• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Placed 33rd in Tourney. Yayy, wait... kinda! :0

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
So My second big brawl tournament( first was Centex in san antonio in october ). Hobo 12 ( Houston Official brawl Oredeal, or some **** like that ), and I felt it was time for a realistic, growing link who isn't all powerful to post his results from a major, credible tournament. I suppose technically i placed something like 35th out of 65ish opponents ( doesn't know if that sounds better than 33rd place out of 49 places ).

Anyway this god ****ed tournament was hard as ****, just some of the people there were Sethlon, Santi, Dojo, RoyR, Hylian and Xyro. I was knocked out of the tournament going against pretty much THE ice climbers of texas, melee1. first match i was *****, never went against an ice climbers before and never really thought about his chaingrab until.... well until the second match because those first three stocks went by so fast idk what happened. The first tournament I went to, I really learned about effectively zairing and shffing nair. this tournament I learned A LOT about effective projectile spam. My first match, was against a snake named Ran ( I believe ), they were hard battles and I eventually lost, but he gave me great advice. He said my only real problem is my approach, which though works fine against say my best friend who uses a more than decent falcon, against others who have to get smart with projectiles. I listened, but at the same time I put it towards the back of my mind, I mean could a non-link main no whats better than I? Anyway back to Melee1, second match started. I decided, hell, can't do any worse going with the snakes advice. So in a rush of adrenaline I started trying different bomb arrow and gale tricks than i had before, and much more frequent. to me, the idea was more or less, keep that mother ****er away from me. I got him at about 100 percent than he got me. I put up more fight but still lost the stock. the next two went simmilarly accept nowhere as nicely, getting him to around 130 a;ll together but couldn't knock him out before i lost all stocks. This isn't a "help against IC thread", I just know he was plain better than I was. years of playing smash, being in the smash community, and I have a big sum of around 2 months going for me.

Anyway I wanted to have a thread showing the common link working his *** off and showing some results, i know what I have to work on ( sticking with honing my projectile game , and counterpicking stages ), but for the first time I saw that my hard work was indeed paying off. I am sure some of you think I'm a bum, I probably am, but the houston scene is tough i mean hell last hobo m2k and azen flew down for it, so I know i am slowly getting good. thanks for reading.

hope this thread is allowed...

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Don't worry you'll get better. Trust me, soon you won't be the only Link in a major tourney in Texas (unless you're not the only Link main there). I've only played in small, local tourneys with healthy dose of competition, and this summer I will enter the major tourney scene in Texas. Keep at it, man. Hope to meet you one day, and maybe we can learn from each other.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
I totally thought this thread was mine and someone edited the title. lol.

But hey, you put in a good effort and you are learning with every tourney match. That's what matters the most. I wish I could fight a good Ice Climbers but I'm stuck fighting Snakes and Meta Knights for now. -_-
Good job representing Link in Texas bud! :)

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
@Aerolink - definetly man, I'll be going all over southwest this summer and winter to tourneys so hopefully i'll meet ya. I always learn something from a link main *bows*

@Ardes - yeah the idea just sprang into my mind, i thought it was pretty sharp. anyway i will def. keep with it, link is too gratifying :B

Legan

Smash Lord
Im saving up to take a trip over to Texas for a tournament there. I havent decided which one yet. Ive come across my fair share of Iceys in tourneys and I feel your pain with the chain grabs. The advice dont get grabbed is pretty **** stupid because this is BRAWL and you're going to get grabbed eventually. As you attend more of these tourneys youll inevitably become much much better (Especially seeing that you live in an area with 10X the smash scene that I have access to). Just keep working on keeping a level head during the tournaments and getting in as many friendlies as possible. Gj on placing.

Fino

Smash Master
My only advice against IC's is to bomb spam. I 3-stocked arkive in under a minute with IC's (friendlies though ^_^ bet he was sandbagging until the last stock)... and then a couple days ago at a tournament, he pulled this **** bomb spam that I just couldn't get around.

~Fino

D

Deleted member

yea the only thing you can do against IC's is to spam bombs, even if you don't get to throw the bomb, it'll explode in 5 seconds usually saving your life from cg spikes

and yes i was sandbagging, Fino you've only seen me not sandbag twice in my life lol (MM against Jace & Duck and then at the last tourney i won lol)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Im saving up to take a trip over to Texas for a tournament there. I havent decided which one yet. Ive come across my fair share of Iceys in tourneys and I feel your pain with the chain grabs. The advice dont get grabbed is pretty **** stupid because this is BRAWL and you're going to get grabbed eventually. As you attend more of these tourneys youll inevitably become much much better (Especially seeing that you live in an area with 10X the smash scene that I have access to). Just keep working on keeping a level head during the tournaments and getting in as many friendlies as possible. Gj on placing.
Don't you live in the same state as Ankoku, Samurai Panda, Omniswell, Shaeden, Lain, and Anther?

D

Deleted member

i think legan moved back to missouri, meaning no lol

he was in michigan for a while though >_>

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
anything with 60+ people and making it to brackets with "low tier characters is win

My Falcon recently got 17th at Only in Niagara 80+

it is possible to get good with low tiered characters, it just takes time

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
33 out of around 65?

Lol, I couldn't hope to do that well in the condition I'm in right now. Congratulations, man.
Now I'm a bit iffy about playing you this summer. xD

Yay, finally 100 posts!!!

Swordplay

Smash Lord
No its really sad. Link doesn't have the speed to play a don't get grabbed game. Ice-climbers are just ridiculous. I should know, I play them.

DoctahLink

Smash Rookie
I guess that's awesome, well it's better than me haven't even gone to a tournament .

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Legan - come to HOBO man, pleaseeeee. i will do anything. god ****, pleaseeeeee.

Wafflez - haha thanks man, nah it'll be fun. Hopefully i get better though, i've been training with Sethlon like non-stop since the tournament.

and once more, legan pleaseeeee come to hobo, i will house you, just please. we need a hobo were link wins :p

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
how much would that cost around? I don't know anything about plane ticket pricing. at any rate it would still be awesome. With so many big nSBR names out here, and you being, well you, if they saw you play I am sure they'd atleast think twice about link being so low. I'm not argung about his recovery just...there's no way jiggs is better :@, haha.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Link has potential in rising in the tier list but probably no where near mid. Unless someone discovers some sort of technique that makes his recovery like TLs lol I wish =(

Top Bottom