• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Moveset Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parasol

Smash Cadet
In the first reveal trailer, Pit is seen using Wings of Icarus and Upperdash Arm, the former returning as his up-special, the latter replacing Angel Ring from Brawl as his side-special (as speculated by motion mechanics featured in the (developer direct). Sakurai has stated in the developer direct that Pit has "a few new moves" to mirror his Uprising upgrade, a couple of which are already known to be the aforementioned Upperdash Arm and the new Guardian Orbitars, which is replacing Mirror Shield from Brawl as his down-special. I would like to discuss the variations taking place in Pit's transition from Brawl to SSB3DS/WU and the tactical implications they give regarding competitive play.​
Right off the bat, we know that all Pit's specials--save Palutena's Arrow--have been improved on in some manner. Wings of Icarus was given a smoother ground-launch, not only gaining speed but more horizontal and vertical coverage alike. Seeing as JOoS has made its return, Pit can make more use of this to keep his spacing, aerial control, and proximity pressure relevant. Upperdash Arm seemingly has instant start-up, long reach, and solid knockback; assuming the Arm is an invulnerable hitbox, its high priority will find its use in counters an reliable initiations. Guardian Orbitars now grant Pit double-sided protection--an easy step up from Mirror Shield, although we are still not sure if the deflection occurs on both ranged and melee attacks. The details on Palutena's Arrow, Pit's Final Smash, and his regular moves have yet to be shown. I will update this thread as we learn more.

So what do you think about these changes? Are there any other changes you would like to see? How has what we seen so far done for Pit in both competitive and casual play alike? Obligatory HYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEA!!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's definitely more serious and well-equipped this time around, which I like. I just hope one of his moves are reflectors though, as I felt that it was one of the things that made Pit versatile along with his arrows and all-around style. Even if he doesn't have a true reflector, I'm still maining him. As for so far, I love him already.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It was bound to happen thanks to KI:U after all. It'd be dumb for them not to give Pit some of Uprising's other weapons to use in one shape or form. It is likely another one of his weapons may be used as another move of his that we haven't seen yet, or maybe they're just meant for specials. I'm impressed that they didn't use the First Blade yet, as the Upperdash caught me off guard. The Guardians though, while I wasn't expect it as well, I felt it was gonna be more possible than the Upperdash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I hope he doesn't change too drastically though, I'm scared I lose my touch with Pit to some degree.

Guardian Orbitars seems like buffed up Mirror Shield though.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I worry about it too. As long as Pit has a reflector and retains his versatility (still watching those Guardian Orbs), he'll be nearly the same. I mean I'll still be using Pit, but it'll take a bit of time to get used to his new tricks.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
About Upperdash Arm, it seems like it's purpose might actually be more similar to Angel Ring than we expect. Look at the first screen in the OP. Mega Man's pose seems to indicate that he's shooting at Pit. Now, he might just not be actually shooting yet, but I think there's a chance that Upperdash is granting him protection from the projectile while approaching, similar to Angel Ring's function.

It seems much better than his old >B if that's the case. Either way, I'm probably reading too much into the screenshot, though I still think this idea is pretty likely given how well it fits Pit's concept.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well the projectile, if it came out, most likely hit Link instead. The move is probably the KO move Pit needs if he can land it, though we don't know how it'll look when Pit's in the air. It could be a side-dashing spike identical to Falcon's Side-B, or it still does the same thing as it did on land.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Well, yeah, the KO thing was kind of part of what I meant. He can kill with it (hopefully), and being able to slide through projectiles could be a really good way to land it. Plus, it would allow Pit to maintain the general projectile superiority he's always had.

Honestly, the idea of this attack being used in the air feels strange to me. Trying to picture the Arm dash attack off the ground is a bit awkward. But hey, uncertainty is exciting. It's always nice to have something to look out for in future gameplay showings.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit can do it, I have faith in our little angel. <3

We'll never know. Sakurai and Pit will surprise us, I can feel it.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
So they gave Pit Raptor Boost... I like it. I'm gonna miss hiyiyiyaaaa though if it doesn't come back. :(

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
"Upperdash Arm". Forget that Falcon stuff when you got a cool weapon like Pit, that actually has great knockback from the looks of it.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I just made this for fun. Enjoy.

if you can't see this, just scroll down to my later post.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im curious that without his shield can we assume he will get the three sacred treasures for his final smash? Most thought it would be the great sacred treasure which it could be, but i feel like they took out his shield for the regular 3 as a power up.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
We can't see inside your dropbox. :) Try using the attachment system next to "post reply".

It is entirely possible that his FS will be the same... even if it's not wanted.
Thanks. Working on a fix now. Every upload website is giving me issues for .gif uploading.

The same Final Smash is possible, but given how much has been changed? I think we'll get a new one.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Thanks. Working on a fix now. Every upload website is giving me issues for .gif uploading.

The same Final Smash is possible, but given how much has been changed? I think we'll get a new one.

Yeah, we can hope. The centurions are really dopey seeming. Maybe Pit will get some sort of epic Archangel of Death transformation.

Pictured above: Kid Icarus

Oh, it's an animated gif? Are you sure the "upload a file" doesn't work for it? imgur.com might work for you, it's what I use.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Yeah, we can hope. The centurions are really dopey seeming. Maybe Pit will get some sort of epic Archangel of Death transformation.

Pictured above: Kid Icarus

Oh, it's an animated gif? Are you sure the "upload a file" doesn't work for it? imgur.com might work for you, it's what I use.
Arch angel of death would be so random, I would laugh. I think the Three Sacred Treasures will do it...either that, or something with Dark Pit.

And, yeah, I keep getting "error, can't upload .gif" at every single website I try. For those interested, it's Pit using the Guardian Orbitars.

Attachments

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Arch angel of death would be so random, I would laugh. I think the Three Sacred Treasures will do it...either that, or something with Dark Pit.

And, yeah, I keep getting "error, can't upload .gif" at every single website I try. For those interested, it's Pit using the Guardian Orbitars.

It's nice being able to see that in repeat. The Orbitars look pretty cool... I'm liking the thought of Pit switching around his moveset to reflect Uprising.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, I'm just grateful that the Angel Ring is gone. Seems like the Upperdash Arm will make for an improved replacement. Though, I do wonder if it has other properties besides being basically a straight forward rush down move, like maybe having the ability to stop projectiles.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Well, I'm just grateful that the Angel Ring is gone. Seems like the Upperdash Arm will make for an improved replacement. Though, I do wonder if it has other properties besides being basically a straight forward rush down move, like maybe having the ability to stop projectiles.

Do we know for sure that the Upperdash Arm is his new Side B? I think a lot of people think it's a fancy new dash attack.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Do we know for sure that the Upperdash Arm is his new Side B? I think a lot of people think it's a fancy new dash attack.
We don't know for sure, but it's 99% his new Side-Special. We've seen him do all of his other specials and the moves properties are too strange to be any form of normal attack (Side-Smash? Side-Tilt? Dash-Attack?). Side-Special is the only thing that fits.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
In the the developer direct, when he uses the move, he goes right into it without dashing first so unless the player had ungodly fast fingers I doubt it was a dash attack. As far as it going through projectiles I don't remember seeing that but isn't it possible it just has relatively high priority? Assuming ssb4 deals with priority similarly.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Awesome. I'm certainly happy to see Angel Ring head to heaven. The Upperdash Arm looks pretty brutal and the orbitars are nice... I'm curious what will differentiate them from the reflector. Do you guys think they still push away physical attacks? Having the shield on both sides is pretty intense.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I only mentioned the projectile ignoring properties as speculation, not fact. It would make sense if that attack did have high priority though.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

I would have used it better if you didn't increase the speed. D: I could use it to ask someone to make a special sig I'd like to upgrade with and imagine what I'd love to have:

-New Pit render on the left, but recolored to match Brawl Pit's current gold color,
-A smaller version of the Guardian Orbitar gif at normal speed in the Middle. The move itself represents defense, and as an often defensive player via brawl, it would describe me well,
-Screen 5 from the site to on the right, which is a beautiful picture as it is.
-Overall banner has a gold heavenly theme to reflect the gold color Pit that I'll be using, and well an overall Kid Icarus Skyworld-like theme to fit the angel himself.

I can see it now. Now if Palutena was confirmed, it would look different. <3

As for what I'd think, Side-B is most likely that Upperdash Arm, which may be designed for strong vertical KOs. In our Brawl area today, it would be good on stages with low stage boundaries for quick kills, like on Halberd. Guardian Orbitars (Down-B from what we know mostly) are most likely able to block and cancel out projectiles like in Uprising unless they've been upgraded to reflect em, along with knocking away opponents that touch it.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I would have used it better if you didn't increase the speed. D: I could use it to ask someone to make a special sig I'd like to upgrade with and imagine what I'd love to have:

-New Pit render on the left, but recolored to match Brawl Pit's current gold color,
-A smaller version of the Guardian Orbitar gif at normal speed in the Middle. The move itself represents defense, and as an often defensive player via brawl, it would describe me well,
-Screen 5 from the site to on the right, which is a beautiful picture as it is.
-Overall banner has a gold heavenly theme to reflect the gold color Pit that I'll be using, and well an overall Kid Icarus Skyworld-like theme to fit the angel himself.

I can see it now. Now if Palutena was confirmed, it would look different. <3

As for what I'd think, Side-B is most likely that Upperdash Arm, which may be designed for strong vertical KOs. In our Brawl area today, it would be good on stages with low stage boundaries for quick kills, like on Halberd. Guardian Orbitars (Down-B from what we know mostly) are most likely able to block and cancel out projectiles like in Uprising unless they've been upgraded to reflect em, along with knocking away opponents that touch it.
I sped it up? It was my first .gif attempt, so I goofed on some things. I can make a slower version for you. I'll probably do it tomorrow (it's late here)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I sped it up? It was my first .gif attempt, so I goofed on some things. I can make a slower version for you. I'll probably do it tomorrow (it's late here)
It seemed like it was x2 its original speed, which is common around some gifs I find around places. I'm not worried, and can wait >_<. We gotta rep up Pit after all, and show everyone that it isn't always bout them newcomers, who have some disturbing memes already. *shivers*

"I'm not scared. I-I'm not scared at all!"

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Also, as far as Pit's specials go, I think he can aim in 360 degree's with the Arrows of Light now. It's a bold claim based off of a single image, I must admit. The Smash 3DS has an image of Pit prepping an arrow, but the angle is not straight on and Pit is looking at angle he could not in Brawl. Maybe it's nothing, or maybe I'm right. We'll find out eventually.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It would seem like the basic Left, Right, or Up to me. It seems like he's about to aim up, but I could be wrong myself. Still hoping for updates soon for our angel, and interested in of his other moves. It'd be weird if the 2 new moves now are the only ones with Pit using a different weapon imo, but so far he's okay.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Also, as far as Pit's specials go, I think he can aim in 360 degree's with the Arrows of Light now. It's a bold claim based off of a single image, I must admit. The Smash 3DS has an image of Pit prepping an arrow, but the angle is not straight on and Pit is looking at angle he could not in Brawl. Maybe it's nothing, or maybe I'm right. We'll find out eventually.
I agree, or at least I think he can shoot diagonal. The bow in that picture definitely looks angled.

I'm definitely expecting his final smash to be the 3 sacred treasures in one of their various forms. If Palentina ends up playable like lots of people are expecting, maybe she'll get Pit's old final smash.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Aiming diagonally would help Pit plenty more, and I support it.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Based on the guesses over in the Mega Man threads about Metal Blade being an aimed Neutral-B, I think giving Pit more angles on his arrows is pretty reasonable. The question, of course, is whether or not he could still guide them after shooting.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I don't think they'd get rid of the ability to guide arrows unless it's now a high-speed semi-homing projectile, but I think it's the former.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Digging the Uprising representation. Upperdash Arm looks super cool. It definitely looks like new side special to me. I wonder if they just moved his Angel Ring to his dash attack and gave it the Uprising animation.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Most likely I see Pit's Dash Attack being replaced with the "spinning bow" dash attack from Uprising, which was a 7-hit attack that had knockback at the last hit. I would prefer that over Brawl's Dash attack; it shows Pit's versatility and improvements much more.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
That's basically what I meant. For all intents and purpose I consider that move Uprisings version fo the Angel Ring.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Based on the guesses over in the Mega Man threads about Metal Blade being an aimed Neutral-B, I think giving Pit more angles on his arrows is pretty reasonable. The question, of course, is whether or not he could still guide them after shooting.
To be fair, Mega Man when he activates it has a few frames before he even throws the blade, which gives him the time to aim in one of the 8 directions. Pit will probably still pull out his bow right away and keep the same properties.

That spinning bow move was awesome, but given we already have two different weapons (which seem to be mapped to the B moves coincidentally if speculation is right) I wouldn't be surprised to see some of his other weapons be used for various attacks. The sword, staff, claws, etc;. It would seem odd to stop at just 2 after all (bow not withstanding)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I myself do want to see more of Pit's weapons, but I'm okay with what he has so far. Them Guardians though, and Pit's pose when he does it. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom