• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The only problem is that the 3DS one, Gates to Infinity, apparently sucks. I haven't played it, but just reading about it is meh. They removed a lot of stuff that made the games so good, such as the personality test at the beginning that decides the Pokemon you'll play as.

Although, we all know Cyndaquil is the best.
THERE'S A PERSONALITY TEST TO DETERMINE WHAT POKEMON YOU PLAY AS?? IT'S LIKE A QUIZ BUT ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING. I HAVE TO PLAY THESE GAMES NAO. ;_;

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
The only problem is that the 3DS one, Gates to Infinity, apparently sucks. I haven't played it, but just reading about it is meh. They removed a lot of stuff that made the games so good, such as the personality test at the beginning that decides the Pokemon you'll play as.

I liked the story for Gates, though I feel like it could have been paced better. The missions between the main story felt more padded out than usual.

Explorers of Sky is still the best in my opinion, though.
Wigglytuff's backstory just broke my heart.:crying: One of the few times a Pokémon game made me cry. Also, I now have a new appreciation for Bidoof.

EDIT: As for teams-
Blue Rescue Team: Bulbasaur with Cyndaquil
Explorers of Time: Squirtle with Turtwig
Explorers of Sky: Vulpix with Meowth
Gates to Infinity: Pikachu with Axew

Haven't played Red Rescue Team or Explorers of Space, but they're pretty much the same as BRT and EoT anyway.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace

No :158: is the best! Also I'll see how I like the first ones first and depending on if I REALLY love the series, I'll just give it a chance.

Shaymikyu

@ D Drippy : The games aren't linked chronologically, if it helps. I think they're all worth a shot, though. For reference-

Blue and Red Rescue Team are the same game, but Blue is for the DS and Red is for the GBA. There might be a couple of different Pokémon too, but I can't remember.

Explorers of Time and Explorers of Space are the same game barring some version exclusive Pokémon. Explorers of Sky is the same story as those previous two, but with more Pokémon options for partners and to become and with some cool bonus chapters that flesh out the characters more and answer some questions. And SHAYMIN!

Gates to Infinity is its own thing.

Drippy

Smash Ace
@ D Drippy : The games aren't linked chronologically, if it helps. I think they're all worth a shot, though. For reference-

Blue and Red Rescue Team are the same game, but Blue is for the DS and Red is for the GBA. There might be a couple of different Pokémon too, but I can't remember.

Explorers of Time and Explorers of Space are the same game barring some version exclusive Pokémon. Explorers of Sky is the same story as those previous two, but with more Pokémon options for partners and to become and with some cool bonus chapters that flesh out the characters more and answer some questions. And SHAYMIN!

Oh alright awesome, yea I'll check them out.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll probably do another Mother 3 run in June around when Lucas comes out.

As for games I have planned to play (not necessarily in order):

*Xenoblade Chronicles, which I should have had by now.
*Paper Mario
*Golden Sun
*Kid Icarus: Uprising
*Mother 1
*Bravely Default

Any probably some others.
You should play it right now. Just only play Mother 3 until Lucas comes out, and then you can move on to other games. :4pacman:

I haven't played any of the games you listed except for Kid Icarus: Uprising, which I haven't finished. Looking to play Xenoblade Chronicles and Bravely Default, though. I've heard great things about them.

Anyways, for the games I'm planning to play/replay (** for replay):

*Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
*Pikmin 3
*Wind Waker HD
*Mother 1
*Earthbound
*Wario Land 3
*Wario Land 4
*Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
*Bravely Default
**Pokemon Fire Red
**Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
**Kirby and The Amazing Mirror
**Mother 3 (lol)
**Super Smash Bros. Melee (does this even count?)
**Super Mario Sunshine
**Kirby Air Ride
**Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
**Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
**Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Subspace Emissary, Project M version)
**Kirby Mass Attack
**Cave Story

htdg'drg;

THERE'S A PERSONALITY TEST TO DETERMINE WHAT POKEMON YOU PLAY AS?? IT'S LIKE A QUIZ BUT ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING. I HAVE TO PLAY THESE GAMES NAO. ;_;
YES AND IT'S SO AMAZING AND AMAZING AND AMAZINGLY AMAZINGLY AMAZING SO GO TAKE IT NAOOOOOOO.

I'm probably too connected into the older games to like Gates to Infinity. Overall, the game feels less intuitive and creative than other games, but that may just be me. At least we all know that Red Rescue Team is forever the best, amirite? *crickets*

Also, what? There's an Explorers of Space...? I've never heard of that, wow. I must be out of my Mystery Dungeon loop. Explorers of Sky is ultimately better because SHAYMIN.

Wigglytuff's backstory just broke my heart.:crying: One of the few times a Pokémon game made me cry. Also, I now have a new appreciation for Bidoof.
Was that the thing where you play a bit as Igglybuff? I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

EDIT: NOW I REMEMBER ITTTT.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

You should play it right now. Just only play Mother 3 until Lucas comes out, and then you can move on to other games. :4pacman:

I haven't played any of the games you listed except for Kid Icarus: Uprising, which I haven't finished. Looking to play Xenoblade Chronicles and Bravely Default, though. I've heard great things about them.

*Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
*Pikmin 3
*Wind Waker HD
*Mother 1
*Earthbound
*Wario Land 3
*Wario Land 4
*Bravely Default
**Pokemon Fire Red
**Mother 3 (lol)
**Super Mario Sunshine
**Kirby Air Ride
**Kirby Mass Attack
**Cave Story

htdg'drg;

YES AND IT'S SO AMAZING AND AMAZING AND AMAZINGLY AMAZINGLY AMAZING SO GO TAKE IT NAOOOOOOO.

I'm probably too connected into the older games to like Gates to Infinity. Overall, the game feels less intuitive and creative than other games, but that may just be me. At least we all know that Red Rescue Team is forever the best, amirite? *crickets*

Also, what? There's an Explorers of Space...? I've never heard of that, wow. I must be out of my Mystery Dungeon loop. Explorers of Sky is ultimately better because SHAYMIN.

I don't have Mother 3 with me.:psycho: I'd have to wait until I go home in a couple of weeks, and I'll be knee deep in Xenoblade by then. Trust me, I want to.:(

And I'm playing Cave Story, but I'm going through it very slowly.

EDIT:
Yes. Igglybuff looks up to this Armaldo as a huge hero, but it turns out he's a crook who's been using Igglybuff, if I recall. But Igglybuff essentially opens Armaldo's eyes and he tells Igglybuff to go on to be a hero. My memory is very foggy... I just remember Igglybuff crying when Armaldo was taken away.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
I've downloaded like 20 games just now and I'm going to get through all of them during Summer Break so I'm kind of hyped. :)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Explorers of Space is actually called Explorers of Darkness, I own both so I can confirm this. I think people keep on thinking of Palkia and Dialga and mistaking the name. Those games were so memorable story wise and now I want to play them again, haha.
My teams
Blue Rescue Team: Pikachu with Charmander
Explorers of Time: Pikachu with Squirtle
(When I was younger I used to repeat the quiz several times to get Pikachu, tho I did get it on my first time in Blue Rescue Team.)
Explorers of Darkness: Cyndaquil with Chikorita
Explorers of Sky: Squirtle with Cyndaquil
(My sister owned Darkness s that's why I owned both, after she stopped playing her copy she gave it to me.)

Anyways, did you guys hear about Etrian Mystery Dungeon, while it isn't Pokemon, it's made by the creators of MD, Chunsoft, and it looks cool. Will definitely get it cause I like the gameplay in the MDs. Though in this one it's more RPG like, with choosing classes for your party members.

Shaymikyu

Explorers of Space is actually called Explorers of Darkness, I own both so I can confirm this. I think people keep on thinking of Palkia and Dialga and mistaking the name. Those games were so memorable story wise and now I want to play them again, haha.
My teams
Blue Rescue Team: Pikachu with Charmander
Explorers of Time: Pikachu with Squirtle
(When I was younger I used to repeat the quiz several times to get Pikachu, tho I did get it on my first time in Blue Rescue Team.)
Explorers of Darkness: Cyndaquil with Chikorita
Explorers of Sky: Squirtle with Cyndaquil
(My sister owned Darkness s that's why I owned both, after she stopped playing her copy she gave it to me.)

Anyways, did you guys hear about Etrian Mystery Dungeon, while it isn't Pokemon, it's made by the creators of MD, Chunsoft, and it looks cool. Will definitely get it cause I like the gameplay in the MDs. Though in this one it's more RPG like, with choosing classes for your party members.
Oops, must have been thinking of Time and Space being treated as opposites that generation because of Dialga and Palkia.

I haven't tried Etrian Mystery Dungeon yet. Maybe I'll put it on my radar.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Oops, must have been thinking of Time and Space being treated as opposites that generation because of Dialga and Palkia.

I haven't tried Etrian Mystery Dungeon yet. Maybe I'll put it on my radar.
I just realized it came out only 3 days ago also. *Goes to 3ds eshop to buy it*

Shaymikyu

I just realized it came out only 3 days ago also. *Goes to 3ds eshop to buy it*
I'm still waiting on more eShop money for themes and to save for the Smash DLC.

And I need my XENOBLAAAAAAAAAADE.:cry: Which I have a physical copy preordered, so I won't get it on eShop.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm not against piracy when it comes to the Mother franchise. Earthbound was only available in Europe as of 2013 (And I bought it day one) and it's the only way I can play Mother 1+3 and actually understand them. :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Anyone noticed how much this thread has quietened down? Looks like we're at just a slightly lower active rate than I expect it will be when Lucas' meta is being figured out and peeps are going to tournaments with him. This thread will probably light on fire whenever something about him gets announced all the way up until June, though. :p

Mother piracy I think most people can understand. Piracy is something that is more complex than it seems. There are many products out there in the world that people don't plan to ever buy, so piracy allows for those people to play it, freak out at how much they like it (hopefully) and then go to their friends and tell them how awesome it is and how they should buy it to avoid x, y and z bugs which are the only real dampers on the pirated game.

In fact, I remember a game that was released a few years ago, then pirated BY the company that released it and actually made into a pirate-themed version which had a game-breaking bug half-way through, allowing players to experience/enjoy the game for free and if they liked it, they were encouraged to buy it. In a sense, piracy allows a 'taste-test' of a product.

The biggest issue with it is you can't control hackers. Some people can really crack a game, and if it's out of your control then the 'taste-testing' aspect of it can be lost (Mother 3 worked literally just as well as the regular game would have, for instance, so the only reason to buy the original if it were released in English with the same translation would be just to have a physical, 'legitimate' copy of the game, which certainly does interest some people but just not enough) and especially if you're a smaller company that can really run you into the ground if a game gets replicated easily.

It's no lying that a lot of people use piracy just to get a free game because they 'can', but as I mentioned it's a bit more complex than 'all pirating is useless/bad'. And as bad as it is, it is kinda nice that people with money issues can enjoy some games more easily. But that's not a view I expect would otherwise get much sympathy for obvious reasons. :p

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897

*Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
*Pikmin 3
*Wind Waker HD
*Mother 1
*Earthbound
*Wario Land 3
*Wario Land 4
*Bravely Default
**Pokemon Fire Red
**Mother 3 (lol)
**Super Mario Sunshine
**Kirby Air Ride
**Kirby Mass Attack
**Cave Story

htdg'drg;

Kid Icarus: Uprising is honestly such an amazing game. I don't remember how well received it was by critics but I loved it so much and it's where my love for Palutena comes from. OMG Pokemon XD and Super Mario Sunshine I would kill to have HD remakes for. Also Pikmin 3 is top notch :)

Last edited:

1/128

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chrono-Omega
Hey all! Sorry for not posting very frequently, but I'm trying to avoid any spoilers, even though you guys use the tag. Once I finish Mother 3 I'll post more often. I'm near finishing Chapter 5; it shouldn't take a lot of time.

rp17000

Smash Cadet
NNID
rp17000
Once I finish Mother 3 I'll post more often.
That's how I feel. Except I want to finish Earthbound first and then start Mother 3 over again.... but I will have no free time for the next three weeks until finals are over, sooo...

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I just remembered this from AiB.

such a nice feeling when something like this happens.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wind Waker HD is freaking beautiful and you should all play it.

Like actually it's hard to say I've been more immersed in a world. It's so beautiful, so light and airy and open and you just feel like cruisin' on the water for aaaaaagggeessss. :p

Drippy

Smash Ace

Like actually it's hard to say I've been more immersed in a world. It's so beautiful, so light and airy and open and you just feel like cruisin' on the water for aaaaaagggeessss. :p
It's definitely the next Wii U game I'm getting along with Yoshi's Wooly World. Both the games simply just look fantastic and I'm excited to play them when I have the money (and of course when Wooly World comes out...) Though at the same time I really want to buy a GBA / DS so I can play some GBA games instead of emulating them. =/

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Ugh now I wanna play wind waker, but I still need to finish Majora's Mask, god I should really get around to that but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

I played it through completely twice. Like, that almost never happens. I enjoyed it that much.

1/128

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chrono-Omega
I finished the chapter yesterday. It was pretty fun, I admit. I Got the Shield Snatcher and the Mystical Shoes, and everything was alright until Mr. Genetor. I didn't die in the battle, but at the end only Lucas and Boney survived with 2 HP ( I bought only one Rubber Cape). Oh, and my curses worked on Fassad! Thanks game!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So my friend was with me when I played Mother 3 for two days, and he didn't know that Fassad was evil. (He knows pretty much every major plot detail in M3 though.) Needless to say, hilarity ensued when we played chapter 3.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I finished the chapter yesterday. It was pretty fun, I admit. I Got the Shield Snatcher and the Mystical Shoes, and everything was alright until Mr. Genetor. I didn't die in the battle, but at the end only Lucas and Boney survived with 2 HP ( I bought only one Rubber Cape). Oh, and my curses worked on Fassad! Thanks game!
Ahhh yes, he was super difficult for me as well. I think I survived it with everyone but only barely, iirc the turn I got him was the turn I just about ran out of steam on (no items or PP really).

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Playing Assassin's Creed 4 feels the same and I'm starting to love the ocean in that game more than WindWaker. Before it, I thought it wasn't even possible to top it's environment.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Wind Waker did such a good job with the ocean, like... so much ocean, but I never got bored sailing. I would autopilot sometimes, but I didn't really mind it at all.

Overall though... 5.6 out of 10, too much water. Sorry Nintendo :(

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I wasn't even upset, there were so many islands and little ocean bits that I didn't get bored. It probably doesn't have quite the same content as TP, OoT or SS but I think it's prtty good anyway and the scenery more than makes up for it. I can sit as TL on Windfall Island for ages in a nice place just listening to the music and enjoying the scenery, that's how much I love it. :D

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Wind Waker did such a good job with the ocean, like... so much ocean, but I never got bored sailing. I would autopilot sometimes, but I didn't really mind it at all.

Overall though... 5.6 out of 10, too much water. Sorry Nintendo :(
Wind Waker HD. Wii U. Swift Sail.
It makes you sail really fast and basically cuts sailing time down by half. Really a game changing item in my opinion.

Top Bottom