• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I'm really hoping for both Mother characters to return. I loved playing as Lucas.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I thought the only reason Lucas was in Brawl was to pay Tribute to Mr. ITOI.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
The fact that we haven't received anything Mother related at all is suspicious. I used to think that we would get something on Mother's 25th anniversary, but what about Earthbound's 20th? The 20th anniversary of Earthbound is in 10 days after all. I know I'm grasping here, but why haven't we received anything from a beloved franchise? All we have is 2 items that werent even shown off in the offical POTDs. Also I don't think Lucas will be cut, as Sakurai has said that he is trying not to cut as many characters as he can, and for a series with such a cult following as Earthbound I can't believe he would leave us with only one character. Ness is of course returning, but with this silence on the series from Sakurai is something big coming?
Agreed, this is what i was thinking. Maybe we'll get a Mother newcomer, but who knows.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Sadly I think the lack of Mother content so far is simply because there isn't that much to reveal. I hope I am wrong though.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
We have a leak on Lucas.

according to the uploader, a friend of his emailed this leak. Also, I could post this on the Leak group, but it won't let me get in the thread.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
To be honest I'd be surprised if they cut either Lucas or Ness, so if the leak is true I wouldn't be shocked.

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
We have a leak on Lucas.

according to the uploader, a friend of his emailed this leak. Also, I could post this on the Leak group, but it won't let me get in the thread.
is it just me or does hit foot and the hand right of his head seem weird. his foot seems streched and his hand seems broken

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
We have a leak on Lucas.

Those are Lucas' and Fox's Brawl Models, just with crappy Photoshopped outlines and pasted on New Battlefield.
Faaaaake.

Last edited:

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
I thought the only reason Lucas was in Brawl was to pay Tribute to Mr. ITOI.
Mother 3 came out in 2006 when they started development on SSBB and the game had received a lot of praise in Japan. He had a pretty big following going into it over there iirc

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
We have a leak on Lucas.

Wow... that fake didn't even get the proper screen size of the top 3DS screen... Have we just hit a new low in fakes...

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
Hey guys so according to this picture Creatures inc. is one of the companies listed on the 3ds box under copyrights! While many people have said that the box doesn't really prove anything this confirms that Creatures inc is affiliated with the game. In case you don't know, Creatures inc (also known as Ape inc) is a video game company that made the Earthbound series! So this proves that Earthbound will be represented in the game. (I know that the Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badges already sort of proved this, but why would they include the company just for 2 items?)

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
Hey guys so according to this picture Creatures inc. is one of the companies listed on the 3ds box under copyrights! While many people have said that the box doesn't really prove anything this confirms that Creatures inc is affiliated with the game. In case you don't know, Creatures inc (also known as Ape inc) is a video game company that made the Earthbound series! So this proves that Earthbound will be represented in the game. (I know that the Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badges already sort of proved this, but why would they include the company just for 2 items?)
I'm just going to quote something off of reddit that was posted in the Shulk thread because it explains it far better than I can:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...japanese_3ds_box_revealed_with_new/?limit=500
THIS IS NOT PROOF THAT SNAKE OR OTHER 3RD PARTY CHARACTERS ARE DE-CONFIRMED
The copyright labels, directly reference assets depicted on the artwork of this promotional material (in this case box art). There is no content on that box art containing assets owned by Hideo Kojima, Ubisoft, etc, thus those copyrights are omitted.
Here is an example, this is the box for Mario & Luigi Superstars Saga which features a Cameo by Geno. There is no copyright label for Square-Enix on this box.
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal simply puts a generic all 3rd party characters are owned by their respective companies clause.
ALSO NOTICE THERE IS NO UBISOFT COPYRIGHT, as Rayman is a trophy within the game, but not featured on this box.
There is no definitive law that says all copyrighted parties be referenced on the label of the box.
Also, I believe Ness was still listed under APE inc in Melee and Brawl, and Lucas I believe was listed under Shigasato Itoi in Brawl.

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to quote something off of reddit that was posted in the Shulk thread because it explains it far better than I can:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...japanese_3ds_box_revealed_with_new/?limit=500

Also, I believe Ness was still listed under APE inc in Melee and Brawl, and Lucas I believe was listed under Shigasato Itoi in Brawl.
That quote only proves that any companies NOT on the box can still be affiliated with the game.
The fact that creatures inc IS on the box does prove that they have affiliation with the game. So my point still stands. Also creatures inc has to be for Earthbound because the only other games they have made were some minor mario and pokemon games, like pokemon ranger and Mario's picross.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
That quote only proves that any companies NOT on the box can still be affiliated with the game.
The fact that creatures inc IS on the box does prove that they have affiliation with the game. So my point still stands. Also creatures inc has to be for Earthbound because the only other games they have made were some minor mario and pokemon games, like pokemon ranger and Mario's picross.
OBJECTION!

... Uhh... sorry, I couldn't resist.
Anyway, I hate to burst your bubble (I'm just as anxiously awaiting Mother-related news), but I'm certain this means nothing. As SaberPichu said, the series was listed under APE inc. (EarthBound) and SHIGESATO (mainly Mother 3) in Brawl.
And yes, I know, Creatures Inc. basically IS APE inc., but APE is what they were called when they made EarthBound, and as a result, Brawl credited them as APE, not as Creatures Inc. I see no reason for the developers to change the way SSB credits them.

Now, true, aside from Mother, Creatures inc. mostly made small-time Pokémon spinoffs (and those were still some of their bigger titles - they are a really insignificant team all things considered nowadays), BUT they were also involved with making Pokémon Emerald. I think it's likely Nintendo sees them as part of the Pokémon team, in a way.

Let's check the Brawl box.

Note how Creatures Inc. is between POKEMON and Game Freak, clearly being grouped with those instead of with SHIGESATO ITOI.
Also note how APE is credited separately, but IS grouped with ITOI, indicating APE is in fact how SSB credits the people that made EarthBound.

I hope that makes sense, I do tend to overanalyze things... and remember, I'm on your side here. I definitely want Mother to be back in its full glory, but we have to keep the facts straight.

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
Creatures is strictly pokemon. For whatever reason, even though APE became Creatures, EarthBound is still under APE. Here's a video of Melee's credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJbvfzGu08 You can see in this video at about 1:12 when he hits the creatures Inc and APE Inc. it's Pokemon and EarthBound respectfully. I have no idea if there is an actual reason for this.

Definitely do still want Mother back.

Anyone think we're going to see anything Mother related August 27th? (20th anniversary of Mother 2 in Japan)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think the copyright on the boxart only refers to the characters that appear on the boxart. Ness appeared on Melee's box, and Lucas appeared on Brawl's box. And Itoi was credited there.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I think the copyright on the boxart only refers to the characters that appear on the boxart. Ness appeared on Melee's box, and Lucas appeared on Brawl's box. And Itoi was credited there.
But Ape Inc. didn't make Mother 3. That was strictly Itoi and Hal. Laboratory, and they didn't list it under Hal. Ness was no where to be found on the Brawl boxarts, so why would they need to credit Ape anyway?

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
But Ape Inc. didn't make Mother 3. That was strictly Itoi and Hal. Laboratory, and they didn't list it under Hal. Ness was no where to be found on the Brawl boxarts, so why would they need to credit Ape anyway?
I'm not really sure about that either, actually. I guess they just did even though it wasn't strictly needed.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I finally just finished Mother 3 for the first time last night, and wow...

What an ending. That was heartbreaking.

I really hope Lucas comes back. He was a lot of fun in Brawl and Mother 3 deserves representation for being the incredible game that it is. In my opinion, it easily beats out Earthbound and Earthbound is superb.

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
So if this LEAK is true, there's a spot beside Ness, confirmed Lucas back, no new Mother characters imo.
IF it's real, this leak looks legit.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
If this is real, then Lucas and more characters should be available once the Wii U Version comes out.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I'm not really one who really cares too much about Earthbound, but I liked Lucas in Brawl, in fact I will just say I kind of hate Ness, I would much rather have Lucas.

Ness is only good for being a Original 12 because, well I am the O12 Killer, I would like all the O12 characters from Super Smash Bros 64 to beat up on, and Lucas was the guy who made me even consider acknowledging Earthbound as being relevant, I used to view it as one of the most obscere series in Super Smash Bros along with Ice Climers, but now I see it on a slightly higher tier.

Despite me not really being into Earthbound, I am in full support of seeing Lucas return.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna pay too much attention to the leak. I can see Lucas being DLC but I could also see him being part of the starting roster. I mean, we have Lucina, Toon Link, and Luigi who are clones/semi-clones.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'm not gonna pay too much attention to the leak. I can see Lucas being DLC but I could also see him being part of the starting roster. I mean, we have Lucina, Toon Link, and Luigi who are clones/semi-clones.
I wouldn't say Luigi's a Clone.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
half freaking out because smash 3ds releases in 40 days and prima guides are already coming out

I would give anything for a Lucas DLC, at least give us Mother/Earthbound reps, Sakurai! D:

LucinaSuitSamus

Smash Cadet
So if this LEAK is true, there's a spot beside Ness, confirmed Lucas back, no new Mother characters imo.
IF it's real, this leak looks legit.

The different art of Ness, Falco, R.O.B, and Wario is pretty deceiving... imo, it looks pretty realistic to me, but I can see a few things off with it.

1. Mr. Game & Watch's hand is inside Wario's box
2. Where are the Mii Fighters?
3. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina are not grouped with their respective franchise.

I would love to believe it but sadly no Lucas and it is just a leak. So of course it could be wrong (like most) or I could be wrong.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
The different art of Ness, Falco, R.O.B, and Wario is pretty deceiving... imo, it looks pretty realistic to me, but I can see a few things off with it.

1. Mr. Game & Watch's hand is inside Wario's box
2. Where are the Mii Fighters?
3. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina are not grouped with their respective franchise.

I would love to believe it but sadly no Lucas and it is just a leak. So of course it could be wrong (like most) or I could be wrong.
Well, on the thread dedicated to this leak it has been thoroughly investigated, and they say:

1. No, Wario's shoulder just looks very dark in this picture, it only looks off.
2. The Mii Fighters are in a separate character creation screen (with the custom moveset menu).
3. It seems those 3, most likely all being clones, have been put in a separate "clone corner".

Aside from that... I really hope there are more characters if this DOES turn out to be legit - in fact, it NOT being legit would be the best option. Right now, it's an absolutely terrible roster to me. Seems like it'd be bad news for most fans, actually.

Mother fan? Sorry, only one character this time. Starfox? Yeah, you guys also lose a character. Metroid? Hmm, no, no newcomers. DK, Kirby, Zelda, Pokemon? Nope, nothing new here either.
Ah, I see, you were hoping for a cool unexpected character instead? Well you get DUCK HUNT DOG.

Clearly, the only big winners are Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, and Bowser Jr. enthousiasts.
And people that wanted Dr. Mario back, but those are probably not that numerous.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
And me and other fans of Duck Hunt Dog.
Yeah, yeah, and Shulk as well... what I'm trying to say is, those groups aren't generally as significant or expansive as the groups that will be sorely disappointed (Metroid, Mother, Starfox,...), and anyway, these are obviously not exclusive groups, most people want characters from multiple of these groups, like say Ridley and Duck Hunt Dog. Chances are, most of those people are going to be more disappointed if Ridley doesn't make it than if DHD doesn't. I doubt many people would want DHD above all other characters.

I don't know, I never played Duck Hunt (and don't intend to, the gameplay doesn't really look like i holds up today), but I really don't see the potential. I'm not immensely fond of Ridley or Mewtwo or K.Rool, but I can at least vaguely see why people want them even if I don't actually agree.
I can't see that for Duck Hunt Dog. All I can see is just a funny little in-game thing (man, this dog laugs at you? what a jerk) that stuck with people enough for the dog to be remembered. It's basically a meme from before the internet, if you think about it, and to me, that iconic joke status is all he really has.

Phew, this supposed leak business is getting me all riled up.
Maybe I'll just check the DHD thread and see what their arguments are. There HAS to be one on these forums.

EDIT: oh god, you ARE the guy from the DHD thread.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would be willing to accept the possible loss of Lucas if I didn't already have to deal with the loss of Ivysaur. And I already coped with losing Roy.

Sakurai hates me. At least he gave me Robin. I just hope I'm good with him/her.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
If the leaks and their subsequent updates are to be believed, Lucas is in trouble.

I'm quite worried.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Those videos...THe art style...LUCAS IS DLC, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

Im not going to forgive Sakurai for cutting him, i swear. -__-

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm all for clones and such but I'd have much rather had Lucas back than brought back Doc. Or introduced Lucina or Dark Pit. Not that I have anything against those characters but... Lucas was the bomb. Ness just isn't as good.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
I'd hate to see Lucas go, especially since it'd leave the Mother series with only one rep.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
OK guys, here's the deal. We've all seen the leak. Since I never mained Lucas, I'll use as much knowledge I can remember of my time playing as him. First things first, the leak.

Really? We're trusting some random person out there with Smash information? C'mon guys! We don't even know who's leaking this stuff! Until I know who's leaking this, I wouldn't believe a THING this leak is saying. Summed up, this means don't give up hope. Because honestly, even I think Lucas will make his return. And for all of you saying he was a clone...let's look at his moveset, shall we?

Special: PK Freeze. Why is this move unique? Well, yes. PK Freeze and PK Flash do have the same remote-control mechanic. But do I see Ness' special freezing people? Uh...no.
Side Special: PK Fire. Why is this move unique? Same name, COMPLETELY different property. Lucas' PK Fire does not score multiple hits. It's just a one-and-done event.
Up Special: PK Thunder. Why is this move unique? Again, same name, different usage. Lucas' PK Thunder goes through opponents, so you can get multiple hits. Lucas' PK Thunder also moves a bit slower.
Down Special: PSI Magnet. Why is this move unique? Well, there isn't anything to really distinguish Ness' and Lucas Down Specials...so...I've got nothing...but anyways...

Lucas is not getting cut. His differences in just his special moves (not counting his aerials, smashes, or other attacks), already lends him a moveset that belongs to him and him only. I therefore state that Lucas is not a clone, and just a reminder, don't give up hope because of the leak until we have confirmation on another character (design art will confirm or debunk the leak) or until we know who's giving this stuff out. Here's hoping Lucas makes his return!

Top Bottom