• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
hmm... I wonder if we should start a new MU thread.

it might be better to wait - since we may be appointed a mod eventually, or maybe the fabled 1.1.6 will drop soon.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
hmm... I wonder if we should start a new MU thread.

it might be better to wait - since we may be appointed a mod eventually, or maybe the fabled 1.1.6 will drop soon.
I've made some calculations regarding 1.1.6 and if it doesn't happen this week, i doubt it'll happen at all. There has been between 1.5 or 2 monthstime between each patch that didn't give a new character and we're stecing that line atm.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I got :4greninja:by nintendo I guess. 1.1.6 confimed. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/axfj/update/index.html

Edit: Double :4greninja::4greninja: by PK-beam.

I'll create a new discussion thread on the 30th of May. This will give us enough time to adept slightly to the patch if it does infact change the meta. Let's hope they fix Up-air.
So you plan on recreating the MU thread? If so that's great to hear!

On the topic of 1.1.6, I'm not so sure that Lucas will get any changes. He hasn't had any game-breaking abilities, and combined with that he's been mostly under the radar (With the exception of Taiheita's recent placing) I doubt that the patch will acknowledge him at all. I won't complain if up-air gets a fix though. I just hope he doesn't get an unwarranted nerf.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
So you plan on recreating the MU thread? If so that's great to hear!

On the topic of 1.1.6, I'm not so sure that Lucas will get any changes. He hasn't had any game-breaking abilities, and combined with that he's been mostly under the radar (With the exception of Taiheita's recent placing) I doubt that the patch will acknowledge him at all. I won't complain if up-air gets a fix though. I just hope he doesn't get an unwarranted nerf.
Yes, but after 1.1.6. There is no use in discussing stuff that might change in the future.
I think/hope RosaLuma and Bayo gets nerfs and all low/mid/mid-high tier characters get some love.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
since they specifically changed Uair from Brawl, they would've had a reason to do so. which indicates to me that the crappy hitbox was on purpose.

actually, I'd like to see Dair get some more range (or allow us to DJ out of FH Dair) before Uair gets changed. or maybe remove the PKT2 bounce when you hit the top of a ledge.

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
The hitting top of the ledge thing seems like an unintended byproduct of specific character design, since they added the bounce off wall -> PKT2, and ledge snap seems to only work from slightly below. I'm not sure how they can effectively patcch that without messing Lucas' ledge magnetism, unless they can somehow code it directly into PKT2...

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
So not 100% confirmed, but this is from a reputable source that has data mined before. (I think it's the same guy who leaked Roy and Ryu) It seems that the new update will include changes to Bayonetta... and Bayonetta only. If this is the case it's safe to say that Bayonetta may have gotten some large changes. Here are screenshots of the leaker's reactions:

https://gyazo.com/4ec0eba3c6345c78079bd383bc5a203a
http://i.imgur.com/V3hYmYI.png

So... thoughts? I know it's not groundbreaking news like a new character, but with this much consideration taken into nerfing Bayonetta it makes me wonder if she'll be as much of a problem.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
doesn't really mean that they'll hit her hard.
possibly 1.1.5 was intended as the last patch, but $5.99 started gaining momentum, and the dev team decided to release one final tweak.

possibly.

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Yeah, she got a MAJOR hit. Not enough to make her unviable but definitely enough so that she is not as huge of a threat. I think this is one patch I can fully agree with, as Bayonetta was warranting a nerf eventually.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It was pretty arguable as to whether Bayo was the best (need I remind everyone that the character with 0-deaths in Brawl was NOT considered the best and was only given 2nd place quite late in the meta's life and with some reservations as to reconciling their theory - OMG ICS SO BORKED - with their results which were actually... Not 2nd) but she was definitely centralising and carried an over-bearing, linear gameplan, not unsimilar to pre-patch luigi. The nerfs are probably good, less for balance and more for the *feeling* of a more balanced game for the majority of mid-level players.

