• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd post my silhouettes in the social threads!

Soul.

I wonder if I should make a thread focusing on balance updates. Like, one thread that's about them in general and stuff like that. Thoughts?
Also think the video and users thread needs to be separated. It's mostly a video thread. Players thread could be something else.
...And the matchup thread needs a complete rebranding.

This can be done at a later date. I just want to hear your thoughts.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I wonder if I should make a thread focusing on balance updates. Like, one thread that's about them in general and stuff like that. Thoughts?
Also think the video and users thread needs to be separated. It's mostly a video thread. Players thread could be something else.

You should wait on the balance patch thread until after it's out. It might only effect like one matchup, and would hardly warrent a thread.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

Sure, a thread like that would be helpful. Like what @ Kaladin Kaladin said, we should wait on that for a while.
And yeah, I agree with you about the Player/Video separation and the revamping of the matchup thread.
I really feel like the Pikachu forum here is pretty inactive, and I kinda don't like that. We need to do something about that! :ohwell:

jda7

Smash Rookie
NNID
jda777
@ A10theHero A10theHero Even if you feel that it's inactive and that you need to do something about it, it won't help unless you know exactly why the forums are inactive. I feel these forums are really inactive because there is no driving force behind these forums. There is no real "good" (I use good as in they have a good understanding of pika) player here being active and constantly posting thoughts, discoveries, etc. Without some key person(s) driving discussion, it will just remain pretty dead. At least, that's my take on the matter. Seriously, this board sometimes goes a day or more without any discussion... pretty sad.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
So this is the Pika Social thread...
7.8/10 not enough Quick Attacks

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Yeah... It's a bit of a catch 22. These boards won't develop without some really good, active Pika players won't be created or come here unless these boards are active...

Soul.

The majority of the character boards are "inactive" because the norm right now is Skype, Reddit or Facebook.
Reddit sucks, Facebook sucks and Skype is meh. I'm not going to the first 2.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The majority of the character boards are "inactive" because the norm right now is Skype, Reddit or Facebook.
Reddit sucks, Facebook sucks and Skype is meh. I'm not going to the first 2.
Maybe this will cheer you up.

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Just recently decided to main Pikachu and thought I'd check out the forum:4pikachu:
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this, but is anyone willing to help me out/mentor me? I'm really struggling with the character and I'm open to playing online or reading some good guides!
Thank you in advance and sorry in advance if this isn't the right thread to ask.

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Just recently decided to main Pikachu and thought I'd check out the forum:4pikachu:
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this, but is anyone willing to help me out/mentor me? I'm really struggling with the character and I'm open to playing online or reading some good guides!
Thank you in advance and sorry in advance if this isn't the right thread to ask.

im down to help :)

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Coming back from some soul searching and settling on Pikachu, Ill try and be active as much as I can, so Ill start with a proper introduction.
My gamer tag is Pogo, I main Diddy Kong with a Pikachu secondary, but trying to make him my main.
I consider myself to be a reasonably good player, though a lot of my faults come from lack of match up knowledge due to my limited opponents (I kick Toon link and Greninja ass though).
Feel free to ask me for advice etc.

Here's some online footage I played with the guy who got me into competitive smash (He doesnt main Jiggs). This was also recorded as I played so you might notice some lag.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
@ A10theHero A10theHero Even if you feel that it's inactive and that you need to do something about it, it won't help unless you know exactly why the forums are inactive. I feel these forums are really inactive because there is no driving force behind these forums. There is no real "good" (I use good as in they have a good understanding of pika) player here being active and constantly posting thoughts, discoveries, etc. Without some key person(s) driving discussion, it will just remain pretty dead. At least, that's my take on the matter. Seriously, this board sometimes goes a day or more without any discussion... pretty sad.
So the only way for me to help make these forums better is if I...git gud. :p

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Coming back from some soul searching and settling on Pikachu, Ill try and be active as much as I can, so Ill start with a proper introduction.
My gamer tag is Pogo, I main Diddy Kong with a Pikachu secondary, but trying to make him my main.
I consider myself to be a reasonably good player, though a lot of my faults come from lack of match up knowledge due to my limited opponents (I kick Toon link and Greninja *** though).
Feel free to ask me for advice etc.

Here's some online footage I played with the guy who got me into competitive smash (He doesnt main Jiggs). This was also recorded as I played so you might notice some lag.

Two things I noticed. First, when someone doesn't DI the Uthrow thunder at all, they'll be launched in the direction Pika is facing. Because of this, if you can get the timing, if you're toward one side of the stage or the other, you should hop and B-reverse the thunder. If you had done that, Jiggs would have been very dead.

Second, if you get the thunder spike onstage but not the other hotbox, a quick dash attack will almost always catch them. I enjoy thunder shenanigans a lot, so I thought I may as well let you know.

Edit- one other thing. I dunno if this was on purpose, but you were short hopping neutral b a lot. To my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, full hopping is almost always better.

Last edited:

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Two things I noticed. First, when someone doesn't DI the Uthrow thunder at all, they'll be launched in the direction Pika is facing. Because of this, if you can get the timing, if you're toward one side of the stage or the other, you should hop and B-reverse the thunder. If you had done that, Jiggs would have been very dead.

Second, if you get the thunder spike onstage but not the other hotbox, a quick dash attack will almost always catch them. I enjoy thunder shenanigans a lot, so I thought I may as well let you know.

Edit- one other thing. I dunno if this was on purpose, but you were short hopping neutral b a lot. To my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, full hopping is almost always better.
Thanks for the advice, I wasent aware of the B-reverse thunder trick, Ill have to give it a go.
I usually follow up with an upsmash if they miss the tech on the thunder spike, but my opponent teched it nicely

The shorthops were just input errors, I only did it a few times though so it didnt hurt me too much :p

Thanks for the feedback :)

Ive got a few more matches I can upload, but theres a lot of SDs in them due to lag etc, but I can upload them if you want

EDIT:

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Pogoshark Pogoshark
#1: you rely on Tjolt way too much, and you're also overly aggressive with it, this led to you taking chunks of percent-and losing your spacing many times

#2: you really need to advance your combo game, scoring a hit on Ganon should spell near death for him

#3: use your tail attacks much more-ALL of them. Space yourself in the neutral with Dtilt, only going in when you have the advantage

Control the air and ground as your opponent is aerial with Utilt/Uair

#4: practice using Fair, you seem to not have much ability with it. It is probably our second most lethal electrical attack

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
hey just wanted to let you guys know that if you grab your opponent next to the ledge(their body offstage or close to that) you can just pummel and when they release from your grab you can walk off and do a Bair. almost a guaranteed stage spike for stages with a lip.
This is some old tech. most of the cast can benefit from doing this

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
there is an online pika tourney sat. and sun.

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
sup chu's! :< is there anyone who I can send my replay's to from my DS so they could post online for me? I don't have a capture card, and recording with a phone... I can't even imagine. X,D

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Hey guys.
Visitor from Bowser Jr. boards here.
Ran into this Pika that abused the hell out of Quick attack.
HOW DO YOU PUNISH THIS MOVE? IT IS INSANE. GENEROUS HITBOXES, AWESOME CONTROL OVER MOVEMENT WHILE ATTACKING, PRIORITY SEEMS THROUGH THE ROOF, LEAVES HIM WITH NO ENDLAG ON THE GROUND...
I don't know what to say. If it wasn't for Quick attack, Jr. would have a clear advantage over Pikachu...

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Hey guys.
HOW DO YOU PUNISH THIS MOVE? IT IS INSANE. GENEROUS HITBOXES, AWESOME CONTROL OVER MOVEMENT WHILE ATTACKING, PRIORITY SEEMS THROUGH THE ROOF, LEAVES HIM WITH NO ENDLAG ON THE GROUND...
I don't know what to say. If it wasn't for Quick attack, Jr. would have a clear advantage over Pikachu...
Well, if you get a read on it, any decently powerful long-lasting hitbox (all of your smashes) will inturrupt it. I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if your clown car inturrupts it.

Now, if you don't have the second zip to get away, QA is super unsafe on shield. If you stay two zips away from him, he can't use it as a safe option on your shield.

However, take this all with a grain of salt. I'm far from an expert.

Last edited:

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
Hey guys.
well bowser jr has projectiles. those do a good fob at stopping it. also any acting hitbox will knock pikachu out. so you could literally hold jab sometimes. also that mecha koopa will also blow pikachu out of QA. plus shielding it is always the best option and then gaining distance.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
the best way to stop QA is move reading tbh follow your opponents patterns and predict where he may land when close to you, you can shield the second zip if he comes close and on the little landing lag it has (depending on where they land) you can hit a down smash or a grab on him. it may be useful to mention you can grab pika out of QA during the first zip

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
the best way to stop QA is move reading tbh follow your opponents patterns and predict where he may land when close to you, you can shield the second zip if he comes close and on the little landing lag it has (depending on where they land) you can hit a down smash or a grab on him. it may be useful to mention you can grab pika out of QA during the first zip
I don't think you understand.
None of those options are available.
Jr's grab takes 12-14 frames to kick in.... far too long to punish QA. Also, his Dsmash leaves him with a TON of end lag and usually results in Pika grabbing him instead.

If i stay farther away, he just spams thunder shock until either I approach or he builds up damage.
Not only that but because he's MUCH faster Pikachu usually dictates the match's pacing and has better control over his spacing than me. I mean, I can keep him at a fork's length, but any farther and I have almost no control over how close Pika gets...
I see it as more of a nuisance, but occasionally it can be used to start a string that results in a kill if he hits me both times....
The MK needs to be released from far away or else I get punished by Pikachu. I do try my best to keep the MK nearby, but Pikachu has better control over where he will be and usually the MK doesn't help much.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
you really should play more pikas and work on timing then. use MK as a distraction, you dont have to focus your game around it. and if he keeps getting you with QA then you aren't shielding enough. and learn how to power shield against projectiles. it really helps your game out.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I don't think you understand.
None of those options are available.
Jr's grab takes 12-14 frames to kick in.... far too long to punish QA. Also, his Dsmash leaves him with a TON of end lag and usually results in Pika grabbing him instead.

If i stay farther away, he just spams thunder shock until either I approach or he builds up damage.
Not only that but because he's MUCH faster Pikachu usually dictates the match's pacing and has better control over his spacing than me. I mean, I can keep him at a fork's length, but any farther and I have almost no control over how close Pika gets...
I see it as more of a nuisance, but occasionally it can be used to start a string that results in a kill if he hits me both times....
The MK needs to be released from far away or else I get punished by Pikachu. I do try my best to keep the MK nearby, but Pikachu has better control over where he will be and usually the MK doesn't help much.
Quick Attack is super-super good, you'll just have to get better as a player, sorry. And even if we didn't have Quick Attack, we still have quick combo starting tail attacks and a nasty Fair/Dair to do quite a lot of work

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I'm working on grab realease to Fsmash. Is how far you go when released effected by %? Does it work only on the grounded realse, as in when they don't mash? It seems like when they mash out they go way too far for the smash.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Then why is the general concensus 'round these parts that it works? I really see no value in calling something that appears to be a common technique pitiful without any elaboration.

Top Bottom