• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plusle and Minun, anyone?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Plusle and Minun as an IC/Pichu combination? I dont see anything wrong with the idea. It would be an opportunity to have more double characters like IC, and there would be no problem with third party licensing. :)

Discuss? Flame? Personally, I think it would be fun as hell.

Yloh

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how popular these characters are, but it would be fun to play another Ice Climber type character. They would be like a combination of the Ice Climbers and Pikachu. In Pokemon ruby they were more powerful when they were together in a team, so something similar could happen in brawl. If they are synched, their attacts can do double the damage. This will open up some unique options and strategies of when and when not to desynch.

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
I LOVE Plusle and Minun. I was thinking they'd be good alternate costumes for Pichu, but this is an even better idea.

I'm for it.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
I want a Plusle and Minun to replace Pichu also, it would be interesting if they required more teamwork, unless the ice climbers who can just attack by themselves.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Gonzales said:
This might be able to work with Olimar and Louie, too.
Hmm... I like that idea. Olimar and Louie would make a pretty good team. They wouldnt be too tall, of course, and because of the space-suit they would be kinda floaty, but bossing Pikmin around would be fun. ^^

Keep the ideas coming! :)

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Ugh, no double characters, please. Ice Climbers were bad enough in my mind... I just think having to control one character is enough. I can't count the amount of times where I would play with a group of friends, and someone would end up using that duo, and I can always remember these two words, "They're cheap!"

Those two ******'s got on my nerves, anyway.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Actually I'd rather have Olimar without Louie, I think it would get crowded with them and the pikmin.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
And think about it. Can you imagine the announcers saying, "This games winner is... Plusle and Minun!"

That right there is an oxymoron, because it's a team effort, and when you're playing free-for-all, it's not a team effort. That's why they named them the "Ice Climbers" and not "Popo and Nana." (Or is it Bobo? I can't remember, I could really care less.) They were almost one character, because without Nana, his moves would stay the same, but would be less weak... and the fact that he had no triple jump if she wasn't in battle.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Kereokacola said:
I just think having to control one character is enough.
Well, for starters, when you use ICs youre only actually controlling one character at a time. You run around as Popo (or Nana if you changed costumes) the vast majority of the time, and the only instances when you controlled Nana were when you grabbed with Popo and were hitting with Nana, or if you dragged her.

Kereokacola said:
I can't count the amount of times where I would play with a group of friends, and someone would end up using that duo, and I can always remember these two words, "They're cheap!"
Eh, someone can always say a character is cheap, but without proper follow-through, an opinion is worthless. Note that everyone is entitled to one, but opinions that are thought out and backed-up are better opinions.

I still think that it's a good idea. Another silly thought that went through my head was maybe... On teams, if both team members chose Pichu, then they would be Plusle and Minun (but thats not really implementing them as characters T.T)

EDIT (to comment on your last post too):

Kereokacola said:
And think about it. Can you imagine the announcers saying, "This games winner is... Plusle and Minun!"
Aww... grammar isn't too hard to program, is it? Im sure the announcer could say "This games winners are... Plusle and Minun!"

Kereokacola said:
..."Popo and Nana." (Or is it Bobo? I can't remember, I could really care less.)
T.T now thats just flat out mean.

Kereokacola said:
They were almost one character, because without Nana, his moves would stay the same, but would be less weak... and the fact that he had no triple jump if she wasn't in battle.
See... the great thing about Plusle and Minun in the Pokemon games was that if they were used together then they would be powerful, but if used solo (aka only Plusle mirroring the only Popo) then the individual Pokemon be weaker. It seems fitting enough.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Yang, you're on to something. Assuming Dr. Mario and Young Link return, why not implement them as alternate costumes/alter ego's? With the power of the Wii, I am sure the developers could change Mario's fireballs into capsules just by a costume switch.

And Pichu could EASILY be Plusle or Minun, because if you remember, one of Peach's alternate costumes was Daisy, and they are two completely different beings, this also goes for Mario wearing Wario's clothes.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
:) Maybe... the Daisy and Peach example makes perfect sense, but Doc and Mario were a bit too different to be made into just costumes.

>.< hmm... this is why I should just leave it up to Nintendo, lol.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Not necessarily. His moves were basically the same. Pills instead of fireballs, and... uhh... help me out here. What else was different?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
We already have 2 electric rodents, why on earth would we want more? There are much better pokemon, and much better "IC" style characters (IE, Hammer Bros, Diddy and Dixie. ect)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
We already have 2 electric rodents, why on earth would we want more?
I see where you are coming from, but I just can't agree. I think that even though Plusle and Minun are electric rodents, they wouldn't have to use the same movelist that Pika has and that Pichu copied. Personally, I dont think it would be too tough to come up with a unique movelist for them (and if they are just alt. costumes for a Pichu team, then this is just flab).

Mic_128 said:
There are much better pokemon, and much better "IC" style characters (IE, Hammer Bros, Diddy and Dixie. ect)
Hmm... I like how you made my point while making your point. Not only are they pokemon, but they are decent IC style characters.

Sure, Hammer Bros would be nice because they havent gotten any of the rep. they deserve in the Smash games, but besides that I can see dual characters going pretty far in Smash (hence we would need more than just IC and HB).

Diddy and Dixie would be nice, but now that Rare is x360 I think it would be a bit hard to get. Plusle and Minun are pokemon, therefore easy to get through licensing! ^^

@Kereokacola- Their physics were different, like Doc's bair was much better for edge guarding, etc.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Kereokacola said:
Diddy and Dixie are not owned by Rareware. Take a look at Mario Baseball.
Hmm, touche. Donkey Konga too.
Well, that helps push the possibility of the appearance of Diddy and Dixie, but I dont see how it could hurt Plusle and Minun's chances. ^^

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Kereokacola said:
Not necessarily. His moves were basically the same. Pills instead of fireballs, and... uhh... help me out here. What else was different?
Same animation =/= same moves.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=56009
^Differences found here.

And even if they are clones in SSBM does not necessarily mean they will be in SSBB, for example Luigi is an example of this, and several clones in Soul Calibur 2 had changes in Soul Calibur 3.

Xelyst

-_-
Indaviduals >> no
Persoanlly it would be interesting if they were full of less **** and formed as a new ICer set. (New IC's should be the Hammer Bros ^^)

robyextreme

Smash Ace
What kind of pokemon is that? never seen it but I wouldent mind it replacing Pichu, except I wouldent like them to be a ditto like IC.

Nolando VII

Smash Rookie
It's a good idea, but the only way I could see this happening is if Pichu was replaced by them, and it seems very unlikely that they will remove any characters to my knowledge.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Instead of adding Plusle and Minun, why don't we add two Pokemon that don't suck as much as they do? Like any of the other ones?

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I think more Pokemon is a bad idea. Isn't it enough that we had Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu and Mewtwo in Melee? PLUS the addition of the pokeballs and all of the other creatures that would run a muck onto the stage? Seriously, that's plenty.

I don't want any more. There is plenty of room for other characters. I think Pikachu and Jigglypuff were fine additions to the Smash franchise, the addition of Pichu and Mewtwo was a little much for me...

Wrench

Smash Apprentice
NO! Adding pichu was stupid in my mind. Why would we want 2 more?! Add a cool pokemon, thats taller than 2 feet...And not electric

PokeRoyale

Smash Apprentice
Mic_128 said:
We already have 2 electric rodents, why on earth would we want more? There are much better pokemon, and much better "IC" style characters (IE, Hammer Bros, Diddy and Dixie. ect)

Yeah... I'm back. And I hate to say it, but the above person is right- I LOVE the idea of new doubles, and I considered those two cuz it works out. But there are WAY too many Pika-clones in the game already. But it'd be fun no doubt. Mangetic-electrical combos. But Hammer Bros. and certain Kongs woudl work fine too.

In short: They look and are too similar to Pikachu for me to really enjoy them in this game. But perhaps... if they made a cameo out of a certain red and white sphere......

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Who are Plusle and Minun (my spelling is probably wrong)? Are they from the show or what here?

Not to mention, Pikachu should get fatter in this game. He was almost fat enough in the 64 version, but I mean... it's Pikachu, dammit. HE'S CHUBBY, NOT FIT! That's why he's so kickass!

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
It'd be nice if they were clones of Pichu. It might make Pichu more playable, even though it wont be a pichu, itll be Plusle and Minun. Also, their up B could be similar to the Ice Climber's special, because their opposite charges attract.

Doctor Grudge

Smash Cadet
Pichu is the only character that deserves to get removed. These guys wuold make a good replacement.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
Two things:

1) OH GOD NO. We don't need any more Pikachu clones. Or even things that look vaugely similar. If they add new Pokemon, I want a badass one like Blaziken, Zangoose, or Aggron, not more of the little cutesy ones.

2) Why is it that when something unique is done once, people suddenly think it's a viable alternative to creativity? Like everyone suggesting a million transformations for different characters, just because Zelda and Sheik did it in Melee. Or character duos just because of Ice Climbers. The idea, people, is that it's special, and only they can do it. And I'd bet my father's brother* that it's going to stay that way.

*poster's father may have been an only child

Doctor Grudge

Smash Cadet
Lemming 1545 said:
Two things:

1) OH GOD NO. We don't need any more Pikachu clones. Or even things that look vaugely similar. If they add new Pokemon, I want a badass one like Blaziken, Zangoose, or Aggron, not more of the little cutesy ones.

2) Why is it that when something unique is done once, people suddenly think it's a viable alternative to creativity? Like eveyone suggesting a million transformations for different characters, just because Zelda and Sheik did it in Melee. Or character duos just because of Ice Climbers. The idea, people, is that it's special, and only they can do it. And I'd bet my father's brother* that it's going to stay that way.

*poster's father may have been an only child
That's also what I was thinking. Some characters are made to be original.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
For those of you who asked, Plusle and Minun were two pokemon from the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald series. And to everyone else, thanks for the constructive criticism (save a few all caps lock "no way" comments).

@McFox, Wrench, etc.: Eh, I was kind of hoping for the kind of criticism that doesn't just blurt out "those pokemon suck, get new ones". I appreciate comments like PokeRoyal's, the ones that say why it might be a bad idea. >.>

@Lemming1545: Blaziken, sure he's badass. But I dunno about Zangoose and Aggron. And by the way,

Why is it that when something unique is done once, people suddenly think it's a viable alternative to creativity? Like eveyone suggesting a million transformations for different characters, just because Zelda and Sheik did it in Melee. Or character duos just because of Ice Climbers. The idea, people, is that it's special, and only they can do it. And I'd bet my father's brother* that it's going to stay that way.
I'm going to go ahead and speak for the people you've gone and bashed as ignorant and uncreative. Character copies were in Melee, and people didn't seem to mind. Doc and Mario were awfully similar, with only slightly different physics and costumes separating them. Ganondorf and C.Falcon... Fox and Falco... they share move lists and basic physics like these "uncreative" posters have been suggesting about Hammer Bros and *cough* Plusle and Minun would with Ice Climbers. I dont see the problem with handling things similarly to how the devs have. Sure, the idea of a duo character is very unique. Props to whoever came up with it... but the Ice Climbers are not the only characters who could fall perfectly under this catagory. The idea of Hammer Bros. similar to Ice Climbers seems pretty legit. The same idea goes with the Zelda and Sheik transformation move, though personally I have never given a second thought to it before (I always thought that Zelda and Sheik would be better as two separate characters).

Someone can take an idea that has been used before and come up with something perfectly creative. *cough* Doc Mario. I can still see Plusle and Minun as a decent dual character, while still being very unique with their magnetic/electrical combos. Also, a previous idea of strategic opportunities where synching would be better than desynching, etc. seemed like a wonderful addition.

Another thing: Mario, Luigi, Doc, Bowser, Peach, and Yoshi are all from the Mario games (Well, Yoshi has his own Yoshi's Story egg logo). With the addition of Wario and possibly more (Waluigi, Baby Bower, all the Mallow and Geno requests...), thats a bunch of characters from one main series. And sure, Super Mario Bros. is the key Nintendo series, but Pokemon is quite up there too, and I think that we can afford to have more than 4 Pokemon characters.

(Please take all this with a grain of salt, I dont mean to be offensive, just impassioned.)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Okay, I'll go more indepth.

We already have Pikachu. We already have Pichu. I've seen even more people demanding for Raichu in the game too. Now Plusle and Minun.

What makes the various Pokemon unique are their elemental powers. So far, Smash has a Normal type, A Psychic type, and TWO electric types. Also, one of the electric types is pretty much exactly like Plusle and Minun already.

A lot of people complain that they don't want any more Pokemon in the game. These people think that, like Jigglypuff, Pikachu, and Pichu, all Pokemon are cutesy and lovable.

The elemental powers can make more Pokemon additions to the game a good thing. However, if we simply keep adding electric rodents, the roster starts to get repetitive.

Instead of adding MORE electric mouse Pokemon, they should take Pokemon with other various elements and add them. Water, Fire, Grass, Fighting (Hitmonelee!), Dark, Steel, Poison, the list goes on and on. Plenty of different elements have Pokemon that could work for Smash.

True, we don't already have a Pichu-Pichu team, but we've already got two electric mice. Adding more doesn't add anything to the roster, it's just more of the same. If they add more Pokemon, they need to add more varied elements, not more of what's ALREADY in the game.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking something along the lines of Diddy Kong and Dixy [sorry about spelling] being a team like Ice climbers. Could work out to be pretty cool.

yay first post. Hi guys.

PeachMystique

Smash Rookie
i would love to see plusle and minun in the game! I thought Pichu was pretty annoying (but made up for it with cuteness)

i hope they consider it...they can take out Mew Two if need be.....>>

Giant Mech

Smash Rookie
I was just thinking about the Plusle and Minun combo today. But yeah, now that I think of it, that is alot of pokemon.
The idea for them to be costumes for Pichu is a good idea though, I didn't even think of that.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Mic_128 said:
Diddy and Dixie both have enough moves to be SEPERATE characters not a team.

But yeah Plusle and Minun would be ok i wouldn't be over the moon if they where in there or bummed if they arn't

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
PeachMystique said:
i would love to see plusle and minun in the game! I thought Pichu was pretty annoying (but made up for it with cuteness)

i hope they consider it...they can take out Mew Two if need be.....>>
Did anyone even read my post?

Take out Mewtwo to add two more electric rats?

That sounds to me like the worst idea ever.

Top Bottom