• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm fine with clones. All I can think of is this.

Melee: *Mostly everyone's fine with clones*

Smash 4: *Everyone complaining about clones*

Smash fans never can make up their mind.

Anyways I'm glad to see Dark Pit here, since I naturally find myself ALWAYS better with clones. (Plus he's pretty awesome)
People criticized the clones in Melee too, though people did enjoy Falco and Dr. Mario.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
People criticized the clones in Melee too, though people did enjoy Falco and Dr. Mario.
I know they did.

but all I mainly see is "Pichu hurts itself blah blah blah worst clone."

I do wish for Pichu to return.

Just so I can piss people off who hated him/her.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The only sore spot at this point should be CloneDorf, but even that at this point feels so normal I'm like whatever.

Like you said, I always loved Doc more both aesthetically and mechanically, so I'm hyped he's back.

Clones are a pretty classic part of fighting game history, an easy way to add more characters and play style variation. People just need to tone down their salt.

If Falco was gone, we would definitely hear complaints rather than "good riddance to another clone".

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Accepting clones is just a matter of time I guess.

But 3 pure clones (4 with Toon Link) for a total of 51 characters, counting each miis is way better than Melee's 6 clones on a 26 character roster.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
The only sore spot at this point should be CloneDorf, but even that at this point feels so normal I'm like whatever.

Like you said, I always loved Doc more both aesthetically and mechanically, so I'm hyped he's back.

Clones are a pretty classic part of fighting game history, an easy way to add more characters and play style variation. People just need to tone down their salt.

If Falco was gone, we would definitely hear complaints rather than "good riddance to another clone".
"Why is Dr.Mario and Dark Pit here waste of a character slot Mewtwo would be better ):<"

Sums up complaints I hear. I just hope they do know they were basically added for extra since I guess developers had extra time to add in some clones.

Oh and seriously some original chacters please. Mewtwo feels way to cliche of a lot of villians...

EDIT: Mainly villians who want to get rid of the human race and keep (enter race or name of species)

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It was really obvious he'd be in after Palutena's trailer, and I'm fine clones as long as they're not the same exact character (Dr. Mario...Mario with a coat...) but I am a tad miffed Dark Pit isn't a bit more different. Doesn't he have a signature staff? Oh well, his victory music is amazing!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It was really obvious he'd be in after Palutena's trailer, and I'm fine clones as long as they're not the same exact character (Dr. Mario...Mario with a coat...) but I am a tad miffed Dark Pit isn't a bit more different. Doesn't he have a signature staff? Oh well, his victory music is amazing!
He has a signature staff which he uses for his Final Smash.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
He has a signature staff which he uses for his Final Smash.
I saw, but that move isn't too unique either. It even has the same camera movements as Zelda and Shiek's FS. Guess I just wish he used the staff for A moves instead of the bow and...I dunno, he could still be a clone, but more Fox-Falco like. I dunno.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'll just say it. I'm upset about Dark Pit being a clone because he had the potential to be much more unique than he ended up, not because I don't like clones, because I actually DO like the clones in Smash. Namely, I love Pichu and Young/Toon Link. Overall as long as his stats differ on a noticable level I'm okay with it. Just wish he was more along the lines of Fox/Falco.

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
No use of dark pit staff though

Pit clone confirmed :(
I knew it.:glare:

Though to be fair, he DOES use the Dark Pit Staff as his Final Smash, which... I guess is cool? Sort of...

Honestly not that miffed about it, no use crying over it now, but I'm incredibly indifferent about all this.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I have a few questions for people who have the game and played Dark Pit.
1. Do you think he will be used much in competitive?
2. Where do you think he will end up on the tier list?
3. Is he better than Pit?
4. What are his customer moves?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I have a few questions for people who have the game and played Dark Pit.
1. Do you think he will be used much in competitive?
2. Where do you think he will end up on the tier list?
3. Is he better than Pit?
4. What are his customer moves?
I'll just tell you what I've heard from like Shofu and Gimr's streams:

1. Yes.
2. Decently high at least? He's got a good moveset, and is overall solid.
3. Yes, he's basically a better Pit. Someone in Shofu's stream actually said the only reason to use Pit over him is if you liked the character. That of course is an opinion after only two days of play, so take it with a grain of salt, but it all sounds promising.
4. Apparently they're literally the same as Pit's.

Also, he apparently has a spike (not sure where, likely on the dair) that Pit doesn't have. So there's that.

BlinkIV

Avenger
1. Definitely
2. At least high A tier, or maybe low S-tier.
3. Maybe. The changes between them aren't THAT apparent. But with Pit's Side-B killing earlier than Dark Pits, Pit has an extra kill move to use earlier. Whereas Dark Pit having to sneak early kills with F-Smash or maybe F-Throw around 120-130
4. I believe so?

Also Banjo, he does have the spike property on the d-air. It's at the middle of the swing now, if you hit on the outside parts, it'll just hit them either up or away.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
1. Definitely
2. At least high A tier, or maybe low S-tier.
3. Maybe. The changes between them aren't THAT apparent. But with Pit's Side-B killing earlier than Dark Pits, Pit has an extra kill move to use earlier. Whereas Dark Pit having to sneak early kills with F-Smash or maybe F-Throw around 120-130
4. I believe so?

Also Banjo, he does have the spike property on the d-air. It's at the middle of the swing now, if you hit on the outside parts, it'll just hit them either up or away.
I don't think he'll be High Tier.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Can I see the quote, I currently don't have access to Neogaf.
This time, it's everyone's favourite clone, Dark Pit! He looks pretty similar to Pit, and unfortunately, based on the customisations of his default special, his custom specials may be quite similar too, but I haven't unlocked all of Pits moves, so who knows!

Neutral Special 1 (Silver Bow)

Acts similarly to Pit's Palutena Bow, hold the button to charge and release to fire, if you hold the button for too long the arrow will automatically be fired, it can also be aimed upwards.

The arrow can be controlled mid flight but the level of control is tiny, only being able to move it up or down ever so slightly.

Charge duration increases the damage dealt and slightly increases the travel distance, doing 3-4% damage at minimum charge and 10-11% at max charge. Knockback also increases as the move is charged, but the increase is negligible.

Neutral Special 2 (Silver Greatbow)

Takes longer to charge, but fires a larger, piercing and more damaging arrow. But, it travels slower and the endlag on the move is increased, so you're more vulnerable.

Does 6% at minimum charge and 13% at max charge, knockback is equivalent to the default neutral special, and you have no level of control over the arrow whatsoever, it will only fly straight.

Seems to be a move more intended for hitting multiple people in FFA, but if you'd prefer a harder hitting arrow, this is for you, just watch out for the easy punish if you miss.

Neutral Special 3 (Control Arrow)

This time the arrow only does 2-3% damage at minimum charge and 6-7% damage at maximum charge, but you have a much greater level of control over the arrow to compensate, allowing you to hit someone from practically anywhere, even under the stage if you need to.

This version seems more like an edgeguarding tool, as you're able to hit them pretty much anywhere offstage, the endlag is still quite large, giving you only about half a second of movement afterwards until the arrow expires, so there's not any really fancy stuff you can do with it, but some people may find it more useful.

Side Special 1 (Electroshock Arm)

Dark pit dashes forward about half the distance of the base platform of Battlefield, Electroshock Arm dragging behind him. For about 80% of the move's duration, the Electroshock Arm has sparks all around it, and if you come into contact with someone during this time, Dark Pit will swing it upwards, doing 10-11% damage and good diagonal knockback.

The startup and dash portion of the move has super armour on it and if you come into contact with a projectile during the dash, the move will activate and reflect the projectile.

The endlag on the move is less when it connects either with a person, a projectile or a shield, if you miss the move, the endlag is considerably greater, especially if you use the move in the air (for example if you do it off the edge of Battlefield, you don't actually regain control until you're outside the screen's view).

The move is very unsafe on shield due to no shieldstun, if you hit a shield it will activate but the hitbox is only active for the first few frames, meaning people can punish you whilst the move looks like it's still active.

If you use it to recover you have to make sure that you're either going to make it towards the stage or that you're going to hit someone, because if you miss, you're in a bad position, but if it hits you'll actually get some extra upwards momentum.

Side Special 2 (Electroshock Uppercut)

This seems like a heavier variant that rewards proper spacing, Dark Pit doesn't dash at all with this move, instead doing a slight back step, the same as the previous move applies in that, if an opponent is in front of you during the time where the Electroshock arm is sparking, the move will activate, doing 13-14% damage and greater knockback.

Same rules apply about endlag when hitting and missing, whether in the air or on the ground, this variation will also completely stall all momentum once used in the air, so you can use it to bait people somewhat, but the amount of time you're going to be vulnerable afterwards means it's not advisable, you're probably going to be punished for it.

The Super Armour on startup and the projectile reflecting properties are all still there.

Side Special 3 (Electroshock Dash)

This move gives the opponent more of an opportunity to react by having more startup frames, but the distance travelled is increased to over half the length of Battlefield if it misses and almost the full length if it hits.

It has the same super armour and projectile reflecting properties as the default Electroshock Arm and it does the same damage and knockback, so it seems like the only differences with this variation is that it's a better recovery but easier to avoid.

Endlag both on hit and miss, both grounded and airborne seems exactly the same.

Up Special 1 (Power of Flight)

Press the input and then either up, left, right, up-left or up-right, to shoot upwards a great distance.

Does no damage whatsoever and puts you into special fall.

Up Special 2 (Explosive Flight)

Pressing the input will cause Dark Pit to crouch for half a second longer than the default and you can only go in three directions (up-left, up and up-right), though you can curve your trajectory somewhat. When you do launch yourself, you'll do 9-10% damage and decent knockback to anyone standing next to you, you can also do the damage and knockback to people you collide with during the first second or so of flight.

The knockback is decent but nothing to write home about (Kills Samus off the side of Battlefield at ~130%), but it could be used for edgeguarding someone that's trying to recover high as it covers quite a bit of vertical distance with a decent hitbox.

Up Special 3 (Tornado Flight)

Very similar to the default Up Special, but sacrifices travel distance for a push back effect, the push back is better than most moves that have it as an effect, but overall, not a very useful variation.

Down Special 1 (Guardian Orbitars)

Two shields appear at either side of Dark Pit, pushing back enemies during the startup and reflecting projectiles, the projectiles get their damage multiplied by around 1.5, so a 10% damage Super Missile will do 15% when reflected. Knockback will probably be multiplied as well but that's harder to test.

It will also block physical attacks whilst the move is active, but you can still be grabbed.

The button can be held to keep your shields up, but the move cannot be held indefinitely.

Down Special 2 (Explosive Guardian Orbitars)

This move loses the ability to reflect projectiles (though it does have super armour on startup) and gains the ability to do damage and knockback.

The button can't be held to keep the shields up, they just appear, flash and then the move ends with the same amount of endlag as the default special.

The damage it does is only 5% and the knockback is pretty standard, one of those moves that you switch to just because the opponent doesn't have a projectile but it's still not going to come in handy that often.

Down Special 3 (Fragile Guardian Orbitars)

This variation increases the damage multiplier of reflected projectiles to 2x (a 10% super missile will do 20% damage when reflected), but they break if they get hit by physical attacks, meaning for the next 2-3 seconds if you try to use the move, the animation will play but no shields will appear.

The shields themselves do no push back or damage, so it's purely a better reflector with the downside of being vulnerable to physical attacks, the move can be held just as long as the default one and it has no super armour on startup.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Kind of interesting how Pittoo uses the Silver Bow but the arrows he fires are the ones from the Darkness Bow instead.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
so

whats the difference between this character and pit?
DP's arrows are faster and more powerful, but harder to control since it's a limited angle. He also has the Electroshock Arm instead of Upperdash, which namely has a angled launch. Other then that, he's generally slower and more powerful then Pit in terms of moves, while movement is equal. Customs appear to be similar. Oh, and he took Zelda's Final Smash.

That'd be the gist of things. Can't really say how much combos differ due to the limited information.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Them's some fluffy lookin' boots.

And wow I never realized the staffs actually have a muzzle for the shot to come out of. I thought they just magically generated shots.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I know many would argue that Dark Pit looks emo but he looks awesome imo. His japanese voice acting is just so good as well, the down taunt is lovely. A cooler Pit.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you guys think the reason he got in was because that it would look weird to see Dark Pit using the Sacred Treasures, and that's how he didn't get to be an alt., but then became a playable character? :troll:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Do you guys think the reason he got in was because that it would look weird to see Dark Pit using the Sacred Treasures, and that's how he didn't get to be an alt., but then became a playable character? :troll:
Lol maybe. It's honestly probably more along the lines of Alph would be weirder as a clone of Olimar (his Pikmin are suddenly randomly different than Olimars even though they're the same kind of pikmin), and i don't think anyone wants 7 clones of Bowser Jr. with slightly varying properties.

And of course #sakuraibias.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@GoldenYuiitusin would you be ok if this thread is locked to maybe start fresh for a new social thread? One that is a social thread post reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom