• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Well that lifts my spirits a bit! do you think you could try them in more detail and spot as many differences as possible?
Maybe! But I didn't play Pit much in Brawl so I'd need to get familiar with him as well haha.

Edit: Ok, my impressions after playing 10 games or so with Dark Pit (and then one with normal Pit).

I must say I prefer Dark Pit over normal Pit. They are obviously clones and are mostly the same but at least Sakurai has managed to ensure that they don't feel the same. Pit is quicker, has aimable arrows and the side-B is weaker, while Dark Pit is stronger, has classic arrows and have a stronger Side-B. Those are the easy-to-see differences, but I felt more subtle differnces - like in the nair, I like Dark Pit's more for some reason.

What sets Dark Pit apart the most imo is that side-B. It feels SO GOOD to nail it, and the knockback is insane. At 100%+ it's also a reliable kill move, which isn't the case with Pit where it didn't even feel like it would kill WFT at 150%. And on that note, it just feels like Dark Pit has overall more ko ability than Pit, and the slight (imo) drop in speed doesn't really weigh that up.

So basically. Initial impression: Dark Pit is a better Pit and might be one of my mains this game, he really feels great to play as in a way I never felt with Pit in Brawl and after a game with him in Smash 4 I just wanted to play Dark Pit again lol.

Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Down special is also the Guardian Orbitars, no idea if they act any different.
Sigh. Really? How hard would it be to change that anyways?
Well I never used Orbitars. Was there anything else they could do with them ala Elctroshock Arm?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Maybe! But I didn't play Pit much in Brawl so I'd need to get familiar with him as well haha.

Edit: Ok, my impressions after playing 10 games or so with Dark Pit (and then one with normal Pit).

I must say I prefer Dark Pit over normal Pit. They are obviously clones and are mostly the same but at least Sakurai has managed to ensure that they don't feel the same. Pit is quicker, has aimable arrows and the side-B is weaker, while Dark Pit is stronger, has classic arrows and have a stronger Side-B. Those are the easy-to-see differences, but I felt more subtle differnces - like in the nair, I like Dark Pit's more for some reason.

What sets Dark Pit apart the most imo is that side-B. It feels SO GOOD to nail it, and the knockback is insane. At 100%+ it's also a reliable kill move, which isn't the case with Pit where it didn't even feel like it would kill WFT at 150%. And on that note, it just feels like Dark Pit has overall more ko ability than Pit, and the slight (imo) drop in speed doesn't really weigh that up.

So basically. Initial impression: Dark Pit is a better Pit and might be one of my mains this game, he really feels great to play as in a way I never felt with Pit in Brawl and after a game with him in Smash 4 I just wanted to play Dark Pit again lol.
Ever hear of arrow looping? Back in Brawl you could make broad loops by spinning the control stick slowly in the desired direction. A little tricky, but can you give it a try? Play on a giant stage and/or on tiny mode (if it's still in?) to make it easier to see.

Sigh. Really? How hard would it be to change that anyways?
Well I never used Orbitars. Was there anything else they could do with them ala Elctroshock Arm?
Centurions had more literal shields, albit for attacking instead of defense. Not exactly fitting for DP, being floating dudes with wings on their heads.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Well, I'm disapointed about the Guardian Orbitars, but I have hope that the Custom Moves will help that. I definitely like his taunts and his victory, and the way the holds his staff before firing the FS, even if it IS just a clone of ZeSheik's, is pretty cool. Still wish he were more original though.

I'm less upset about the clone thing now than I was earlier, especially since I, of all people, rather enjoy the clones themselves if only for their characters over their moves. Plus, Pit/Dark Pit team up is going to be beyond awesomeness.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Whoa his dodge roll sfx are the same as from Uprising. Cool detail. Loving his taunts too.
Wonder why they don't do these video in the training room though. I dont think we're gonna be figuring out how Pittoo differs from Pit without getting a direct side by side comparison, numbers, or Sakurai just spilling the beans.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
"Unless you want to die, step forward!" is what he says for his third taunt, if anyone is interested in knowing at least some of his translated quotes.
Its surprisingly fitting. <3

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
"Unless you want to die, step forward!" is what he says for his third taunt, if anyone is interested in knowing at least some of his translated quotes.
Its surprisingly fitting. <3
Well now we just need Pit to fill his part in the pre-boss battle rallying cry

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So from what we've seen so far, does Dark Pit seem like he is going to be good?

Maikou

Smash Ace
The translation is him most certainly exclaiming death...not defeat. xD Maybe Dark Pit can get away with it?
Well, Japan doesn't exactly care much about using many dark themes in child-oriented games. In Mega Man Zero, animated blood didn't effect the rating in japan, whereas everywhere else said blood was removed to keep the E Rating. And let's not forget Zelda's Ocarina of Time, having bloody walls in the bottom of a freaking haunted well. Adding to that, Majora's Mask. Just, Majora's Mask. Besides that, there's plenty of in-game evidence to support the idea of Smash simply being a friendly tournament. Such as the fighters in the background clapping after losing. And nothing really suggests that Master Hand is evil, besides his laugh which really isn't much to go off of.

Plus, this IS a Shadow The Hedgehog-esque doppelganger character. And besides that, America isn't afraid to edit a few lines to fit better into the English language. Even in a direct translation, NoA would likely change every instance of the word "death" to "defeat" or anything synonymous that doesn't imply death.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, Japan doesn't exactly care much about using many dark themes in child-oriented games. In Mega Man Zero, animated blood didn't effect the rating in japan, whereas everywhere else said blood was removed to keep the E Rating. And let's not forget Zelda's Ocarina of Time, having bloody walls in the bottom of a freaking haunted well. Adding to that, Majora's Mask. Just, Majora's Mask. Besides that, there's plenty of in-game evidence to support the idea of Smash simply being a friendly tournament. Such as the fighters in the background clapping after losing. And nothing really suggests that Master Hand is evil, besides his laugh which really isn't much to go off of.

Plus, this IS a Shadow The Hedgehog-esque doppelganger character. And besides that, America isn't afraid to edit a few lines to fit better into the English language. Even in a direct translation, NoA would likely change every instance of the word "death" to "defeat" or anything synonymous that doesn't imply death.
Let it be noted the "blood" in MMZ was from robots, and that the game was around before the E10 rating existed.

Anyway, KIU got away with quite a bit for an E10 game, like SSB3D here. One or two instances of "death" is easily trumped by the laurel crowns conversation.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Let it be noted the "blood" in MMZ was from robots, and that the game was around before the E10 rating existed.

Anyway, KIU got away with quite a bit for an E10 game, like SSB3D here. One or two instances of "death" is easily trumped by the laurel crowns conversation.
We don't even know if "dirty thoughts" are what actually took place there. Plus, it helps that they vague. Palutena simply says, "naughty". For all we know, Pit was gonna steal a cookie at 3 in the morning or something. The word "naughty" means more than sexual indications you know.

It should also be noted that the "liquid" bursting from them only happens with physical weapons, and also the fact that for all we know that stuff WAS the equivalent of Robot Blood. some of those robots are shockingly alive, you know.

You know what was also around before the E10+ rating? Super Smash Brothers Melee. And THAT game was rated T despite lack of anything to really qualify it as a game for teens and older. Brawl had things like those stupid realistic graphics and Zero Suit Samus, plus that one cutscene with Master Hand and Tabuu.

Look, I don't want to argue and we're getting off the topic. Can we continue this in a conversation?

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
We don't even know if "dirty thoughts" are what actually took place there. Plus, it helps that they vague. Palutena simply says, "naughty". For all we know, Pit was gonna steal a cookie at 3 in the morning or something. The word "naughty" means more than sexual indications you know.

It should also be noted that the "liquid" bursting from them only happens with physical weapons, and also the fact that for all we know that stuff WAS the equivalent of Robot Blood. some of those robots are shockingly alive, you know.

You know what was also around before the E10+ rating? Super Smash Brothers Melee. And THAT game was rated T despite lack of anything to really qualify it as a game for teens and older. Brawl had things like those stupid realistic graphics and Zero Suit Samus, plus that one cutscene with Master Hand and Tabuu.

Look, I don't want to argue and we're getting off the topic. Can we continue this in a conversation?
Didn't Hades run over a girls parents? Just saying.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I personally am glad about the clones, I don't get peoples logic when they say that the three clones could have magically converted into Mewtwo and ridley and K rool, etc. They also say sakurai is biased to his own series. *facepalm* Just because Metroid and DK have less reps does not mean he is biased.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I personally am glad about the clones, I don't get peoples logic when they say that the three clones could have magically converted into Mewtwo and ridley and K rool, etc. They also say sakurai is biased to his own series. *facepalm* Just because Metroid and DK have less reps does not mean he is biased.
Dark Pit having a new FS (but cloned from Zelda) and his own victory theme is a bit biased, and I guess he could be less prioritized compared to other potential clones, but he is still a bonus.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Dark Pit having a new FS (but cloned from Zelda) and his own victory theme is a bit biased, and I guess he could be less prioritized compared to other potential clones, but he is still a bonus.
That is biased? Doesn't that just make him less than a clone?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Didn't Hades run over a girls parents? Just saying.
Let's not forget that Viridi blew up a whole battlefield of people.
* Medusa inaugurates her return to the mortal realm with "a festive little bloodbath"
* Palutena suggests Pit is having thoughts that are "naughty"
* Hades implies he ran over a girl's parents whilst distracted by fixing his hair
* Viridi annihilates an entire battlefield of human beings
* The entire Chaos King story arc is a shockingly intense tonal shift from earlier parts of the game
* Hades refers to the Chaos King as a "hellraiser"
* Pit implicitly tells Hades to go to hell
* The Chaos King violently rips Palutena's soul out of her body
* Pit and Dark Pit invite their enemies to face them and die
* Dark Pit literally travels to the land of the dead
* Hades's master plan is brilliantly grotesque
* EVERYTHING ABOUT AMAZON PANDORA
* Gruesome close-up shots of Pit's burnt wings
* Several crude jokes regarding Hades' bowel movements
* It's suggested that Magnus's child is dead
* Hades tells Pit he wanted to greet him atop a mountain of corpses before fighting him
* Medusa decapitates Hades by punching his head clean off
* The moral-ethical conversation during the credits

Yeah, all in all, Uprising's a pretty crazy fun game. :3

Last edited:

ThePlayer77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Defenceknight
3DS FC
0559-6785-8830
I know Rosalina has a different victory theme, and I'd guess others do too. Does that make them biased too?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I know Rosalina has a different victory theme, and I'd guess others do too. Does that make them biased too?
That is biased? Doesn't that just make him less than a clone?
When say it is a little bit biased, it's because he is still a last minute addition. I actually find his victory theme cool, but I wonder if it's necessary. Obviously, it's not "OHMYGOODIT'SNOTRIDLEY" bias :troll:

So far, I know that Dark Pit, MK, Rosalina Bowser and the Koopa Kids have a different theme. It's actually nice, as it shows the differencies between characters. I hope Ganondorf have a different theme as well...

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
When say it is a little bit biased, it's because he is still a last minute addition. I actually find his victory theme cool, but I wonder if it's necessary. Obviously, it's not "OHMYGOODIT'SNOTRIDLEY" bias :troll:

So far, I know that Dark Pit, MK, Rosalina Bowser and the Koopa Kids have a different theme. It's actually nice, as it shows the differencies between characters. I hope Ganondorf have a different theme as well...
All the koopa kids have different themes? Damn!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
All the koopa kids have different themes? Damn!
I think they all have Bowser's, or a variation of. It's just different than the main 3 Mario reps.

But yeah, Dark Pit's victory theme is amazing. Considering how popular his theme is, I couldn't see Sakurai not using it for that.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I'm fine with clones. All I can think of is this.

Melee: *Mostly everyone's fine with clones*

Smash 4: *Everyone complaining about clones*

Smash fans never can make up their mind.

Anyways I'm glad to see Dark Pit here, since I naturally find myself ALWAYS better with clones. (Plus he's pretty awesome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom