• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
PS3 will cost nearly a thousand dollars, and he says gamers will want to pay that amount of money for the mildly better graphics it will offer over other consoles.

The thing that pisses me off the most about Sony is that they remade a teaser of FF7 for PS3, getting all our hopes up for a remake, and then they crushed all our hopes: Not only are they not doing it, but they've declared that remaking FF7 IS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE because of the tremendous costs of developing the content. All this for stupid ****ing graphics.

They can't even make good games anymore. The PS3 is for dog**** racing and football games, and nothing more.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wanna put in my two cents on this matter. I have to disagree with some of the people who getting rabid in here and say there were a couple of games which looked pretty nice, namely MGS4, Eight Days, and that game where the chick was killing all the guys in the arena. However, as has already been said, Sony is incredibly lame stealing the motion sensing idea. I do, however, think that this is going to backfire on them and actually work in Nintendo's favour. I've seen many people saying things to the effect of "I was considering getting a PS3 but after seeing them steal Nintendo's ideas, and the insanely high price, I'm definitely going to get a Wii now".

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Silly Sony stealing Ideas. Oh, well. The new controller still cant do most of what the Rev controller can so they just basically made themselves look stupid and greedy.

Wiimote PS3 controller comparison.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

Edit: Did anybody notice that the ps3 controller lost the rumble ability because of this lol.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
During the conference, Sony was attempting to lead everyone in believing that the tilt functionality would work in a similar fashion to the Wiimote. Actually, it has about as much functionality as Kirby: Tilt n' Tumble.

Lame.

And yes, HMWii, there were a couple of good-looking games. However, most of these "games" were actually just CGI of planned games. There was VERY little gameplay footage of anything. And there was VERY few games that actually looked new (as in, I hadn't played them before). Lair (the dragon game) looked incredible, but was available in CG only. There were several war games, whose names I forget not only because they look like each other but because they look like the war games already out today (Call of Duty, Battlefield). Afrika looked good, but what the hell is the point? It was just animals walking around.

The entire presentation was lame. It looked like it was tailor-made for NONgamers to see it. There was a huge amount of rehash of things we already knew. There were random morons talking about how great they expected the system to be, all of whom were CLEARLY nongamers. It's fine to market to nongamers to try and win some over, but not AT E3. E3 is THE gamer expo. Random idiots talking about how awesome they heard graphics are supposed to be was just ridiculous.

Me and Cashed agree that they couldn't have had a worse presentation if they had TRIED.

*EDIT* Actually, let me elaborate on something above. The tilt technology in the PS3 controller isn't really that lame. They obviously wouldn't have done it if Nintendo hadn't made the Wiimote, but for what it is, the functionality should add a new level of to control of some PS3 games that they wouldn't have had before.

I was still recovering from my initial shock of "OMG SONY COMPLETELY RIPPED OFF NINTENDO."

The functionality will be able to be used to enhance some PS3 games.

Their presentation as a whole still sucked though.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Heavenly Sword was very impressive, but mostly just from an artistic point of view. It was only really impressive because of the creative camera angles and nicely done animation. Also that RE4-style bit at the end was a nice touch. Isn't that game coming out for 360, though? I don't really remember.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
The 9th is when we get to see the revo smash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just feel it comin!!!!

and im not worried about the ps3 tilt controler............sony just proved nintendo right..
nintendo wants to change gameplay.........now sony is doing it....... nintendo does have an effect on the over all schem of things.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
See the button in the middle of the PS3 controller with the PS logo? It does the same stuff as the Xbox Guide button does on the 360. So we have Sony taking both Microsoft's and Nintendo's controller ideas... and putting them into their same old Dual Shock controller. Seems like they should atleast make the thing more comfortable.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Yea what the hell is the point of getting the $500 PS3? It seems completely ******** to get it.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This was a post I found on 4chan, I think its pretty insightfull

"I feel like the PS3 is coming out a year too early, and the XBox2 came out 3 years too early. MS released the XBox2 in order to shake up what was a losing market for itself. I think the internal strategy was to win over the Asian market. I think that was their prime directive. Sony's mistake has been to allow MS to scare them into an unplanned upgrade.

Now, some people will point out that the upgrade path is 5 years, period, and therefore it was time to move up. I disagree with that as well. My last computer stayed near-top-of-the-line for almost 4 years. We have recently seen a stagnation in hardware that hasn't happened in all of my lifetime. CPU speeds sat around 3 Ghz for almost 4 years. A ceiling was hit that required a move to multi-core procs to get past. Memory technology swam through molasses. MS hasn't had a new OS in forever. Creative Labs had the same high-end soundcard for years. HD technology was reaching a ceiling as well.

Then, half a year ago, you had this quantum leap in technology. The Audigy came out, multi-core procs, DDR3, Vertical HD recording was announced, video cards took a huge leap after various failed launches, the technology was moving again after this long pause. That long pause is why 5 years was not enough this time. MS and Sony are having to pay a premium for advanced technology right as the pace of innovation is taking off. These consoles will not feel powerful 2 years from now compared to what is cheaply available. For instance, I think Physics Add-On Cards are going to be standard in two years for PC's.

Everyone kicks the PS2 around for being built on aging hardware, but play God of War or Metal Gear Subsistance to see what good devs can do. There was plenty of life left in the XBox, and it was abandoned two years too early."

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Wow Sony, first the price tag and then the cheap "we tried to rip off Nintendo and failed miserably". Now you have Squenix's Kingdom Hearts team making a FF XIII sequel.

PS3 For teh lose.

EvilEvincar

Smash Journeyman
With the $500-600 pricing of the PS3, Sony has not only shot themselves in the foot, but they shot themselves in the face. It maybe a cheap Blu-ray player, but that is still pretty fraking expensive.
It just makes it worse when the "cheap" model doesn't have Wifi (I'm presuming there is a ethernet port) nor HDMI. Then again, isn't Sony saying they have the true HD system, and yet not including a HD output on their system?

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Wow, glad I decided to check this out when I did.

Well, what I have to say has pretty much already been said. Boo on Sony. But if the other companies play their cards right, this could easily be turned into a booster for themselves.

It all goes back to Sony's (poor) business ethics. Anybody remember the rootkit scandal? Or the New York DJ payoff? Or even the Dual Shock lawsuit?

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, so, is it just me, or was Sony's conference BLAH?
I mean, the most exciting thing they announced was the TILTING function on the controller.

AND they announced the console is going to cost SIX hundred dollars, with a bare-bones stripped down pack for $500.

Naw, son. I want a gaming console, not a...whatever this is supposed to be.
$600, and not a single game at launch that's taunting me?
Please.
Nintendo, Microsoft, give me something to talk about, please.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow.

Just wow.

Way to go Sony.

On the plus side, having tilt funcionality means 3rd party suport

No, I can't even finish that sentance. Screw you Sony Executives. Screw you all.

In the face.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
last gen once i got over my nintendo fanboyish and wasnt mad the my sister got a sony console, i started to enjoy the PS2. I thought that maybe I can get that feeling from the Ps3 and use it as my secondary console... but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Ps3 is teh suxxorz

NukeA6

Smash Master
WTH was Sony thinking. I had high hopes for them but it's kinda slipping. I do like the fact they changed the controller but I'm not happy they stolen ideas and act like they made it.

Looks like Nintendo may have actually went a right direction after all. I can't wait for the New Super Smash Bros!!

§Maverick§

Smash Journeyman
I think alot of people don't really understand what the Wii controller is, and why it's so much more than the piddling bit that of junk that Sony managed to put together. For instance, the Wii controller could control RTS games by acting like a laser pointer, could support shooting games like duck hunt by acting as a gun, could support adventure games by acting like a mouse, and could be used like a lowrent version of motion capture (think boxing gloves for punchout).

The PS3 controller can't do any of that. Sony managed to claim, like, 1 of the several dozen different ways the wii controller could be used.

Basically all the PS3 controller does is map one of it's analog sticks to your arms. That's it.

Don't lose heart, friends, Nintendo is going to trounce Sony Today and make it look as pathetic as it was.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I wonder how Nintendo will take this. Cause well its there idea and do not get any credit for it. However they said gaming needs to become broader and appeal to more people. If they had any doubts about the direction they went sony just crushed all of those by basically showing they completely support this way. If they did not implent it it shows they do not think the idea could have an impact but now they show they do. If more developers get the chance to use this new way it wil develope faster. So from a gaming perspective it could actually be good. Another thing is that we do not know what more the wii will offer. From a business perspective it could actually be good for nintendo much like a trojan horse.If people get introduced to motion sensors and like it on ps3 in the end they could say it feels more limited. And cause the Wii will be way cheaper they might actually buy a wii cause of it. So you could say sony will be indirectly be advertising for the wii. I gues only the future can tell.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ryuker said:
I wonder how Nintendo will take this.
CNN Money asked a Nintendo spokesman about Sony's 'non-boomerang', and the spokesman had this simple message: "...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

And Microsoft

General manager of the Game Developer Group at Microsoft, Chris Satchell, said he “Came away a little disappointed,” and that “We really didn’t see anything that was innovative – it was the same experiences we’ve seen before.”

Head of Microsoft Game Studios Shane Kim had this to say: "I've said this before, but there was nothing from Sony's briefing that would make us change anything regarding our plans. We are very confident in our approach, especially now. We have a much better online story and much better content. Finally, we feel that our superior price point provides us an advantage."

About the controller, Kim said "We actually had a very similar product on the market for the PC - the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro. It was a great controller for a very specific set of games, but wasn't accepted as an overall controller. We considered the technology when developing the Xbox 360, but felt it wasn't the way to go." Satchell added "I view Sony's motion-sensing controller more as an attempt to address what Nintendo is doing with the Wii."

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
So the PS3 really did rip off the Wii. That's hilarious. Now instead of being an over priced computer, it's an over priced computer that is inferior to the cost efficiant Wii. This will defineately boost Wii sales. But if they really win the DVD war, then it will be worth it, huh? For them at least.

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yahoo! Video Games said:
According to the latest specifications released by Sony, the PS3 now only comes with one Ethernet port and four USB ports. Also, the lack of a second HDMI port means that the dual-screen setup running 1080p function that was shown off last year is no longer a possibility.

The PlayStation 3 will come in two configurations, one will have a 20GB hard drive and the other will have a 60GB hard drive. However, losing 40GB isn't the only downgrade with the 20GB version. The 20GB version, priced at $499, will not have Memory Stick, SD, or Compact Flash inputs, Wi-Fi capabilities, or any HDMI output.

The new motion-sensitive controller, included standard in both the 20GB and 60GB models, will lack a feature that was present in the PlayStation 2's DualShock 2 controller--vibration. Citing the new "six-degree," a statement from Sony says "vibration itself interferes with information detected by the sensor."

The removal of vibration could also have something to do with the lawsuit won by Immersion Technologies, which sued Sony for copyright infringement based on the rumble feature in PlayStation controllers. Microsoft faced a similar suit, but settled out of court.
That says it all - SONY as much as i love them - has made some poor choices...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I agree. It's one thing to have the less expensive version have a smaller hardrive. It's another to remove features from it. Without wi-fi you will have to wire the PSP to the PS3. It makes no sense.

And can someone change the title? You're not exactly encouraging intelligent discussion.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
The PlayStation 3 will come in two configurations, one will have a 20GB hard drive and the other will have a 60GB hard drive. However, losing 40GB isn't the only downgrade with the 20GB version. The 20GB version, priced at $499, will not have Memory Stick, SD, or Compact Flash inputs, Wi-Fi capabilities, or any HDMI output.

The new motion-sensitive controller, included standard in both the 20GB and 60GB models, will lack a feature that was present in the PlayStation 2's DualShock 2 controller--vibration. Citing the new "six-degree," a statement from Sony says "vibration itself interferes with information detected by the sensor."

The removal of vibration could also have something to do with the lawsuit won by Immersion Technologies, which sued Sony for copyright infringement based on the rumble feature in PlayStation controllers. Microsoft faced a similar suit, but settled out of court.
then nintendo's tech is superior, because they have rumble in both the revmote AND the nunchucku. According to Ubisoft Red steel devs, anyways.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
If the PS3 had been released in spring like it was supposed to, we would of had all those ports in the back as well as rumble features in the controllers. That "motion sensing" wouldn't be here either. Plus it cant do a dual screen setup because the port is gone. Ouch.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
I HATE SONY!!!!!!!!! i just was watching G4 and saw thier unvieling of the new PS3 controller... i can't believe they stole the nintendo technology... thats low be inventive u little idiots!

beckhamisaqueer

Smash Cadet
To the people saying Sony, "doesn't have the technology" to put rumble in the contoller:

Sony lost the rumble to a lawsuit. Not lack of technology.

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even Microsoft complimented Nintendo, and said as for sony

MGS general manager Shane Kim said:
As for the PS3's new motion-sensitive controller? "We tried that five or six years ago with the Freestyle Pro," he said. "It worked well for a few games, but it wasn't a general purpose controller. It seems as though they were taking a page from Nintendo's book [in reference to the Wii's controller], but Nintendo is more innovative."
(stolen from GameSpot)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This isn't a PS3 bashing topic, take that to the console debates.

PS3 and Wii aren't doing anything new, Motion-sensoring has been around a while. Nintendo just decided to make it part of every game.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
You guys heard about the PS3's motion sensitive controller and whatnot, but this is news fresh from E3:

Citing a desire to compete in non-english speaking markets and craft a more inclusive gaming experience, Sony has dumped "PS3" as the expected name of its upcoming system.

Instead, the new system will be called "Puu"

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Hahaha get it that's funny because it's mocking what Nintendo did with the Wii by making a simple name that has different connotations in English!

Witty.

Top Bottom