• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Nah, its the same model, and same render settings as the last render.

http://i.imgur.com/lo1Rgc4.png?1

It uses a different pose though.
Ah, okay. Given the .gif quality it was tough to tell but I do like the pose better.

Back to discussion of Melee models, has anyone ever done an updated model of Melee Bowser? I'd be curious to see how it would look with Brawl's capabilities.

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Ah, okay. Given the .gif quality it was tough to tell but I do like the pose better.

Back to discussion of Melee models, has anyone ever done an updated model of Melee Bowser? I'd be curious to see how it would look with Brawl's capabilities.
There is one on the vault I think

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
That's just the Melee model though, right? I was more asking if someone took the style of the Melee model and made it something as high-quality as the Brawl model, like the PMDT has been doing with their Melee costumes.I couldn't find anything myself, so I assume there isn't. :/
Do you mean Melee textures and a Brawl model, or something a bit unique? I saw one person reuse Melee textures plopped onto Brawl models, and there's also the whole Melee Remastered. I, personally don't think it's worth another valuable Bowser slot, I'd rather see Rookie or Tuxedo Bowser, maybe even a purple palette swap.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Do you mean Melee textures and a Brawl model, or something a bit unique? I saw one person reuse Melee textures plopped onto Brawl models, and there's also the whole Melee Remastered. I, personally don't think it's worth another valuable Bowser slot, I'd rather see Rookie or Tuxedo Bowser, maybe even a purple palette swap.
I would just like Bowser to look tougher. He can keep his current colors (obviously the exact texture layout would change if the model was altered) but I want him to look stronger and meaner than he currently does, more like the Melee model. If the PMDT even wants to put an updated model over the current Bowser and leave the other slots untouched, I'd be cool with it.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman

From a distance in match I can tell, maybe my eyes are better. Here is Melee peach in the same colors as Brawl Peach. Maybe that can help you. Even as the same color they are clearly different.

Melee Sheik and Brawl Sheik are far more alike than Melee Peach compared to Brawl Peach. With the only difference being some leg designs, color and a ponytail. Essentially Brawl Sheik is a "more detailed Melee Sheik with the design virtually identical" Don't get me wrong I love having the Sheik Melee costume though. Its just I would have never though they would ever give us Sheiks Melee costume on account its the same thing I would have imagined a Peach Melee model first. I mean at least Melee Peach is wearing a different costume.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I agree with you on the Shiek front, but those two Peach designs would not be different enough to tell the difference during a competitive match. That's the real issue, aside from just removing the space for something more unique.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace

From a distance in match I can tell, maybe my eyes are better. Here is Melee peach in the same colors as Brawl Peach. Maybe that can help you. Even as the same color they are clearly different.

Melee Sheik and Brawl Sheik are far more alike than Melee Peach compared to Brawl Peach. With the only difference being some leg designs, color and a ponytail. Essentially Brawl Sheik is a "more detailed Melee Sheik with the design virtually identical" Don't get me wrong I love having the Sheik Melee costume though. Its just I would have never though they would ever give us Sheiks Melee costume on account its the same thing I would have imagined a Peach Melee model first. I mean at least Melee Peach is wearing a different costume.
Why are they both in the same dress?

Shin F.

Smash Master
I agree with you on the Shiek front, but those two Peach designs would not be different enough to tell the difference during a competitive match. That's the real issue, aside from just removing the space for something more unique.
Pretty much this, although I will say that Melee Sheik's presence is justified despite the similarities since Melee Zelda needs a counterpart. She'd freeze without one.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
The Melee and Brawl Peaches are both in the same dresses so apparently blind people can see that they are completely different models.

Also people can't tell the difference in a competitive match?.... I can instantly/clearly tell by model and color. From a distance they clearly have different dresses and colors. Its ok though hate on someone elses top wanted costumes. That's cool. I could sit here and talk about how useless the Melee Zelda, Melee Sheik, Dark Meta Knight, and Retro Samus alts are all day. Since they suffer the same mythical problem a Melee Peach Costume "supposedly" does. Though most suffer this mythical problem more so.

It would only be one costume slot. But yeah be dream crushers because you all want costumes I could care less about. Sounds fair.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Although its presence is justified because of its counterpart, you still made a good point with Melee Sheik. I think it could work if it was tweaked sufficiently to separate it a bit further. Be nice to go with that Melee Daisy everyone wanted as well.

Actually, when you think about it, the chances of a Peach ditto with both these costumes aren't that high anyways when players can just pick another color. It probably doesn't even matter in the first place if you can easily tell them apart.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
OVER ANALYSIS TIME:

I'm against it.
Firstly, the most obvious reason: The other classic designs may have similarities from their Melee counterparts, they're not based off of them: Ocarina of Time Link isn't based off of Melee, but Ocarina of Time. However, both Peach designs are based off of the same source material, Mario, consistently one art style, unlike Twilight Princess Link versus Ocarina of Time Link, making it hard for the Project M development team to take creative liberties with it. You have a valid point about Sheik, but she was designed to fit the Zelda Universe of choice to fit Brawl: Twilight Princess. Sort of a redesign akin to Pit's.

Now for the less obvious things: The colour issue. Both of them have the same primary and secondary colours, the only difference is that the Melee version is super saturated, which would never fit in the Brawl styling. If they desaturated the Melee design, it would look exactly the same. WHY DO THEY STILL HAVE THOSE WARIO SWAPS. This introduces another problem: Visual direction. Everything you look at has a visual direction naturally drawing your eye to specific points. Both designs of Peach have the exact same visual direction, the only difference is that Melee Peach doesn't have the extra details, likely excluded due to size limitation. This leaves the only main difference in design, the cummerbund thingy, a small detail covered by her arms, not only all the time in-game, but also in the renders, a subtle but important detail, emphasizing her character, her personality, all in movements. Which apparently means covering up her tum tum. I'm making this up.

Those are only the problems I saw during fifteen seconds. Someone more educated than myself could probably find even more.

The only way I could ever see it happening is if her Sunshine, nurse, or other short skirted design was used for the top, (where the Melee design is exactly the same as Brawl's 'cept that darling cummerbund thingy), while everything waste-down was the Melee design.

I don't like the turn my favourite thread is going down, it's been a bit hostile and full o' drama as of late it seems. Oh well!

Speaking of design comparisons, everybody seems to want PED Suit Samus for Samus' last swap. I, personally think that she should use the 0% design with the Hazard Protection accessory, which leaves Zero Suit. I think she should wear her uniform from the Galactic Federation in Other M. I know people hate that game, including myself, but that design is pretty cool and unique. Since both designs are of Galactic Federation origin, they would fit together well. If they went with a corrupted Zero Suit, it wouldn't fit the 0%, if they went with a different percentage, it would be super blue and be easily confused with her blue Dark Samus swap.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Another thing I would like to see if the PMDT ever did consider making their own custom Melee/Brawl hybrid Bowser model is giving his hair different colored tips at the ends - since that's a pretty noticeable feature he has.

This particular mod for him would look amazing if his skin and cuff textures were the same as Brawl's.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
That's a good point; didn't even consider the hair. I think he could look even meaner now, though, since the increased capacity for detailed models can make him look sharper (literally).

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Even though the Melee design is stinkin' awesome, I don't see it fitting very well without extreme alteration, which would result in an extreme similarity with the standard Bowser...

AL GEORGE ROMO NEGLECTED THE ORANGE.

...Unless, of course, they used a Melee inspired texture alongside something semi-alty.
I really want Rookie Bowser.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I am entirely fine with them going to those lengths. I agree that it's probably necessary. Rookie Bowser will never be

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I am curious as to what they'll do with the rest of Bowser's costume slots. I don't think that team colors would look that great for Dry Bowser, and he has potential for some pretty cool costumes anyway. Meowser would be great, as would a Strikers costume.

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
The Melee and Brawl Peaches are both in the same dresses so apparently blind people can see that they are completely different models.

Also people can't tell the difference in a competitive match?.... I can instantly/clearly tell by model and color. From a distance they clearly have different dresses and colors. Its ok though hate on someone elses top wanted costumes. That's cool. I could sit here and talk about how useless the Melee Zelda, Melee Sheik, Dark Meta Knight, and Retro Samus alts are all day. Since they suffer the same mythical problem a Melee Peach Costume "supposedly" does. Though most suffer this mythical problem more so.

It would only be one costume slot. But yeah be dream crushers because you all want costumes I could care less about. Sounds fair.
Damn son, I'm sorry you aren't getting you way. No one is hating on you... you're the only one hating in this thread.

If you want it so badly, learn how to import models yourself. It's easy. You can then use it in your custom builds.

No need for the drama.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I'm really not seeing much similarity between the two Peaches, they look completely different to me. I have no idea what people are talking about. Am I on crazy pills here?

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
I got bored again. Sorry for the ugly quality, gfycat didn't like the file...

Last edited:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I apologize if I sounded like part of the hating. I am done talking about it after this post but just to clarify one thing. Since people are saying both the Bralw/Melee models were based on the same design when Peach's primary design has changed.

Melees Peach is based on the 1988-2001 Standard Peach Appearance.
-Both have waist band/corset
-Both have same uni-dress collars
-Both have same gloves
-neither have hip shawls
-Both have red on bottom of dress in some versions

Mario Party(1998).................Mario Party 2 (2000).......................Super Mario Advanced 2 (2001)
Red Bottom.........................Corset /same gloves.......................Same uni-dress collar/Gloves/Waist band
Same Gloves

Brawl's Peach is based on her 2002-Current Standard Peach Appearance.
-both have the same separate colored collars
-both have the same gloves
-both have hip shawls
-neither have the waist band/corset

Super Princess Peach (2006)
Same Gloves/Separate colored collar/Shawl

An even more direct comparison of the two era versions.

Paper Mario (2001).....................Super Paper Mario (2007)

As Melee ..................................As Brawl
-------------....................................---------------
Same Gloves.............................Same Gloves
Same waistband/corset..............Hip Shawl
No hip Shawl.............................No waistband/corset
................................................Separate colored collar

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
If people want a Classic Bowser costume, then make it the real Classic Bowser from Super Mario Bros.

Would function as a semi-alternative costume with a retextured shell being the main difference..

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
If people want a Classic Bowser costume, then make it the real Classic Bowser from Super Mario Bros.

Would function as a semi-alternative costume with a retextured shell being the main difference..
Maybe use this colour scheme to differentiate it a bit more

Also, Something else I'd like to see is a classic Sonic semi-alt, shorten his spines a tiny bit, make his stomach a bit more round, give him the classic sonic shoes, a lighter colour scheme and tan eyelids. I think it could look pretty cool

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord

Also, Something else I'd like to see is a classic Sonic semi-alt, shorten his spines a tiny bit, make his stomach a bit more round, give him the classic sonic shoes, a lighter colour scheme and tan eyelids. I think it could look pretty cool
I don't think a lot of people would like those colors... I think they could change it enough from the Brawl model such that it's easily discernible.

I would love that as well but they already deconfirmed it (sadly). It's too hard to keep it on the same boneset and also look like Classic Sonic.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Actually, I've always wanted the SMB1 Bowser recolor as a white color replacement. It's got the same colors on his mouth and skin as the SMB1 Bowser.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace

That actually would be a pretty cool palette swap for Bowser. I like when costumes reference older designs.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't think a lot of people would like those colors... I think they could change it enough from the Brawl model such that it's easily discernible.

I would love that as well but they already deconfirmed it (sadly). It's too hard to keep it on the same boneset and also look like Classic Sonic.
I'm just talking about a semi-alt like the Shadow, Silver and Tails ones. And I don't see why they can't make his spines smaller and make his stomach rounder without changing his hitboxes

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I'm just talking about a semi-alt like the Shadow, Silver and Tails ones. And I don't see why they can't make his spines smaller and make his stomach rounder without changing his hitboxes
Nah, I knew what you meant. He has hitboxes in his spines, for one thing, and he would have to be proportionally shorter (which would throw things off) or else he would look weird.

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
On the topic of Bowser's alts I think we all know what I want.... TUXEDO BOWSER!!! nah I'm kidding its Meowser

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I was playing classic mode today, and had to fight metal Ice Climbers. I don't know if this is possible, but it'd be cool if Popo had an almost blue hue while Nana had an almost pink hue. Not nearly as strong as Pink Gold Peach, but it should still be there, it's hard to tell who's who. We always target the leading Ice Climber.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I was playing classic mode today, and had to fight metal Ice Climbers. I don't know if this is possible, but it'd be cool if Popo had an almost blue hue while Nana had an almost pink hue. Not nearly as strong as Pink Gold Peach, but it should still be there, it's hard to tell who's who. We always target the leading Ice Climber.
This may be the pun-lover in me coming out, but it'd be even better if they were made out of ice... then they'd be literal ice climbers. Don't hate me

I'm in a funny mood so I'm gonna delve more into this whole custom model business. @ Nanobuds Nanobuds Would the art team consider doing composite designs of character models that otherwise would never work in PM? Example from earlier in this conversation (not my pic BTW):

It's been mentioned before that Classic Sonic's definitely not gonna work because of needing to keep the bonesets between Sonic models the same, which I totally get. But what if someone took the differences that are shown in this pic and made them into a model that could be legal? It'd be very tedious but probably worth the effort.

Even when discussing new models that don't have an issue with bonesets, I think this approach of taking elements that show off differences between designs (rounded vs. sleek, fierce vs. cartoony, etc.) is a good one.

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Its very possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom