• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
Interesting. Would you say that's more because of technical skill requirements or because of his playstyle?
It's hard to pick up pikachu. You have to master certain technical things about him and have to spend tons of time in the lab just to be decent. So if you just want a pick up character than maybe try someone easier

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hi Pikachus. I don't want to put this in the actual video thread since it's against a CPU, but I wanted to share this match versus Olimar. It has that d-throw to Thunder combo at the end that I've been rambling about and which I'm still finding to be much more consistent and harder to DI than U-throw to Thunder.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
What is Jab Locking and how do you preform it with Pika?
I recommend watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJx5F0kTms
Anyways, when an opponent hits the ground after an attack and doesn't tech it, you can go up to them and jab them 3 times. After that, the game forces them to automatically get up. During this time, you can charge up a forward smash or Heavy Skull Bash and get a good hit on them while they're vulnerable. A lot of Pikachu's attacks can set up this situation. According to the video, Pikachu's Jab, forward tilt, down tilt, down air (without landing), Thunder Jolt, and Skull Bash (when not smashed) can knock the opponent down. I think his forward throw can also lead to a jab lock, but it's a little more difficult because of the distance it creates between you and your opponent (and there are better followups to it anyways). I personally feel that this is easiest to pull off with down tilt. Remember though that you can only do a jab lock if your opponent hits the ground and doesn't tech. So this is harder to do against highly-skilled players.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I recommend watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJx5F0kTms
Anyways, when an opponent hits the ground after an attack and doesn't tech it, you can go up to them and jab them 3 times. After that, the game forces them to automatically get up. During this time, you can charge up a forward smash or Heavy Skull Bash and get a good hit on them while they're vulnerable. A lot of Pikachu's attacks can set up this situation. According to the video, Pikachu's Jab, forward tilt, down tilt, down air (without landing), Thunder Jolt, and Skull Bash (when not smashed) can knock the opponent down. I think his forward throw can also lead to a jab lock, but it's a little more difficult because of the distance it creates between you and your opponent (and there are better followups to it anyways). I personally feel that this is easiest to pull off with down tilt. Remember though that you can only do a jab lock if your opponent hits the ground and doesn't tech. So this is harder to do against highly-skilled players.
What's the timing like? Walk up jab while they're still on the ground 3 times? Is there invincibility on the normal get up?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
What's the timing like? Walk up jab while they're still on the ground 3 times? Is there invincibility on the normal get up?
According to the video, you have about 25 frames from once they hit the ground to initiate the jab lock. So if they have too much damage or they get knocked back too far, you won't be able to lock them.
Yeah. If they tech it, they are invincible for a short while as they get up.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hey guy how do you make to spike somebody off the stage with down B or gimp them with bair without committing suicide ?? It seems i always get too low to recover or do not have the time to recover ?

Soul.

Hi Pikachus. I don't want to put this in the actual video thread since it's against a CPU, but I wanted to share this match versus Olimar. It has that d-throw to Thunder combo at the end that I've been rambling about and which I'm still finding to be much more consistent and harder to DI than U-throw to Thunder.
wait what
that's dthrow to thunder?

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Hey guy how do you make to spike somebody off the stage with down B or gimp them with bair without committing suicide ?? It seems i always get too low to recover or do not have the time to recover ?
Save your double jump for recovering and practice some more.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
wait what
that's dthrow to thunder?
Yup. Yay for kill confirms! :D
how do you save your double jump when going of the stage you automatically have only 1 jump left no ?
If you jump from the stage, you still have your double jump left. If you jump while offstage then you lose it. Honestly, Thunder spiking is pretty situational, so you'll be better off by edguarding with b-air or f-air unless they recover high. You should only Thunder offstage if you know that you'll be safe afterwards in most cases.

Last edited:

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
When you are off stage you have to jump and instantly do thunder. That way, the discharge sends you up a little higher to recover.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
So on heavier characters, at 0-15% Dthrow to full hop FF dair works fairly reliably for 24% damage, sometimes with a jab lock or dash attack followup. Just something to keep in mind against the heavies.

Edit: Why does everyone say you need to jump to offstage thunder? After like 10 mins in training mode, I can do it without my double jump, thus allowing me to go deeper. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
So on heavier characters, at 0-15% Dthrow to full hop FF dair works fairly reliably for 24% damage, sometimes with a jab lock or dash attack followup. Just something to keep in mind against the heavies.

Edit: Why does everyone say you need to jump to offstage thunder? After like 10 mins in training mode, I can do it without my double jump, thus allowing me to go deeper. Am I missing something?
no you aren't its just risky to do that. its safer to, when you're already deep, to use your second jump and immediately do thunder. you get like an extra little boost. the reason your way can be a bit risky is you could accidentally fast fall and it'll be very difficult to get back up.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I am still trying to decide my main and secondary my top choice are Luigi, pikachu, megaman, bowser (I had sonic, pit and wario too but i don't seems to have as much fun than using my top 4 but still enjoyable)

I was thinking of going for megaman and pikachu but after reading a lot on both forum each of those character need a lot of commitment for both of them. So it would be better to get 1 main and an easy to learn secondary to learn.

So who would be an easy to learn secondary that cover the Bad MU of pikachu wich are sheik and Diddy mostly ? (Do i have one in those i have mention earlier)

What would be a great main/sec combo ?

Thanks

Last edited:

SSaintly

Smash Rookie
I've been trying here lately to pick up Pikachu, and I'm in need of some more advanced instruction. If there any videos covering the yellow mouse's more adavnced combos, settups, and stuff, I'd greatly appreciate any links. I'm a Little Mac main, but I've been wanting to pick up Pikachu ever since I got one of his amiibos. Weird, huh?

Anyways appreciate the help.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/KUukl3-YIWw?t=12m18s

Would an airdodge by ESAM to dodge the lasers have made it less safe for ESAM to recover? It seems like Zer0 doesn't go super low offstage in this game anyway, so was there even a possibility that ESAM would've gotten more damage if he had airdodged? I just feel like a choice was made in not airdodging those lasers, lol...
or was this only because ESAM was preparing to side-B to the ledge?

Edit, not airdodging the lasers actually happens multiple times in this match. is it just not worth airdodging?

Also, a completely different question:
Is pivot ftilt useful at all? It seems range-y ish, but ftilt still feels kinda unsafe.
I kinda want to punish people when they really stupid dash attack/grabs, but pivot fsmash is punishable, pivot grab doesn't have much reach, pivot ftilt, as said above, feels weird.

Also, when reading a roll, recovery, landing or whatever, when is fsmash the better option, and when is usmash the better option?

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I've been trying here lately to pick up Pikachu, and I'm in need of some more advanced instruction. If there any videos covering the yellow mouse's more adavnced combos, settups, and stuff, I'd greatly appreciate any links. I'm a Little Mac main, but I've been wanting to pick up Pikachu ever since I got one of his amiibos. Weird, huh?

Anyways appreciate the help.
Have you looked at the Pikachu guides? If not, here's the link: http://smashboards.com/guides/categories/pikachu.156/ . I personally like the one made by SuperSwagBros. I think it has what you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/KUukl3-YIWw?t=12m18s

Would an airdodge by ESAM to dodge the lasers have made it less safe for ESAM to recover? It seems like Zer0 doesn't go super low offstage in this game anyway, so was there even a possibility that ESAM would've gotten more damage if he had airdodged? I just feel like a choice was made in not airdodging those lasers, lol...
or was this only because ESAM was preparing to side-B to the ledge?

Edit, not airdodging the lasers actually happens multiple times in this match. is it just not worth airdodging?

Also, a completely different question:
Is pivot ftilt useful at all? It seems range-y ish, but ftilt still feels kinda unsafe.
I kinda want to punish people when they really stupid dash attack/grabs, but pivot fsmash is punishable, pivot grab doesn't have much reach, pivot ftilt, as said above, feels weird.

Also, when reading a roll, recovery, landing or whatever, when is fsmash the better option, and when is usmash the better option?
I think ESAM didn't airdodge because he wanted to use Skull Bash and recover. But in general, I think he just ignored the lasers and focused on doing what he was doing because there is some lag after Fox uses his blaster, so maybe he wanted to get there to punish him faster. And, in my opinion, yielding to the blaster with airdodges would give Fox more control over the match, and so ESAM didn't want to stop his strategy midway just for that.

I usually choose between fsmash and dsmash. When the opponent rolls directly in front of me or behind me, I use fsmash. If he/she tries to roll from behind to in front of me (or vice versa), I try dsmash. I guess you could usmash instead of fsmash when your opponent rolls in front of you or behind and he/she is close to Pikachu's body. That's because fsmash is weaker near the cheeks of Pikachu, so an usmash might be better then.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
2 questions :

1. What do you usefor c-stick what is optimal with pikachu attack or smash ?
2. Any known pikachu main on twitch ?

thanks

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
2 questions :

1. What do you usefor c-stick what is optimal with pikachu attack or smash ?
2. Any known pikachu main on twitch ?

thanks
1. I keep mine at Smash. I don't know if you can do this with the C-stick set to Attack, but Pikachu can also use aerials if it's set to Smash. And it's easier to do an auto-cancelled dair with that setting because all you have to do is jump and hit down on the C-stick at about the same time. With it set to Attack, I think you can do a tilt attack out of a perfect pivot (basically a sliding tilt). I don't think perfect pivots aren't really game-changing for Pikachu, so I prefer having my C-stick set to Smash.

2. I don't know for sure. There is a thread here that lists notable players for a character. For Pikachu, there's:
Captain L
Esam (retired)
Lean
NAKAT
Nitro
Shaky
Shimitake
Z

I'm not sure if any of them have a Twitch account, but you could look. And if not, there are probably some videos on YouTube from tournaments they were in.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
What do you guys think are some of Pika's worst matchups?
Based on what's been said in the matchup thread, it looks like Sheik, Ness, Sonic, Olimar, Mario, and (possibly) Meta Knight are our hardest matchups. From my personal experience, Ness, Mario, and Rosalina and Luma were the only characters I have ever had difficult battles against.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Can you give your thoughts on the some of those matchups numerically (like 60:40 etc.). I looked at the matchup thread but I do not have time to read everyone's post and I did not see any numerical values.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Can you give your thoughts on the some of those matchups numerically (like 60:40 etc.). I looked at the matchup thread but I do not have time to read everyone's post and I did not see any numerical values.
Really, Pika's bad match ups aren't worse than 65:35.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hi i am searching for a speedy character that doesn't have too much of Bad MU to cover my main and i stopped on 2 choice with are Pikachu and Greninja. I would like to know from other people who have experience with it how do those 2 compared to each others, how to they differ from the other ? What are do they have or not have over the other ?

Thanks a lot for the answer

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
hey guys so like i main pikachu but ive been looking for a secondary and i wanted to know who would be a good secondary that would complement pika. thank you!

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Hi i am searching for a speedy character that doesn't have too much of Bad MU to cover my main and i stopped on 2 choice with are Pikachu and Greninja. I would like to know from other people who have experience with it how do those 2 compared to each others, how to they differ from the other ? What are do they have or not have over the other ?

Greninja kills better and lives longer. Pika has a better keepaway game, better mindgames with QA, and a far superior offstage game. Take your pick.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman

Unless Greninja gets buffed, don't bother unless you're going to put serious time into him, and even then be ready to get frustrated. Very slow forward and neutral aerials, extremely small range on his down and up tilts, inexplicably long recovery on forward tilt, no lingering hitboxes on any of his moves (including his dash attack, which is quite a problem), everything is unsafe, worst counter in the game, unreliable KO setups, weak throws, unsafe projectile, and incredibly demanding to play. It's like they wanted to make another fast character like Sheik and Zero Suit but then forgot to give him any moves that suited his fast run speed at all.

Is there a thread or overview for using Quick Attack on the ground?

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Is it just not worth trying to go for that uair hitbox that hits people kind of horizontally? Our tail has range, and I feel like it could be useful in a few situations rather than going for nair.
The uair hitbox that sends people horizontally has a pretty nice trajectory, although it barely has any knockback at all. I feel like a DJ nair from below the opponent might be better than uair in almost all situations.

Is the risk vs reward of uair gimping just not worth it, even if you master getting that uair hitbox?

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Do you guys think Pikachu will be nerfed? (Maybe his Heavy Skull Bash)

Do you guys feel Pikachu needs some buffs? I don't

Soul.

UAir gimping isn't that good imo. You have other options, namely falling BAir.
To answer the other question, no. I don't think Pika will get nerfed. Not sure if they can nerf custom moves.
The character is fine as is. Heavy Skull Bash is a very heated topic but eh.. we just have to wait until April 15th.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Hooray! People are talking on this thread!
Is it just not worth trying to go for that uair hitbox that hits people kind of horizontally? Our tail has range, and I feel like it could be useful in a few situations rather than going for nair.
The uair hitbox that sends people horizontally has a pretty nice trajectory, although it barely has any knockback at all. I feel like a DJ nair from below the opponent might be better than uair in almost all situations.

Is the risk vs reward of uair gimping just not worth it, even if you master getting that uair hitbox?
I think just the fact that uair has less knockback means that nair is more worth it. It moves them farther from the edge, which is what we want when our opponents are offstage. Sending them at an awkward angle would be good against characters who can't recover well, but a lot of character have good recoveries, so it might not work well. I feel that nair could do the same job as that uair angle but better since it can work on characters with good recoveries as well. That's why I think nair is the better option offstage. And I agree with @ Soul. Soul. . Bair is already good at making recovery awkward for your opponent.
But maybe mastering that angle might still be helpful. Perhaps you could use that to send them off the stage in the first place. Maybe it would work when they're in the air and it could catch them by surprise since it would be weird to see Pikachu's uair launch them horizontally.

Do you guys think Pikachu will be nerfed? (Maybe his Heavy Skull Bash)

Do you guys feel Pikachu needs some buffs? I don't
I don't know what they would nerf on Pikachu. In my opinion, it looks fine, but I don't know how they determine what's good and what's bad. (Do they base their buffs and nerfs on data from For Glory?)
They might fix the glitch with Heavy Skull Bash. I know that they do modify customs since they nerfed Charizard's Dragon Rush before. But I hope they don't mess with it. I liked surprising my opponents by shifting all of Pikachu's momentum into its Skull Bash. It was helpful in getting back onto the stage without getting launched again. But oh well. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
As long as they leave QA with very little landing lag, I'm good.

Which is better for gimping- ledge trump to bair or ledge trump to nair? Which is easier to do?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Also: is there a list of thinks Pika's shrunken hurtbox from a bair can avoid? It'd be nice to know what's actually safe.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
As long as they leave QA with very little landing lag, I'm good.

Which is better for gimping- ledge trump to bair or ledge trump to nair? Which is easier to do?
From my personal experience, bair has been more helpful after a ledge trump. With nair, I've sourspotted it by accident before and sometimes I miss because of an air dodge. Neither of these have ever happened to me when I use bair. It's easier and just better for that situation, in my opinion.
But just saying, when I don't do a ledge trump, nair can be pretty helpful.
Because I felt like it, I made this graphic: http://i.imgur.com/OgZQxsl.png
When I don't do a ledge trump, these are the most common attacks I use in the general area around the ledge. Now, time for some disclaimers. The lines are not set in stone. They are not specifically in those exact spots. I just used them to show general zones. And also, those are the moves I use most frequently in those areas, but that does not mean that you shouldn't use other aerials. It's just that those moves helped me in most circumstances in those areas.

Also: is there a list of thinks Pika's shrunken hurtbox from a bair can avoid? It'd be nice to know what's actually safe.
I don't think so. We need to make one then! All I can say off the top of my head is that it avoids everything that Pikachu can avoid while crouching. And Falcon's ftilt misses. It always happens in my matches against Captain Falcon. Good times. :awesome:

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
hey just wanted to let you guys know that if you grab your opponent next to the ledge(their body offstage or close to that) you can just pummel and when they release from your grab you can walk off and do a Bair. almost a guaranteed stage spike for stages with a lip.

Top Bottom