• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Drippy

Smash Ace
But the difference is that Lucas has more to obviously differentiate him from Ness (standard attacks, grabs, based god Rope Snake), to the point where some argue that he isn't a clone. Meanwhile, Roy is a clear last-minute inclusion, down to many of his data files referring to him as "Emblem" instead of Roy, with his few differences only hindering him. This doesn't justify him as a semi-clone to me, and if that were the case, then I guess Pichu would be a semi-clone too on the merit of being so inferior to their counterpart that you have to rework the way you play them.

I guess I'm just trying to contest that Lucas and Roy are on different levels as fighters, with one being significantly closer to being a fully fleshed-out fighter due to their unique attributes and moves than the other. However, this is why I really want Roy to be different this time around, because then he can have a chance to shine as a unique character and help dispel the stereotype of Fire Emblem characters just being animu dudes with swords with nothing special about them. I just want there to be a good reason to be excited that Roy's coming beyond it being Roy, which there isn't if he's still the same.
Yeah that's understandable

I thought this was clear. Lucas is not a clone.
He's a semiclone which still makes him a clone lol

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
a semiclone is different from a clone, otherwise there would be no use for the word "semiclone" and people would just say clone.

unless this is sarcasm, in which case use /s next time pls

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Someone else lurking here has the same name as a mega man enemy.

So after mentioning being a Lucas Brawl main on another thread I was directed here to heaven. How is everyone?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I have indeed named myself after a Mega Man boss: ENKER. He is my favoritest boss from Mega Man. (And is thus obviously the best!)

I am very well! I was also a Lucas main in Brawl and I greatly look forward to making him my huge secondary in Smash 4! :D

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Maybe it's because I grew up with playing Street Fighter 2 (along with Mortal Kombat), but I actually like the idea of Ryu. But to each their own I guess.

I just hope we don't see a slew of every cut veteran, because while it would be nice for being able to play as them again especially for their fans, I really would like to see some new ideas with some dlc newcomers.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Maybe it's because I grew up with playing Street Fighter 2 (along with Mortal Kombat), but I actually like the idea of Ryu. But to each their own I guess.

I just hope we don't see a slew of every cut veteran, because while it would be nice for being able to play as them again especially for their fans, I really would like to see some new ideas with some dlc newcomers.

what about pichu?

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Solid post, @ BlueberrySyrup BlueberrySyrup
Yeah, that whole argument has always really bugged me. Since when do specials alone dictate clone status? Even at that, Lucas's special moves operate quite differently which makes them unique application-wise. Ness's PK Fire is a combo setup tool, while Lucas's is purely a spacing option.. Ness's PK Magnet is solely for defensive purposes, while Lucas's has more offensive use, etc. And that's not even getting into how different their playstyles are because of their unique normals.

you'd think it would be common knowledge by now lol

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
ikr. the answer is right there and people still say otherwise using weak arguments.
Or just plain lack of experience and/or ignorance... I don't even think they play similar at all even at low levels. Maybe they'll only accept it when they play both and analyze them individually. I wonder how many would actually take the time to do that (no offense to them, they just might not like Smash enough to get into depth... But for other competitive players with experience... Sigh).

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Do you guys think that once Lucas is released his hair will have physics instead of just standing still all the time like in the trailer?

Drippy

Smash Ace
I don't think you guys understand and are just getting really offensive over nothing really. Yes I admit that he is a semiclone, and that it is the correct term to be used when describing Lucas but it doesn't change the fact that he's still in essence a clone. Semiclone just mean he's partly identical to the original, but he's still similar and shares same traits as Lucas. Lets take a look at your Reddit post which was downvoted compared to this post which was upvoted a decent amount:

When you can describe a move like "It is just like X, but instead of doing this, it does that", it is because it is already a clone.

All four specials are very similar to Ness. Add the similar size, weight, look and style, that is enough to consider him a clone.

We can discuss semantics here forever. Semi-clone, real clone, true clone, pseudo clone. Whatever. For me there is just good clones and bad clones. And Lucas is a good clone. If all clones were like Lucas, I would be happy.
I should note that I've been on the Lucas boards since day one and to assume I'm ignorant of how my own favorite character plays is stupid. I'm just not as in denial and easily aggravated as you guys and accepting of the fact that he is still essentially a clone with changes.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Would Luigi still be considered a clone now because most of his regular and special attacks are similar to Mario's attacks?

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe

Today I was bored and edited Ness's model to make it look like Lucas. (glitchy details caused by low res trees and textures)

(EDIT: Added better render)

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh, that just reminded me!

I had a dream last night were I was playing as Lucas in tournament sets and destroying the competition. Nair was just godlike. If Nair ends up having AC frames and is amazing then MY DREAM CALLED IT! :p

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I just want a good dair into jab lock into rage usmash, or fair into it. I also hope magnet can still kill.

If lucas loses his jab lock I will be severely disappointed.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh of course, I knew I was missing something.

I was worried the Dtilt lock would lose its potency because you can only Dtilt 3 times at most and I was thinking there might be a possibility of Fsmash not killing from certain parts of the stage. If that is the case, then Dtilt lock ---> Usmash will be the B&B killer at 80%+, assuming the DI will be more difficult to achieve and... well not much you can do about teching but meah, if Dair is as good as it was in Brawl then not too much to freak out about. <3

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I just want a good dair into jab lock into rage usmash, or fair into it.
If lucas loses his jab lock I will be severely disappointed.
Come to think of it, wouldn't the fact that meteor smashes now bounce you off the ground mean that his Dair jab lock setup no longer works..? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm under the impression that it worked it Brawl because being spiked into the ground without teching would leave you in a fallen state, which is no longer the case.

In any case, Fair might be able to set up for jab locks as an alternative.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Come to think of it, wouldn't the fact that meteor smashes now bounce you off the ground mean that his Dair jab lock setup no longer works..? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm under the impression that it worked it Brawl because being spiked into the ground without teching would leave you in a fallen state, which is no longer the case.

In any case, Fair might be able to set up for jab locks as an alternative.
Not all spikes in Brawl put you into fallen state, some bounced you back up. In smash 4 I'm not quite sure if there are any that still do it, but one can hope. :grin:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Not all spikes in Brawl put you into fallen state, some bounced you back up. In smash 4 I'm not quite sure if there are any that still do it, but one can hope. :grin:
Hmm.. If it does bounce you up, I wonder if it would be able to combo into an Up-Smash or Uair. Most Dair bounces have a ton of hitstun in Smash 4, so it's possible. Off the top of my head, Falcon's Dair into knee is a true combo at certain percents, same with Villager's Dair into Uair.

Man I can't wait to get my hands on Lucas and hit the lab.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
In Brawl, if a character was on the ground while being hit by a meteor smash, then the character would bounce of of the ground. If they were in the air while being hit by a meteor smash, then they wouldn't. Also, some meteor smashes like Samus's strong up attack and Peach's strong down attack work on grounded opponents only.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Would Luigi still be considered a clone now because most of his regular and special attacks are similar to Mario's attacks?
I would consider him a clone but if we're going to be specific than he's a semiclone.

Fully agree with this.

So close to Lucas! Hopefully he isn't released late June, I can't take this wait.
If they announce him at E3 then I'd expect him to be released in late June. =(

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I can't wait till school ends so I can finally get back to Mother 3. I'm still in NPC sewers. :/

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I'm getting bored of Sm4sh. I hope Lucas renews my interest. I need Lucas.
You're not the only one getting bored. Much of my time is taken up by Advance Wars right now, gonna try hard mode on 2... Even though I couldn't get past the second mission on 1's hard campaign. What am I thinking?

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
You're not the only one getting bored. Much of my time is taken up by Advance Wars right now, gonna try hard mode on 2... Even though I couldn't get past the second mission on 1's hard campaign. What am I thinking?
Well at least you have another game to play. I don't.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
True. I was half-joking when I said 'what am I thinking?' Maybe you could go back to games you haven't touched in years?
Maybe. but the only games I haven't touched in years are games I am unable to play, due to my PS3 dying from YLOD :<

Drippy

Smash Ace
What customs would lucas have?
I'd honestly expect it to be very similar to Ness's vanilla and custom moves. So he'd have Ness's PK Fire and custom PK Bonfire which lasts longer but has less range. I don't imagine them to be working to hard on the custom moves and considering Dr Mario / Mario, Lucina / Marth, and Pit / Dark Pit all share the same custom moves makes it seem even more likely for Lucas. This is also assuming if Lucas even has customs to begin with.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Counter and PSI Shield as Down B customs.

A PK Freeze variant similar to Greninjas Down B explosion custom that comes out faster buy doesn't make the character disappear.

Quick PK Fire that does negligible damage/knockback, but good for interrupting moves.

Top Bottom