• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit - Arrow Follow Ups

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
That was amazing. All Pits should work on being able to use arrows like you. I've been trying to master more advanced arrow techniques myself to make a video like this but it looks like you beat me to it :p. If you could make more videos with practical usage like this and some instructional ones I think it could greatly increase our skill. Btw I find that my main problem while arrow looping is that I get distracted on the loop and find it hard to focus on defending myself and/or distracting my opponent to set up stuff. Did you have this problem and if so how did you overcome it? Just practice maybe?

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
nice, but I think the trick is hitting them or making them react to your loop while keeping control over your character.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Hey, thanks for the comments so far =D
Yeah, we have to improve our arrow game.

@ stealthgun: You have to train. Train a lot.

I was not exactly planning other vids, but maybe i´ll make some. :p
But first i have to think of stuff i can do in the vids, any advices?

@ Katana : PM me .. and no I am just using cyve and ´~>´ as tag :p

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I never play with my arrows since the whole "arrow trix" seems taboo. I'll hit up training mode to learn more arrow stuff

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Arrow loops work best at the range where they curve. If you shoot an arrow down at the floor, you'll see the distance.

Work great if they jump or sidestep the upward arrow. Thats if you're facing forward.
If Backwards, they usually rush you, then you side step, they get hit by arrow, then you follow up.

I haven't managed to fluently do the grab loop in a match though.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Arrow loops work best at the range where they curve. If you shoot an arrow down at the floor, you'll see the distance.

Work great if they jump or sidestep the upward arrow. Thats if you're facing forward.
If Backwards, they usually rush you, then you side step, they get hit by arrow, then you follow up.

I haven't managed to fluently do the grab loop in a match though.

Because it´s almost impossible to use the AG - X ( Arrow Grab X = variable standing for different actions) in real Matches.

btw you got a PM

Fighting of the spirit <3

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
This is flashy & fun to do, but we still haven't produced enough high-quality Pits yet. If you make instructional vids on how to use arrows properly without looping, I would approve of this thread. The title is a little misleading because I thought you meant guaranteed hits after an arrow, like arrow>dash attack.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
This is flashy & fun to do, but we still haven't produced enough high-quality Pits yet. If you make instructional vids on how to use arrows properly without looping, I would approve of this thread. The title is a little misleading because I thought you meant guaranteed hits after an arrow, like arrow>dash attack.

Then the time has come to produce some, or not?
What do you mean with ´use arrows properly without looping´ ?
Reversed arrows? - But why a whole video just containing senseless reversed arrows.
Any suggestions?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Make videos with guaranteed combos after an arrow connects, like arrow-dash attack, arrow>fsmash. How to use arrows off-stage(planking, edgeguarding) and what range they are safe at(on-stage). A video or demonstration on how a Pit player can use whiffed arrows to lead into other moves like fair, jab, grabs, etc..

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Make videos with guaranteed combos after an arrow connects, like arrow-dash attack, arrow>fsmash. How to use arrows off-stage(planking, edgeguarding) and what range they are safe at(on-stage). A video or demonstration on how a Pit player can use whiffed arrows to lead into other moves like fair, jab, grabs, etc..
Though they are not true combos, a lot of them are inescapable. Short hitstun moves like alot of metaknights attacks make short stun combos inescapable. If you try to evade or attack, the opponents attack hits first. Moves like our Up air, arrow, dair at low percent and fair, and weak bair, gives short hit stun making unavoidable follows without great DI.

During the end of hitstun you are in a small state where B moves don't work or can't evade or attack.

test dair on low percent like 3-6%

@CYVE try ones that can connect after a move, Dair, arrow, dair or etc

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Impressive skills.
But once again, @video you did get punished for some thing that you shouldn't.

cp2

Smash Rookie
nice video, you have a great skill with the arrows, now find where to use them safely in a serious match, and ****...

I am really bad doing this things but I've found a couple of things where arrow looping can be useful. Yes. In a serious match

Using them to force your opponent into a dodge while he is landing and punish with everything you want, for example

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Thanks.

I guess I´ll try out a few different combinations ^^

I would appreciate other suggestions as well.

link2702

Smash Champion
neat trix...sadly....arrow looping is still pretty much useless, trying any of those in a serious match is gonna get you punished at higher levels of play, the oppenent can easily punish you while you are busy trying to loop that arrow.

trust me dude, i used to be obsessed with trying to "perfect" arrow looping and doing alot of the same things you were doing, but as soon as i started facing tougher oppenents, who were punishing each and every time i atttempted to loop an arrow, i started to camp instead against em, suddenly everything changed, they were the ones getting punished instead, if they approached me, i was able to punish em for it dearly.

obviously alot of it is still MU dependent, I.E. camping is a very very bad idea against failco, the ultimate camper in the game, but for alot of other ones, its probably one of the best strats. Ever since i stopped attempting arrow loopign, and started camping more and being more defensive, i started to win more, and just do better overal more, ALOT more.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Sigh... continue showing the possibilities you can do with arrow trix. If you don't know how to use an AT properly, then don't train with it in a serious match. That goes for all characters.

I have a camera now, I may be able to show stuff too. My editing might not be good though.. yet

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
neat trix...sadly....arrow looping is still pretty much useless, trying any of those in a serious match is gonna get you punished at higher levels of play, the oppenent can easily punish you while you are busy trying to loop that arrow.
Yes if you just stand in one place and attempt to loop an arrow and not do anything else but that, youre going to get punished but nobody in their right mind would just sit there and only focus on looping the arrow. There ARE practical applications for looped arrows and he showed some of them near the end of the video like when he was on the ledge and trying to get back onto the stage he shot the arrow and while he looped it he pulled out his shield to protect himself and then hit the snake with the arrow to give him time to get back to the stage. You can also use them to ping the opponent for extra damage as they're falling to the stage or use that time when they are falling to set up an arrow rain or arrow combo to hit him during the landing lag. I agree that at the moment there aren't a TON of practical uses that we have found 'YET' but thats just in 1v1. The doubles scene is growing and there are MANY more uses for 2v2.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
The early ones were unrealistic circumstances but the last two were impressive, these showed some good possibilities for mind games, thumbs up man.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I love playing default controls but I keep jumping when I loop, I don't want to take up tap off. Helps me short hop Dair out of shield without spot dodging.

I've been able to jab after the arrow facing forward but timing is kinda difficult.

etc etc... so many apps

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
why don't you just use x,y, or an alternate button for jump to perfom a SH dair out of shield? I'm pretty sure you're going to say that it feels awkward or your not used to it because I NEVER used x or y to jump before I started playing Pit seriously and it felt so weird to use x or y. It actually didn't take as long as I thought it would to get familiar with using the x or y buttons. All it took was to turn off tap jump and take an hour or so to go through your usual movements with recovery, short hops, arial follow-ups, etc. until you get stuff down pat. personally, I set L to jump to reduce the amount of movement needed with the right thumb to reduce the chances of slip-ups due to rapid movements for quick input. For instance it's near impossible for me to wing dash with tap jump off when I have to use x or y to jump and then move to the b button for WOI and keep my thumb from sliding to the c stick for a dair too early. :p I find it much easier to just use the left trigger to jump in that instance. Just a suggestion. ;)

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I use X and Y alot. but my timing for a dair OOS makes me spot dodge. I wing dash with x or y too, so much easier for me, I have fast fingers. L sound like a great option for an alternate jump. I forgot about that, thanks.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
In my Opinion, it's very important to learn how to jump with X and Y. And once you turn the jump tap off, it'll become easier to do more Arrow Loop Combos.. It allows you to multitask a little in the air. Especially when you Arrow Loop. If you Arrow Loop, Jump with X or Y, and then the arrow hits your opponent (mind you, your opponent is in front of you and you jump behind him) you can follow up with any aerial attack that you can use. Plus it's easier to do retreating aerials. Although, the L button sounds like a nice alternative ^__^. I'll have to try that sometime.

And one more thing, does OOS mean "Out Of Shield"?

@CYVE: I'm glad you made this video. Not only has it helped me with Arrow Looping, it's hopefully showing the Pit boards that this can be useful. And also, I just think that a lot of people are thinking that you have to stand still while you loop. This is not true, if you jump mid loop you can have a lot more mobility. Or just stop looping... If you started the loop it doesn't mean you have to finish it.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
In my Opinion, it's very important to learn how to jump with X and Y. And once you turn the jump tap off, it'll become easier to do more Arrow Loop Combos.. It allows you to multitask a little in the air. Especially when you Arrow Loop. If you Arrow Loop, Jump with X or Y, and then the arrow hits your opponent (mind you, your opponent is in front of you and you jump behind him) you can follow up with any aerial attack that you can use. Plus it's easier to do retreating aerials. Although, the L button sounds like a nice alternative ^__^. I'll have to try that sometime.

And one more thing, does OOS mean "Out Of Shield"?
Yes, sir, OOS means Out of Shield. I don't know why people still love arrow looping. Its pretty pointless unless you are a high-level player and place in the top 5 on a regular basis. Unless you can do that, then there is no need to talk about arrow looping. When more Pit players start placing well, then we can talk about arrow-looping ;)

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
-If arrow loop is fail, why wait to get better and see better pits to fail again.
-There are rights and wrongs, if you find out how to do it right, don't dismiss it for always doing it wrong.

Meta knights drill is a sucky move, M2k uses it to cancel it to the ledge. The move is useless yet useful. Harder to punish if used correctly.

Sorry if anything about arrow loops lead to an argument, but no move in this game is 100% fail proof. We matured enough it takes concentration, yet not sit there for punishment. Help discuss some applications before offing something minuscule to your training.

Sorry guys, but I'm passionate.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
@dualseeker: Glad to see that my Video is at least helpful for someone ^^

In summer I will probably go to BBI. (Ally might come too)

Have to see what can be done. ;P

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
@Katana: Thanks for supporting me ^__^. I just don't want another one of those HUGE arguments that I've seen multiple times before in here. I also support Arrow Looping a lot, but I'm sometimes afraid to voice my opinions due to the hatread against it -_-... Guess I'll have to get a little bit more courage.

@CYVE: Your welcome ^__^. The video taught me the Arrow Loop > Grab maneuver. I've used Arrow Looping in the past before, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn what you've done in the video.
And what does BBI mean? Does it have something to do with MLG?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Awesome stuff there CYVE. I don't have the time to be amazing with Pit and this is the first video in a long time to make me this sad about it.

humble

Smash Ace
cyve, if you could get this in actual combat videos it would be more impressive. Nice job on the tricks, if you executed them in battle it'd be better.

Top Bottom