• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
I found a way to completely remove full Hop PK Fire's landing lag!
Full Hop PK Fire into Back Air to remove the landing lag!
Also works with DJ PK Fire into Back Air

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I found a way to completely remove full Hop PK Fire's landing lag!
Full Hop PK Fire into Back Air to remove the landing lag!
Also works with DJ PK Fire into Back Air
When are you inputting the Bair? Almost on the ground as with the airdodge cancel?

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
Oh man, 100% on board with Club Titiboo as a new thread title. Do we get live performances and cute waitresses?

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
This tech is breaking my fingers omfg
Getting Up The video might take a while ~.~

Snowy

Smash Rookie
What i do is Just instantly full hop PKF and spam Bair and it should work
Let me Make a video
It seems to work best for me when I input a bair and a dash at the same time right as hit the ground if I'm thinking of the right thing. :)

Edit: PK Fire full hop cancel like ness ->bair+dash right as you hit the ground.

Last edited:

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
It seems to work best for me when I input a bair and a dash at the same time right as hit the ground if I'm thinking of the right thing. :)

Edit: PK Fire full hop cancel like ness ->bair+dash right as you hit the ground.
Yeah with Ness is way easier but i struggle with Lucas's.. Lol

Snowy

Smash Rookie
Yeah with Ness is way easier but i struggle with Lucas's.. Lol
Yeah, I'm inconsistent with the Lucas one I'll need to figure out the exact timing. It's harder for me to do it without the dash, but possible. Good to know, thanks. :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I blocked an almost fully charged shot with PK Fire.

...Anybody got an explanation? Does PK Fire have a... hurtbox?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Bet they paid Pit(with food) and Ryu to have figures then, but considering Kid Icarus:Uprising broke the 4th wall many times, Pit's figurine was probably made by Palutena(hers aswell), and they pretend they're really the trophy(tricking the others except Ryu and Dark Pit, not sure about Viridi). But I'm still not sure if Lucas survived the aftermatch of Mother 3.
I assumed aftermath of Mother 3 was the creation of a new world. In any case, 4th wall breaking does not make canon I guess. And Easter Eggs are there for fun and references. It's best not to think too much into it though.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean by that?
His grab is terrible, even if his throws are good. None of his tilts nor aerials are particularly strong. He doesn't seem to excel in any particular area. Compared to Roy, who is just completely ridiculous, and Ryu, who has Shoryuken and combos, Lucas is very underwhelming. It feels like they tried really hard to make him an utterly average character, while Roy and Ryu got plenty of work put into making them strong.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
His grab is terrible, even if his throws are good. None of his tilts nor aerials are particularly strong. He doesn't seem to excel in any particular area. Compared to Roy, who is just completely ridiculous, and Ryu, who has Shoryuken and combos, Lucas is very underwhelming. It feels like they tried really hard to make him an utterly average character, while Roy and Ryu got plenty of work put into making them strong.
You shouldnt be using a tether grab like everyone's normal grab or you will be wide open..
Tilts and aerials not strong.....?
Lucas's Tilts are very fast and useful, F Tilt for spacing,Jab locking...,Frame 4 U Tilt for follow ups
NAir for combos and good for gimping,F Tilt for killing, PK Hoo Hah and other stuff
I understand but Lucas isn't terrible

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Bad even by the standards of tether grabs. Bad range and active frames but still has to deal with the same long endlag as others.

Those all just feel average to me. Up tilt is good since it can get a followup, but it also leaves you wide open on miss like most (non-Sheik) up tilts. Forward tilt, well, it gets them away. Sometimes it can KO. Not bad, don't know if we can say yet whether it's great. His down tilt can jab lock but, well, it doesn't even combo on its own or into jab which is baffling to me, what did they think people were going to do with it?
Neutral air has potential but so far it's hard to know when to use it. It's more versatile but much slower than Mewtwo's.

He just feels like they had little ambition beyond bringing Lucas into the game. I know Roy needed a rework as a blatantly inferior clone, but it feel like they weren't aiming for anything with Lucas other than "put him in the game." He's just getting outshined badly by the other additions as well as Ness already being top 5 in this game.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Bad even by the standards of tether grabs. Bad range and active frames but still has to deal with the same long endlag as others.

Those all just feel average to me. Up tilt is good since it can get a followup, but it also leaves you wide open on miss like most (non-Sheik) up tilts. Forward tilt, well, it gets them away. Sometimes it can KO. Not bad, don't know if we can say yet whether it's great. His down tilt can jab lock but, well, it doesn't even combo on its own or into jab which is baffling to me, what did they think people were going to do with it?
Neutral air has potential but so far it's hard to know when to use it. It's more versatile but much slower than Mewtwo's.

He just feels like they had little ambition beyond bringing Lucas into the game. I know Roy needed a rework as a blatantly inferior clone, but it feel like they weren't aiming for anything with Lucas other than "put him in the game." He's just getting outshined badly by the other additions as well as Ness already being top 5 in this game.
Someone else who gets it. He's not bad but he definitely doesn't shine anywhere.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
This boredom is killing me, ugh.
Join the Lucas Skype group, we're having a oodles of fun. :3
http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-skype-group.406066/

Also, you guys are being surprisingly negative. You can't discount our phenomenal zoning options on top of our lethal high damage output combo game, it's just a matter of conditioning the opponent correctly. I don't think any other character can compare to our unique Zair and PK Fire zoning game AND have our amazing grab combos. Of course, you can't forget our extremely powerful kill moves either.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-skype-group.406066/

Also, you guys are being surprisingly negative. You can't discount our phenomenal zoning options on top of our lethal high damage output combo game, it's just a matter of conditioning the opponent correctly. I don't think any other character can compare to our unique Zair and PK Fire zoning game AND have our amazing grab combos. Of course, you can't forget our extremely powerful kill moves either.
Ooh I would like to join ;D
And yeah there is also lack of info Around these parts... ;(

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
So to add a bit more discussion I haven't seen this brought up anywhere [or at least I don't want to scrub through 146 pages worth of stuff, sorry if this has been talked about,] but what stages do you guys think best fit Lucas and what ones should be top priority in striking?

Also yeah things might not look that great for Lucas but he hasn't even been out a week and not many people have been playing with him. Roy and Ryu are taking a forefront right now because one is arguably the best sword wielder and the other is so unique and has so many different areas to explore. Lucas is just kinda there and not many people like his style of play. The more I play with him the more I feel like he can be right around where Ness is in terms of viability.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
guys, is short hop zair to grab a thing? i can get it to work on bots pretty consistently, havn't tried it vs a friend yet, though...

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
So to add a bit more discussion I haven't seen this brought up anywhere [or at least I don't want to scrub through 146 pages worth of stuff, sorry if this has been talked about,] but what stages do you guys think best fit Lucas and what ones should be top priority in striking?

Also yeah things might not look that great for Lucas but he hasn't even been out a week and not many people have been playing with him. Roy and Ryu are taking a forefront right now because one is arguably the best sword wielder and the other is so unique and has so many different areas to explore. Lucas is just kinda there and not many people like his style of play. The more I play with him the more I feel like he can be right around where Ness is in terms of viability.
I prefer Lucas with platforms, leads more to down throw combos and up smash set ups. Preferably Dream Land because it has platforms and walls for double PKT. Also it has a low ceiling.
I would strike stages with no walls and Lylat, because the moving stage gets in Lucas's way and sometimes stop PKF and other stuff, but that's just imo. :)

guys, is short hop zair to grab a thing? i can get it to work on bots pretty consistently, havn't tried it vs a friend yet, though...
I would say falling zair into grab is most likely a thing but people can escape shorthop Zair into grab :p

http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-skype-group.406066
What's your skype name? I haven't been added :x

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
[quote="NekoJubei, post: 19460133, member: 293773"

I would say falling zair into grab is most likely a thing but people can escape shorthop Zair into grab :p

[/quote]

that's sort of what i meant :-)

so i wasn't imagining things? this is real? because it can be a nice mix up to throw inbetween the PK fire and zair spacing

Drippy

Smash Ace
If you think Lucas is bad than you haven't played him enough nor have enough knowledge of this game to fully understand the character. All I have to say is watch ZeRo's analysis on Lucas and just watching NAKAT play Lucas if you think he's a big character cause I'd rather not explain it.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Nakat only played him day 1 against some friends, so I don't know why people keep bringing that up as some kind of indication of his tournament viability. ZeRo's analyses are just basic overviews, they're not actually in-depth guides to characters nor an official judgment of how good they are. Nobody has done anything with Lucas yet.

I'm not saying he's bad. I'm saying he's inexplicably underwhelming in a game where they had no problem letting Roy KO at 100% with an incredibly fast tilt and jab into grab, or where Ryu's forward air KO's earlier than Lucas's without even needing a sweetspot.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Nakat only played him day 1 against some friends, so I don't know why people keep bringing that up as some kind of indication of his tournament viability. ZeRo's analyses are just basic overviews, they're not actually in-depth guides to characters nor an official judgment of how good they are. Nobody has done anything with Lucas yet.

I'm not saying he's bad. I'm saying he's inexplicably underwhelming in a game where they had no problem letting Roy KO at 100% with an incredibly fast tilt, jab into grab, et cetera.
You don't understand, NAKAT has been playing him everyday including in a weekly tourney in Chicago today. Sure it's his friends but you act like they're casuals, all of his friends are really good at this game and aren't your everyday scrub in Sm4sh. I actually watched ZeRo's analysis and I know it's not a in-depth character guide and honestly if you got nothing of that analysis than I have NOTHING to say for you.

> Neutral air has potential but so far it's hard to know when to use it. It's more versatile but much slower than Mewtwo's.
> none of his tilts nor aerials are particularly strong. He doesn't seem to excel in any particular area.
> Bad range and active frames but still has to deal with the same long endlag as others.

Just by reading these few statements I already understand you barely understand the character nor what ZeRo has said in his video at all assuming you even watched it. Not only that you need to realize that Lucas is not a easy character you can just pick up and he is much harder than Roy and so of course Roy players will get the best results early on. In addition you keep bringing up Roy and list only his strengths but not his weaknesses and it seems you don't even understand what Lucas's strengths are. I don't even want to continue this discussion cause I remember talking about PK Fire with you as well and was only ignored after I proved you wrong.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I mean, I tried listing Lucas's strong points for this game and I couldn't list anything besides running away.

He's not bad, but he's not top character material.

You can still get results (I've been beating people at my weeklies) but at the same time you have to outplay them super hard, or let them outplay themselves.

Lucas would not break from a buff, and his grab is very bad. It goes through people half the time and I did it a few times in my weekly yesterday in grands and my friend was asking why it was going through him (No spotdodges, he just shielded and it literally went through him)

Not only that, but it's got some pretty bad active frames, and for a character that relies on grabs so far, the way he currently is shouldn't be okay to everybody.

Don't get me wrong, keep enjoying him just know he's currently lackluster compared to others. Especially with having no great shorthop options (nair does only 9%, it chains sure but by the time you finally get a nair off people have already done just as much % with 1-2 hits after your chain, or have already done more.

And honestly, PK Thunder is kinda bad in this game for Lucas.

It especially doesn't help that Sonic kept his spinjump, Ryu got an AIR DASH, but Lucas got magnet pulling taken away for no reason. Zap jumping I understand, but why take away something so unique and cool?

Also, dair could link better and his dtilt does less damage than Ness's dtilt that goes much faster.

I love Lucas, but please don't act like he's top tier worthy yet, realize his faults, once we find ways to work around it I'll agree with you.

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Long Live Lucas! Blaze with Joy for Roy!
And while you're at it... Let's get Sakurai to finish the job!

Wolf
The leader of the rival team: Star Wolf is looking more likely every day! But every supporter counts. :3 http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/page-128
Ice Climbers
These two kids had some trouble working on the 3Ds version, but with the proper adjustments, I believe that SoPo won't be the only way they can rejoin the fight. Let's support a fellow veteran in their darkest hour!
http://smashboards.com/threads/brea...ion-thread-under-new-ownership.324176/page-71
Squirtle
This Pokémon was most likely worked on before, and maybe even after Charizard's reveal. Popularity was the only thing keeping him out then, and it's the only thing keeping him out now. He needs your support now more than ever! http://smashboards.com/threads/squi...-squirtle-in-the-fighter-ballot.380462/page-2
Ivysaur
Ivysaur was cut along side Squirtle because Charizard was more popular. Ivysaur is going to need your help so he can join Squirtle and Charizard back into the fray with a shiny new Down Special!
http://smashboards.com/threads/ivys...-the-smash-ballot.386368/page-6#post-19460373
Snake
Most people think Snake can't get in because he is owned by a third party company that isn't doing well, and that de wouldn't fit the cartooney style of Super Smash Bros. for the 3Ds/Wii U. It's time to show them how wrong they are, and with enough support, anything can happen!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-solid-snake-for-smash-dlc-thread-new-revamped-op.324205/page-174
Young Link
Young Link was cut back in Brawl, supposedly replaced by Toon Link. It's time to show everyone how different Young Link can be from Toon Link. The dawn of the third day is upon us. This is Young Link's last chance!
http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn...hope-for-moveset-changes-rises.324215/page-12
Pichu
This poor Pokémon has been the center of hate for years. Not only was he a Pikachu clone, but he hurt himself when using an electric attack. But now that Sakurai has shown us that he is willing to put work into the clone veterans, Pichu has a chance to become something better, and more unique. All he needs is the support!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-cute-baby-pokémon-the-melee-underdog-pichu-for-dlc-discussion-under-new-ownership-vote-now.324198/page-14
Now is our time! Let's get our veterans Back!

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
You don't understand, NAKAT has been playing him everyday including in a weekly tourney in Chicago today. Sure it's his friends but you act like they're casuals, all of his friends are really good at this game and aren't your everyday scrub in Sm4sh. I actually watched ZeRo's analysis and I know it's not a in-depth character guide and honestly if you got nothing of that analysis than I have NOTHING to say for you.

> Neutral air has potential but so far it's hard to know when to use it. It's more versatile but much slower than Mewtwo's.
> none of his tilts nor aerials are particularly strong. He doesn't seem to excel in any particular area.
> Bad range and active frames but still has to deal with the same long endlag as others.

Just by reading these few statements I already understand you barely understand the character nor what ZeRo has said in his video at all assuming you even watched it. Not only that you need to realize that Lucas is not a easy character you can just pick up and he is much harder than Roy and so of course Roy players will get the best results early on. In addition you keep bringing up Roy and list only his strengths but not his weaknesses and it seems you don't even understand what Lucas's strengths are. I don't even want to continue this discussion cause I remember talking about PK Fire with you as well and was only ignored after I proved you wrong.
He has? I wouldn't know, the only footage I see is of day 1 Lucas doing nothing players here haven't already figured out on their own or shared here.

Those are also not helpful statements "Lucas is good but I won't tell you why, obviously you're just stupid." Okay. Big help. Thank you for your contributions to the Lucas metagame. As for PK Fire, I didn't ignore you. I said literally one post later that I was having a lot more luck with it, although it wasn't thanks to any of your input. You have an issue with simply insisting that other people are wrong rather than providing insight.

ZeRo's videos are useless, honestly. He doesn't give any analysis of how the characters' moves work in neutral, if they should go off-stage, their weaknesseses, good matchups, et cetera. I know it's too early to make good estimates of matchups, but the videos really aren't particularly useful stuff. ZeRo has the best grasp of the metagame right now, but his character knowledge is not at all comprehensive. He tends to do things in his analysis/ For Glory videos like "this combos," miss the combo two to three times in a row or attempt to do it at the wrong percent, then just "well, it combos, it's pretty good." Or base his opinion on a character off of one Japanese player's performance, because 1. well, nobody else is bothering to play that character (Greninja, Peach), 2. he doesn't have very much knowledge of that character himself. Yes, he has plenty of general knowledge. But his character-specific knowledge is generally no more (or not as) helpful than that of the average (decent) player who mains them.

I also tend to criticize characters rather than directly ask questions, which is partially to get someone to defend them with some helpful insight, but mostly due to generally being annoyed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom