• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pillaring - What it is and how to do it...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Have you ever tried running a game cube on dc? There are certain base electircal assumptions one has to make. running on ac is just normal.

Velox

Smash Ace
Why do people pillar again???...

...because I'm here to tell you that it's useless against anyone halfway decent.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
no not exactly, it can be used as a mind game, your opponent might freak out about his shield, he will roll and fall into a trap probably...and if he doesn't roll(or do sumthin else to move) he is doomed, and pillaring is a good way to pwn n00bs lol.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
no not exactly, it can be used as a mind game, your opponent might freak out about his shield, he will roll and fall into a trap probably...and if he doesn't roll(or do sumthin else to move) he is doomed, and pillaring is a good way to pwn n00bs lol.
only if your opponent is bad or is phased easily. against anyone decent i think it's better to just shffl to grab

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Um actually, lets say u dair their shield, then shine and wavedash backwards away. There shield has been brought down, and they will probably try to grab or roll away, in which case you are in a position do follow up. And if u watch dope he will waveshine after the dair to get behind the shield where they cant grab u, then start pillaring. Even if they get away, then over time their shield will get worn down so much that maybe only 2 shine >>> dairs would break their shield, and they wont roll away fast enough. (Ive done it... so just a thought and seen it done too.)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Why do people pillar again???...

...because I'm here to tell you that it's useless against anyone halfway decent.
Quoted for truth. It's very easy to get out of/ punish. it's main use is to get them to roll, and hope you know when they're going to, and waveshine toward their direction, and punish their roll. But that's pretty hard to do.

wordman

Smash Apprentice
Quoted for truth. It's very easy to get out of/ punish. it's main use is to get them to roll, and hope you know when they're going to, and waveshine toward their direction, and punish their roll. But that's pretty hard to do.
From being a victim of spamming lazorz and pillar dummy. The best way of escaping to gain momentum is to z-shield/lightshield. It pushes you away from him a little bit, and might throw him off a bit.

Finalsilence

Smash Cadet
So if pillaring is useless what do you do when an opponent shields?

I've been watching PC lately and everytime he dairs it but I've never seen him finish it (Well there is one instance where he pillars) since I can never make out what hes going for what does he do?

Actually what do most top notch falco players do to pressure shields.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I cant quote because my comp doesnt let me for some reason, but read my last post. It is the one right before scotu's. Thats y u would use pillaring.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Probably the best way to pressure their shield is to grab. If you shffld into it, shinegrab. It'll work much of the time as long as you don't spam it. It just seems too much like pillaring is a bad idea, since it's escapable/ punishable. It's only do able by shffling into their shield, which, you should never aim for someone's shield.

Top Bottom