• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players can no longer taunt online, maybe at least with randoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Game is apparently live, somebody with a digital copy should test, also test what happens with Kirby. The gamexplain stream couldn't taunt, and apparently Zero couldn't either?
Must be live only for EST time because i still cant play.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
This change feels really dumb and just annoys me. Anyone thinking this is a good idea or improvement don't know much cause tea bagging will simply replace taunting after kills and friendly team up engagements. Seriously in Brawl all I had to do was go Zelda and crouch spam at pretty much any sword boy and he'd be my loyal guardian till seperated. Taunts weren't needed. Yes I did do that some cause why not? Ain't serious business on there. And when you did go serious mode people would switch to Meta Knight when they started losing anyways. (and I guess Bayo for 4)

In the current era I probably would be less inclined to join in "taunt parties" or the like and play mostly for smashing, but this change makes it simply appealing to showcase removing taunts ain't going to fix anything if a ZSS or Zelda start crouching all over the place. Somebody will take it upon themselves to role play their lover.

And to be honest, teaming up is fair game in general. If some obviously legions better player is stomping a lobby of people, I wouldn't blame them for taking out the player together. Part of strategy in PvP free for alls is not making yourself the biggest target.

It's something small but dumb overall. Still can't wait to get the game (I ordered physical copy online and delivery ain't for awhile) and will likely love it. But still such a weird and dumb change.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I hope they change this. Adding too much kid-friendly things will just make things worse.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If the game would kick you out of the online match for taunting excessively, they shouldn't have to remove taunts. They might as well disable crouching too since that's what people would sub for taunts and teabagging is way more inappropriate than every taunt in the game.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
If the game would kick you out of the online match for taunting excessively, they shouldn't have to remove taunts. They might as well disable crouching too since that's what people would sub for taunts and teabagging is way more inappropriate than every taunt in the game.
Only if picking Bayonetta, Metaknight, or whoever is the new god tier character this time around gets you kicked as well.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I played 5 matches so far and couldnt taunt in any as kirby.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Did 6 matches and couldn't taunt... goddamn it. Who decided on this? They better change it.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for :ultluigi:. Now I know a lot of people are going to be pissed that this guy can't down taunt kill near the ledge.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Wait taunts are gone from online? Way to nerf :ultgreninja: again. Oh yes, :ultluigi: and :ultkirby: too.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I heard most people (kids mostly) got seriously offended from being taunted at during matches.
If true it isn't a surprise, considering the state of kids these days...
anyways it won't ruin the game for me, but still sad to see something part of the game restricted like that.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Incineroar is looking to be the Online warrior for those who enjoy the dynamic of mockery and the psychological component it added to a match... are we able to cancel taunts in ultimate? I forgot, but it's a shame we can't take advantage of that in a match.

The "only" reason they removed it, is to make sure taunt "matches" (where everyone just taunts the entire time) stuff online doesn't happen.
Policing players before was just stupid so preemptively making sure that it just isn't possible is probably for the best for report happy rubes.

shame people can't have "fun" the way they want but meh, it is what it is.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
This really seems odd to me. Taunting is actually a part of some of the cast's move-set. Kirby really comes to mind, but there are others, and why even limit people in such a conservative way? Smash 4 did a good job of rooting out taunt parties with the taunt limit, and now we have even stricter rules to snuff taunt parties (the idle thing).

It just feels off; taunts are a fun feature, and guess what? People are going to find new ways to do it anyway by just teabagging people instead. Is that what Nintendo wants? Forgo taunts which are unique and actually took work in favour of a player mashing down on the stick instead? Lol

EDIT: Tested: Kirby CANNOT taunt online either.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Kirby can't taunt but can he remove his power? Can somebody please test this.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Kirby can't taunt but can he remove his power? Can somebody please test this.
Seen a kirby player do it a few matches ago. Yes u can taunt out of the inhaled abilities. You can relax now, lol

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Does this apply to Wario's bike taunt? In Smash 4 that taunt wasn't limited in use like all of the other ones so you could spam it non-stop. I wonder if it being a part of Wario's side-B means you can technically still use it.

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
Ugh I had a feeling the online was going to be like this. Inb4 bans for crouching too much or crouch limits are introduced.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If they removed taunting from online because of kids getting offended, then why have taunts in the game at all?

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
teabagging still exists, if taunting against randoms matters to you that much

anyone who taunts a random is kind of an ***hole though.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
It's one of the few interactions we can have with online players, since we can't chat or anything. Well, petitions must be done! For this, and for adding some default modes on the search for matches, and allowing to search with a friend without neeeding to be in an arena.

Last edited:

Syllers

Smash Rookie
I'll miss being able to wave to the opponent with Zelda at the beginning of the match.
Oh well.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Random Tripping was definitely worse but not being able to taunt is pretty stupid too. I guess they are afraid that kiddies who take themselves too seriously get offended by taunts. Maybe they are right though, people do get offended easily these days, as I am sure Nintendo knows after their G&W feather fiasco.

I sometimes used my taunt in FG to bait the opponent which is hilarious when it works.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yep, political correctness has gone mad. Everyone has something that offends them. And that is why Nintendo has to ignore the people who are easily offended because how can they work if everything they do would upset someone? The left-wing SJWs are more racist than the people they accuse of being racist. If someone hates taunts, they don't have to use them. If they don't like other people taunting at them, then they don't have to go online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom