• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivotboost - August 9 Update

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has already been said, but I think that this is determined by the character's traction. Likewise, the lengths of this and each character's Glide Toss should be in proportion to some extent; in other words:

Characters that should have especially Long Pivotboosts:
Luigi
Metaknight
Pit
Marth
Captain Falcon
Sonic

Not necessarily in order though, except for Luigi having a really long one; That I'm sure of.
Thanks for the info, that does makes sense. But so far, Captian Falcon and Marth have something awfully close to horrible Pivotboosts. Captian Falcon has moderate Pivotboost and Marth's Pivot animation takes so long to complete, it leaves him way too vulnerable. I may just need to practice a bit more with Captain, but Marth's got me puzzled.

Link_in_park

Smash Ace
Hey, I could definitely see some nice applications for pivotboosting, especially since it isn't hard as hell to do as what you previously had in this thread. Nice find!

As far as I can tell, ROB (Nice range!), Snake(PB to F-Tilt? NOOO!), Lucas (Not the best, but still appears to give a small boost), and Mario (Not bad at all!) can make use of it.

Link_in_park

Smash Ace
Sorry to double post, but it's sad how few people are looking into this little trick. I'm not a pro or anything, but I'm pretty sure this could have very good uses for certain characters.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
super edit: i thought that showing you would be better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgzVCD3uS4
Nice, so you have experience with this. First, how many people actually used this technique (in tournaments)? I don't attend them as much as I used to, but at least half the roster can make use of this, espcially Samus, and I haven't really noticed any one using it. Second, the input commands, did you have Tap Jump ON or OFF? I found it extremely hard to perform this technique with Tap Jump ON, and it's close to impossible to perform the Reverse Pivotboost with Tap Jump ON. In your vid (at the end), where it says Craqwalk = Pivotboost Old News, how old is this, 'cause it seems like a lot of people are unfamiliar with this. It also seems like this technique is Link specific, when it's not, and I remember a lot of people showing a strong dislike for the name Craqwalk.

D

Deleted member

Nice, so you have experience with this. First, how many people actually used this technique (in tournaments)? I don't attend them as much as I used to, but at least half the roster can make use of this, espcially Samus, and I haven't really noticed any one using it. Second, the input commands, did you have Tap Jump ON or OFF? I found it extremely hard to perform this technique with Tap Jump ON, and it's close to impossible to perform the Reverse Pivotboost with Tap Jump ON. In your vid (at the end), where it says Craqwalk = Pivotboost Old News, how old is this, 'cause it seems like a lot of people are unfamiliar with this. It also seems like this technique is Link specific, when it's not, and I remember a lot of people showing a strong dislike for the name Craqwalk.
A lot of the better Link players use this skill because it allows for better tech chasing and allows you to do a moving downsmash. Tap jump is on.

Even if its not widely known it still makes it old news, SamuraiPanda's new dash cancel technique has been known since brawls release under the name Shellshifting, he thought he had made a new discovery, in fact he didnt. The Second Jump Recovery is the exact same thing, SJR has been known by charizard mains since the games release.

You've shown that this AT is not link specific, but link has the best craq walk in the game. i'm saying this technique is old and you didnt discover it, and in fact you are doing it the wrong way.

Edit: To answer the question "In your vid (at the end), where it says Craqwalk = Pivotboost Old News, how old is this, 'cause it seems like a lot of people are unfamiliar with this."

"its been known and utilized by Link players since brawl's american release."

that is quoting my youtube video, thanks for reading the description

Pitbull

Smash Cadet
Old or new this is a nice little discovery and can easily be put to use. I like to combine it with R.O.B.s Ftilt. It gives him a nice little slide. :)

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
There is absolutely no point in "pivot boosting". You get the same effects by walking then crouching normally. The only thing you added is a pivot, which is just turning around. Because this cannot be used out of a dash, applications will be extremely difficult and most likely useless. Any action you perform out of a "pivot boost" can be done out of a walk. This "technique" is merely a watered down version of WALKING. The "burst" of speed you are talking about is merely the distance you cover from WALKING. Any practical use you can get from this in an actual match is to make your opponent think, "Why the heck are they wasting their time doing that when they could just walk to achieve the same results?!". Maybe then you can punish them for thinking. Oh wait, most smash players are capable of thinking AND playing at the same time!

tl;dr: Walking>"pivot boost"

I am a Samus main. I have tested this before flaming this thread.

Sliq

Smash Master
"Ganondorf - Ganondorf has a very small Pivotboost"

COMPLETELY UNSURPRISING. AWESOME.

T_T

Pitbull

Smash Cadet
There is absolutely no point in "pivot boosting". You get the same effects by walking then crouching normally. The only thing you added is a pivot, which is just turning around. Because this cannot be used out of a dash, applications will be extremely difficult and most likely useless. Any action you perform out of a "pivot boost" can be done out of a walk. This "technique" is merely a watered down version of WALKING. The "burst" of speed you are talking about is merely the distance you cover from WALKING. Any practical use you can get from this in an actual match is to make your opponent think, "Why the heck are they wasting their time doing that when they could just walk to achieve the same results?!". Maybe then you can punish them for thinking. Oh wait, most smash players are capable of thinking AND playing at the same time!

You know you don't have to crouch to do this right? By the way that "boost of speed" is actually a nice smooth slide that can be used to throw yourself and a smash attack at the enemy much like the wavedash did in SSBM.

Link pulls it off nicely in this video posted by ArkiveZero.

D

Deleted member

yea because a moving dsmash or fsmash is totally useless right? this move is not useless at all, just because you have only found a few implementations from it doesnt mean that its useless. watch the very end of the video i uploaded for this very thread. that technique works wonders on low % foes.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
This is pretty nifty, although, wouldn't a standard pivot smash be better in most situations? Granted, you can use tilts out of the Pivotboost, but honestly, if I'm going for punishing then I'd want more bang for my buck.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman

Nope, close but no cigar. When you chain Pivotboosts together, you get an increase in speed, no matter which character it is. However, Samus benefits well from both reverse and normal Pivotboosts, as shown slowly in Demo 3, :13 - :19, and in Demo 4, :32 - :38, which increases her speed when performed consecutively, offense/defense when using a Reverse Pivotboost to avoid an attack and using the spacing gained to your advantage, and mindgames. Pit also gains from the Pivotboost and Reverse in the same manner as Samus. Walking and crouching is actually what got me started on this whole thing. Now, I realize that anything done out of a Pivotboost can be done out of a walk, however there are a few more advantages that come out of Pivotboosting, compared to walking. This technique is not to be abused, this is not Melee 2.0.

You know you don't have to crouch to do this right? By the way that "boost of speed" is actually a nice smooth slide that can be used to throw yourself and a smash attack at the enemy much like the wavedash did in SSBM.

I'm not in a place to re-test this, but, without crouching, there will be no boost in speed. If I'm not mistaken, if you were to Pivot then walk, you would be cutting off the boost too early. The only other way to take advantage of the boost in speed is to attack by tilting, or smashing (or grabbing). I think of the crouch as a "neutral state." Since you can't return to "stand still" position without killing the boost, the crouch is the closest thing "stand still".

This is pretty nifty, although, wouldn't a standard pivot smash be better in most situations? Granted, you can use tilts out of the Pivotboost, but honestly, if I'm going for punishing then I'd want more bang for my buck.
You know what, now that you mentioned it, in some of those Demo's, like Pit for example, I was actually performing somewhat of Pivot Smash. However in the Meta-Knight vid, I would Pivotboost, then F-Smash. I'll have to re-test Pit to see if there is a difference and try to keep that in mind for future testing.

D

Deleted member

I'm not in a place to re-test this, but, without crouching, there will be no boost in speed. If I'm not mistaken, if you were to Pivot then walk, you would be cutting off the boost too early. The only other way to take advantage of the boost in speed is to attack by tilting, or smashing (or grabbing). I think of the crouch as a "neutral state." Since you can't return to "stand still" position without killing the boost, the crouch is the closest thing "stand still".

0:42

the sliding motion is possible because of the boost of speed you get while sliding out of the craq walk

crouching is useless

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I really can't see the point in this. Why don't you just run or dodge? It's too little too useless.

The point of Wavedashing was that you move quickly. Samus walks faster than she pivotboosts.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman

0:42

the sliding motion is possible because of the boost of speed you get while sliding out of the craq walk

crouching is useless

Crouching isn't useless. It's great for d-tilts, *getting to the other side of the stage faster than if you were to walk, **and is a great approach to opponents who camp. * I'm going to use your example, the one at :42, Pivot -> Smash or Pivot -> Tilt WILL SLOW YOU DOWN compared to crouching after each Pivot, which allows you to chain the boosts together further increasing your speed. Watch the first 8 seconds of this Demo. Keep in mind that this when I first began my research. **Watch at around :55.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties

This "nice smooth slide" you refer to is the momentum gained from WALKING. Performing this trick+attacking has the same effects as walking+attacking. However, because walking is easier to do, you're likely to perform your intended attack sooner.
yea because a moving dsmash or fsmash is totally useless right? this move is not useless at all, just because you have only found a few implementations from it doesnt mean that its useless. watch the very end of the video i uploaded for this very thread. that technique works wonders on low % foes.
You cannot attack in the middle of a pivot boost. If you did you would probably be attacking in the wrong direction since you have to rotate the control stick to perform a pivot boost. However, you CAN attack at any time during a walk, and it's also easier to change directions. The only thing I have found that a pivot boost can do better than a walk is to: get closer to your foe and then use a dtilt facing the wrong direction. Fun. =_=
Nope, close but no cigar. When you chain Pivotboosts together, you get an increase in speed, no matter which character it is. However, Samus benefits well from both reverse and normal Pivotboosts, as shown slowly in Demo 3, :13 - :19, and in Demo 4, :32 - :38, which increases her speed when performed consecutively, offense/defense when using a Reverse Pivotboost to avoid an attack and using the spacing gained to your advantage, and mindgames. Pit also gains from the Pivotboost and Reverse in the same manner as Samus. Walking and crouching is actually what got me started on this whole thing. Now, I realize that anything done out of a Pivotboost can be done out of a walk, however there are a few more advantages that come out of Pivotboosting, compared to walking. This technique is not to be abused, this is not Melee 2.0.
No, actually there is no increase in speed. You're merely re-using the momentum gained from initial walking speed. Unless a character has a faster initial walking speed than their normal walking speed (doesn't this sound a lot like fox-trotting?), only then will they get a boost in speed. Samus MAY be an example of this, but crouching slows this down enough to make me think that walking is still more effective. Pivot boosting requires more finger motion than walking (a rotation of the control stick with tap-jump off). So if an attack was dodge-able via pivot boosting, it is very likely that the same attack can be avoided by walking.

As a Samus main, tap-jump will be required for my gameplay in order to screw attack out of shield. If pivot boosting does have such a significant use, is it worth sacrificing one of Samus' only defensive options OoS?

I have found no advantages that pivot boosting has over walking. Care to list some?

Samus' crouch dodges none of the game's projectiles other than Yoshi's egg toss and G&W's chef. The former can be aimed to hit Samus, and the latter can be used repeatedly. Oh and maybe a poorly aimed yellow pikmin toss from Olimar.

D

Deleted member

You cannot attack in the middle of a pivot boost. If you did you would probably be attacking in the wrong direction since you have to rotate the control stick to perform a pivot boost. However, you CAN attack at any time during a walk, and it's also easier to change directions. The only thing I have found that a pivot boost can do better than a walk is to: get closer to your foe and then use a dtilt facing the wrong direction. Fun. =_=
you can attack in the middle of a pivot boost, but the longer you wait the longer the slide is. you DON'T rotate the control stick, you tap left, tap right then do an action, its no slower than doing a dash dance to JC'd upsmash with fox.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
A nice little bump for minor update. I've found an alternate way of pivotboosting. This method makes performing the reverse pivotboost way easier than doing it the other way. Check OP for details.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
I'm going to agree and disagree with ArkiveZero(once again). I agree that pivotboosting is widely used and very useful, yet I disagree on that crouching is useless.

Crouching may be useless in a forward pivot boost, yet crouching is very useful for doing a reverse pivot boost (To do a reverse pivot boost just tilt backwards). Without the crouch, when doing a reverse pivot boost, you may not slide backwards enough to avoid an attack, however, adding the crouch increases the speed and the distance of the slide, which will help you avoid the attack. I made a video on this, it's on my sig and i'll put a link here. I named the reverse pivotboost+crouch something else(Rev Smooth Boot). Just watch from :55 on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flJP69Ne-Dk

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
A nice little bump for minor update. I've found an alternate way of pivotboosting. This method makes performing the reverse pivotboost way easier than doing it the other way. Check OP for details.
Thats nice, since my controller is already arranged that way because thats how i use it for boost smashes, thanks, before, I was hopeless!

D

Deleted member

I'm going to agree and disagree with ArkiveZero(once again). I agree that pivotboosting is widely used and very useful, yet I disagree on that crouching is useless.

Crouching may be useless in a forward pivot boost, yet crouching is very useful for doing a reverse pivot boost (To do a reverse pivot boost just tilt backwards). Without the crouch, when doing a reverse pivot boost, you may not slide backwards enough to avoid an attack, however, adding the crouch increases the speed and the distance of the slide, which will help you avoid the attack. I made a video on this, it's on my sig and i'll put a link here. I named the reverse pivotboost+crouch something else(Rev Smooth Boot). Just watch from :55 on.

if i had a wii right now i would totally shut you down again, but instead i'll use a wall of text

the crouching has NOTHING to do with the momentum you gain from turning

i'm going to post this again so then you can understand that crouching is USELESS

0:22 i make it to the end of the broken wall
0:42 oh did i just move the EXACT same distance at the EXACT same speed? oh wait yes i did, that shuts down your argument that the crouch is needed

you may say "thats the forward pivot boost i already said that it was useless" but let me quote myself

Craq walk = Pivot boost = Smooth boots
All three of these techniques are the exact same because, all three of these techniques share one irreplaceable command, holding back. This is the main reason why all of these techniques work, not because of the crouch, first turn, or landing animations. The only reason why these techniques are performed differently is because they are all used to achieve a different sliding direction.

RSB - a retreating slide
Craq walk - either a retreating or approaching slide
Pivot boost - an approaching slide

we all know that the craq walk and pivot boost move you at the same distance/speed, same goes for the RSB. The only thing about the RSB's distance is that you have to let the slide fully finish, which is where even i go wrong sometimes, but it still moves you at the exact same way.

So if RSB = craq walk = pivot boost and the craq walk and pivot boost don't need the crouch, then neither does the RSB

@"Update"

wtf did you change? you're still telling people how to do it wrong, there isnt any data on how far characters slide from best to worst and you're still telling people that the crouch is needed.

If you are trying to help, good, swallow your pride and admit when you're wrong. But if you're going to sit there and advertise false information, do yourself a favor and let this thread die.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
if i had a wii right now i would totally shut you down again, but instead i'll use a wall of text

i'm going to post this again so then you can understand that crouching is USELESS

0:42 oh did i just move the EXACT same distance at the EXACT same speed? oh wait yes i did, that shuts down your argument that the crouch is needed

you may say "thats the forward pivot boost i already said that it was useless" but let me quote myself

All three of these techniques are the exact same because, all three of these techniques share one irreplaceable command, holding back. This is the main reason why all of these techniques work, not because of the crouch, first turn, or landing animations. The only reason why these techniques are performed differently is because they are all used to achieve a different sliding direction.

RSB - a retreating slide

we all know that the craq walk and pivot boost move you at the same distance/speed, same goes for the RSB. The only thing about the RSB's distance is that you have to let the slide fully finish, which is where even i go wrong sometimes, but it still moves you at the exact same way.

So if RSB = craq walk = pivot boost and the craq walk and pivot boost don't need the crouch, then neither does the RSB

@"Update"

wtf did you change? you're still telling people how to do it wrong, there isnt any data on how far characters slide from best to worst and you're still telling people that the crouch is needed.

If you are trying to help, good, swallow your pride and admit when you're wrong. But if you're going to sit there and advertise false information, do yourself a favor and let this thread die.
Good argument Arkive, however you're misunderstanding the argument I am making. And you actually didn't shut me off, I responded on that post and you never gave back an answer. So instead of repeating what I said, here's a video to clarify things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsarZt3UL7Q

And in regards to your video: the crouch you did is not the SB. The crouch was not timed perfectly to create the added sliding momentum. Just look at my video.

"The Smooth Boot has nothing to do with pivot techniques. It has to do with the phenomenon of Link's sliding momentum due to walking. The crouch captures the momentum from walking and allows Link to slide and then attack."

hopefully you understand now

D

Deleted member

Good argument Arkive, however you're misunderstanding the argument I am making. And you actually didn't shut me off, I responded on that post and you never gave back an answer. So instead of repeating what I said, here's a video to clarify things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsarZt3UL7Q
nice video, but the reverse pivot slide wasn't performed correctly, as i've already said its a little trickier to pull off, but you should slide just as far as the rsb

And in regards to your video: the crouch you did is not the SB. The crouch was not timed perfectly to create the added sliding momentum. Just look at my video.
thats because you crouched when the slide ended and you took a step forward, i crouched during the slide and held down. The crouch doesn't affect the slide at all as my video proves clearly. what you're doing is hiding the extra steps that link is actually taking with a crouch. so technically you slide and walk out of it, which creates the extra distance. the crouching still has nothing to do with the slide, you might as well walk out of it.

hopefully you understand now

create a video of link using the sb the entire length of FD, and over lay a clip of link doing his full walk (tilt the control stick all the way.) that would prove me wrong when it comes to the crouch being faster than the walk and i will say my bad when that happens.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
nice video, but the reverse pivot slide wasn't performed correctly, as i've already said its a little trickier to pull off, but you should slide just as far as the rsb.
Can you make a video of doing the reverse pivot slide? And is it faster than the RSB? If so, then dope that clears things up. Do the same thing as I did, start with Link's back foot at the left tip of the Diamond in FD. Then do the reverse pivot slide + Fsmash. Note where Link's backfoot lands. (In the case of the RSB, the back foot ends inside the first left arrow slightly in front of the tip.)

thats because you crouched when the slide ended and you took a step forward, i crouched during the slide and held down. The crouch doesn't affect the slide at all as my video proves clearly. what you're doing is hiding the extra steps that link is actually taking with a crouch. so technically you slide and walk out of it, which creates the extra distance. the crouching still has nothing to do with the slide, you might as well walk out of it.

That's what I was originally trying to say, the crouch has no effect on the slide created by the pivot boost. What I did is a combination of the pivot boost + the SB(which is able to occur quickly after the slide).

The crouch does have an effect on the walking slide. Without the crouch, Link will walk and then slide a minimal distance. However, with the crouch, Link will slide further. I'll make a video(once i get some more mini DVDs) to show this.

create a video of link using the sb the entire length of FD, and over lay a clip of link doing his full walk (tilt the control stick all the way.) that would prove me wrong when it comes to the crouch being faster than the walk and i will say my bad when that happens.
I believe the SB is faster but I've been meaning to do that comparison (it's just I haven't figured out how to do it with my crappy video editor (Cyber Link PowerDirector)). But once I do figure out we'll see

Haha I hope you don't hate me. I just think it's hard to be clear with each other because of our wording and interpreting. But on a positive note, I think we're indirectly working together to develop these techniques as well as Link's metagame. So props to that.

Obviously WoodyWiggins still hasn't taken your input.

D

Deleted member

Can you make a video of doing the reverse pivot slide? And is it faster than the RSB? If so, then dope that clears things up. Do the same thing as I did, start with Link's back foot at the left tip of the Diamond in FD. Then do the reverse pivot slide + Fsmash. Note where Link's backfoot lands. (In the case of the RSB, the back foot ends inside the first left arrow slightly in front of the tip.)
i dont have a wii lol....

Haha I hope you don't hate me. I just think it's hard to be clear with each other because of our wording and interpreting. But on a positive note, I think we're indirectly working together to develop these techniques as well as Link's metagame. So props to that.
no hard feelings here, i actually want you to prove me wrong so then i don't look like the only person on the link boards that can actually gather data lol....

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman

RSB - a retreating slide

@"Update"

How am I telling people that they're doing it wrong, like your way is set in stone? Using the control stick slows people down because they have to tap the control in the opposite direction before going foward. When using the C-Stick, you only have to tap one button to pivot, allowing you to pivot without compromising speed. The points you made with your vid at :22 and :42 are invalid. At :42 you F-tilt. Do that again without attacking and what do you have? A stand still, you stop the moment you do nothing after a Pivot. What if the person doesn't want to F-Tilt (or Smash) after an after a Pivot, but has the intention of approaching their opponent? Chrouching after a Pivot allows the player to carry their momentum in a near neutral state, allowing them to do much more than Tilt or Smash.

Your technique is what actually what got me started on this whole thing. I was actually maining Falco at the time and I was trying recreate the Tekken Wavedash. I noticed that the crouching had an effect on falco's speed. I began to play with the control scheme and by turning tap jump off, I discovered that when I rotated the control stick 315 degrews, Falco slid backwards and reverse his stance ending in a crouching position (reverse Pivotboost). Checkout the very first Demo I did and you'll see what I'm talking about. Through more expirementaion I found that when I slowed the rotation down, I could do the roughly same thing, except a pivot happens, and I could go further(normal Pivotboost). I was convinced (and still am) that this was totally different from the pivotslide becasue after the pivot an attack was necessary. The pivotboost went further than the pivotslide and left you in a position were you didn't have to attack, making it different than anything else discovered. The Smooth boots is actually quite nice, but at :53 when you combine with the pivotboost with the SB, it's a pivotboost. At :50 (and in the intro) you were perfoming the Pivot slide. I hope you can see the difference, ArkiveZero aswell. I plan to do more analysis of this technique (and others) in the future. I honestly do think that we are working on the same technique however, I am amazed by ArkiveZero. Coming in my thread, telling me how to do my technique.:)

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
ah dangit arkive haha why don't u have a wii? well then tell me how to do the Rev Pivot slide your way.

D

Deleted member

ah dangit arkive haha why don't u have a wii? well then tell me how to do the Rev Pivot slide your way.
i dont have a wii because im in california lol

my rsb is done by quickly holding back, but you have to make sure you don't dash, its stupid hard to do in a match because you mostly just dash back. once you have the full turning motion you have to make sure that the slide fully finishes or else you'll get a premature slide and it will be mostly useless. but once you get it down its a backwords pivot slide

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jdzQteqiA

your technique right? did you know this in april?

and you are telling people wrong because its way easier to just tap back and hold forward instead of turning the control stick 315 degrees. seriously if you have trouble doing that then you have no coordination whatsoever.
My technique, that was a joke, lighten up, and just because you think it's "easier" doens't mean your way is correct. You must not have read my wall of text. Rotating the joystick was found through expirementation, I doubt if any one, would still do that. I haven't removed it from the OP so that people can compare the two methods. Using the C-stick is more effective. And I did know that in April, I knew that when I started this thread. . . remember? I had a link to the pivot slide thread in the Link boards to compare these two techniques.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
Here's the vid Arkive. Check my SBs OP to read my analysis of the vid.

Comparing Walking and SBing

@Woody Wiggins: are you saying pivot slide is just a pivot and the pivot boost is a pivot plus a crouch? For the time you point out on my second vid (:53 sec., the pivot boost + SB), I do it differently from the way you explain. I do it by doing the pivot slide, then slightly moving forward, than crouching. The crouch acts differently for Link tho because of the walking slide movement. The slide from the crouch is not caused by the pivot, it is caused by the walking movement.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Here's the vid Arkive. Check my SBs OP to read my analysis of the vid.

Comparing Walking and SBing

@Woody Wiggins: are you saying pivot slide is just a pivot and the pivot boost is a pivot plus a crouch? For the time you point out on my second vid (:53 sec., the pivot boost + SB), I do it differently from the way you explain. I do it by doing the pivot slide, then slightly moving forward, than crouching. The crouch acts differently for Link tho because of the walking slide movement. The slide from the crouch is not caused by the pivot, it is caused by the walking movement.
Okay. . .before we go any further, I think we should sort things out. It's kinda like 52 pick up at the moment with all of our techniques. From what I understand:
Pivot slide = pivot -> attack (f-tilt, d-smash, u-smash, f-smash)
Craqwalk = (empty) rar-> [pivot]
Pivotboost= pivot-> crouch
Smooth Boots = [walk] -> crouch
- These are based on findings from when, I believe, these techniques were first introduced
BTW, nice comparison vids, seriously. I think your the man (woman?) who can set this all straight. I didn't realize that when you were combining them (Pb + SB) you were pivot sliding, moving foward, then crouching. I guees that does make a difference. Cool beans.

Top Bottom