• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Placed 7th (of 42) in the SHUFFL V National Tournament with Zelda

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I feel pretty amazing, I ended up getting put out by a Lucario, actually. I SD'd once in both matches, and he 2-0'd me.

I wasn't salty, knowing I got that far against talented players that traveled from all over (even one from Canada, about an 8 hour drive) made me feel Zelda definitely has potential.

My matches were:

Bracket: First Match - Zelda vs. Rosalina - in this match I basically got dumpstered. I had never fought a Rosalina before, and customs were ON. I didn't know this before hand, so I had nothing prepared for Zelda and used her original moveset. The Rosalina used her special that makes Luma "appear" without charging it, so I didn't know the match up and lost, which put me into losers. (0 - 2)

Losers Bracket: First Match: Zelda vs. Lucario
This match was actually very easy for me, and I didn't think the player I faced was very prepared I guess. It was close, because his Aura is strong and I didn't realize his recovery was also an attack, but I ended up getting well timed teleport kills when he would throw the ball. (2 - 0)

Losers Bracket: Second Match: Zelda vs. Falcon
This match was pretty easy for me. I spammed Nair, and I usally got him easily. I was able to use the down throw > nair > bair combo about 3 times in the match. Instantly got him 42%. (2 - 0)

Losers Bracket: Third Match: Zelda vs. Zero Suit Samus
I ended up winning the first two matches, so I moved on, but she was a little difficult. She spammed her laser, and if I dodged, or shielded, she came back with a grab and usually it worked. By the second match I had caught on to this trick, and just dodged twice in a row or rolled forward after spot dodging, and grabbed her on the end lag. (2-0)

Losers Bracket: Fourth Match: Zelda/Peach vs. Shulk

This Shulk had a million customs on for sure, I had no IDEA what he was doing, but he was spamming his Down B constantly, so I went for grabs a lot. The sad thing is he was smart about my Farore's Wind, which as a I progressed, became more predictable. I stopped using it a lot to mix things up, but he was constantly catching me on my end lag. It was a close match, but I lost it, and I felt more confident switching to Peach, and ended up winning both matches (the final kill of the final match was with the idle parasol, and it was hilarious) but I won't go into detail about that. (2-1)

Losers Bracket: Fifth Match: Zelda vs. Lucario
Since I did excedingly well against my first Lucario, I figured I would do well against this one, and unfortunately, he 2-0'd me. I killed myself due to bad analog placement (I guess) during teleporting, and was killed at VERY early percents once in BOTH matches. I really wasn't able to just kill him. I couldn't get in long enough to even dtilt. Grabs were effective, but he was able to have insane reach with his forward B, and pivot titled a lot with it. The first match I feel like I would have had in the bag if I hadn't killed myself, but you make mistakes.

Anyway, I'm not trying to brag or anything (I obviously didn't win) but I wanted to share my experience with you all and let you know most players I talked to felt Zelda was really high on the tier list and had insane power.

I am definitely going to enter more 3DS/Wii U tournaments for sure.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
G***!!!!! Also vs Rosalina, some tips- always look for an opening to punish her whiffed attacks or when she launches Luma with warp if she's grounded. This helps Zelda get in on her and score some free damage. But that's wonderful! Good job!!!!

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Good stuff! And yeah, I can't really give you any MU tips yet. It's already enough trying to use the 3DS, trying to get used to the default moves, and then customs on top of that? I would have been more lost than you for sure. If customs are going to be legal long term, I think we should incorporate a section for customs in every MU discussion we have, and how to deal with them. That way we're not at complete loss at what to expect.

Any videos/replays that you managed to snag? Congrats (:

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Fuj don't be hatin. I can sympathize in your frustration using Zelda on the 3DS, but lets not discourage others who are giving some degree of effort.

7/42 is definitely not a bad start, and yes, I know region is relevant, but considering this game is still new and all, a strong start leaves room for encouragement, and future improvement. Things will get tougher for Zelda as the players improve with the other characters, so it's important to keep it up, so we don't fall too far behind.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I remember these results lol, but thanks for bringing them up again... good times. Why am I getting nostalgic all the sudden... Fuj please stop ;-;

It does give us a reference for comparison, but those were Brawl results. This is Smash 4. Those results were with Zelda being a low tier character. We don't know yet where she'll stand among the tier list for this game yet, but if we keep losing people to represent her, I can guarantee you we'll just end up like we were in the Brawl days: another low tier forum of resentful Zelda mains and like only 3 people giving her any representation in tournies.

Are we gonna keep putting her down, or are we going to stand together? If we drift away from the character, okay, that's our own choice, but lets not drag the others down with us.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I never said she won't be low tier in Smash 4. Don't put words in my mouth. I can't take tier lists seriously right now anyway. Especially with these supposed 'patches' I've been hearing of lately. Fuj, maybe they'll patch Zelda up for the better :p

Or nerf her Up B. Oh goddess noes...

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
If they get rid of Palutena's "infinite" Lightweight "glitch" I will be really sad ;_;

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
If they get rid of Palutena's "infinite" Lightweight "glitch" I will be really sad ;_;
Come again? Infinite lightweight? Tell all.

Also, he gone! That seemed to be a quick ban. Someone was looking in.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You realize that I never ever argued that offensive Faores was a thing for Zelda, right? You simply look over dramatic and close minded by insisting on irrelevant details as your counterpoint.

If you want to undervalue one of the best mobility and punish tools in the game, well frankly, it sucks to be you. A lot of the cast can't get back to neutral or KO as easily as Zelda in a game where footsies are mostly homogenized and traps are the meta. It matters a lot less that Zelda is slightly below average in mid range when virtually nobody can confirm a KO setup on her with any reliability except game breaking fast characters.

Oh he's gone anyway. Either way, Zelda's recovery and escape is mad good, and combined with high reward on hit, that is the reason to play her. If anything, she is a fairly designed character this game. Unlike Sonic or Pikachu who are blatantly cancerous.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
You realize that I never ever argued that offensive Faores was a thing for Zelda, right? You simply look over dramatic and close minded by insisting on irrelevant details as your counterpoint.

If you want to undervalue one of the best mobility and punish tools in the game, well frankly, it sucks to be you. A lot of the cast can't get back to neutral or KO as easily as Zelda in a game where footsies are mostly homogenized and traps are the meta. It matters a lot less that Zelda is slightly below average in mid range when virtually nobody can confirm a KO setup on her with any reliability except game breaking fast characters.

Oh he's gone anyway. Either way, Zelda's recovery and escape is mad good, and combined with high reward on hit, that is the reason to play her. If anything, she is a fairly designed character this game. Unlike Sonic or Pikachu who are blatantly cancerous.
Yeah, a Sonic player beat me in Pools, and not to sound salty, but just would run to one side of the stage and then Spin dash at me. If he missed, he ran to the other side and tried again. I really didn't know what to do against him. I'm pretty sure Nayru's beats it out because of the invincibility frames. But he's just super quick and I didn't know the match up.

Once I started coming back in Losers, I was so worried I would face him I was constantly asking other players for advice and ran friendlies against Sonic so I'd be prepared. In the end I didn't even get far enough to face him, but oh well.

I feel like kicks are going to be a million times easier to land in the Wii U version. I have gameplay footage of when I played the game at best buy in July and I landed two in a row easily. The 3DS circle pad is not a friend for Zelda.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Sonic is BS, and he probably counters Zelda pretty hard. The extent to which he just disrespects the game is just cringe worthy. He just turns the entire game into a guessing game that's almost purely in his favor. When he runs at you, you basically hope he gets pivot grabbed or runs into something like F-smash/Naryus, but both of those have to be timed well and his ability to convert off hits is really good.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Smash 4 Sonic is my least favorite character in the entirety of Smash Bros. I can't imagine a more frustrating character. His voice and the spin dash SE does not help.

Last edited:

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a Sonic player beat me in Pools, and not to sound salty, but just would run to one side of the stage and then Spin dash at me. If he missed, he ran to the other side and tried again. I really didn't know what to do against him. I'm pretty sure Nayru's beats it out because of the invincibility frames. But he's just super quick and I didn't know the match up.
Could you block him with a quick Phantom? And then follow up with something more useful? At least maybe convince him to do something else. Not to say the match would not still totally be in his favor.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
"Like" in brawl lol. Got 4th in the 3ds tourney buddy. Why we no run into each other?! Lmao.

Was the sonic you lost to Meekspeedy? He's great, not even too mad I lost to him.
He's not that great IMO, he just ended up spamming down B. Didn't pull off anything impressive in my honest opinion.

And we might have, but I was knocked down into losers, so you probably stayed in Winners. I might have seen you. I went by "Justy" at the tournament.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
We may have talked Zelda a few times actually. I was the loudest person in the venue with the long hair and beard lol.

I played Meek in WSF and he was pretty impressive in his mixup game I thought. At least I thought because he wasn't all spin dash on me so I couldn't really help us there.

Top Bottom