• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortress

Smash Master
How do we know that Link`s alt isn`t just Link wearing the clothing of oot link? He still has the clawshot, gale boomerang, and tp master sword.
Because it's annoying and needless to change the equipment texturing on Link's specials. It has nothing to do with who he is.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Isn`t Naked Snake Solid Snake`s dad? That is much different then practically identical characters. How do we know that Link`s alt isn`t just Link wearing the clothing of oot link? He still has the clawshot, gale boomerang, and tp master sword.

He's a clone, and in a lot of ways they are practically identical. Obviously it's not a perfect comparison, but why couldn't Snake's alt be justified in the same way? Solid Snake decides to go retro and wear the clothing of Naked Snake.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Because it's annoying and needless to change the equipment texturing on Link's specials. It has nothing to do with who he is.
I assume it's actually just not possible to change things like the items for separate costumes, since most are located in the FitLink.pac file or the items file.

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
Isn`t Naked Snake Solid Snake`s dad? That is much different then practically identical characters. How do we know that Link`s alt isn`t just Link wearing the clothing of oot link? He still has the clawshot, gale boomerang, and tp master sword.
While they're different characters, they both look almost exactly alike, they share the same voice actor (not including MGSV), and they both go by "Snake" throughout the series. And, like you said about Link, how do we know Solid Snake isn't just wearing an eyepatch and Big Boss's fatigues?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
While they're different characters, they both look almost exactly alike, they share the same voice actor (not including MGSV), and they both go by "Snake" throughout the series. And, like you said about Link, how do we know Solid Snake isn't just wearing an eyepatch and Big Boss's fatigues?
Sorry, I thought that Naked Snake was Solid Snake`s dad and that they were talking about having a entirely different character be an alt. (Sorry, I never played) It makes sense now and I agree with the idea.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I still think Snake is a combination of both characters, hence why he can't help talking about what Yoshi tastes like.

So a costume for either Snake is appropiate.

lastoutlaw113

Smash Apprentice
I still think Snake is a combination of both characters, hence why he talks about what Yoshi tastes like.

So a costume for either Snake is appropiate.
It definitely seems like that. It's supposed to be Solid Snake, and he wears his sneaking suit, but the face looks more like Big Boss in MGS3. The Yoshi reference, too.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
My ideal set-up for Snake's alts:

Team Colors:
Green Camo Naked Snake
Red Camo Naked Snake
Blue Camo Naked Snake

Others:
Tuxedo Snake
Iroquois Pliskin
MGS1 Snake

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Food for thought:

What do you think about Squirtle, Ivy, and Zard's will be, if they have?

Squritle shades, Shiny Ivy? and Shiny Zard recolours?

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks

Link's face is different.

Kati

Smash Lord
The master sword is supposed to be a recurring item throughout the entire time line though correct? one that changes proportions for no explain reasons but is still the same sword being passed through the generations. The gale boomerang doesn't exist anymore in P:M.

I haven't read all of the posts concerning snake, but I hope that everyone bickering about it knows the series' history.

if not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YH3o2pf-Bc

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Just a general comment, but in this day and age you don't find uniformity in any fighting game with extra costumes except maybe Virtua Fighter 5 and a few others.

In fact DLC packs specifically give costumes to the most popular characters and ignore the other ones. A character is sometimes lucky to have more than two costumes, and often it's just a glorified palette swap.

So the professionalism comment of having inconsistent costumes per character from earlier really doesn't make sense in the context of fighting games.

Nobody is saying that it's unprofessional to not include every character in the costumes, we're saying it's unprofessional to include costumes that don't have recolors, which it is. It doesn't matter what way the PMBR tries to spin it, they should either include recolors for every alt costume or don't include them at all. Otherwise it comes off as lazy and fan moddy.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter what way the PMBR tries to spin it, they should either include recolors for every alt costume or don't include them at all. Otherwise it comes off as lazy and fan moddy.
So Sakurai was being "fan moddy" when he gave Pikachu, Pichu and Jigglypuff different costume hats without including palette swap recolors for each single hat like the recolors for every other costume model?

And before you say "but that's different......" no it isn't. It's three very big exceptions to the rule by not having any true recolors for 3 characters, and that's not even half the Pokemon in the game! (well, Pichu is gone now)

Why can't people wrap their head around the idea that having two sets of costume recolors, like Dr. Mario, Link and Wario, is actually a similar exception to the rule of extra costumes in the Project M universe.

If Sakuari had made a few extra alt. costumes that were standalones like those Pokemon hats, nobody would complain. But because it's uncharted territory, it's wrong and unprofessional because you've never seen it that way before.

splat

Smash Lord
Nobody is saying that it's unprofessional to not include every character in the costumes, we're saying it's unprofessional to include costumes that don't have recolors, which it is. It doesn't matter what way the PMBR tries to spin it, they should either include recolors for every alt costume or don't include them at all. Otherwise it comes off as lazy and fan moddy.
As Shadic mentioned two pages back, the PMBR seems to consider some of the costumes to be recolors - much like how the Daisy costume in Melee was different from Peach, yet it was just considered a recolor by the game. For some of the costumes, I can understand why the PMBR handles them the way they do right now. Of course, I too would like to see some of the custom models get recolors (Outset Tink comes to mind), but I have faith in the PMBR handling this the proper way.

I would, however, consider it "fan moddy" (as you put it) if the CSPs for the custom models were different from their normal costumes.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
So Sakurai was being "fan moddy" when he gave Pikachu, Pichu and Jigglypuff different costume hats without including palette swap recolors for each single hat like the recolors for every other costume model?

And before you say "but that's different......" no it isn't. It's three very big exceptions to the rule by not having any true recolors for 3 characters, and that's not even half the Pokemon in the game! (well, Pichu is gone now)

Why can't people wrap their head around the idea that having two sets of costume recolors, like Dr. Mario, Link and Wario, is actually a similar exception to the rule of extra costumes in the Project M universe.

If Sakuari had made a few extra alt. costumes that were standalones like those Pokemon hats, nobody would complain. But because it's uncharted territory, it's wrong and unprofessional because you've never seen it that way before.
The difference between the Pokemon and these examples is that all of the Pokemon's costumes are unique. It's a subtle difference so it's understandable that you'd not see it, but it is different. If Pikachu hat 4 party hats and then randomly 1 set of goggles and 1 Red hat then it'd be a better parallel, and it'd be just as unprofessional.

As Shadic mentioned two pages back, the PMBR seems to consider some of the costumes to be recolors - much like how the Daisy costume in Melee was different from Peach, yet it was just considered a recolor by the game. For some of the costumes, I can understand why the PMBR handles them the way they do right now. Of course, I too would like to see some of the custom models get recolors (Outset Tink comes to mind), but I have faith in the PMBR handling this the proper way.

I would, however, consider it "fan moddy" (as you put it) if the CSPs for the custom models were different from their normal costumes.
I saw that post, I just also think it's a dumb stance. The Daisy costume in Melee is just barely different from the Peach one, I'd wager most people wouldn't be able to see the differences (aside from color) during the heat of a battle. The only one of the revealed costumes that comes close to being a glorified palette swap is Virtual Boy ROB, but even he has enough changes to warrant his own set of colors. I understand where they're coming from, but it looks sloppy as hell and if they aren't going to take the effort to do it right I'd rather not have them messing up my CSS. I've avoided texture/model hacks all this time for that very reason.

Also I wouldn't consider different CSPs "fan moddy" if the alternate costume had multiple colors and they shared a unified pose that's different from the original (see: Wario)

Malion

Smash Ace
I'm I the only one who thought pikachu was wearing a wizard hat?

And I know kirby can't wear hats or clothes but what about shoes? Like some Kirbyverse.

splat

Smash Lord
I saw that post, I just also think it's a dumb stance. The Daisy costume in Melee is just barely different from the Peach one, I'd wager most people wouldn't be able to see the differences (aside from color) during the heat of a battle. The only one of the revealed costumes that comes close to being a glorified palette swap is Virtual Boy ROB, but even he has enough changes to warrant his own set of colors. I understand where they're coming from, but it looks sloppy as hell and if they aren't going to take the effort to do it right I'd rather not have them messing up my CSS. I've avoided texture/model hacks all this time for that very reason.
Aren't going to take the effort? Damn son, could you be more entitled? Be glad they're doing this at all.
If you really think it messes up your CSS you very well may take some effort yourself and create some of your costumes yourself - and let the people who actually enjoy the PMBR's work enjoy it.

Also I wouldn't consider different CSPs "fan moddy" if the alternate costume had multiple colors and they shared a unified pose that's different from the original (see: Wario)
Good job pointing out what I meant (but not wrote down as I figured people would figure it out themselves). It's exactly what I was saying - in that I think we should see a different pose for the costume sets that are handled like Dr. Mario and Wario, but identical poses for the costumes that are handled like Shadow Queen Peach.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Aren't going to take the effort? Damn son, could you be more entitled? Be glad they're doing this at all.
If you really think it messes up your CSS you very well may take some effort yourself and create some of your costumes yourself - and let the people who actually enjoy the PMBR's work enjoy it.

I don't really see it as entitled to want Project M to continue looking like an actual product. I'm not saying that they should make a bunch of costumes or anything, I'm saying they should either go all the way or just leave the character alone. Making recolors honestly doesn't take all that long and yes, I'll probably spend a day to fix up the sloppiness, but I just wish I didn't need to. I love Project M as much as the next guy, but that doesn't mean they can't make mistakes.

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet
Actually. I have a question. I saw that Oot Link got different colors. So is Doc and Melee Fox getting Alt colors too?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
The master sword is supposed to be a recurring item throughout the entire time line though correct? one that changes proportions for no explain reasons but is still the same sword being passed through the generations. The gale boomerang doesn't exist anymore in P:M.

I haven't read all of the posts concerning snake, but I hope that everyone bickering about it knows the series' history.

if not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YH3o2pf-Bc
The gale boomerang is still there, it just doesn`t use it`s tornado thing. The texture is still the gale boomerang.

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet
The gale boomerang is still there, it just doesn`t use it`s tornado thing. The texture is still the gale boomerang.
Did you like the concept of the gale boomerang? Like it was supposed to drag targets to you but the execution was pretty poor in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom