• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
i thought we all knew the leak is real also this makes the leak more credable but dosent exactly confirm the other characters not shown and you guys saying lucas is cut already your to accepting

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
i thought we all knew the leak is real also this makes the leak more credable but dosent exactly confirm the other characters not shown and you guys saying lucas is cut already your to accepting
Oh come now. More credible but doesn't confirm the others? How would you, as just a fan and not related to Nintendo, go about getting your hands on just one official render of a character (Shulk) and then faking an enormous batch of other renders, screenshots, even a gameplay video? I think we can be pretty sure of all of this stuff being legit now.

Moreover, there's a difference between being too accepting and being realistic. If there is still something that can be done about it and you give up, yes, you might be too accepting.
This is not the case. Lucas just seems less and less likely now, and that's a fact.

Apparently, there are still a few character slots left that weren't leaked, but in all honesty, there are plenty of characters that seem more likely than Lucas right now.
I'm thinking for example of Ice Climbers, a Metroid rep (Ridley), a Donkey Kong rep (Dixie?), a Kirby rep, more Zelda and Pokémon to keep those series similar to Mario in representation ( both have 5 compared to Mario's 7 counting the doctor), maybe even Wolf is more likely than Lucas considering Starfox's upcoming game.

I'm not very happy about it and I'm certain you aren't either, but the blonde PK kid has a lot running against him right now, and we should recognize that.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In all honesty, my reaction to Lucas's apparent axing is two-fold.

On the one hand, with custom moves now available to us, Lucas doesn't really have any special moves that Ness can't potentially wield himself. PK Flash can easily be customised to be faster and have freezing properties, PK Fire can replace chip damage for knockback, PK Thunder gain piercing properties at the expense of power and PSI Magnet sacrifice range for grabbing tactics. From that perspective, I can see why he wouldn't be a top priority character - short of having his entire array of special moves altered significantly, he doesn't really do anything that Ness can't potentially achieve with his custom moves.

On the other hand, Lucas's true potential comes into play - at the very least, as I feel when I'm playing as him - when we analyse and assess his smash moves. With the exception of possibly his regular combos and side smash, his fighting style is almost entirely different: whereas Ness wields his trusty baseball bat and yo-yo, Lucas relies more on his latent PK powers. The different is clear with moves like PK Heart (one of my absolute favourite smash moves, both in terms of its effect and its name) and his infamous "finger guns". This is something that you can't replicate with any amount of move customisation: it's something well and truly unique to Lucas. I'd argue that, in the grand scheme of things, smash moves are more integral to a character than their special moves; it represents the essential fiber of their fighting style and, let's be honest, you're going to be relying on them a lot more than anything else.

Overall, I'd say that Lucas isn't the most deserving cut; yet I'd argue that he isn't the least deserving, either. I'll be sad to see him go, especially considering Mother is a tragically undervalued series in the first place, but I will be stoic and see what the future may hold in the little man's stead.

I think that's what he would want. Goddspeed, little fellow, godsspeed.

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
PK Love is indeed used in a lot of his attacks.

Short story... this morning my computer started making sword noises, woke up and bounced outta bed..

Many of you know, Shulk got revealed today, a lot of people woke up or happened to be watching, and was like "Oh boy, Shulks here, the leak was legit!"

For me though, I woke seeing a Tombstone with Lucas' name on it. R.I.P. my main man.
Boy never have I woke up to a trailer just to be instantly happy/sad at the same time.

That one spot beside Ness is my last hope, hopefully you can be more important than somebody else, after all, you're the only 2nd rep to Mother, but with Nintendo disregarding us (except for Earthbound, maybe we'll get Mother 3 someday...) and the E3 joke, I just don't see it to be very surprising they'd cut him too.

Of course, I think it's very stupid, especially with someone like Lucas, considering how he was supposed to replace Ness, it bugs me and I really hope that roster screen is fake, something tells me it COULD be, and the only things real were the videos, but that's more than likely not the case.

I'd be happy in the future to see Mother 3 released with Lucas (And potentially another Mother rep) rejoining Smash.

Until then, there's a LOT going against him... not to mention that Gematsu leak is actually still around, I mean think about it, Chrom was planned, but Robin replaced him. That leak still has some credibility.

Seems like our boy can't get a break from his tragic game, or even Smash.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Oh come now. More credible but doesn't confirm the others? How would you, as just a fan and not related to Nintendo, go about getting your hands on just one official render of a character (Shulk) and then faking an enormous batch of other renders, screenshots, even a gameplay video? I think we can be pretty sure of all of this stuff being legit now.

Moreover, there's a difference between being too accepting and being realistic. If there is still something that can be done about it and you give up, yes, you might be too accepting.
This is not the case. Lucas just seems less and less likely now, and that's a fact.

Apparently, there are still a few character slots left that weren't leaked, but in all honesty, there are plenty of characters that seem more likely than Lucas right now.
I'm thinking for example of Ice Climbers, a Metroid rep (Ridley), a Donkey Kong rep (Dixie?), a Kirby rep, more Zelda and Pokémon to keep those series similar to Mario in representation ( both have 5 compared to Mario's 7 counting the doctor), maybe even Wolf is more likely than Lucas considering Starfox's upcoming game.

I'm not very happy about it and I'm certain you aren't either, but the blonde PK kid has a lot running against him right now, and we should recognize that.
hey im just trying to look on the bright side you want to do that do it i have faith in sakurai

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Were going to get him as DLC, I'm sure of it.
If there's DLC, Lucas is a strong contender for day one release.

Rest assured, no force on earth or beyond will keep me from purchasing him and getting my PEE-KAY FREEEEZE PEE-KAY STAAAAH-STAAAAWM back on.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
If there's DLC, Lucas is a strong contender for day one release.

Rest assured, no force on earth or beyond will keep me from purchasing him and getting my PEE-KAY FREEEEZE PEE-KAY STAAAAH-STAAAAWM back on.
what if ness has those?

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Then I will dream sweet dreams of Lucas having his own unique moveset.

A man can dream, though. A man can dream.
your dream might be reality and better

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
if lucas is cut i will focus my anger on the one responsible.....that duck hunt dog

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
hey im just trying to look on the bright side you want to do that do it i have faith in sakurai
Whoa now, I didn't say I didn't have faith in Sakurai! I still believe Sakurai is an excellent game designer, even if he tends to carry over a lot of ideas from previous titles he worked on, and I do have faith that this game will be very good in the end. "Having faith in Sakurai" implies you trust him to do the 'right thing' or what would be best for the game, right?
However, the right things for the game don't necessarily include Lucas. Different people would consider different things "better for the game".

I know you want to look on the bright side, and that's fine. The world needs optimists, and this thread is no different. But things are getting bleak for Lucas, that much we all have to admit. Just be careful you don't become unrealistic instead of being optimistic. Lucas' chances to still make it are there and they are not insignificant, but claiming he 'could never be cut' for example would be unrealistic.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Whoa now, I didn't say I didn't have faith in Sakurai! I still believe Sakurai is an excellent game designer, even if he tends to carry over a lot of ideas from previous titles he worked on, and I do have faith that this game will be very good in the end. "Having faith in Sakurai" implies you trust him to do the 'right thing' or what would be best for the game, right?
However, the right things for the game don't necessarily include Lucas. Different people would consider different things "better for the game".

I know you want to look on the bright side, and that's fine. The world needs optimists, and this thread is no different. But things are getting bleak for Lucas, that much we all have to admit. Just be careful you don't become unrealistic instead of being optimistic. Lucas' chances to still make it are there and they are not insignificant, but claiming he 'could never be cut' for example would be unrealistic.
im ready to accept if he's in or not and of course he can be cut mewtwo was cut due to time constrants so its possible also i dident mean to imply that you have no faith in sakurai

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Let's maybe cast aside the negativity and blues for a moment, dear friends!

Supposing our PK-powered hero was to show up, what hypothetical moveset would you like to see him wielding? Any changes or additions you'd give him, or are you content with him as he is now?

Personally, I'd like to see some unique special moves for him for the reasons that I've already elaborated upon. Not to say that I'm not a fan of his specials as they are now, but I feel as tough there's a lot more potential in Lucas that we haven't seen yet. Perhaps a Final Smash involving PK Love and a special move involving PK Flash in a manner closer to the actual game, i.e. causing status effects?

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

Supposing our PK-powered hero was to show up, what hypothetical moveset would you like to see him wielding? Any changes or additions you'd give him, or are you content with him as he is now?

Personally, I'd like to see some unique special moves for him for the reasons that I've already elaborated upon. Not to say that I'm not a fan of his specials as they are now, but I feel as tough there's a lot more potential in Lucas that we haven't seen yet. Perhaps a Final Smash involving PK Love and a special move involving PK Flash in a manner closer to the actual game, i.e. causing status effects?
I'm really hoping that Lucas keeps his Aerials and tilts, i thought they were pretty good.

As for custom moves, definitely add PK Flash into the mix. Although, they could do Mother fans a favor and make it so that the custom moves represent the different levels of strength that PSI had in the original games. Like say...α (Alpha), β (Beta), γ (Gamma), and Ω (Omega) forms. Like, the stronger forms could have different effects/be cast differently.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet

I think an actual status buffing move would be fitting for Lucas. I never played Project M, but I've heard they've actually incorporated it in his new moveset while overhauling him, so that's pretty nifty. And with Wii Fit's deep breathing and Xerneas' geomancy confirming buffs are already in there, it could certainly work.

One other thing I always thought would be neat is if they gave Lucas' (physical) attacks the little guitar chords used for combo hits in Mother 3, but since the Wind Waker also had sound effects for hits and there seems to be no sign of that in Toon Link, that's probably out of the realm of possibilities.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
All-Star Mode is still locked, people.

He might not be gone yet.

And if he IS gone, then Sakurai is inevitably gonna feel guilty enough and work on a DLC pack / mandatory update that includes him and the Ice Climbers, as well as anyone else the leak cut.

Because c'mon--I'm sure even Sakurai know that there was a lot different about Lucas and Wolf to justify them being separate characters, he just worked on Toon Link and Luigi because they were higher priority atm, then all the close clones like Dr. Mario, Lucina, etc. since they'd eat up little time. But he WILL have them included in the game later, he doesn't really have an excuse since both the 3DS and Wii U are capable of software updates and such.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
All-Star Mode is still locked, people.

He might not be gone yet.

And if he IS gone, then Sakurai is inevitably gonna feel guilty enough and work on a DLC pack / mandatory update that includes him and the Ice Climbers, as well as anyone else the leak cut.

Because c'mon--I'm sure even Sakurai know that there was a lot different about Lucas and Wolf to justify them being separate characters, he just worked on Toon Link and Luigi because they were higher priority atm, then all the close clones like Dr. Mario, Lucina, etc. since they'd eat up little time. But he WILL have them included in the game later, he doesn't really have an excuse since both the 3DS and Wii U are capable of software updates and such.
You make it sound like Sakurai is a human being and not a cosmic deity above and beyond the ethical quandaries of we lesser mortals.

In all seriousness, it's a valid point. Sakurai is a games developer and a marketing enthusiast - it'd make sense that he'd want to appeal to the fans and (possibly) raise awareness for future Mother projects. I'm not holding my breath on it or anything, but he's been known to surprise us in stranger and greater ways before; I'd be quite content if Lucas reappears alongside a new Mother title! ;3

Of course, this is all just idle speculation. The DLC arguments give me a lot of hope for future interests in the roster if our old friends don't reappear in the full character selection screen.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I think an actual status buffing move would be fitting for Lucas. I never played Project M, but I've heard they've actually incorporated it in his new moveset while overhauling him, so that's pretty nifty. And with Wii Fit's deep breathing and Xerneas' geomancy confirming buffs are already in there, it could certainly work.

One other thing I always thought would be neat is if they gave Lucas' (physical) attacks the little guitar chords used for combo hits in Mother 3, but since the Wind Waker also had sound effects for hits and there seems to be no sign of that in Toon Link, that's probably out of the realm of possibilities.
Yeah, in Project M, Lucas's PK Freeze/Neutral Special is Offense Up, and it gives his Smash Attacks a Psychic power boost. If you can connect a hit with any of them, you keep the charge, but if you miss, it disspears. The Guitar chords would be great too.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Maybe we'll get a lucas amiibo that includes him as dlc for smash, and a download for mother 3...well one can dream.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
In all honesty, my reaction to Lucas's apparent axing is two-fold.

On the one hand, with custom moves now available to us, Lucas doesn't really have any special moves that Ness can't potentially wield himself.
Press anything but the "B" button, because Lucas is not remotely similar to Ness outside of all those moves. The only other move that has a borrowed animation is the forward smash, but even that functions differently. The grab, the grab pummel, the 2 getup attacks, the grab throws, the up and down smash attacks, the tilts, and the aerials...

...they're all totally unique to Lucas.

5 attacks doesn't really make a character a clone, and even then, 2 of them function quite differently (PK Shield and PK Thunder), 1 of them fairly differently (PK Freeze vs. PK Flash), and the last is PK Fire, which no one uses.

Then there's also Lucas having a tether recovery while Ness doesn't.

And there's also Project M Lucas, which is an insanely well made character that is more like a 4th space animal than "another Ness".

Regardless...
Were going to get him as DLC, I'm sure of it.
Smash 3DS is basically a demo guys.

Wolf, The Ice Climbers, and Lucas will all be back in Smash WiiU (and almost definitely as Smash 3DS DLC).

No way Reggie can make a MOTHER 3 joke with Lucas cut after all the MOTHER comments and live anything close to a peaceful life.

Trust me, the Masked Man Gigyas hath no fury like the MOTHER fans. They don't lose wars, only star them.

If Lucas isn't in, someone at the very top is losing their job due to mistreatment of a fanbase reacting critical mass with the media...

Starlol9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Starlol9
3DS FC
0130-3074-4775
That Shulk trailer was a bit disheartening but I am still holding on!

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
5 attacks doesn't really make a character a clone, and even then, 2 of them function quite differently (PK Shield and PK Thunder), 1 of them fairly differently (PK Freeze vs. PK Flash), and the last is PK Fire, which no one uses.
PSI Magnet functions very differently between the two (the only similarity is absorbing energy based projectiles)
PK Thunder and Flash/Freeze are distinctly different but do share some aspects.
The only thing both characters PK Fires have in common are the name, the lightning bolt and the element fire, everything else is very VERY different (and PK Fire is a key to Lucas' defensive game, it's used very much).

Anyway, a character's design in a previous game is completely irrelevant to if they should be included in the next for obvious reasons.

Lucas has potential for different specials like PSI Shield, Stat altering PSI ex. Offense Up, and even moves like Refresh.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006

i like project m's b move maybe like a buff and change his pk fire to freeze

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Press anything but the "B" button, because Lucas is not remotely similar to Ness outside of all those moves. The only other move that has a borrowed animation is the forward smash, but even that functions differently. The grab, the grab pummel, the 2 getup attacks, the grab throws, the up and down smash attacks, the tilts, and the aerials...

...they're all totally unique to Lucas.

Then there's also Lucas having a tether recovery while Ness doesn't.

And there's also Project M Lucas, which is an insanely well made character that is more like a 4th space animal than "another Ness".
I fear you may have misinterpreted my sentiments, friend. What I said was that Lucas's special moves are all akin in nature to Ness's and could easily become Ness's custom moves in the new game. Beyond that...

Lucas's true potential comes into play ... when we analyse and assess his smash moves. [H]is fighting style is almost entirely different ... This is something that you can't replicate with any amount of move customisation: it's something well and truly unique to Lucas.
To insinuate that he's a clone is absurd. I'd liken him to a clone about as much as I would Luigi or Wolf. I apologise if my argument was too abstract to follow coherently, but rest assured, I'm the last one to call our boy just another clone. ;3

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
off topic a sec looking at the review trailer on nintendo japan channel there are alot of the off screen things

on topic i want to see a new final smash because he has things to pull from like the dragos and the needles etc..

Tresangor

Smash Rookie
Calling it : Ness will have a Ninten alt.
I think so because of the probably Magicant stage and the Devil Car in Smash Run...so we will have the Mother 1 and Mother 2 kids.

LET'S GO FOR A MOTHER 3 REP SAKURAI, YOU KNOW YOU WANT DLC

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Calling it : Ness will have a Ninten alt.
I think so because of the probably Magicant stage and the Devil Car in Smash Run...so we will have the Mother 1 and Mother 2 kids.

LET'S GO FOR A MOTHER 3 REP SAKURAI, YOU KNOW YOU WANT DLC

I've definitely been wondering if that's a possibility. The issue being that the official clay models of Ness and Ninten are pretty much identical outside of their faces.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Man i miss Lucas already.....and i totally forgot about that damn mother 3 joke made at E3, but now it just feels like a kick in the ball for the mother fans....:sadeyes:

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
:)There seems to be a lot of doubt in this thred. I mean, sakauri has tried to get lucas in the smash series since melee, and he seems to favor mother 3, concidering all the content that was in brawl compared to earthbound. Point saying, lucas probably isn't going anywhere if sakauri can help it.:)

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
I've definitely been wondering if that's a possibility. The issue being that the official clay models of Ness and Ninten are pretty much identical outside of their faces.
The Ninten thread would likely tell you otherwise. They seem to have a sort of fan-made idea of what he should look like, with a striped shirt in different colours (red, white, and blue, if I'm not mistaken).
If that ends up true, it could work (as a Ness alt, not as a separate character of course), but it still isn't an official interpretation, so...

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
The Ninten thread would likely tell you otherwise. They seem to have a sort of fan-made idea of what he should look like, with a striped shirt in different colours (red, white, and blue, if I'm not mistaken).
If that ends up true, it could work (as a Ness alt, not as a separate character of course), but it still isn't an official interpretation, so...
I'm aware of that other interpretation (and I like that look myself), nevertheless, it's not "official", barring a short clip from a MOTHER commercial.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Last edited:

Starlol9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Starlol9
3DS FC
0130-3074-4775
OMG, I heard someone mention that but could never find it, Lucas confirmed and hope for wolf restored

EDIT: Still can't see it in the preview soooo....
I am hoping its real. One of my friends showed me and I've been hyped ever since. There is a chance it could be fake but I dunno...
I kinda want to see if I can find it now...

EDIT: Just looked bit couldn't see it either... :(
Maybe it's when the scene transitions? I think I might be grasping straws though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom