• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Cross: An Advanced Ness Guide

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'd organize this a bit. And maybe make it a little less wordy. It's kind of huge right now and a lot of people are too lazy to read. It might be good to seperate it into basic and advanced techniques and cut it down to simple definition and leave out some of the application if you need to since people are going to figure those out for themselves. Just a suggestion.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I like EB360's way of naming things it makes things that some of us do regularly way cooler and more advance sounding than they seem to people.

I like this List.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Tyr, that's what I was thinking of doing. I will make tl;dr versions of things when I have the time.

lol Ref. Did you use the quick dash attack before i posted it?

I just found out some great new stuff with the footstool that lets you use the nair on a LOT more characters than just a regular footstool. I also found a way to use the Firebound and PK Jump while facing backwards! Really great stuff guys, but I dont have time to post it all tonight, so I'll do it soon.

Today I'll post ledgedashing.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
lol Ref. Did you use the quick dash attack before i posted it?
I did. I used to start a dash then at the end, dash attack. It gets more range.

But I like the name quick dash sounds cooler than "start a dash then at the end, dash attack".

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ref, are you waiting out the initial dash frames so that you dont use an fsmash then use the dash attack?

If so, that's not the QDA. This makes it so that you dont have to wait at all. Try landing and doing a dash attack ASAP without waiting for the initial dash frames to end. You cant, but if you QDA, you can.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Ref, are you waiting out the initial dash frames so that you dont use an fsmash then use the dash attack?

If so, that's not the QDA. This makes it so that you dont have to wait at all. Try landing and doing a dash attack ASAP without waiting for the initial dash frames to end. You cant, but if you QDA, you can.
Ah... I see, Yes i have still done it before you posted it but I like getting more range than the QDA, its pretty cool though doing it from the standing animation. Misread the QDA a bit I guess.

Sorry.

Whats it called doing it at the end of the animation of the dash? I want to hear a cool name for it. :)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Umm... Idk, dash attack? :p

I didn't make up the name though. It's in the "Art of Link" video. I wanna make a video like that one day for Ness :)

_clinton

Smash Master
@_clinton, shooting PKT under you as you fall to stop jugglers

Oh thanks...do you mean using it to hit them with Thunder1...or Thunder2? Because I mostly just fling it into Thunder2...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Just one, however, shooting it under you then ringing it back around into a PKT2 is a great mindgame :)

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Great information, and it keeps coming. Why isn't this stickied yet?

The only way I can seem to get a mod's attention is through AIM. You might try contacting one of them that way. I'm sure no one would have the gall to tell you this shouldn't be stickied if they actually took the time to look.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Thanks Aevin. Sudden hybernation again eh?
Anyways, Im... just afraid of mods >,<
I dont know who to PM either. Someone who'll actually care. Who did you contact?

BTW, my next update will be up in a few minutes. Im testing things right now. It's the footstool rise which allows Ness to do aerials on character out of a footstool that he ouldnt do before. It's gonna be right after short hop footstool to nair.

Masky

Smash Master
Earthbound360, do the footstool sections apply to people who have been footstooled in the air, on the ground, or both?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Im not sure about the air, but the stuff I posted about was on grounded opponents. In the air, Im not sure. I could probably try things like that later.

Masky

Smash Master
Well, I was wondering because I was experimenting with release-grab off of the edge to spike, but I found it was a lot easier to go into a footstool instead. If Ness could do a footstool->bair in the air, it might be a good stagespike

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Just tried it. Bair is a no from testing on Diddy and Wolf. But the nair works. That could be something interesting, but it's ****ing hard.

Masky

Smash Master
Did you try double jumping immediately after the footstool so you dip down a bit? Which direction did nair hit them? I'll probably test some of this out myself later tonight

So many factors probably are involved here, like character fall speed, character height/shape, etc

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah, I'll have to look into that more.
-_-
I thought i was done with the extensive footstool testing. Testing this will only be harder X_X

At least its proving useful to me. I was able to footstool nair a Ness today! And Ness is a VERy hard character to footstool combo since h's so short and bends down so far.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
If you're going to footstool combo, don't be a chump. Go for broke. if you PKT directly out of a footstool, the opponent's footstool lag will be enough for a full PKT2. Sweetspotted. You can even do a dair into a doublejump footstool into pkt2, I've only done it once, because the timing is really nasty, and they can get out of the foostool really easily if they know you're doing for it. The footstool into PKT2 wins though. Always.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ademisk, I dont get what you are saying. I tried footstooling a grounded opponent and PKT2 was just useless. If you use it too fast after the footstool, you instantly hitthem with PKT. If you wait too long they canescape VERY easily. The stun time is defientely not long enough.

I assume you mean in the air, but even then its escapable. When you footstool someone in the air, the ycant tech, but as son as they land, they can get away.

I am talking about direct footstool combos that are inescapable and are done right as you footstool them. If I am getting the wrong picture, describe it a bit more thouroughly.

EDIT: Phew man... I mean geez, what was I thinking?
HUGE update people, biggest one so far. Man, what would you guys do without me?:p

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ah thanks for the video. I put it up along with your list :)

AND I DISCOVERED THE REVERSE LEDGEFIRE!!! Not as hard to do as I once thought it was either.
:joyful:

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Ok one thing, and has probably been asked like 507928 times, but I absolutely hate B-sticking. Quick access to the yo-yo's is pretty crucial for me, so I don't B-stick. But reading this thread, pretty much half of it involves B-sticking. So my question is do you need to change to B-sticking to be truly effective with Ness? Again sorry if it's already been asked but I really don't feel like reading through the thread, especially since i'm tight on time right now.

Oh and thanks to anyone who answers.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
If you HATE it, then you dont have to. I personally reccommend B-sticking, especially if you like PKF which I do. It makes PKF much more useable outside of PK Jumping IMO.

I think smashing is easy enough with the stick which is why Im willng to give it up.

Its up to you really. I just like B-sticking.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I added something under the quick dash attack section and in the dash mechanics section. Its about Pivoting a dash attack and using out of a dash dance. I didn't give it a new section since it's really not anything new, just something made up of old stuff that can be very useful.

Check it out under dashdance, true pivot, and quick dash attack.

Levitas

the moon
EB, just ask youko or someone. Any of the mods, really. If it makes you more comfortable, pm youko, and let him know I told you to, but it'll take a little while regardless (mods are people, too, lol).

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
EB360 I think you forgot to include that when you dash one way and dash the other way, while in the skid/turning animation you can jump out of this and perform an aerial in the direction Ness was turning to. You have to jump once it begins if not you'll do the wrong aerial/ in wrong direction.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ref I dont understand. Explain a bit more please?

Oh yes, the finder thread. I want that stickied also.

EDIT: Lulzy. I found ANOTHER technique that ma make people wanna B-stick :grin:
Update today will be the hothead.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Okay I'll explain a bit more

Ness runs one way lets say forward
___N-->
Then Ness turns back
___<N, skid animation
Once he turns back he will enter the skid animation to turn.
Once its activated jump and ness will get out facing the way he turned to
.......<N
______
From this ness can do any aerial.

Steps

1. Run one direction
2. Push the joystick in the other direction
3. Now ness should enter the skid animation.
4. Now jump right after it has begun.
5. If done correctly ness will now be facing the direction you turned to "other direction"
6. You can perform an aerial from this

The pros to this are that you don't have to wait through the whole skid turn animation and you can attack in the direction you were running from.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Oh, my god, Ref, you HAVE to be doing this on purpose. My brain actually HURTS seeing what you type.

You did not just talk about the Reverse Aerial Rush like nobody's ever heard of it before. IT WAS LIKE THE FIRST THING EVER DISCOVERED BRAWL. And EB360 even has it in this guide!

I..just....I have no words...cept these...and these...and these...and these...and these...and these...and these....and these...and these....and these....and these....and these....

I'm gonna go sit in a corner and have a mental breakdown.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
No need to be so harsh Ademisk.

Yeah Ref, that's old stuff. Its alreadyin the guide under Reverse aerial rush.

Top Bottom