• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
first video link should be ESAM V M2K, he was amazing against diddy, even if he lost, overall it was a great match
Hmm.......I guess that is ok, but if you were to show videos can you show videos of like, ESAM vs many different players who play different characters? You know, so we don't have to constantly watch Pika vs Diddy or Rosa or Shiek
But some of the, for now, lower ranked characters?
Doesn't even have to be ESAM, any decent Pika would work
It would be nice to see how the lower ranked characters would do, obviously actions speak louder then words.
Just a suggestion :p

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I was thinking... I need to test this in the lab, but I bet Pika has a throw to footstool at low percents- and if he does, I wonder what it leads into (jab lock) just a random thought, I'll let you guys know if it works.

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
No, because that is a false representation of the current patch
its a perfect video because it display's how well pikachu can get in to, even (before the patch) charcter's with the safest moves a.k.a diddy at the time, its a great match cause it display's the advatages pikachu can have in close up match up's and esam also has had much sucess in gimping which doesn't hurt to get good at, if fact you can save yourself a lot of trouble as pika if you are great at gimping lol. overall pika wasn't significantly changed, so yes it is an representation of of the current patch, because you're watching pikachu's movenment which has not changed.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
It's definitely a thing, but difficult to follow up. Can you shorthop footstools?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I'm not a tech guy, but pike has D/Uthrow to footstool up to 50%. Someone figure out what to do with it.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
im not in the lab but i'd like to know if you can SH footstools
Um are there any ways to play online tourneys or something? Like do you know a link to some? I'm mostly tired of 1v1 FG, this would be a nice way to practice my characters customs and practice on stages other then omega.
Then again.........error code makes playing with friends NEAR IMPOSSIBLE, I swear why is everything against me...........
I wanna play with many people so I can get the fun, awesome experience, and maybe face more Pika players or something.
I hope you see my point of view on how much I wanna do it, so please and thanks :4kirby:

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Um are there any ways to play online tourneys or something? Like do you know a link to some? I'm mostly tired of 1v1 FG, this would be a nice way to practice my characters customs and practice on stages other then omega.
Then again.........error code makes playing with friends NEAR IMPOSSIBLE, I swear why is everything against me...........
I wanna play with many people so I can get the fun, awesome experience, and maybe face more Pika players or something.
I hope you see my point of view on how much I wanna do it, so please and thanks :4kirby:
The board has a thread dedicated to weekly tourneys online, however if you prefer in person, you can attempt to find people in your area through facebook groups, or even create a scene yourself (which may just benifit you the most). If your internet is the issue then i don't really know what to tell you, you'd have to get better service? overall though there are also guides on here on how to get in to the scene more ect.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
The board has a thread dedicated to weekly tourneys online, however if you prefer in person, you can attempt to find people in your area through facebook groups, or even create a scene yourself (which may just benifit you the most). If your internet is the issue then i don't really know what to tell you, you'd have to get better service? overall though there are also guides on here on how to get in to the scene more ect.
Can I have the link to online tourneys? I bet if I searched I may not find it too well, plus being in school I can only check every once in a while so yea.

Phobicpanda

Smash Rookie
I've played smash pretty much since Melee, but this is the first one where i've delved into it trying to actually get better and take it seriously.

I've been maining Pikachu since I got it and I have 2 problems that really are holding me back: failing recovery with quick attack, and comboing (specifically air comboing).

The recovery I'm confident I can get better with over time by just playing and getting used to it. But I can't seem to get the comboing down... I see in a lot of youtube videos people comboing multiple hits to airborne opponents, but I cannot seem to do this not even once.

Any tips or suggestions?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I've played smash pretty much since Melee, but this is the first one where i've delved into it trying to actually get better and take it seriously.

I've been maining Pikachu since I got it and I have 2 problems that really are holding me back: failing recovery with quick attack, and comboing (specifically air comboing).

The recovery I'm confident I can get better with over time by just playing and getting used to it. But I can't seem to get the comboing down... I see in a lot of youtube videos people comboing multiple hits to airborne opponents, but I cannot seem to do this not even once.

Any tips or suggestions?
Up air up air up air

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me

Any tips or suggestions?
Just sorta get a feel for what works. Utilt combos into itself, then uair which combos into itself, then nair which combos into fair. I recommend practicing on a lv 3 CPU dong, and make your goal to get him from one side of the stage to the other without him touching yhe ground... That gives you an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Thor

Smash Champion
Dair is good if you predict they'll try to airdodge a fast aerial mid-combo - high damage and its startup makes it great for hitting the endlag of an airdodge. Near the ground on landing [assuming autocancel] you're then free to dash after them and look for them to commit to something you can punish.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ P Phobicpanda
Okay, let me tell you the comboes

The backside of U.Tilt, at 0% on most characters, does not true combo into the upperside of U.Tilt-instead, you will do a single U.Tilt (this will place them in front of you) and then Grab, and then F.Throw > Sweetspot Dash Attack

F.Throw > Sweetspot Dash Attack Is actually a universal true combo-it works from 0% on anyone

We then have the frontside of U.Tilt, which is easier to combo from since we hit at the end of U.Tilt-I still recommend U.Tilt >
Grab > Dash Attack since it is reliable

Phobicpanda

Smash Rookie
Just sorta get a feel for what works. Utilt combos into itself, then uair which combos into itself, then nair which combos into fair. I recommend practicing on a lv 3 CPU dong, and make your goal to get him from one side of the stage to the other without him touching yhe ground... That gives you an idea of what works and what doesn't.
I seem to be able to consistently chain 2 Up-airs a lot now. Is it possible to do 3? Also I see characters like Ness who can chain the living hell out of fair, is that not something pikachu can do?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Pikachu can do multiple F.Airs to big characters, and with your U.Airs you are wanting to convert them into something-like N.Air or B.Air

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I seem to be able to consistently chain 2 Up-airs a lot now. Is it possible to do 3? Also I see characters like Ness who can chain the living hell out of fair, is that not something pikachu can do?
That's character dependant. Uair uair jump uair works on some characters, but with others you'll have to jump fir the second uair. Pika can get 2-3 fairs shiek style after a Fthrow at mid %s (SHFFed)

True or false: Pikachu is a rushdown character

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Pikachu can be a rushdown character but can also be played very patiently.
Yeah, we'll call it "patient".
Yeah, that's pretty muc what I figured.

