• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Mekos Mekos Are you in the Lucas discord, by chance? Really appreciate the content you put out, but these boards are hilariously dead. You'd get a lot more exposure over there.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Mekos Mekos Are you in the Lucas discord, by chance? Really appreciate the content you put out, but these boards are hilariously dead. You'd get a lot more exposure over there.
Yeah, joining and sharing in the Lucas Discord would probably get you a good amount of exposure compared to SmashBoards. (unfortunately) It's just really weird how the Lucas forum suddenly picks up, then goes back to sleep as topics die down.

I don't think this topic has been brought up recently, but what are peoples' opinions on Mother 3 being possibly localized? I really love the game, but so far we've only heard rumors and speculation that it might be plausible. I've personally played through the entirety of Mother 3 on an emulator, and I have a working Japanese cartridge. But trying to play through that would be pretty hard considering I know very little Japanese. Anyways, just thought I would try and get this forum moving in some manner. Either way, I hope you all have a fantastic day! :b:

Last edited:

abx

Smash Journeyman
I have mixed feelings about discord. It's a pain to read past conversations and this sucks double if you don't share the majority's time zone. And it basically doesn't do much more than the forums already do, except voice chat, that's probably very cool.

Mekos Mekos : I noticed in your last vid that you don't follow up UTilt even at low percents. Is it unsafe? I'm not used to competitive gameplay level, true, but I usually successfully apply a NAir in most MUs (including Ryu) which leads to pretty much everything.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Thing is, the forums are dead as a rock. Discord is hopping with conversations every day, so that's the place to be for Lucas discussion.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I enjoy using a forum because it's better organised and can easily be referred to retrospectively both in the long and short terms.
It's a bit worrying because it might stunt the meta a bit, especially for some less popular characters.

But we still don't have a mod yet, so who can blame anyone for moving to Discord?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Give
I have mixed feelings about discord. It's a pain to read past conversations and this sucks double if you don't share the majority's time zone. And it basically doesn't do much more than the forums already do, except voice chat, that's probably very cool.

Mekos Mekos : I noticed in your last vid that you don't follow up UTilt even at low percents. Is it unsafe? I'm not used to competitive gameplay level, true, but I usually successfully apply a NAir in most MUs (including Ryu) which leads to pretty much everything.
?? Give me an example. Like a time on a video and I can explain what I was doing.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Up tilt only combos into up tilt, and only at the lowest of low percents. After that, almost anyone who's trying will either jump away or try to muscle out of the hit sequence. Especially against Ryu, and especially especially after he got hit for trying to do a direct follow-up in the first example, it's more beneficial to just move away and hit with Fire. It tacks on solid damage, is safe, eats through Focus Attack, and pushes the opponent away. Against Ryu, that all comes together to make an unfathomably irritating tool to deal with.

With the right read, and against some characters or players, you can get other hits in or shield an airdodge or aerial to keep things going, but Lucas gets damage with a million tiny hits, most of which are easily contested or punished for whiffing, and against a character that can make up that difference and then some in two hits, as well as KO at very early percents with a low-risk move, that's in no way worth trying.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Up-tilt only combo's into jab at 0%.
Even Up-tilt x2 is dodgeable but usually it works because people rarely airdodge to the ground after an Up-air.

I don't like Discord. It's basically a whats-applike forum. Unless people are in the same time-zone conversations are lost. IMO Discord wouldn't be a thing if we had a mod during the slight revival we had.

It's becoming kinda sad imo, we know there are multiple people willing to mod why not pick two to split the burden so we can at least try and make this board active again?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
One of two examples is at 5:38 onward, though it's most probably explained by Ryu's superfast aerial. But from what I can see, you weren't going for a follow-up anyway.

https://youtu.be/Cy5PKjOlMCU?t=338

The second example is clearer, starting from 7:30. from my understanding following up with nair would work.

https://youtu.be/Cy5PKjOlMCU?t=450

Thanks in advance!
Gotcha! Yea bro that is high level play stuff. It's hard to explain but both of us are thinking like to steps ahead and trying to read each other. I'm not going for the most basic option. So a lot of things you see me do may not make sense but I'm choosing my options based on reads.

Also note that nair has very little priority and isn't very safe.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I actually prefer forums as well, but it seems like Smashboards as a whole is kinda dying and there's not much that can be done about it :/

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Yup, that's me. I got 5th at that tournament. :)
Didn't knew they could upload it because they had a windows 10 crash completely destroying the twitch backlog.

PS. Can't believe you found that match before I did because I'm subscribed to that channel. >.<

I actually prefer forums as well, but it seems like Smashboards as a whole is kinda dying and there's not much that can be done about it :/
Having a board with high quality and easy to find information and having a weekly discussion led by a mod would help. >.<

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Your last few videos have been really loud with your commentary. As in you sound like you're deliberately speaking loudly half of the time, bordering on yelling.

Hey, I'm swapping mains from Zelda to Lucas until Zelda gets some sort of buff. (Which may not happen, looking at how things have been going lately.)
So, introduction post. I'm a TO, but I'm not tournament-level good. I hop around periodicaly between characters in an attempt to advance their metagames. Now I choose Lucas, because there is no way this kid is not at least a high tier yet. Also, he conforms well to my rounded approach at the game.

First off, I have a new extended combo that could boost the meta significantly.
down throw > short dash > full hop back air > fast fall nair
After this chain, you can lock your opponent into almost anything except back air, dash attack, up smash or up air.
The combo is true up to about 45% on most characters, and is fall speed dependent.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
First off, I have a new extended combo that could boost the meta significantly.
down throw > short dash > full hop back air > fast fall nair
After this chain, you can lock your opponent into almost anything except back air, dash attack, up smash or up air.
The combo is true up to about 45% on most characters, and is fall speed dependent.
i don't get the last part (how are you locking somebody at such a low % without a footstool?), but it doesn't sound like anything special. that specific setup would be dependent on DI. I also don't think sweetspot FH Bair is even safe on hit until around 20-30ish% and FF Nair won't lead to anything guaranteed until high %. the damage output doesn't look anything stellar either, as a sweetspot Bair is tied with Nair for 12% while Uair and Dair are at 13/15%.

i mean, it sounds like a nice mixup you might do in FG or friendlies but I don't see how this will substantially contribute to the meta.

welcome to the Lucas boards, btw.

Last edited:

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Yeah, welcome to the Lucas boards... except for the fact that it's pretty much dead. We've preached this to so many other people, but we are currently modless right now. Which makes many things on the forum overall difficult for us. When I was talking to Xiivi he said they'd work on getting the problem solved. That was about 2 months ago. I know getting new moderators is probably a grueling process, but I'd figure we'd have an update by now. Any word on a possible Lucas moderator @Xiivi? It'd be appreciated.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Maybe there's a problem of nobody taking the position?

Anyway, simply having a mod wont boost activity, per se. There are other reasons why people have switched to discord. I'd rather have a mod that's somewhat dedicated to Lucas than one who's only doing it so that we do have a mod.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I do agree with the having the mod being a Lucas main, preferably. But think of how many more threads could be managed and therefore much more active. The main reason we don't use the Matchup thread much is because there is no way to record the information and keep it condensed in a chart; and it's all because we don't have a mod. I'm not saying a mod would indefinitely boost the Lucas forum's activity, but it would to enough capacity that discussion would be more common.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Ouch. I dunno why then. Maybe all the admins are on Discord, heh.
The main reason we don't use the Matchup thread much is because there is no way to record the information and keep it condensed in a chart
I think this is a good example, but we could create a new thread if the old one is inactive.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Hot take: you don't need someone who has been given the illustrious title of moderator to create a new matchup thread or to steer the current one on-track. All you need for good discussion – all you ever need for good, organised discussion — is someone willing to take the initiative to organise it and keep it organised. Take a drink every time someone talks about how the matchup thread needs to be more organised.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Ouch. I dunno why then. Maybe all the admins are on Discord, heh.

I think this is a good example, but we could create a new thread if the old one is inactive.
Hot take: you don't need someone who has been given the illustrious title of moderator to create a new matchup thread or to steer the current one on-track. All you need for good discussion – all you ever need for good, organised discussion — is someone willing to take the initiative to organise it and keep it organised. Take a drink every time someone talks about how the matchup thread needs to be more organised.
I suppose you both bring up good points. I might just do that. Though I still have other responsibilities to take care of outside Smash (granted they're not stressful, but still important) and I couldn't always be active. That's what makes myself hesitant. At least with the coming Summer break it could be easier to manage. In a day or two I'll probably reboot the thread by creating a new one. Or if anyone else thinks they could better uphold the responsibility, go for it. If nobody comes forward, I guess somebody has to try and bring this forum back to life. :251:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
On a slightly different note, kudos to Luco Luco for using Lucas in the crew battles at BAM8. Sucks that you had to go up against Jezmo, of all people, though, but kudos all the same.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
On a slightly different note, kudos to Luco Luco for using Lucas in the crew battles at BAM8. Sucks that you had to go up against Jezmo, of all people, though, but kudos all the same.
He is at BAM8? I was just watching that earlier this morning before I headed off to school! I must've missed him. :ohwell: (Depending on when the crew battle happened) Either way, good job Luco Luco ! You're a respectable Lucas main for sure! :b:

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Lol we should go to discord if they don't do something I'm already there it's a pretty chill place everyone's nice there and it's really organized I gave up on this forum it's shouldn't take this long and as pk beam said it won't exactly fix everything untill they stop ignoring us or whatever there doing I'm staying on discord

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Lol we should go to discord if they don't do something I'm already there it's a pretty chill place everyone's nice there and it's really organized I gave up on this forum it's shouldn't take this long and as pk beam said it won't exactly fix everything untill they stop ignoring us or whatever there doing I'm staying on discord
Didn't they shut down the Lucas Discord?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Thanks friends!

I brought out Lucas to fight Sheetashi (changed that slightly to avoid the censor lol) which was definitely the right choice, but Ness should have been the one to go against Jezmo. That and my combination of not knowing Diddy got me... 3-stocked, for the first time in my competitive career. :'(

I'm glad you guys are supportive of it though, I had fun anyway! Didn't make it anywhere near as far into bracket as I should've but there's always next time / this August. <3

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
That and my combination of not knowing Diddy got me... 3-stocked, for the first time in my competitive career. :'(
I don't know how well Jez would handle it, but I can last a particularly long time when I get to KO percentages against my local Diddy player by camping the ledge and getting/being very good at not getting hit by his edge guards. Works better if they are also at a KO percentage.

Top Bottom