• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Donkey Kong in Tournament

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
My name is Ak aka Africa aka Ak-47 aka theultimodragon, and I felt like writing.

This is kind of like an informational, blog-like post. I don't feel I'm the best DK, but if I had more than a couple tournament's worth of experience, I feel I could be even with Bum.

I went there. Ask people who have played me in PA/NJ, I would think they'd say my DK is legit.

So you're at your first tournament, or you're a seasoned regular. Cool beans.

One thing to realize is your position at the tournament. Analyzing what can you achieve and what can't you achieve will make your victories and defeats vary to a large degree. As a DK player, I know the following facts:

-We live till at least 150% every stock.
-We have great range and few other characters can match us on kill %s. DK can kill around 85-90%.
-As long as we're on the screen, level or higher above the edges of the stage, we'll make it back
-Super armor on 2 moves
-bair is our wop
-3 Spikes

Unfortunately for us:
-Extending our hurtboxes opens DK up for trading unnecessary damage
-Tip of head and bottoms of feet poke through shield, lowering our defensive options
-Massive frame means DK gets hit by everything.
-No projectile.
-Recovery is extremely predictable and punishable. (no hitbox above or below, can be caped.)

Of course you can get more in-depth than that, but those are pretty important, and should commit those to memory.

One of the best things you can do at a tournament is play friendlies against people you don't normally play. If it's a character that DK has an advantage on, woo, good for you. You won't have to worry. It's even better if it's a character that you don't normally play well against, whether it be a top-tier character like Diddy or a lesser-played character like Ganondorf.

Your goal: Be able to adapt to all your matchups without counterpicking as possible. Dedede is the exception to this goal, as it is HIGHLY advised to pick a secondary just for this matchup. It's unwinnable if you get grabbed and the standing/small-step infinite is not banned. Other than that matchup, DK can hold his own, and doesn't have any glaring, game-breaking weaknesses.

Good secondaries include: Falco, Snake, etc. Experiment with characters that compliment your playstyle!

When you get to playing a tourney match, size up your opponents--see what they like to do when they play friendlies. Analyze any tactics and strategies they do, like:

Whether they are grab-happy
Do they shield a lot
Do they side step a lot
Really campy
Really aggressive (lol brawl)
A planker
A trash talker
If they mash their controller a lot when grabbed or not at all

...And the list can go on forever. Knowing these properties can make a match much more relaxing. The last strategy can let you know whether they are susceptible to cargo stage spikes. I don't know about you Mr./Ms. Reader, but when I play someone new for the first time, my heart races and the tension mounts. These happenings can throw off the rhythm you try to establish early on in the match. It can cost you dearly.

Stage selection is key as well. Pick large stages. Don't fear FD with diddy. Just jump and charge and go for the sakurai combo.

Pick stages with water. Water spikes rule. DK=Michael Phelps. Side Taunt will shake off any excess fluids.

Avoid/Ban walkoffs/moving stages.

If your opponent is doing something gay, make a scene. I'm serious. It freaks them out and the pressure can make em mess up!

If you win your match, congratulations! Realize that if the match was close, you'll have to mix up your tactics to keep your opponent on your toes.

If you lose your match, it's okay. Analyze what you were falling victim to and how you can counter it. How can you punish? What moves are safe to approach and follow-up with?

Eat before your matches. Get pumped up. Eat a banana. Bless the rains down in Africa. You're playing an amazing character who likes to give Olimar the business. You prey upon princesses and have beef with plumbers.

The most important thing is to have fun. Sure it may take you a while to win money, or you may not win anything. Think of the money you're paying as invaluable experience. It's a crazy wake up call when you get 2 stocked by Ganondorf or a Ness, or even Ike. There are many smashers I want to play against that I feel I would do really well against. I'd love to play Ally and Anther. Those are just a couple people out of a list of dozens.

If you can't afford big tournaments, then you can go to biweeklys or monthlys for much cheaper, usually.

Work up your experience and you can sometimes defy matchups, regardless of tier placement. The impossible (except for Dedede) can be come reality. I suck at tournament matches still, but this information has drastically improved my DK and I hope it can do the same for people who are playing DK (or any character you main) in tournament. Thanks for reading.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
isn't this true for every character? except for the DDD and eating bananas part

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Just because of this thread, I'm going to start eating bananas and doing rain dances in the direction of Africa before I start each tournament set.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
it can be for any character but this is pretty DK specific. It's for people who don't go to tournaments often or don't feel like posting.

Just wanted to contribute.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Just because of this thread, I'm going to start eating bananas and doing rain dances in the direction of Africa before I start each tournament set.
Bananas actually have a energy driving force that will help you focus and concentrate on the tasks you're doing if you eat it before a match, maybe fifteen minutes before (it digests fast). A certain vitamin, I don't know which. But take that quote seriously about eating a banana.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Good stuff man. I'll take this into account next time I'm playing competitively.

And isn't it the Potassium in bananas that does that? Or is it vitamin D? I forget...

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Good stuff man. I'll take this into account next time I'm playing competitively.

And isn't it the Potassium in bananas that does that? Or is it vitamin D? I forget...
I'm actually pretty sure it's neither of those. After he said that about bananas I decided to look it up, and both of those, at least from what the results say, mainly help your bones (although I do know that Vitamin D helps your immune system as well, so it may not say everything).

I'm actually pretty sure it's Vitamin B6 which, when looking at the nutritional facts on bananas, would explain why a single banana can cause heightened concentration if this is the Vitamin that does it. One banana gives somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of your daily value for that specific vitamin. That's a ****load to get from something so small that isn't a vitamin itself.

Thanks for that info Beef. Now I really will be eating bananas before my sets. :laugh:

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
of course bananas are good for your brain. how do u think we evolved from monkeys? ;o

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
2bairs1jump
your still going on about that lol. ill make sure to stop by the market and buy a basket of bananas and have some with the fellow DK's before tournaments start. i just hope it doesnt increase the diddy population down here lol.

crifer

Smash Lord
yeah it should be vitamin B6, but also be the fast delivered energy,
I don´t know what it´s called n english, I think carbohydrates,
and you should not forget that bananas have a good amount of protein,
which helps you to keep your muscles "fresh",
I know this stuff, cause of bodybuilding (I hate that word)

crifer

Smash Lord
hmmm, I don´t think so.
I´m only 1,74 meter large, so I´m not large enough,
but the rest seems to be fine ;-)
I would say I´m pretty good trained.
I´m thinking about making a trainer license, in order to have something as a backup money source while studying at the university.

D0N

Smash Ace
Yea a friend showed me that. Its posted on the wolf boards as the answer to chaingrabs too lol. I wish I could have been there to see that match, if I was Hylian I would have lost just from laughing :laugh:

Top Bottom