• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
The best way to find out how to use a move is to use it in every situation and see how your opponents tend to respond. If you can't see any obvious way to use it safely, don't try to. Any unsafe move can be safe if you understand what it does to your opponent mentally.

To put it another way, Freeze is big and obvious and dangerous to your opponent, and they know it, and they can see it coming. Nobody is going to just let themselves get hit by it: they'll shield it, or they'll airdodge, or they'll try to run away from it (typically towards you). Subsequently, Freeze does a lot of shield damage, explodes at your discretion, and has godlike endlag.

Use it at low percentages out of a down throw and see what I mean.
ok thx ill try to use it in more situations to see what happen and what ill think about it.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6-mldGJog

So this is a thing.
For the people who haven't seen it yet in boils down to this: If you hit your opponent with a move that sends your opponent vertically and they have 100% or more after the hit, they have a 25% chance of spinning towards the stage. During this spinning state you CANNOT TECH!

Seeing as we have Up-smash I've done some testing.

On mario hitting with sour-fair, sour B-air and Z-air does trigger this state but Mario can always jump. Tested it on heavyweights as well but no dice.
Hitting sour-f-tilt triggers this state but it doesn't combo into Up-smash directly. I wasn't able to jab-lock with D-tilt but sweet spot dash attack is a true combo and can kill near the ledge.
Hitting only the last hit of D-air can trigger this state and will true combo into up-smash. Hitting more than just the last hit can trigger this state as well however, they instantly get bounced back up without that much lag making it kinda pointless.

And that's it really, it isn't that useful for us unfortunately. Having D-air into guaranteed up-smash 25% of the time is fun i guess?

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6-mldGJog

So this is a thing.
For the people who haven't seen it yet in boils down to this: If you hit your opponent with a move that sends your opponent vertically and they have 100% or more after the hit, they have a 25% chance of spinning towards the stage. During this spinning state you CANNOT TECH!

Seeing as we have Up-smash I've done some testing.

On mario hitting with sour-fair, sour B-air and Z-air does trigger this state but Mario can always jump. Tested it on heavyweights as well but no dice.
Hitting sour-f-tilt triggers this state but it doesn't combo into Up-smash directly. I wasn't able to jab-lock with D-tilt but sweet spot dash attack is a true combo and can kill near the ledge.
Hitting only the last hit of D-air can trigger this state and will true combo into up-smash. Hitting more than just the last hit can trigger this state as well however, they instantly get bounced back up without that much lag making it kinda pointless.

And that's it really, it isn't that useful for us unfortunately. Having D-air into guaranteed up-smash 25% of the time is fun i guess?
yeah i saw it too yesterday, tried some things too but not a thing i could find, and fishing for 25% is not that good, i would rather go for down throw up air.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
What's good everyone! Hope is well!

My Quick Update
Good news! I just leveled up last Sunday! I know feel comfortable in this game. Before I was relying solely on basic smash fundamentals.:)

Sorry I've slowed down with YT vids. Now that my health is returning I am back at work (an 8 to 5). I do stream every Thursday at 8pm EST time tho. We lately have been talking about Lucas matchups and having a lot of fun with viewer battles. Come hang if you time. Last week we talked about the shiek, sonic, and diddy matchup. Tomorrow we are talking about the Rosa, Bayo, and Marth matchup.

Not going to EVO anymore but I'm still going to Smash Con. If any of you all are going to EVO I will be cheering for u!

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
What's good everyone! Hope is well!

My Quick Update
Good news! I just leveled up last Sunday! I know feel comfortable in this game. Before I was relying solely on basic smash fundamentals.:)

Sorry I've slowed down with YT vids. Now that my health is returning I am back at work (an 8 to 5). I do stream every Thursday at 8pm EST time tho. We lately have been talking about Lucas matchups and having a lot of fun with viewer battles. Come hang if you time. Last week we talked about the shiek, sonic, and diddy matchup. Tomorrow we are talking about the Rosa, Bayo, and Marth matchup.

Not going to EVO anymore but I'm still going to Smash Con. If any of you all are going to EVO I will be cheering for u!
Can you tell me how you leveled up, i dont understand what you mean.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Does anyone else abuse up smash, or is it just me? And yes, "abuse" is the correct word. I played KuroganeHammer over the weekend. He seemed surprised and, shortly afterwards, annoyed at the invincible startup, and how many times I ate his moves with it.

I also got to play and talk with Foxy (Fox is Openly Deceptive). He mentioned he'd look into the status of mods on this board after looking at it and confirming that he would have deleted like 90% of the threads that have been made here.

Also also, Foxy is as much of a lab monster as he seems. He looked at the numbers on Lucas' frame data and correctly theorised aerial options for him that I hadn't thought of or seen from other players at all without either of us needing to actually test them in-game. Absolute beast.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've actually spent quite some time thinking about using the invincibility on Usmash to punish stuff more - it's just because moves rarely come along that aren't too fast to be reacted to with said timed invincibility you have to predict it so I've been struggling to find a good use for it. I mis-input Usmash a lot though and I love the move in general. :p

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
The secret is to not try to predict anything, use it with wild abandon in friendlies for a week, get punished hard, and develop the beginnings of an instinct for it. If you eat a grab with it, you will especially annoy your opponent.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I've started abusing Up-smash for multihitting moves. Especially when I notice people always finishing jabs. Nothing says:" I'm better than you, go home!" more than JCUp-smashing through a jab 3.

He looked at the numbers on Lucas' frame data and correctly theorised aerial options for him that I hadn't thought of or seen from other players at all without either of us needing to actually test them in-game. Absolute beast.
Sooooo, what are those aerial options?

Last edited:

Shollyboster

Dead Memes and Broken Dreams
NNID
112345brian
I've started abusing Up-smash for multihitting moves. Especially when I notice people always finishing jabs. Nothing says:" I'm better than you, go home!" more than JCUp-smashing through a jab 3.

Sooooo, what are those aerial options?
Bumping for the aeriel options

Shollyboster

NNID
112345brian
yeah i saw it too yesterday, tried some things too but not a thing i could find, and fishing for 25% is not that good, i would rather go for down throw up air.
"Down throw up air" They call that the "DEAD MOM"

Shollyboster

NNID
112345brian
It came from Smash at Xanadu. Some dude said it, it might have been TK Breezy.

Shollyboster

NNID
112345brian
well actually if you do down air above 100% and you get the lucky 25% you can do Fsmash for a kill, it has to be around an edge though.
Getting the meteor on the dair is already super unreliable. Not worth it.

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
I don't care about what anyone says
Dead Mom is best name BECAUSE it's the worst

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I wish D-smash could still connect with all 3 hits. I miss being able to do 50+ damage to guys stuck under me as I move along the Smashville platform

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Basically the new skype. Works as an app or you can just have it on browser. Every character board has one now. Happy to send you the link to the Lucas Discord if you so desire (the links expire after some time so make sure to click it once you see it. :p ).

It's ridiculously active there, which is why it's semi-dead here. :p

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
Basically the new skype. Works as an app or you can just have it on browser. Every character board has one now. Happy to send you the link to the Lucas Discord if you so desire (the links expire after some time so make sure to click it once you see it. :p ).

It's ridiculously active there, which is why it's semi-dead here. :p
ok but i dont see a link.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
ive got something good for you people in a few days, look at the character forum in a few days and youll see, it maybe already exists on the discord but i dont know.

Top Bottom