• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation All-Stars Beta Response

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
Are beta keys still being given out?
On here? Not sure. Ask AlphaZealot. Superbot's facebook gives out a ton.

Was gonna do an epic post about 2.0, but I can’t say much...

-Stage Hazards hurt a whole lot. I used to not care much about Metropolis’ center hazard much, but now it hurts too much to risk. I need to play tighter and I like it.
-The moveset adjustments feel fair overall. The occasional whiff does suck, but whatevs.
-We should be punished harder for whiffing Level 3’s.
-The rate we gain meter is much higher.
-I was a bit concerned that these initial characters were too simple when they began revealing more complicated characters, but I feel confident of the abilities of these characters.

iLink

Smash Champion
I sent alphazealot a PM about 3 or 4 days ago without a response so far. The facebook page only hands out 5 or so on random days.

Sables

Smash Rookie
Ok, is it just me or has the hit detection been getting worse? Have had an absolutely terrible string of matches where attacks no where near me are pulling me in and landing solid hits. There's barely any dodging anymore cause it doesn't matter, you'll get pulled in regardless

Some really bad lagging matches recently too with tons of random teleporting. I hadn't been having this problem too much and it seemed to go down after 2.0 but all of a sudden its just gone up again

Blocking definitely needs to be fixed. Right now there's no way to punish them and people can just sit there and block all day without consequence until you go grab them or hit them with a Super. There has to be some moves that can break shields or they should deplete in some way so you can still build meter, but slower when hitting a blocker and it slowly builds up more the longer they hold that posiiton. Anything so that its not as overpowered as it is now. Its fine to have it work from both sides. That's how it should be in this type of game, but right now you can't do anything to a blocker other than a grab up close. That's a huge problem for any mid to long range characters

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure when you take away lag, blocking in it's current form is probably too good. It's pretty weird because I don't block often. I just simply get out of the way to position myself for a counter-attack. A 1 on 1 situation, however, will contain a lot of reaction-based decisions like blocking. Grabs should be ideal counters, but are often too slow and don't feel like they're worth the effort.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
ive been running past blocking n00bs and doing pivot grabs for the lolz

Sqid

Smash Apprentice
Alright, back from North Carolina, though I have an activity 10 hours a day, so I've been trying to squeeze in as much playing as possible.
This beta needs to include multiplayer with more than one person per PS3 (obviously all 4 offline, but having 2 or 3 people online from the same PS3 would be a great feature (if it's not already planned - I hope so)).
Keep in mind that I have only been playing Kratos to start, and now only Sweet Tooth (though I've tried every character).
Character Thoughts:
Kratos: Definitely a fun, easy to pick up starter character. Seems very balanced, though he could definitely gain AP much faster and still be fine. Works well as the "Mario" of this game, in a way.
Parappa: Seems fun, not really my style of playing though. Pretty good character overall, I expected not to like him, but I don't mind him at all.
Fat Princess: I really don't like her. At all. By far my least favorite character. Her moveset's fine, but I don't like her actual "personality" (voice, movement style, especially her art (specifically the character select art for her). But, I haven't played the game, so whatever. Sue me.
Sweet Tooth: My main, at least for the beta. He's powerful but not to slow, has a good level 1 super that is fun to try to set up multikills with, and gains AP at a quick pace. Definitely a fun character who I also did not expect to like so much.
Radec: Haven't played him much, felt like his style wasn't for me. Seems pretty balanced, but I feel like the electric stun bombs he leaves in the air could be nerfed (stun time reduction or something).
Sly: When I heard about PSASBR, I expected to main between Kratos, Sly, and Ratchet & Clank, the characters whose games I have played the most and enjoyed. So far, I've gotten 0.5/2 of those who I've tried (I secondary Kratos and can't play Ratchet yet). Unfortunately, Sly just didn't feel like my style, and I didn't love his moveset. Playing in matches against Sly mains definitely shows that he's slightly overpowered and should be nerfed at least a bit (or maybe other characters are better? Hopefully not, and it's balanced).

Overall Gameplay Pros/Cons:
Pros:
-The two-franchise stage feature seemed like it would be odd at first, but they really made it fit how you play (but I swear every player can probably quote Buzz word for word by now :p).
-Items fit pretty well into play as well, better than Brawl items do. Keep in mind that there are only a few right now, though.
-Scoring system works very well, 2 for kills and -1 for deaths (is that how Brawl scoring works? I just play stock mostly).
-Very lovely graphics, and the menu and other various details make it look very high quality and polished.
Cons:
-A few balance issues, like Kratos needs to gain AP faster, Radec's stun should be nerfed, Sly should be nerfed. Not that big of a deal.
-Obviously this is just for the beta, but it's buggy. Tons of level 3 bugs, sometimes people don't show up at all on victory/losing screens (though at least it shows the right winner now), etc.
-Also just for beta, but only one game mode, and one person per PS3. Though I don't get how I'm supposed to test a party game if I can't play with 3 of my friends at my house, so why isn't that in this beta?
-Probably can't do anything about this, but it's pretty frustrating when you just miss with a super. I feel like they could be less interruptible or something, but like someone else in this thread said, it kind of feels like working someone up in Brawl to 150% or so and then just having them reset to 0.
-Also, since this is supposed to be a game where, unlike Brawl, defensive play is not rewarded (i.e., camping doesn't work). There's one move that breaks this: Parappa's stereo that spits out AP. I've had a few games where a Parappa goes in a corner and does this, and everyone else is engaged in fighting on the other side of the screen and does not stop him.
-One song (two, kinda) per stage? I guess you can't help it with the dual franchise stage feature.

Other Notes:
-Not sure if this is a bug/they haven't implemented it yet, but the menu music doesn't loop. There are 8 beats of silence before it restarts.
-I had something else, but can't remember. Will edit if I do.

Overall a very fun game, although lacking in party playability for the beta. Good job, SuperBot.

Other Other Notes:
If you are looking at PSN names, I am Sqid2.
On Brawl I'm Sqid, and on PSASBR, I'm Sqid, too. Sqid2. Get it? :D
Brawl mains are Ike, TL, and Luigi, with some Pit, G&W, and Lucas on the side, and I'm learning Snake a bit.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
New keys distributed to:

X iLink X
Jinkwai
Mike G
Purdi

If you live near Los Angeles, California, and would like a chance to speak with the developers in person, send me a PM. You must be a proven member of the Smash community (so if you have a Aug join date and 0 posts do not reply).

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Fat Princess' square nair and dairs need to be swapped around

Sables

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to discover as much as possible and have been going through each character slowly. I mained Radec for a while, I moved to Sweet Tooth, and then I discovered Fat Princess' awesome potential. I just moved on to Kratos and I have to say. I don't get how I've seen people say he builds meter poorly. That's not the case at all, especially since I've found that his Level 1 Super is easily one of the best in this beta. I've only figured out a few combos with him in the few matches so far and am able to get to a full bar of meter very fast. I can only assume people who say otherwise simply have not put the time into learning how to use Kratos.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Thanks for the beta key AZ, but im having a bit of trouble on knowin where to actually get the game. Is it in the psn store? Lol i have a feeling the answer is staring me in the face but any help setting this up would be nice :)

Nvm i got it lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Three points...

1. Kratos LV 1 is indeed slower. Earlier on, there was a discussion on how easy it is to see coming and it the super would be primarily used as a tech read. Now I'm not so sure if this is viable given the length of the time this super takes to execute. Remember, an opponent can remain flat on the ground with a few invincibility frames prior to making their decision on getting up, rolling left or right.

2. Kratos LV 2: Not sure if this was in the first beta, but I like how things slow down around him, giving him time to connect with the super. The range is rather limited and can be used as an anti-air. Nice to know it can be used into a combo as well.

3. Parappa's LV1 builds up too fast and is too easy to use in FFA. Simply use his long grab (F+O I think), and execute your super.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
New keys distributed to:

X iLink X
Jinkwai
Mike G
Purdi

If you live near Los Angeles, California, and would like a chance to speak with the developers in person, send me a PM. You must be a proven member of the Smash community (so if you have a Aug join date and 0 posts do not reply).
I've got questions for anyone who is going to this.

Sables

Smash Rookie
The more I play matches on Sandover Village, the more it becomes clear. The penalty for staying in the water needs to be much bigger and it needs to be fixed so that it doesn't respawn you while your on the wheel.

If you enter the water and then sit on the wheel, it will respawn you even if your not in the water unless you get all the way back to the top. If you sit on the wheel a few extra seconds you'll be respawned. That's not right and I wonder if they are aware of that.

After that, the penalty if far too low. Its a certain amount of AP that you lose, that as long as no ones around you can easily pick back up after it falls out. Anytime you activate a Level 3 Super, other than Parappa, everyone runs straight for the water. Always. They just sit there until its over and they don't care about respawning cause the penalty isn't big enough. It clearly needs to be bigger this way people don't jump and stay in the water so easily. I can understand SuperBot not wanting to give them a -1 on their score for it, but they need to lose more AP for it, maybe even all their AP. They'd start with a complete empty bar of AP if they sit in the water. This way it actually will hurt them and give them a reason not to do it.

Right now, player's aren't afraid. They run to the water instantly and don't care if they lose a little AP. That's more than worth keeping someone from getting +2 and yourself -1 points.

iLink

Smash Champion
Well now that I've got a decent amount of games in.

I'm actually enjoying the game more then I thought I would. I was worried that your opponent not having a life bar or such would make beating on them not as rewarding, but filling your AP meter fast is what the game is about so you actually get rewarded pretty well for being aggro.

One thing I think the game needs is a little speed boost. Every characters just feels like they are on the moon when in the air and it seems like its faster to travel by rolling as opposed to running. When you get knocked far away from the action (which usually happens by the people just mashing forward square), it feels like it takes a little too long to situate yourself back in the action.

On that note, the sfx of the game are extremely bothersome. Everything sounds squishy and nothing really sounds like it has any force behind it aside from maybe the gunshots.

In terms of the netcode, I've had some games with no problem at all and some where everyone is teleporting around and being pulled in by attacks that don't look like they should have connected at all. No way of telling how much people's connections are at fault but games like that were extremely frustrating.

I also want to bring up the fact that you can't use any supers in the air. Was this a specific design choice? It seems like most, if not all supers should be able to be used in the air and its kind of bothersome how you have to be grounded first in order to do them.

I know they aren't looking for bug feedback, but the bug with sly's lvl 3 is extremely annoying. After he gets all his kills with the camera, he will usually be in the lead, but it will also sometimes glitch and the camera won't go away. It seems like the player has control of it still and just positions it in a far off corner of the stage so no one can see themselves. This makes it so no one can see what they are doing and can't score any kills to try to take the lead back.

Character feedback:

Kratos -
Being able to control all that space in front of him is really good. At that mid range, you are at constant threat of that forward square attack grabbing you and tossing you to the other side of the stage. Blocking it at a distance is rather annoying too since most characters don't have a fast enough attack to punish.

Combos are pretty fun and flow well.

I've found his lvl 1 is mostly useless against people that have played for a good while. It takes too long to start up and most attentive players will easily jump over it. The only use I've found for it (aside from just catching people who aren't paying attention) is tech chase and even then it is still somewhat unreliable.

Lvl 2 is pretty good and I've found you can combo into it. One thing that is throwing me off is where the heck the hitbox is on this thing. I've had people stand right behind or on me and not be effected at all while other times I've had people stand behind me with a bit of distance get caught in it.

Lvl 3 is alright. You should usually at least be able to get 3 kills, if not 4. Not much else to say really.

Parrapa -
My favorite character to use so far. His Circle attack (mic pull) is really helpful considering he is pretty short ranged. Haven't found too much use for most of his skateboard attacks other then Down Triangle. They mostly have this weird delay between him moving and actually hitting with the skateboard where you will usually get hit first.

His Down Circle isn't nearly as good as people say. Even if you isolate yourself from everyone else and start collecting AP, the amount is pretty minuscule and everyone else is usually building meter faster by beating on each other. All in all, I think its pretty useless for the most part. I prefer it that way though to avoid having people just camp in a corner and farming AP.

Lvl 1 supers are usually what I go for. It seems to build really fast and the super is really fast to so you can through it out at a lot of opportunities, as well as combo into it. This is another super where I just have no idea where the actual hitbox is and I kind of just guess. People will stand right in front of me and sometimes be totally unaffected by it. A lot of times I try Circle and super, and it will totally just whiff even if they are right in front of me.

Lvl 2 super is pretty good too. I can usually net 2 kills with it if not 3.

Lvl 3 I pretty much never try to go for. It only gets you 3 kills and it takes way too long to build. You can build like 4 or 5 Lvl 1's by the time you get this. I only really go for it to troll.

Fat Princess -
Admittedly, I haven't spent too much time using her. She seems pretty average overall though.

Lvl 1 seems pretty decent. Same uses as Kratos' Lvl 1 but better due to it being faster. I usually try to use this one mostly.

Lvl 2 seems ok. I might be bad at using the chicken but I have a lot of trouble with people being tricky about dodging it.

Lvl 3 is a hit more miss. Sometimes I'll only get 2 people with it at most, and sometimes I'll score 4 or 5 kills if I'm lucky. It's basically a gamble.

Sweet Tooth -
Seems a little better then average. He's got a lot of strong attacks with fairly fast startup. That Forward Square is fairly obnoxious if you are in the middle of fighting someone else and then it rams you across the map.

Lvl 1 seems fairly good with fast startup. You are only going to be scoring 1 kill with it though.

Lvl 2 is ok if there's a group of people, but a lot of the time you are only going to get one kill so I stick with Lvl 1 or 3.

Lvl 3 is pretty good. You'll usually get 3 kills if not more.

Radec -
I kind of like him but I'm pretty awful with him lol. Circle and Forward Triangle are great if you can get some distance from everyone and Triangle is good for those mid ranges when someone is trying to get in on you. I just wish there was a way to choose when to detonate your Down Square or Down Triangle.

Lvl 1 I'm actually not even sure how it works. When I pick a location, the missile will sometimes travel through someone without effecting them at all. I avoid using this one as much as possible.

Lvl 2 is the one I'm usually trying to go for. Can usually get at least 2 people if not 3.

Lvl 3 is also pretty good. Gets 3 to 5 kills depending on how fast you can take people out.

Sly -
I have mixed feelings about him. Not being able to block really sucks, although invisibility has its uses. Invisibility is only really seems viable in FFA because people aren't always watching you and you have the chance to sneak up on people, not to mention hide from people activating their supers. It also sucks that he isn't exactly completely invisible, you can still faintly see him. People that are aware of that fact will start swinging at him knowing he is in the general area and since he can't block, he will be hit. His Down Triangle can be used to work around that a bit, but its ultimately holding him back I think.

His combos are also rather hard to do in a FFA since they require some placement and time to do.

Lvl 1 I think should hit the entire time he's out and not just when he trips. I don't use this one too often.

Lvl 2 is pretty good. I manage to score 3 kills with this often.

Lvl 3 is also good. Can usually get at least 4 kills.

Some stages I think are just a little too huge. The Hades stage especially gets hard to see when the camera pans out so far. It's a common occurrence when the camera pans out too far and my character gets lost behind the character portraits and the meters.

The Sandover stage also should probably have a higher penalty for going into the water. A lot of lvl 2 and 3 supers can be avoided by just jumping in there.

Items don't seem like such an issue for the most part. Of the ones usable, the rpg seems like the best one.

Link360

Smash Cadet
Not able to find any games tonight, first time playing the beta on it's new update, hmmm...

zmx

Smash Lord
The beta has not been working for 3-4 days now. We keep getting the matchmaking timed out long message about maintenance.

I wonder what Superbot is up to. Hopefully they are fixing all the glitches.

Top Bottom