• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder with Assassin's creed 4 coming out and given the devs using PS all stars as an ad platform for their new stuff (where's our classic Dante costume!) I think if there's an Assassin's Creed character it's gonna be Edward from AC4. I could see his Square attacks as basic melee, his triangle as dual swords and his circle being guns and other gimmicks. Plus a Level 3 based on ship combat would be AWSOME

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I wonder with Assassin's creed 4 coming out and given the devs using PS all stars as an ad platform for their new stuff (where's our classic Dante costume!) I think if there's an Assassin's Creed character it's gonna be Edward from AC4. I could see his Square attacks as basic melee, his triangle as dual swords and his circle being guns and other gimmicks. Plus a Level 3 based on ship combat would be AWSOME
i'd rather have Ezio or Altair myself but i guess it would make sense for it to be Edward, considering how the rest of the roster is. i think the Prince of Persia would be the best rival for him. though i doubt they'd use him

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Really bummed this game is pretty much done now, it has some much more potential in characters than Smash does. (Considering ya'know, Sony dumps tons of third parties in this).

Hearing Abe was canned is heartbreaking, I loved Oddworld.
If you ask me, they should have bootlegged Smash's basic health system rules instead of attempting to foster the Super-focused one that looked ******** from Day One. If they had made a game that was for all intents and purposes Sony Smash Bros., it would have been a lot more successful imo, and maybe even tournament-worthy.

I still think they should have updated the looks of all their characters bar Parappa though. The mix between high-res and low-res characters is too great for a game that's trying to outdo its competition with superior visuals.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I actually like the super system, and most people who actually gave it a chance enjoyed it as well. I didnt like the idea at first, but after trying it out, Im a huge fan. And this game is definitely tournament worthy, it just needs more people to play it. There are tournaments for it in my area all the time and we have an active scene that thoroughly enjoys the game.

And the graphics are great lol, especially the stages like San Francisco.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Well having given it a fair turn of play, I guess it's just not my thing. I can't enjoy a fighting game that has no health and where a missed super means all the previous work you did towards building said super counts for absolutely nothing. It doesn't surprise me that it isn't in the EVO main event list for 2013 in that regard.

If this game gets a sequel, I might look out for that and see what improvements it may bring to the fore.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well in high level play, people dont really miss supers, its all about confirms. Rarely do you see a whiffed super unless its a read that failed or someone drops a combo for some reason, but even then, characters get their level 1 in a single combo, or very close to it, and level 2 in 2-3, so missing it isnt the biggest problem.

The only thing that does suck is that the bottom tier characters are pretty nonviable, much like Melee's bottom tiers, they arent ever going to win at top level. Luckily though, theres hope in that they could get buffed in upcoming patches, but that has yet to happen. Regardless though, more than half the cast is viable at top level atm, so while bottom tiers are really bad, the majority of characters can be successful.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The one problem I have is Kratos's AP gain is too high. It's not uncommon to see Kratos get his level 3 in a free for all whereas most other characters would only get theirs once in a blur moon

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
The only thing that does suck is that the bottom tier characters are pretty nonviable, much like Melee's bottom tiers, they arent ever going to win at top level. Luckily though, theres hope in that they could get buffed in upcoming patches, but that has yet to happen. Regardless though, more than half the cast is viable at top level atm, so while bottom tiers are really bad, the majority of characters can be successful.
who do u think is low tier? there is no official tier list as there's been a lot of buffs since the games release. all the characters are perfectly viable to me. just some dont suit my playstyle. like Drake who is far from being low tier.

@Guybrush20x6
Kratos' high AP gain is kind of offset by the fact that his super are probably some of the easiest to dodge in the game. even his level 3 is easy if u can get your distance and dodge roll when he shoots at u

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Bottom tier is Jak, Big Daddy, Heihachi, and Radec.

And while theres no official tier list, its pretty much agreed by everyone that those are the bottom 4 by a bit of a margin. Jak is a bit better than the other 3, but hes still really bad.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Radec and Big Daddy can do well in random free for alls but are useless one on one. Heihachi sticks a bit too close to his Tekken roots and suffers for it. Still has one of the best Lvl 3 IMO though.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Rade
Bottom tier is Jak, Big Daddy, Heihachi, and Radec.

And while theres no official tier list, its pretty much agreed by everyone that those are the bottom 4 by a bit of a margin. Jak is a bit better than the other 3, but hes still really bad.
radec and jak r far from low tier. Each character has received significant imporvements since they were introduced. Radecs actually one of the most used characters online so clearly there's some use in him u don't see. Probably his good crowd control. big daddy probably is bottom tier though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
This is only 1v1 btw, it doesnt take into account 2v2 or FFA. And online is always ffa, hazards on, items on, which is pretty much the exact opposite of who tournaments go in competitive play. Also, I should mention Sir Daniel, Sweet Tooth, and Dante are all pretty borderline nonviable as well.

Anyway, Jak is awful because, while hes quick, he has THE slowest meter gain in the game, and also has no way to confirm into either his level 1 or 2 (other than a super situational level 1 set up which you wont get on a good player), forcing him to either make reads or go for level 3, which considering he has the lowest meter gain, isnt a good thing.

Radec suffers from not walling well enough to keep people from getting up close, and then having a bad melee game. He also has no good match ups (this is a match up list made by a top radec player, liquid: http://oi50.tinypic.com/33yrry1.jpg its not the prettiest image in the world but yeah ;p) and just cant keep people out due to the fact that all his guns have long cooldowns and/or are too slow. He also has no confirms into his level one, and his only confirm into level 2 requires him to melee.

I should mention though, in 2v2, Jak is top of Mid Tier, and Radec is Middle of Mid Tier. And just because Radec is used online doesnt mean hes good, he just has an easy to abuse sniper against lower level players, its kind of like Link in Smash, hes used a ton because he has a lot of fans, even though hes not that good himself. If you want some top players for those characters to confirm what Ive said or even just more opinions on the fact, Id suggest you go to http://www.playstationallstarsarena.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2 and ask there, as its easily the best, and highest level forum there is right now. And while theres no official tier list, Id say this is a good example of where characters are (although Emmett is actually more bottom of C Tier now): http://www.playstationallstarsarena.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=560&start=398#.UTf61Rz_mSq and if you read the responses you can see its heavily agreed on, even by LizardHeart, arguably the best player there is that has won 90% of all online tournaments hes attended (he usually plays Dabuz in the finals and wins).

EDIT: This is exactly what I talking about: http://www.playstationallstarsarena.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1006#.UTgItRz_mSo

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Recently, it's more like 20% of the tourneys Lizard wins when we both enter, since I've been beating him or beating the players he loses to lately. He's still by far the second best player ATM and dominates everything I don't enter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nerf Kratos's AP gain and give Heichi something to work with.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Wave Concusser no longer hits behind Jak?
Well that's no fun.
Thankfully the rest of the improvements are fine. Faster but less AP Blaster will be a bit odd at first.

Clearer to see EWGF is a good thing, too.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
"Parappa
--- Stand Forward Square does not push the victim as far away, allowing Parappa to follow up with more attacks"

If this makes it so I can combo into his level one, i'm getting back into this game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I actually like the super system, and most people who actually gave it a chance enjoyed it as well. I didnt like the idea at first, but after trying it out, Im a huge fan. And this game is definitely tournament worthy, it just needs more people to play it. There are tournaments for it in my area all the time and we have an active scene that thoroughly enjoys the game.

And the graphics are great lol, especially the stages like San Francisco.
Consider this. Why didn't more people give it a chance?

The game will never be tournament viable because you wont be able to get enough people for a tournament. There is always online I guess.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
They have been around me, and we've already had 3 tournaments with at least 16 people, which is more than Smash lol.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
When I first played this game using Sackboy, since I only recognized him, i didn't like the game.

Then the second time i played at my friends, I branched out to more characters.

Now I use Nariko, Kat, and Evil Cole!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyway about the new characters.

Zeus's Charge and hyper armor gimmicks are impressive at first but at the en of the day I prefer Isaac Clarke's versatility. Plus Isaac has nut of steel in both cutscenes.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Isaac has a gun loop and is currently considered a top tier because of it. Zeus atm is considered a solid Mid due to his lack of confirms and the fact that with his mobility and lack of safe pressure options he has a hard time getting in. Best Zeus imo is Vin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHjFU9jMQg

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
They have been around me, and we've already had 3 tournaments with at least 16 people, which is more than Smash lol.
16 people is really small. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a close knit group.

It goes back to this: popular game make competitive community. That's nice your having tournaments, but I'd doubt you'd be able to get large scale ones.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol, dude, im from utah. We have small scenes for everything because our state is spread out. For example, last night we had a tournament. Smash got 14 people, PSA got 19. Didnt have enough for melee.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Lol, dude, im from utah. We have small scenes for everything because our state is spread out. For example, last night we had a tournament. Smash got 14 people, PSA got 19. Didnt have enough for melee.
Not sure how 19 is any better. Still VERY small. You may have had a group there, but it's not indicative of the rest of the country.

Looking though Google, there are no results for Tampa, Orlando, or Miami tournaments (all big cities). However, no problem finding it for Street Fighter. The one thread I found about tournaments had maybe 10 people in it.

The point I was making is that the game flopped because it isn't good. This is going to hamper it's tournament presence as fewer people have the game. It seems people are making more online tournaments, so there is that.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
No, smash is a better game which I objectively like more. But it's also a 5 year old game, PSASBR is relatively new which makes it more fun ATM.

Top Bottom