• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pits chain grab!

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
HEY!

Recently I've found out pit has a chain grab, (nearest to getting a chain grab in smash 4)(took me enough time to make a thread on it X_X)

Now let me explain : this is similar to Sheiks chain grab tech although i would say pits is more limited and harder to do. the input is :GCLT:>:GCD:>(shorthop):GCY::GCR:>:GCCU:>:GCD::GCD:(fastfall)>:GCLT: and on and on. Now this chain grab so far works on the percentage I've tried BUT some characters are harder then others EG wario/bowser for some reason. you want to try land this at 25% upwards (changes dependent on matchup) and its do able to about 80% or so. It could be good to rack up dmg and so far of what i can tell its not block able if done perfectly. for the 3ds its a hard technique to land so I would advise you to wait to have a GGC if it is so for you (even i cant land my input correctly now :/) *DONT TRY ON A ROSALUMA PLAYER because luma can hit you when in grab so don't do it with luma around :/* other then that GL with it and sorry for the quality. I'm trying to get someone to capture card it :)

Note: You can use fairs instead! i would recommend it on fast falling/heavy characters

Last edited:

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
Can you check out my thread in the Dark Pit fourms, I talk about his DownB a little. BTW nice tech video man. I think I've found a second reflector.

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty impressive. Who discovered it?
I'm not sure sure if your talking about me or Kiram but if your talking about the cg, Kiarm said he found it. If your talking about the SideB reflector, I found it....I guess .__.

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
You can also check out my SideB thread in the DP fourms if you want...(shameless self promotion) *cough* *cough*. >.>

Last edited:

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Very useful advice! The only thing I'm concerned about is are you able to quickly do a turnaround grab (If your not facing the character) after you pull the character straight down to the ground with your Uair?

Last edited:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
I discovered this tech my self. Seeing sheiks chain grab and being a pit player i saw up air sometimes drags, its my channel as "Kiram"BazToKibz :)

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Whoops.

Say Kiram, think I could add this to my Pit guide? I'll give you credit of course.
@ LancerStaff LancerStaff Sure thing :) could we have a set lancer ive been dying to vs a good pit main XD

@ Xmark Xmark i will check your post now :)

@ CHOMPY CHOMPY Its odd. . . if you do it precise you can achieve the turn around. but sometimes theres lag when you land or it just might be me being 2 fast xD i need a GCC ;-; Also your name rings a bell. Ive seen it on smash ladder :)

Last edited:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
@ Xmark Xmark The down b thing that i also found out is totally different and is similar to a gimp like Marios flood

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Is this possible with Pits neutral air? cuz ive seen someone do a fastfall neutral air and follow up with a grab before the opponent could recover.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Theres a certain hit and timing for that hit to drag down so it wont be as easily possible. its a dodgy concept.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Thanks. I will try this on the Wii U version with the Pro Controller, it doesn't sound like a comfortable thing to try on the 3DS.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I discovered this tech my self. Seeing sheiks chain grab and being a pit player i saw up air sometimes drags, its my channel as "Kiram"BazToKibz :)
I think instead of chain grabs, these kind of techniques that abuse multihit aerials will be called "drag grabs" or just drags. They're not true chains anyways, are they?

Though I suppose this'll be filed in the same cabinet as Vectoring/DI.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
I think instead of chain grabs, these kind of techniques that abuse multihit aerials will be called "drag grabs" or just drags. They're not true chains anyways, are they?

Though I suppose this'll be filed in the same cabinet as Vectoring/DI.
As i said its the nearest to getting a chain grab apart from sheik. IT IS Viable but. If they go outward dash instead of jumping to them and if they go up just punish them as being in the air is the worst position. just like melee combos;watch there DI. Also i forgot to mention RAGE EFFECT can effect this combo. If your too high (70%+) it might not work so don't try :)

Judo777

Smash Master
Lots of characters have this already. Anyone with a multi hit aerial that can combo from grab

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
A few do but they cant get into another grab. some are harder to drag down eg fox's fair.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Characters, like Greninja, Sheik, Samus's up airs can also drag the player down, if you manage to hit them at a specific spot, and fast fall to drag them down. Though, their grabs are not that great, due to their slow and low grab range. Out of the three, I would say Sheik has the best chance of being able to pull off the chain grab.

SharpEdge

Smash Rookie
I always felt a chain like this was possible but JUST out of my reach by a frame.

Glad to see I'm not crazy, just bad at it. Good find!

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord as i said its not really a chain grab but ye. . . btw did u see my message asking for marth dittos?

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
Cool! I did this by accident once, and I haven't been able to replicate it since. I'm gonna keep practicing since I know it's entirely possible now.

Last edited:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Actually, the update mighta killed it. I don't have the dexterity to do it on a 3DS, so I can't really test that myself.
i will try now

Last edited:

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
Actually, the update mighta killed it. I don't have the dexterity to do it on a 3DS, so I can't really test that myself.
Oh lol I completely forgot about the update today... I still have some replays I wanna record so I'm gonna have to wait on the update. Would be cool if it's still there.

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
Well I've tried it on 1.0.4 and it's working great! Even turning around and grabbing works quick enough. Gonna keep practicing so it becomes muscle memory cuz I mess up a lot on the timing, but when I get it right from 20%-80% it's a beautiful thing :)

So far I've been testing it on Fox, Falco, and Ness.

Great find!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well I've tried it on 1.0.4 and it's working great! Even turning around and grabbing works quick enough. Gonna keep practicing so it becomes muscle memory cuz I mess up a lot on the timing, but when I get it right from 20%-80% it's a beautiful thing :)

So far I've been testing it on Fox, Falco, and Ness.

Great find!
That's so great to hear. Can't wait to pull this off myself tomorrow night.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Yep really good to hear :)

EmpoleonArrow

Smash Rookie
What would be a recommended way to practice this? I am having quite a bit of trouble in dragging down the opponent

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What would be a recommended way to practice this? I am having quite a bit of trouble in dragging down the opponent
This is a property some multi-hit moves have. A multi-hit move has several hits before the finishing blow, and the first hits leading up to it will knock the opponent in the direction you're traveling in. This knockback is applied in the hits that lead up to the final hit: ie the hits before the final one of a multihit move have knockback set to follow your direction of travel.

For example, if you move up while using U-air, the next hits will carry the opponent up. Likewise, if you're moving down, the U-air hits in between will carry the opponent down, creating a "spike" down towards the stage, hence why the instructions say fast-fall right after the U-air:
:GCCU:>:GCD::GCD:

This is how the opponent is brought down to the stage, by you moving downwards by fast-falling, and the hitboxes bring the opponent down. Essentially, you hit the opponent with all the hits of U-air except the last one, you make the last hit of U-air miss on purpose.

Aside from Sheik's U-air, other moves like Fox's F-air and Pikachu's B-air can do this too.

On that topic: could someone here try to see if it works with Pit's F-air?

Last edited:

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
This is a property some multi-hit moves have. A multi-hit move has several hits before the finishing blow, and the first hits leading up to it will knock the opponent in the direction you're traveling in. This knockback is applied in the hits that lead up to the final hit: ie the hits before the final one of a multihit move have knockback set to follow your direction of travel.

For example, if you move up while using U-air, the next hits will carry the opponent up. Likewise, if you're moving down, the U-air hits in between will carry the opponent down, creating a "spike" down towards the stage, hence why the instructions say fast-fall right after the U-air:
:GCCU:>:GCD::GCD:

This is how the opponent is brought down to the stage, by you moving downwards by fast-falling, and the hitboxes bring the opponent down. Essentially, you hit the opponent with all the hits of U-air except the last one, you make the last hit of U-air miss on purpose.

Aside from Sheik's U-air, other moves like Fox's F-air and Pikachu's B-air can do this too.

On that topic: could someone here try to see if it works with Pit's F-air?
Yeah it works with his F-air. It's possible to drag down the opponent, and even go for another grab although I think the landing lag hinders it a bit. Haven't been able to get a chain more than 2 grabs yet.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
its more risky tho, also fair has more landing lag i think. @Shadow

To practice, just do up air fast falls. then do it on a training jumping CPU, then stick it in with the grab. ^^

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
its more risky tho, also fair has more landing lag i think. @Shadow

To practice, just do up air fast falls. then do it on a training jumping CPU, then stick it in with the grab. ^^
Yeah you're right. Up Air is much more reliable and it does more damage if most of the hits connect before landing.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I was just wondering if you could. I'm not a Pit main, so I dunno how much applications this might have, but you could use both the fast-fall U-air or F-air in situations when you're offstage to get that downwards trajectory on the opponent. Make it hard to recover and stuff. I imagined this might be effective on Pit, with his great recovery letting him go deep and back onstage.

Last edited:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Hmm well tbh, if the DI outwards i guess you should use fair, but i wouldn't recommend it for now. most of the time it wouldnt drag them down so far off the stage, thats something i shall test later :)

Top Bottom