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
It was pretty arguable as to whether Bayo was the best (need I remind everyone that the character with 0-deaths in Brawl was NOT considered the best and was only given 2nd place quite late in the meta's life and with some reservations as to reconciling their theory - OMG ICS SO BORKED - with their results which were actually... Not 2nd) but she was definitely centralising and carried an over-bearing, linear gameplan, not unsimilar to pre-patch luigi. The nerfs are probably good, less for balance and more for the *feeling* of a more balanced game for the majority of mid-level players.
I suppose it's just that in comparison to the rest of the cast in Smash 4, Bayonetta was undeniably broken. Sheik was (some consider still currently) a huge threat in the game, but by no means had combos that could not be DI'd out of and could mean a lost stock just by getting hit. With Bayonetta that was the case however; she had many options into death combos and even immaculate smash-DI would not always guarantee you escaping the combo. Brawl IC's I'd argue takes a bit more skill to setup 'wobbling" and can only done on the ground. (Personally I wouldn't compare Brawl to Smash 4 as they have different metas, but I digress) Bayonetta's combos could finish you anywhere, anytime with proper inputs. Perhaps she won't be as nerfed as the overall community wants her to be, but at least there is a bit more of an even playing field.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it's just that in comparison to the rest of the cast in Smash 4, Bayonetta was undeniably broken..
I'll be brutally honest, I might have been in the minority but I wanted a ban on her because she is/was broken. She completely broke the game. I'm usually in the "If you can't beat them, join them" club but I couldn't. She was just to stupid.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I'll be brutally honest, I might have been in the minority but I wanted a ban on her because she is/was broken. She completely broke the game. I'm usually in the "If you can't beat them, join them" club but I couldn't. She was just to stupid.
Don't feel bad man. You clearly were not the only person who considered it and have that opinion. I personally kept telling myself "ADAPT", even though I knew that I was not in a favorable situation.

Guess I'm stuck here. No Zelda buffs. This won't be the only metagame I'm advancing, either. Also looking into Bowser Jr. and might be continuing with Zelda strategies.

abx

Smash Journeyman
It's hardcore. King Dedede still has awkward and glitchy hitboxes on some attacks.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hmm... I fail to see if these two:

and...

... are remixes of the same theme. I mean, they DO sound similar in a way, but I just can't tell whether they're remixes of the same theme or they both come from different songs. I vastly prefer the Melee one, so if they are different, I wonder why they changed it. Can anyone help me figure this out?

The Melee one is only from EarthBound (Mother 2). The newer theme is a VERY sped-up version of the main theme from Mother 1, so it doesn't prefer Ness or Lucas.

Lucas boards never got a mod.
Hey, at least we have Mekos keeping us updated.
Speaking of Mekos Mekos , how was KTAR? Or is it still going on? I didn't go...

EDIT: just checked rankings. John Numbers is eating it up as Wii Fit!

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know you could select your own win-screen but apparently you can, just press Left, Up, or right and hold it while GAME! is in the screen.

Left=Up smash
Up= Poking ground with a stick
Right=Whatever Lucas is doing with his PSI powers.

So now I'm going to change with Lucas's win theme song into this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40. And hold Up-taunt all the time.

Between stick reflecting and absorbing, not many of Mega Man's attacks can even touch Lucas. Look out for Leaf Shield gimps against PK Thunder and short hop Flame Sword, which can put Mega Man at an advantage. His fast fall speed and high weight will allow you to use extensive combos.

As long as you can keep reflecting, it's a pretty Lucas-favorable matchup.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
A smart Megan Man isn't going to use lemons extensively, if at all, and the only other thing you can absorb is the Crash Bomb, which they will absolutely be mixing with Metal Blade and an aerial to put the pressure on. It's not as black-and-white as Lucas curb stomping Megan Man, but it is still in his favour. Also, if they're going to do something out of a short hop alone, it's going to be Slash Claw, not Flame Sword. The latter should only be used by them if they want to keep a combo going, not start something.

His defensive capability can be really irritating, though; last time I played one at a weekly, I ended up taking his final stock with, of all things, a side tilt, once he got to over 200%.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Side tilt o_O.
I'm aware of it being in Lucas' favor, just wanted to know of any Megaman exploitations besides absorbing and reflecting.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Hey guys. I haven't been on here in a long time. I still play smash and I still play Lucas. I haven't gone to tournaments in awhile mostly due to the amount of money it costs and not winning any money.
But I might go back to tournaments one day. Anyway I am happy to be back on here with you guys!

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering is there anyway for using PKfreeze safely, ive only been using it for edge gaurding and only as a mix-up, i want to use it more but dont know how to do it safely or is it just a useless move for anything else.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
The best way to find out how to use a move is to use it in every situation and see how your opponents tend to respond. If you can't see any obvious way to use it safely, don't try to. Any unsafe move can be safe if you understand what it does to your opponent mentally.

To put it another way, Freeze is big and obvious and dangerous to your opponent, and they know it, and they can see it coming. Nobody is going to just let themselves get hit by it: they'll shield it, or they'll airdodge, or they'll try to run away from it (typically towards you). Subsequently, Freeze does a lot of shield damage, explodes at your discretion, and has godlike endlag.

Use it at low percentages out of a down throw and see what I mean.

Top Bottom