• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu with no fur?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

I'm sure that you noticed the redesigns of donkey kong and fox had realistic looking fur. What I'm wondering is why pikachu doesn't. he the "electric mouse pokemon", and mice have fur, so it would make sense.
Although I really like pikachu's design now, I'm not really sure if it should of had a little bit of fur or not. I mean, what would it look like?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Game Freak and the Pokemon Company have most of the control over how their characters appear in Smash Bros, so they probably wanted Pikachu to remain closer to his cartoony, cel-shaded look as he appears in X and Y. Besides, at some point, Pikachu with realistic features would start to enter the uncanny valley.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I see a lot of fanart of pikachu with a little tuft of fur right above his forhead, between his ears, like this picture here, and I think it works out and looks good.

I don't prefer one over the other, but it seems the general audience likes the smooth design. that's just as fine as well. he's still cute, that's all that matters.

ShowdownBro721

Smash Rookie
I had to give it a shot...
PikachuSSB4Fur.png

FYI, I was working off of a memory of a Pikachu stuffed animal I had when I was a kid. ;)

To be honest, nowadays I can care less of how realistic the characters look. Indeed, I found the detail in cloth, like Mario's denim overalls, fascinating, but I like the style shown in this game as it visually shows the relevant details while keeping the characters true to who they are in their games. But to each his own, I guess.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Quoting myself from another topic for convenience. Was regarding on why it seems that DK seems to be taking Pikachu's usual spotlight.

I think they just chose to show DK off because he's all Beast-pretty now, and has several DKCR shenanigans to hype up.

They can make Pikachu as HD, 'adowable' and cuddly as they want. It's still gonna be Pikachu.

Personally, as much as I love the new look, I honestly think everyone is looking forward to a different face for Pokemon in Smash.
I think it's more fitting. Going off of the most recent memorabilia, Pokedex 3D Pro, anime, all promotional media and in the actual games, it's the best representation of him that's ever been in Smash. I do hope small tidbits will be noticeable in the final version, like an alt that lets you be female Pikachu with the cleft in the tail.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai probably wasn't allowed to add it. TPC probably would never allow anyone to do that unless they did first. It certainly shouldn't be super furry like that image. Just a close, short-haired coat. That said, TPC wants to keep it's icon's design simple rather than realistic for now.

Bonus edit: Pika probably lost air-time to DK because he was less visually impressive compared to DK's fur.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I had to give it a shot...
View attachment 966

FYI, I was working off of a memory of a Pikachu stuffed animal I had when I was a kid. ;)

To be honest, nowadays I can care less of how realistic the characters look. Indeed, I found the detail in cloth, like Mario's denim overalls, fascinating, but I like the style shown in this game as it visually shows the relevant details while keeping the characters true to who they are in their games. But to each his own, I guess.
That actually doesn't look too bad. Still, I prefer him bald just because he's always been that way.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Ugh, just looking at that thing.

I wish the pokemon did look like a wild animal/beast and not a plush toy.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pikachu has fur. It just doesn't need to be emphasized like Fox or Donkey Kong. A lot of Pokemon in general have very smooth/sleek designs to them. It would be weird to see alot of them be given any kind of realism. Also, Fox and Donkey Kong's designs have been played with before to certain extents, Pikachu, like most Pokemon have also been very consistent design as well too.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu has fur. It just doesn't need to be emphasized like Fox or Donkey Kong. A lot of Pokemon in general have very smooth/sleek designs to them. It would be weird to see alot of them be given any kind of realism. Also, Fox and Donkey Kong's designs have been played with before to certain extents, Pikachu, like most Pokemon have also been very consistent design as well too.
You can render hair that is smooth and unemphasized, like a mouse, doberman, deer, etc. I did my thesis on hair simulation, so I do know a bit about this. It would just look nicer in closeups, like Link's chainmail in this game. They should have at least given him some hair sim on the brown part of his tail.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You can render hair that is smooth and unemphasized, like a mouse, doberman, deer, etc. I did my thesis on hair simulation, so I do know a bit about this. It would just look nicer in closeups, like Link's chainmail in this game. They should have at least given him some hair sim on the brown part of his tail.

Hmm, True. When I was typing my post I was actually thinking that something like that might actually might be possible. Giving the fur extra detail can work so long as its very subdued and smooth looking.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Pikachu has smooth yellow flesh

Prove me wrong

Katatopeth

Smash Rookie
Pikachu comes from a cartoon, There for he must me sort of cartoon like. A realist Pikachu just is to much for my taste, I think the model they have suits him well. The furry Fox though makes sense to me.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I honestly thought they ripped that art from Pokemon X and Y.

I don't really think Pikachu having fur would necessarily make him look better... Okay, maybe a little more cuter...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well yeah, it's most likely papermache. The only furry thing is Entei in the back.

I was just pointing out the more realistic Pikachu gets, the less cute.

Reznor

work in progress
I like Fat Pikachu and new Pikachu but the fatty is special to me because of nostalgia

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I feel like they could add fur to pokemon that would not look like the garbage from deviantart. I just don't think Nintendo believes that detailed characters are kid friendly, although they're wrong. Look at Pixar movies. Specifically the Monsters Inc. Those characters look good with fur. I believe Nintendo just wants pokemon to look like plastic because they don't get it.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I feel like they could add fur to pokemon that would not look like the garbage from deviantart. I just don't think Nintendo believes that detailed characters are kid friendly, although they're wrong. Look at Pixar movies. Specifically the Monsters Inc. Those characters look good with fur. I believe Nintendo just wants pokemon to look like plastic because they don't get it.
Lucario clearly has fur in his art:
main.png

I don;t think that is the issue

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu never had any fur. Sparky excepted, of course.
No... Pikachu definitely has fur. Sparky, like you said did.

pikachu with hair.png

After looking at this it is obvious Pikachu has fur.

I was surprised when I saw that DK and Fox had fur but Pikachu didn't. It really makes Pikachu look bland... very Kirby-esque like the guy above said. For Kirby the smooth look works, but for Pikachu... eh not so much. Same with Charizard for that matter. I was surprised by how smooth he looks too. Iirc he was more detailed in brawl! He had little hints of scales.

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
I'm not advocating for something like this
real pikachu.jpg
but a little more detail would've been nice!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
A Sparky alternate costume would do wonders.

EDIT:
OK, NO...the Mario characters are pretty detailed on the latest releases, Bowser's pretty ****in' detailed, Megaman looks very detailed...they do get it, they just don't want Pikachu to look realistic because he's not supposed to look realistic, Pikachu looks fine right now and you're comparing apples and Oranges, Monsters Inc. had plenty of detailed characters that didn't need fancy fur effects to look detailed. You're one of those people who ask for a Pokemon MMO with realistic graphics, aren't you?

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Game Freak and the Pokemon Company have most of the control over how their characters appear in Smash Bros, so they probably wanted Pikachu to remain closer to his cartoony, cel-shaded look as he appears in X and Y. Besides, at some point, Pikachu with realistic features would start to enter the uncanny valley.
The Uncanny Valley, aka Western fan art.

May I just say, "ew."

Pikachu should just remain an unrealistic cartoon character, like most Pokemon.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
the only problem i have with pikachu is the face expressions he doesn't really have... Like Sparky above, he looks focussed and angry... They don't really accomplish this on the Pikachu in Smash bros. he always looks te same... I would had loved a little fur texture too, but I understand the reason people give about keeping it's design closst to how he is in media and other games.

but yeah, Pikachu still looks a bit poor in detail with the same face expression in almost every attack:

Last edited:
Top Bottom