Can we get a list of what moves actually beat Pika's tilts going? Their priority is so crazy (just had Utilt clank with bowser jr fsmash) it'd be nice to know what, if anything, can beat them outright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Pikachu's U.Tilt and F.Tilt have high priority, let's just say that

I already told you this a while ago, but Pikachu's U.Tilt can even clash with Marth's F.Smash-you all underrate his tail attacks quite a bit; his tail attacks are the very thing that make
him a cute little top 3 fighter

Thor

Smash Champion
@ P Phobicpanda
Okay, let me tell you the comboes

The backside of U.Tilt, at 0% on most characters, does not true combo into the upperside of U.Tilt-instead, you will do a single U.Tilt (this will place them in front of you) and then Grab, and then F.Throw > Sweetspot Dash Attack

F.Throw > Sweetspot Dash Attack Is actually a universal true combo-it works from 0% on anyone

We then have the frontside of U.Tilt, which is easier to combo from since we hit at the end of U.Tilt-I still recommend U.Tilt >
Grab > Dash Attack since it is reliable
Two questions:

1) I asked earlier [I think], as you said something about shield drop lag being 3 frames. Is this true? [If you don't know I don't care, I just want to know if that's true or not.]

2) Does this zero percent combo [fthrow dash attack] work on Jigglypuff? I have failed to land it at 0%... my own fault, or perhaps them holding some combination of up and a direction to escape [I have also landed this combo at 0%, but not 100% of the time.]

Utilting to block Marth fsmash is funny - but usually safer to just shield it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Thor Thor
Yes, in this game, shields can be dropped in 3 frames after they take a hit

And the combo should work on Jigglypuff-actually, oddly enough, Jigglypuff is extremely vulnerable to our vertical comboes

Ex. U.Tilt x2 > U.Air x3 > Fastfall Cloud

Thor

Smash Champion
@ Thor Thor
Yes, in this game, shields can be dropped in 3 frames after they take a hit

And the combo should work on Jigglypuff-actually, oddly enough, Jigglypuff is extremely vulnerable to our vertical comboes

Ex. U.Tilt x2 > U.Air x3 > Fastfall Cloud
I usually just SH fair or do a uair on her off a dthrow or fthrow, but I figured I'd ask.

...Not quite the response I was expecting on the shield thing but it clears up what you meant. Thanks!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Can we get a list of what moves actually beat Pika's tilts going? Their priority is so crazy (just had Utilt clank with bowser jr fsmash) it'd be nice to know what, if anything, can beat them outright.
The way clanking works is when two hitboxes meet and their damage is 8% within each other, they will clank. So an utilt, which does 5%, will clank with any ground move that does 13% or lower. Bowser Jr's fsmash does 1% on the first hit, so pretty much anything will clank with it. So I wouldn't say utilt has high "priority".

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Pikabunz Pikabunz
You're wrong about this because U.Tilt can clash with high damage attacks like Marth's or Kirby's F.Smash

The term "priority" regards a hitbox's size, meatiness, and area-probably a few other properties too. Priority is not an ingame property, it is a system we use in the fighting community to simplify just how good a hitbox is vs other hitboxes

U.Tilt, sir, is amazing

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Pikachu's utilt won't clank with Marth's tipper fsmash or Kirby's close fsmash. If you're clanking with it then you're probably hitting a weaker part of the move or those moves were really stale.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Regardless, U.Tilt is still an absolutely amazing attack!

But no-I'm pretty sure U.Tilt will clash with a fresh or tipper

Last edited:

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
would anyone happen to have a pic of the blue goggles pikachu picture from ssb4 with a transparent backround?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
would anyone happen to have a pic of the blue goggles pikachu picture from ssb4 with a transparent backround?
I have a picture of it, but it's too Ridley for me to be able to upload it. And Imgur changes it into a JPG when I try to upload it there.

Those are all JPGs, which means that they have a white background.

Edit: I was able to shrink it. Hopefully it's big enough for you. If not, I'll try and find other ways to get you the original version.
Pikachu_GogglesAlt_Smaller.png

Last edited:

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
I have a picture of it, but it's too Ridley for me to be able to upload it. And Imgur changes it into a JPG when I try to upload it there.

Those are all JPGs, which means that they have a white background.

Edit: I was able to shrink it. Hopefully it's big enough for you. If not, I'll try and find other ways to get you the original version.View attachment 49978
Thank you so much!

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
Is meteor quick attack as good as the hype makes it out to be?

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Is meteor quick attack as good as the hype makes it out to be?
No, regular Quick Attack is still much better and more versatile. There's a lot more you can do with it than with Meteor Quick Attack. That custom is only good for the infinite, and even then, it's not really necessary in my opinion.

Last edited:

Knighto

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any tips on how to do a short hop dair without hitting the ground? I find that when trying to use the c-stick to do it, I can almost never get it, and when using down a, I can sometimes do it in place, but almost never out of a run. Is it just something that needs a ton of practice, or is there some kind of trick?

Top Bottom