Mega Evolution outfits, which is a shame--I think both of them (Mega Charizard X moreso) would look just fine in the game.
Ivysaur: There's a Clone Venusaur and a Clone Bulbasaur in the anime, but not a Clone Ivysaur. I'm sure a skin wouldn't be a stretch though, right?
Squirtle: There's a Clone Squirtle, but it's nothing special. Thankfully, I won't make the obligatory Squirtle Squad comment. But, speaking of the Squirtle Squad...
Lucario: Really hating the PMBR for turning down the Mega Evolutions right now.
Jigglypuff: Outside of the obvious bow, headband and crown from Melee, there isn't much to say.
Marth: Two outfits come to mind--his Awakening artwork, and his SSB4 artwork.
Ike: Vanguard Ike comes to mind as my favorite appearance of his.
Roy: His Awakening artwork is just too good, and I know I won't be the first or last person to say they want it. I also wouldn't mind seeing Roy wearing his father's clothes.
Ness: I really don't have any suggestions for Ness.
Lucas: The Masked Man outfit is great, but I don't have anything else to suggest.
Mr. Game & Watch: ...If anyone can actually suggest a serious alternate costume, I would be impressed.
Solid Snake: Old Snake and Tuxedo Snake come to mind immidiately. His MGS2 disguise could also work.
Sonic the Hedgehog: This one's a little difficult--not because Sonic doesn't ever wear any other outfits, but because he doesn't usually wear much in general. He has a couple of minor outfit changes, like his Air Ride appearance, but visibility issues do exist. There's Werehog Sonic, which probably looks better in practice than you might imagine, Darkspine Sonic, Excalibur Sonic (without the sword, of course), and his SA2 Racing Suit that come to mind, though.

That's pretty much it. As I mentioned for a few characters (Looking at you, ZSS), some changes to the team colors would be really nice. I've got partial color blindness myself, so I sometimes have difficulty with certain color schemes like Green Melee Falco. Of course, there's always Project Mars/Maritime/Mint for personal P:M builds, but I think it would be a great touch for Project M overall to have some of these adjustments.

I thiiiiiiiink that's enough suggestions for now.
I especially like your Squirtle and Kirby suggestions, although do think the goggles Kirby wears will clash with whatever hat he's wearing so I think the better solution is just more colors.

Also, Mega Evolutions are not possible because of fear of a C+D. The PMBR is just playing it safe.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Dr. Luigi with L pills. Ooohh...

I want this.

I'd prefer Bowletta (with an alternate voice,) but this could work too.

I especially like your Squirtle and Kirby suggestions, although do think the goggles Kirby wears will clash with whatever hat he's wearing so I think the better solution is just more colors.

Also, Mega Evolutions are not possible because of fear of a C+D. The PMBR is just playing it safe.
Fire Peach. I think Mega Evolutions are not done because of how much they actually change the character in terms of power. Along with that nobody goes into a fight as just a Mega Evolved Pokemon. There's a lot of factors in it, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom