• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl Vault's site coding seems to be a mess and has been for months now. I don't know if it's because Dantarion's directly responsible for the HTML and he hasn't touched it in forever or what, but I hope it gets fixed at some point by someone.
Dantarion hasn't been in any way connected with BrawlVault or KC-MM for a couple years now, and he just provided webhosting for them before that.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Welp, never mind. So then whoever is actually responsible just hasn't done much with it then.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
It's good, but it's basically Wolf with a darker Star Fox uniform and an eye-patch. We'd probably differentiate him further from Fox if it were us. There never was a true full body picture of Wolf in the N64 era, so we could technically use a bit of our imagination. Making him look like a member of the Star Fox team would be strange IMO. Still, much better than the Brawl Assault costume.
May I suggest checking the intro to Melee, you gotta remember that he was in that in his eye patchy glory.

splat

Smash Lord
I was just thinking, it's hard to make alt costumes for Zelda and Sheik as the two are connected by their down special - the two need to be in the same style in order not to feel awkward transforming. To make matters worse, Sheik only appeared in OoT and as concept art for TP, where the latter is simply an updated version of the first.

That'd mean that either the two wouldn't get any alts - or that the PMBR would have to come up with designs of their own. Here's some of my ideas for the second option:
- Skyward Sword inspired Zelda (either this one or this one) and a Sheik that takes elements from Skyward Sword Impa.
- Wind Waker inspired Zelda and a Sheik that takes elements from Tetra.
- Brawl Zelda that takes elements from Brawl Sheik and Brawl Sheik that takes elements from Brawl Zelda.

Any thoughts?

Cerulean

Smash Cadet
I was just thinking, it's hard to make alt costumes for Zelda and Sheik as the two are connected by their down special - the two need to be in the same style in order not to feel awkward transforming. To make matters worse, Sheik only appeared in OoT and as concept art for TP, where the latter is simply an updated version of the first.

That'd mean that either the two wouldn't get any alts - or that the PMBR would have to come up with designs of their own. Here's some of my ideas for the second option:
- Skyward Sword inspired Zelda (either this one or this one) and a Sheik that takes elements from Skyward Sword Impa.
- Wind Waker inspired Zelda and a Sheik that takes elements from Tetra.
- Brawl Zelda that takes elements from Brawl Sheik and Brawl Sheik that takes elements from Brawl Zelda.

Any thoughts?

Or just give them OoT versions?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
There's no point in giving them OoT textures or models because they already have one as their default white.

Either go Skyward Zelda and Skyward Impa-styled Sheik, or bust.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I actually like reading this thread. There's a lot of ideas, and even though we are not going to be able to please everyone (there are just so many suggestions), the enthusiasm is fun.

Fortress

Smash Master
So no costume news for Ike, Either he doesn't have one or it isn't done then, I'd imagine.
How 'bout Lord Ike from PoR? I know Vanguard Ike looks good, too, and with the clone engine he can get hella jacked (just shove Ganon's arms on him or something), but Lord Ike is always an option.

Or Greil.

For Link, would N64 Link even be a consideration? There were some pretty nice ones on the Vault with his various tunics from Ocarina, and Red even used the Mirror Shield, which was a nice touch. If not that, then Zelda II Link would be cool, since Smash Link and ZII Link share a lot of attacks.

Just remembered that the PMBR are going for Brawl-esque quality for those sorts of things.

Fortress

Smash Master
I don't think Ive noticed anyone suggest a Vaati costume over Toon Link.
I think it's because it's been strongly implied that PMBR are already doing Outset Link for Toon Link, which would make sense, considering it would keep him literally the same character, just wearing different clothes that are actually in his own game.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I don't think Ive noticed anyone suggest a Vaati costume over Toon Link.
Vaati is not Link.

Besides, while that'd be cool visually, it wouldn't make much sense with the items and attacks, and Vaati would be better served as his own character. Not that I'm saying he should be a clone engine character either, because there are more important ones.

Mit

Smash Ace
We can assume this, right?

He doesn't appear to change in size or anything. Pokemon X & Y themselves provide a good reference for a 3D model of the design.

Fortress

Smash Master
We can assume this, right?

He doesn't appear to change in size or anything. Pokemon X & Y themselves provide a good reference for a 3D model of the design.
While Mega Lucario is incredible, and there are some great textures for him out there, I think that they cannot be post-brawl characters for legal reasons. At least, that's how I understood it.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Vaati is not Link.

Besides, while that'd be cool visually, it wouldn't make much sense with the items and attacks, and Vaati would be better served as his own character. Not that I'm saying he should be a clone engine character either, because there are more important ones.
It would be a kickass "Costume" and I thought we all realized already that moves don't have to be exactly canon.

Mit

Smash Ace
While Mega Lucario is incredible, and there are some great textures for him out there, I think that they cannot be post-brawl characters for legal reasons. At least, that's how I understood it.
I'd be interested in their stance on a costume though. Mega Lucario is arguably still Lucario. They said they would not put in post-Brawl playable characters, I would assume to avoid creating a character that will be in Smash 4, thus adding value to Project M while detracting value from Smash 4, and potentially putting themselves at a larger risk of C&D from Nintendo.

This would also call into question the validity of suggestions for things like Marth's Fire Emblem Awakening design, and other designs from games post-Brawl.

Fortress

Smash Master
I'd be interested in their stance on a costume though. Mega Lucario is arguably still Lucario. They said they would not put in post-Brawl playable characters, I would assume to avoid creating a character that will be in Smash 4, thus adding value to Project M while detracting value from Smash 4, and potentially putting themselves at a larger risk of C&D from Nintendo.
I figured it was more of an issue with just having a character in the game that's available from another game currently 'on' the market. Where there'd be less of a problem with Link being OoT Link in Nintendo's eyes, they'd have more of one with him being, say, Link Between World's Link. Something about peeking through trophies, stickers, and all of that to see if the character themselves is somewhere in Brawl. I'm sure something like that was mentioned.

As for Awakening Marth, I swear somebody mentioned something about it already. I mean, if it's there, it's in those twelve previous pages.

It would be a kickass "Costume" and I thought we all realized already that moves don't have to be exactly canon.
Judging by the reveal for the Alt Char. Engine, I'd say it's going to be Outset Link, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I mean, they show his silhouette in the video, with Jigs and Pikachu sporting their Melee attire.

Dante'

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen many suggestions for King DDD, so how about his masked appearance in Kirby Super Star Ultra. His clothing doesn't change but his metal mask and hammer are very noticeable. The only other outfit I can think of for him is his epic yarn look, but I'm not a huge fan.

Also, after seeing that other picture of awakening Marth, I realized that his FE 13 outfit has more changes than his FE12 outfit. I would be more than happy with earthier, but I am still pushing for the FE12 alt. In my opinion, the differences in the FE 12 costume (Longer Tunic, Leather Boots, more armor around neck area) would be much more noticeable when Marth is dash dancing and short hoping around the stage, especially when the camera is zoomed out. Then again, that might just be me.

Fortress

Smash Master
I haven't seen many suggestions for King DDD, so how about his masked appearance in Kirby Super Star Ultra. His clothing doesn't change but his metal mask and hammer are very noticeable. The only other outfit I can think of for him is his epic yarn look, but I'm not a huge fan.

Also, after seeing that other picture of awakening Marth, I realized that his FE 13 outfit has more changes than his FE12 outfit. I would be more than happy with earthier, but I am still pushing for the FE12 alt. In my opinion, the differences in the FE 12 costume (Longer Tunic, Leather Boots, more armor around neck area) would be much more noticeable when Marth is dash dancing and short hoping around the stage, especially when the camera is zoomed out. Then again, that might just be me.
My vote is for pantsless Marth, courtesy of the good ol' days. Ken Combos could only be scarier when princely underskirts are involved.

Somebody mentioned Masked DeDeDe earlier on, and it sounds perfect. It's simple enough to where it'd totally work for him.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You seem to keep forgetting that alternate skins for the ACE have to be the same character.

And there's a difference between "not exactly canon" and "Vaati using a boomerang and a Hookshot."

red9rd

Smash Ace
You seem to keep forgetting that alternate skins for the ACE have to be the same character.
If you read my last two posts I said "Costume" as Toon Link would wear Vaati's tunic.
And there's a difference between "not exactly canon" and "Vaati using a boomerang and a Hookshot."
Yeah like Gannon fist fighting, the Mother characters using PK Starstorm, and any other inconsistency's.

Fortress

Smash Master
If you read my last two posts I said "Costume" as Toon Link would wear Vaati's tunic.
Yeah like Gannon fist fighting, the Mother characters using PK Starstorm, and any other inconsistency's.
Ganondorf is depicted as a brawler in Ocarina artwork. I mean, look at the dude. You think he did hardcore lifting while sealed up to not use those meathooks of his?

[collapse=Jacked]
[/collapse]

Besides, Link in Smash Bros is commonly regarded as a generic every-Link, with abilities and attacks from a hodgepodge of the games he stars in, so he himself has inconsistencies of his own. Heck, I bet you could find one to nitpick about any character when you get down to it.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I just realized how ginormous Ganondorf is compared to Link in that picture.

Fortress

Smash Master
That's from all that lone dungeon building. Anytime he tries to get one of his pads ready for the ladies, Some ******* in green has to come break and steal everything.
The dude's got heart, plus time to spare to get ripped. And yet he looks stunning in a suit. Absolutely perfect.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Okay, fine then. Followup question: Why? What reason is there? When Outset Link or Conductor Link are more viable choices that don't involve shady excuses like "he's wearing his clothes"?

Completely comparable--oh wait, no, because even Ganon's fist-fighting is imbued with evil magic, hinting at his magical prowess as well as his physical capabilities. And we both know that the Mother characters represent their entire party, not just themselves. Just like the two Links represent all the Links from the Zelda series, even when Young Link with the Deku Shield also uses fire arrows (which didn't happen) or adult OoT Link uses a boomerang (which doesn't happen). Some characters are amalgamations of their series or of various incarnations.

Vaati is a sorcerer. He's a wind mage. He's said to be good with a sword (he won the swordplay competition in MC, after all), but it wouldn't make any sense for him to fire a bow or huck bombs at people. Yes, Ganon is still a clone of Captain Falcon. Yes, it's silly. Sure, I'd like him to continue changing that. But at least the way in which he is a clone makes sense for him based on his skills in the Zelda games. If he was still running around at CF speed and slapping people with fire in all his moves, then yeah, it'd be terrible. But no. He's slow, heavy, and uses dark magic. If Ganon didn't have a sword, do you think he'd be completely helpless in the games? No, of course not. He'd have been trained in all sorts of weapons, including his own fists.

Oh, you know what else is inaccurate? Literally everything Zelda does. Sheik having a whip. R.O.B. in his entirety. In short, lots of things about Smash Bros. But at least the movesets in the game mostly make sense in context of the character. Vaati using Link's weapons? Doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom