• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Whatever it is, it's super ambitious to have a game that uses so many different amiibo. And the fact that you don't need them to get the unlock is icing on the cake. I wasn't hyped for Mario Maker at all until E3, but this stuff plus the World Championship finals have me pretty happy with it.

That and M&L: Paper Jam. Good to have another M&L RPG, it seems like I'm the only person who liked Dream Team for what it was (though on replay it holds up less well)
There's is like 80+ Mystery skins in the game! Probably!

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, Shulk main here.
I've been playing Lucas since he released. Just completely nonstop. He's got to be my favorite DLC character so far.
Thing is, I have no freaking idea why I like him so much. I'll play Ness for fun whenever my non competitive friends come over, and I enjoy him well enough. He's not someone I really love playing, though. But I can't put Lucas down! I don't even get it.
I'm completely new to playing his kind of character. I can't put my finger on why I like him so much, especially when on paper it seems like I'd enjoy Ness more, who's a bit better at approaching than Lucas. I mean, Ness has the down throw fair fair thing, the PK fire into grab, back throw kill, a Nair with insane priority... Oh Lord, and that up air. But for some weird reason I'm loving Lucas, and not loving Ness very much. I'm in the middle of Earthbound, I'll play M3 after. x) Maybe it's that Lucas has a tether grab, the way his down air can cover you pretty safe, the way his moves connect... Anyway, that went on a little long.

My questions to you guys, are why do you play Lucas? What makes you (PK) love him?
Also, have any tips for a complete newbie to playing Lucas? Throw strings? I've been downthrowing into nair, which I can follow up with fairs/bairs/uairs if I read DI correctly. Dunno if that's too good though.
Combo strings? What do you do to follow up on a PK Fire? Usually I launch a Freeze. On that note, what do you do after you PK Freeze someone? Usually I have trouble following up on it in time before the ice breaks. Is it just for screwing with their positioning, allowing you to get control of the neutral? Also, LOVING his side smash projectile reflection and down B. My biggest opponent is a competitive Toon Link player, and I have a really hard time approaching him. But by reflecting an arrow or bomb can put him into hitstun, giving me an opening to approach or counter his approach.

Reading rolls with up smashes and up tilts are my favorite thing ever. Everything about his up tilt really.

Sorry this was all convoluter. Tl;dr, Lucas is great. Why do you play him? Tips and tricks?

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Guys, I love Lucas and all, but I just can't deal with his lack of range in close quarters. In every match I've fought, I've been outranged by my opponent, and seem to whiff attacks because his Dtilt, Ftilt, and Fsmash have nearly the same reach, which isn't that great to start off with. I also tend to have trouble grabbing with him (ironically) due to being knocked back too far away when shielding an attack that I intended on punishing. Also, does anyone know any good roll punishes for when they roll behind you? It's like I have to make a read for everything.
I main Zelda, and not once have I ever had any of these problems with her, despite Lucas possibly being better. I miss my reach and easy roll punishes. I really want to do well with him, but it's just not working out so far.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Is anyone else so hopelessly bad with Lucas it's depressing? I put so much hope into him and I'm getting bodied by the CPUs. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. I watched all the videos on him, and nothing seems to work.
To be fair, CPUs have incredibly unfair reaction time that can be a bit frustrating and misleading as far as your skill goes. I don't even bother fighting them. If you could post some of your Lucas gameplay, I'd be happy to see what exactly you're doing wrong.
Tl;dr, Lucas is great. Why do you play him? Tips and tricks?
I adore Mother 3 and I've been playing him since the Brawl days - he's a cute character and I love everything about his moveset; his spacing tools, his satisfying spikes, his amazing aerials, etc. As far as general tricks go, you definitely want to learn how to wavebounce PK Fire, as it is an important asset of Lucas's neutral. You also need to know the percentages for combos, which look something like this:

0-30%~
- Nair > Nair or U-Tilt
- D-Throw > U-Tilt > U-Tilt > can lead into Nair or Uair, or you can read their landing
- D-Throw > Nair > U-Tilt > can lead into Nair or Uair, or you can read their landing
- D-Throw > footstool > jab lock stuff

30-90%~
- fastfall Uair > Uair
- Nair > Uair
- D-Throw > Nair > Nair > sometimes more Nairplanes lol
- D-Throw > Nair > Uair
- D-Throw > Nair > Fair > another Fair if you get the sourspot of the first one
- D-Throw > Bair spike > Uair or another Bair
- D-throw > Dair > read their defensive option upon landing

90%+
- D-Throw > Bair spike > Uair (You can opt for this if they're not in kill range for D-Throw > Uair, which is at about 120%)
- D-Throw > Uair (The PK Hoo-Hah is what you always want to go for at 120-130%, otherwise go for Up-Throw instead for the kill if they're at 130%+. Also make sure you read their DI)

Yeah, Lucas has a plethora of combos and I probably missed some in this quick little list. You just need to learn when to use them and what situations to utilize certain ones.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Literally absolutely positively nothing

Is anyone else so hopelessly bad with Lucas it's depressing? I put so much hope into him and I'm getting bodied by the CPUs. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. I watched all the videos on him, and nothing seems to work.
Are you fighting Lv. 9 CPUs? Don't. Go for Lv. 8, 9 is incredibly stupid and unfair with their reaction times. 8 is much more manageble imo

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
They already confirmed Lucas wouldn't be before he came out, so naturally Ryu and Roy will be banned as well.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Am gonna be taking part in an online invitational today, might use Lucas if I feel confident enough.

I really want to though. I want my frog and kid combo to work.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Am gonna be taking part in an online invitational today, might use Lucas if I feel confident enough.

I really want to though. I want my frog and kid combo to work.
Lucas needs a save frog shirt ;(

Also I'm making a non down throw Jab locks set up list! Hope you guys are making forward to it!
Probably gonna let @Kodystri take over the Lucas kill throw percents since I want to try different stuff ;P

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm so salty that I can't get Lucas for another few days. Been on a 5-day hike and I'm sitting here while everyone else gets to advance the meta. I'LL BE JOINING YOU ALL SOON ENOUGH FELLOW LUCASES!

Also I heard PF is back to using Lucas? <3

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I was playing against a Mario on Omega Colisseum, and I used PK Thunder to recover, but the bolt didn't come out. I was in mid-air with nothing to cancel out the bolt, and Mario was standing still letting me recover. WTF???

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I've

Done

A bunch

Of Lucas silhouettes

You can click on each image if you wanna buy stuff with that on it. I'm also open to different costumes for each pose. There's a few already for the Up Smash version due to requests.

Last edited:

Genclops

Smash Rookie
I have been hitting the lab and FG with lucas every day since he has came out, and it has gotten to the point that I don't even want to play Fox anymore. Such a fun character.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
lol I think I just wasted $5 because I forgot I'm totally incompetent with recovering with PK Thunder.

I use to sorta use Lucas back in the Brawl days, but I never fought people with him before so playing with him is brand new to me now.

It's going to take quite some time to find some kind of flow with this floaty shortfry.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
Guys, Lucas is broken in dubs. If he teams with a Pikachu, 1 full Thunder is 42% back for Lucas. He will not die. He also has that singles infinite so he is obviously the best character in Sm4sh.

Arbok_

Smash Rookie
Could somebody remind me when the matchup thread is opening again? I don't remember where to find that info. Also, sorry to bring this up again, but seriously, Club Titiboo as the new thread name.... Just think about it.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
These are super cool looking! If it's not too much trouble, do you think I could request one? I'd like his down-taunt pose, something like this: (preferably with his red shirt alt)

That would be incredible. ;o

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
These are super cool looking! If it's not too much trouble, do you think I could request one? I'd like his down-taunt pose, something like this: (preferably with his red shirt alt)

That would be incredible. ;o
It's almost the same as the Down Smash

Do you want me to change the coloring to the red-shirted one or do you need me to make a new one on the down taunt?

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
It's almost the same as the Down Smash

Do you want me to change the coloring to the red-shirted one or do you need me to make a new one on the down taunt?
I kind've like how his legs and head are positioned in his down-taunt, but if that's too much trouble then I would certainly be content with a red version of the down-smash one!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Oh, that was quick. Thanks a bunch dude! Awesome work on these silhouettes. c:
No problem man. I've made like 900 of them so the simpler designs like Lucas don't take very long anymore and I love the practice. And since I discovered that the Wii U can publish screenshots to imgur rather than the lowres Miiverse, getting source material is wayyyyyy easier now lol

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
No problem man. I've made like 900 of them so the simpler designs like Lucas don't take very long anymore and I love the practice. And since I discovered that the Wii U can publish screenshots to imgur rather than the lowres Miiverse, getting source material is wayyyyyy easier now lol
Haha, I remember seeing some of your work a while back. Really neat that you're still doing them! Also, I actually didn't know that was a thing.. that's good to know, considering how much of a pain the Miiverse method is.

And again, thank you very much.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Nakat won a round against Ally, but he's currently in losers and down a match, so I wouldn't get too excited.

Won two rounds and then lost the last one because of an SD.

Last edited:

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
It was a pretty neat two wins out of no where with Lucas, I have more hope for him, but those wiffed grabs just suck so bad for him.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I feel lately that Lucas is pretty strong, but definitely going to have some painful matchups and really need to resist the urge to grab, which is difficult since it's such a good option in this game.

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
Watching at the stream it was pretty hype when Nakat went Lucas, but looking at that match, the MU was very equal and nakat could win the last match if he just didnt SD.
Lucas has trouble landing, something to realy work on and the theter recovery its pretty viable something better than the PK

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Watching at the stream it was pretty hype when Nakat went Lucas, but looking at that match, the MU was very equal and nakat could win the last match if he just didnt SD.
Lucas has trouble landing, something to realy work on and the theter recovery its pretty viable something better than the PK
You wouldn't mind tossing a link or the name to that stream would you? I don't know where to find it and I want to see if I can view it in the past broadcasts. [I'm really new to watching smash stuff on twitch.]

------

Also those silhouettes are amazing! Especially the taunt, grab, and up smash ones. Needs more Claus colors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom