• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I want to step my pikachu game a notch and i want to learn quick attack ledge cancel. Is there anywhere where this AT is explain in depth ? thanks

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I want to step my pikachu game a notch and i want to learn quick attack ledge cancel. Is there anywhere where this AT is explain in depth ? thanks
There's not much to explain, if you're talking about ledge canceling and not platform canceling. Just go in training and land near the kedge until you get it down.

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
Kinda risky tech, that's very situational I think. I actually been trying to trump with QA at the ledge.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
There's not much to explain, if you're talking about ledge canceling and not platform canceling. Just go in training and land near the kedge until you get it down.
I though ledge and platform was the same thing xD Well i guess i really do need more information. For ledge basically you only SH than angle the quick attack for the ledge and that is it ? Would you mind telling me the difference on a platform ?

Kinda risky tech, that's very situational I think. I actually been trying to trump with QA at the ledge.
Well at the moment i trump more often than ledge cancel when i try

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I though ledge and platform was the same thing xD Well i guess i really do need more information. For ledge basically you only SH than angle the quick attack for the ledge and that is it ? Would you mind telling me the difference on a platform ?

To my knowledge, canceling on a moving platform is dofferent input-wise from ledge canceling, but it's basically the same thing. Shorthopping then diagonally QAing down works, but you can do it from anywhere as long as the second zip is diagonal.

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
How's your gimp and edge-guard game then? I personally am still working on outside game since racking damage isn't a problem.

As for QAC on stage-edges. I assume it's just a matter of sweet spotting the angle but in a fast-paced match since you are using pikachu, it's highly probable you may SD or get stage spiked, after all, you aren't invincible during QA.

And unfortunately, QA only has a set few angles to work with so it'll be tough, and factor in a VERY SLIGHT input lag, and your QAC will just not register properly.

To test for any input lag, I always throw a thunder jolt in the start to see the lag between jumping and the input etc. This isn't just an issue on the DS in FG, you cannot control the TV's that tourney's use and what-have-you, and they still go on even with very minuscule lag, so in a scenario like that, are you really going to risk a sexy QAC at the end of a stage? XD

Last edited:

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
some people think they changed is ledge time adding more delay, but i cant check rn. can someone check please?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah, he seems pretty normal. Everything is pretty much the same. I'm glad the Heavy Skull Bash momentum glitch is still there. :grin:

Soul.

The only thing that changed is that the ledge time is now standard with all characters. Not really bothered by that.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
What's the momentum glitch?
Pretty much everything @ Pogoshark Pogoshark said. You can use this move to confuse your opponent and get back onto the stage without getting knocked off again or having to deal with your opponent's edgeguarding (if you're high up).
Okay, so I felt like I rely on Pikachu's smashes too much, so I changed my c-stick to tilt. Was this a good idea? What are the pros and cons of having c-sticks set to attacks rather than smashes and vice versa?

Soul.

Having your C-Stick set to Attack instead of Smash Attack makes you have more freedom in movement. Having it in Smash Attack restricts your movement if you use both the control stick and C-Stick at the same time.
Smash is the better choice imo as you can perfect pivot fsmash (although situational) as an example. You really don't gain anything by using Attack on the C-Stick other than what I just said.

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
so there are 32 QA angles to what i hear. now can someone tell me, depending on where i am at the moment what two angle inputs must be put to trump the platform ?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Having your C-Stick set to Attack instead of Smash Attack makes you have more freedom in movement. Having it in Smash Attack restricts your movement if you use both the control stick and C-Stick at the same time.
Smash is the better choice imo as you can perfect pivot fsmash (although situational) as an example. You really don't gain anything by using Attack on the C-Stick other than what I just said.
so you can't perfect pivot fsmash with just the a button?

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
Pretty much everything @ Pogoshark Pogoshark said. You can use this move to confuse your opponent and get back onto the stage without getting knocked off again or having to deal with your opponent's edgeguarding (if you're high up).
Okay, so I felt like I rely on Pikachu's smashes too much, so I changed my c-stick to tilt. Was this a good idea? What are the pros and cons of having c-sticks set to attacks rather than smashes and vice versa?
I play on the DS and since I lack a C-stick, I actually don't use Smashes enough... interesting huh? :< I don't think it was necessary to do so if you want to stop relying on smashes just... well, stop using smashes :p and opt for tilts instead. Hard to do in fast-paced battles or when in panic mode, but it's just something to work on and you'll have it down eventually AND you get to keep your smash-stick :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
but ive done it before? and i use a nunchuck and wii remote.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Training Mode's damage counter is jank.
I could've sworn that fthrow was changed from 13% -> 10% and that dthrow was changed from 5% -> 8%.
My Training counter was registering dthrow as doing 8% for a period of time right after the patch. Now it's back, saying that dthrow does ONE hit with 5%.
dthrow is in fact, doing 8%.
So... counter is unreliable. It's surprising how late I realize this.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
so you can't perfect pivot fsmash with just the a button?
I've been able to as well. It's more difficult than f-tilt, but if you move the control stick/circle pad sharply enough, it should work. The a+b thing should make it easier, though I haven't tried it yet.

Also yay for no Pika nerfs! (aside from the ledge grab time thing, but w/e)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I have returned to Pikachu.

My intentions were never to leave this character completely. I just needed to do some growing as a player before I felt like I was up to the task of playing this character at a high level. I have work I would like to do here. This character is nothing short of amazing yet the knowledge network we have here is really unorganized and lacking. I'm not saying the community here is. But we don't have the resources we need to bring out Pikachu's potential. Time to get to work.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I have returned to Pikachu.

My intentions were never to leave this character completely. I just needed to do some growing as a player before I felt like I was up to the task of playing this character at a high level. I have work I would like to do here. This character is nothing short of amazing yet the knowledge network we have here is really unorganized and lacking. I'm not saying the community here is. But we don't have the resources we need to bring out Pikachu's potential. Time to get to work.
I'm too nooby to help much with that, but I fully agree.

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
This is pika-related because I'm always trying to go for the pikacopter-stage spikes: I'm practicing trumping on the DS, and even when not in an online match, the ledge-snapping while running passed the ledge is inconsistent. Even if I hold down the direction, sometimes pika just snaps onto the ledge... and then other times it works fine. I thought it was distance related from the edge, but it doesn't seem that way.

Has anyone else had that problem? I feel this is really important because it's just precious seconds wasted getting out of the snap then into a pikacopter. QACing off the ledge, that's just too risky imo. Jumping first then fast falling is also too slow.

I thought at first I was just inputting pikacopter too early, but I tested this by just running off the edge and it happens still.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
I enjoyed Pikachu in Brawl, except I was terrible and no one would play with me since there were few Brawl players in the area when I started.

On the 3DS, I saw good success with Pikachu and Sheik. I saw more success with Sheik than Pikachu on Wii U, perhaps because we have a lot of Falcons and Sheik's ftilt gives most new Falcons nightmares.

They've improved, and though I have to, I think I want to play Pikachu - a ton of fun to play and I feel like learning to play Pikachu proficiently would actually improve my smash game as a whole a ton [I play Link in Melee and PM]. So I'm looking to be able to change that main icon to a Pikachu [Falco's under 3DS because I do 3DS almost entirely for fun due to the lack of events, and I enjoy Falco despite his newfound mediocrity].

I'm bad at QA shenanigans though [and I was in Brawl as well] and I don't have a Wii U setup, so this could be rough, but I'll try to keep at it and hopefully start to dual-main them until I can make the jump to a Pika main with a Sheik backup [since I doubt I'd ever fully drop Sheik, since she feels very easy to play when crouch-cancelling doesn't exist]. What basic combos/mixups (if they exist - I've heard they do but I don't know what they are) should I practice from QA on my 3DS and what percent ranges do they work? And would practicing QA ledge shenanigans on Battlefield easily transfer to the Wii U version (if anyone knows)?

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
one issue i noticed with a lot of pika mains, is that they don't control the stage with QA, i hope esam can explain the importants of QA in a regular mix up.

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
Shoutouts to Tech for returning to Pika! I'm really happy to see that man, it gives me someone to talk to about my play in the area who is keeping up with the meta. Speaking of Tech, he pointed out a nice kill setup to me I had never really thought of. I was always overcomplicating it when I tried to kill, my usual setup was FF fair to sweetspot dtilt to running upsmash, but he pointed out that I can just upsmash right out of the fair!

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
It's not a combo, it's a mixup. And I will say I find it exceedingly rare for anyone to shield from hitting the ground while caught in FF fair, that's the same reason I can usually hit a dilt (though to be fair it could be shield poking) It's not something to rely on, but it's a good option

Angiance

Smash Lord
You say it's something unreliable, and immediately follow up that sentence with "it's a good option"..contradictory statement

If you perform a Falling F.Air on your opponent, the only choice they really have is Shield since it is active on frame 1, this is why Falling F.Air > Grab is optimal. If the opponent does anything other than Shield after getting caught by Falling F.Air, it will not come out quickly enough-any good opponent will just Shield since getting thrown is better than getting hit by a strong follow up

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I think we are talking about this in different ways. I'm saying carrying them down from the air with a FF Fair and upsmashing as soon as you both hit the ground, I don't believe they can shield if you are carrying them correctly. Not using FF Fair on the ground to approach.

Top Bottom