• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I love :4charizard: but I'm done doing constant uphill matches.

I tried :4ness: but he's not my style.

Then I found :4falcon: and all was right in the world.

So now I use :4pikachu:/:4falcon: and it's working great. Sometimes I just want a little more range/power while going fast.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
My results this weekend:

Rebirth:

5th out of 25 teams
17th out of 65 singles

Gamer's Gauntlet:

3rd out of 17 teams
9th out of 40 singles

I saw soooooo much improvement this weekend. Officially leveled up. And I found my secondary finally.
Very respectable results! Good job repping Pika.

Soul.

Oh, your secondary is Falcon Tech? That's cool.
I don't know what is my secondary. I only play online and don't care about tournaments; I watch the latter in streams though.

ZTD | TECHnology

Very respectable results! Good job repping Pika.
Thanks! I learned how to not think of tournament matches as such but to view them as any other match. And my tech skill began to flourish in tournament since. And I play so much smarter now. Now I just need more experience and practice. I felt like I broke a big barrier this weekend.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Nice work TC, putting in work as usual.

On that note of character back ups, it could be a nice fireside conversation to talk about who our alts are as certain MU's can be quite difficult for pika (even though we dont really know the game to well yet and MU's are still being figured out as either good or bad)

I for one main pika (hurrrr) :4pikachu: and alt Ike :4myfriends:. Though currently I am in the process of learning shulk better as he just seems like a better ike in this itiration. Eventually ill make the transition from :4myfriends: to :4shulk:.

Get ready to Feel It Boyz :4shulk::4shulk::4shulk:

Soul.

I still don't know who is my secondary and most likely won't know that until MUs are discovered as Latias said.

Shulk seems like a better Ike with Monado stances and (possibly) better range. That NAir tho lol.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Good stuff Technical_chase. Pikachu has made me regain my competitive spirit for this game. =D

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Hey TC I meant to ask you: xsoul and I were planing on sitting down and talking about stages, we were looking to get input from other active pikas on stage opinions if you'd like to be in our Skype group to discuss with us.

I agree too, the boards could use a spark. I've let out a few threads but have been mulling some ideas around for new topics to write on. Thinking we could use a good compendium to reference every good thread that hasn't been stickied yet.

Also xsoul you are amazing for calling me latias lol <3

NNID
Budget_Player
How do you kill with this character? I can't for the life of me figure it out - I'm left fishing for random smashes. It feels like the only things that kill below like 200% are Fsmash, Usmash, and Dash Attack, none of which are safe on block or particularly easy to land. What should I be doing? It's just so ****ing demoralizing to control the match and then not be able to kill before they've taken a stock, because with rage around 150, Pikachu dies to Link's Fsmash at like 40 ****ing percent.

I don't know what to do. How do I get past this?

Soul.

How do you kill with this character? I can't for the life of me figure it out - I'm left fishing for random smashes. It feels like the only things that kill below like 200% are Fsmash, Usmash, and Dash Attack, none of which are safe on block or particularly easy to land. What should I be doing? It's just so ****ing demoralizing to control the match and then not be able to kill before they've taken a stock, because with rage around 150, Pikachu dies to Link's Fsmash at like 40 ****ing percent.

I don't know what to do. How do I get past this?
You wait until the opponent does their attack and punish them right away with up smash. Pikachu gets KOs by either reads or punishes.
I get that Link is a hard MU for Pikachu but there's always a way to work around it.

NNID
Budget_Player
It's literally every matchup. I cannot find a matchup where I'm not dying 30-100% earlier than my opponent. And I don't get it. I can't punish with Usmash, because it's got ****ty range and people don't just throw out really laggy bull**** at random at kill%. I look for it, but it never comes. I try for landing punishes but I don't get them unless I'm playing against someone like Luigi - somehow I'm always facing the wrong direction, and against, say, Ness? I'm dead at 100% off of one ****up like that, lower if he's got rage.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
It's literally every matchup. I cannot find a matchup where I'm not dying 30-100% earlier than my opponent. And I don't get it. I can't punish with Usmash, because it's got ****ty range and people don't just throw out really laggy bull**** at random at kill%. I look for it, but it never comes. I try for landing punishes but I don't get them unless I'm playing against someone like Luigi - somehow I'm always facing the wrong direction, and against, say, Ness? I'm dead at 100% off of one ****up like that, lower if he's got rage.
Best thing ya can do is save replays of yourself, and study how you play to find flaws in your gameplay that need to be mended

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I'm fairly new to playing Pikachu, so Pikaveterans feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a part of getting earlier kills is effective edgeguarding. Dair and Nair to send them off and Thunder jolt mixups to bait airdodges or hit them again after which you can Dair/Nair to punish airdodges or second jumps/recoveries. Thunderstalling also works wonders as a mixup and the thunder might hit them, too.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Hey TC I meant to ask you: xsoul and I were planing on sitting down and talking about stages, we were looking to get input from other active pikas on stage opinions if you'd like to be in our Skype group to discuss with us.

I agree too, the boards could use a spark. I've let out a few threads but have been mulling some ideas around for new topics to write on. Thinking we could use a good compendium to reference every good thread that hasn't been stickied yet.

Also xsoul you are amazing for calling me latias lol <3

I've been meaning to get involved with the Skype group, so sure.

And yeah it's time we get organized: An index, weekly MU discussions, video analysis, a dedicated text based guide etc. We're never gonna prove our potential in the state the Pika boards are in now. Now that I KNOW Pikachu is for me, it's time to accelerate things a bit.

Killing is the 2nd most troublesome part of metagame, next to the upkeep of our technical ability. I find most of my legitimate, well timed kills come from hard reads > F or U Smash. Which means you need to be top notch and reads and conditioning if you want respectable kills. YOLO Smashes (especially Down Smash) are almost never worth it.

Next most common kills I score come from edge guards that result in gimps or Nair/Bair/Dair kills off stage.

Next is Dash Attack. It seemed risky at first but I rarely use it outside of the moments its guaranteed. So if someone sees me dash toward them, they're more likely to roll or spotdodge instead of shield. I've been finding this move increasingly useful when used sparingly/selectively. (For kills).

After that is Thunder kills. I get more from Up Throw > read DI > Thunderspike into Pikachu than I do from Thunder kill off the top.

At 140% ish +, FF Fair to Up Smash has been working very well for me.

Lastly, if I'm just having a lot of issues killing and I'm fearing Rage, then I end up just playing very very defensively until U Throw or Nair kills. That's if all other methods appear to be failing. I had to time out multiple people this weekend. It's not my preferred style but Rage is a game changer.

We don't get the luxury of kill setups or brainless Back Throws. We gotta work for it. It's just how we do.

Last edited:

Soul.

I'm fairly new to playing Pikachu, so Pikaveterans feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a part of getting earlier kills is effective edgeguarding. Dair and Nair to send them off and Thunder jolt mixups to bait airdodges or hit them again after which you can Dair/Nair to punish airdodges or second jumps/recoveries. Thunderstalling also works wonders as a mixup and the thunder might hit them, too.
You're right. Pikachu can get kills by edgeguarding. Everything else you said is correct (Thunder Jolt is good for edgeguards, DAir is also good but eh, FAir is better. Like you can still use DAir, but it's best for Pika to be safe with FAir offstage.)
Thunder is a very potent edgeguarding tool. I still remember those days when everyone thought it was a nerf but it turned out to be a buff lmao.

I've been meaning to get involved with the Skype group, so sure.

And yeah it's time we get organized: An index, weekly MU discussions, video analysis, a dedicated text based guide etc. We're never gonna prove our potential in the state the Pika boards are in now. Now that I KNOW Pikachu is for me, it's time to accelerate things a bit.
These boards have been pretty inactive lately, so being organized here is a good thing as you said. We should definitely accelerate things. Don't know how could we make weekly MU discussions as there is only one MU thread. If we made one with weekly stuff, it would be a lot better.

But eh. Could make a thread consisting of all the useful threads (while giving credit to the user who made them of course) so that it can be a sticky. Once there are more useful threads (there are some already, but I'd need more), I would do it....unless I feel like doing it now.

Now time for an obligatory GIF:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
TC add me on skype and we can get the group chat going. my skype is LatiasLulu

Also since we are at it...

Last edited:

CatStache

Smash Cadet
NNID
CatStache
Hello Pikachu social board, I would like to know your opinion a ZSS and Pikachu team pairing for doubles.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Pikachu's strengths rely on being able to gimp, kill off the top early with thunder which comes out on frame 1 now, and his small strings that rack up damage. I can see that team doing well if setups are given, such as ZSS dsmash to pika thundering at the right time. Id say in general pika teams well with people who hit hard since he has many ways to get people into hits with throws and tilts, but lacks the ability to kill early. If say you as ZSS did an uair string to up-b pika could then combo off that with thunder to secure the kill.

Personally I think pika has better partners such as shulk and ike, but that team i can see as working well given that pika is handed the opportunities to kill early with thunder and is also reciprocating by throwing/tilting things for you to follow up on.

NNID
Budget_Player
I think Pika really wants to be teamed with a heavy. He's virtually the definition of a fragile speedster in smash, able to rack up damage pretty quick but with lousy kill moves, and he dies very early. You want someone who can stock tank and land kill moves. Shulk and Ike aren't poor choices, but c'mon. Go big or go home. Run Pika/Bowser.

As for Pika/ZSS, I just don't feel like either has much to offer the other. Pikachu doesn't benefit nearly as much as some other chars from ZSS's dsmash setups, and Pika's juggle combos seem very awkward for ZSS to capitalize on.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I think Pika really wants to be teamed with a heavy. He's virtually the definition of a fragile speedster in smash, able to rack up damage pretty quick but with lousy kill moves, and he dies very early. You want someone who can stock tank and land kill moves. Shulk and Ike aren't poor choices, but c'mon. Go big or go home. Run Pika/Bowser.

As for Pika/ZSS, I just don't feel like either has much to offer the other. Pikachu doesn't benefit nearly as much as some other chars from ZSS's dsmash setups, and Pika's juggle combos seem very awkward for ZSS to capitalize on.
I partially agree with you. Where our opinions differ is Pikachu's role in doubles. Middleweight or heavyweight teammates are nice but not required. The traditional "Speedy aggessor/fat stock tank" method is tried and true. But there is so many ways to approach team composition. The only thing thats really required is that someone needs to needs to be in the mix and someone needs to hold stocks. Heavyweights may last longer but they also get hit more, receive damage faster, and typically cannot get away and reset as easily. In addition, few characters are as competent off stage as we are.

We can actually stock tank just fine. Being light is a disadvantage but being very mobile and having a small frame makes Pikachu really difficult to catch. I find myself living to 150% consistently when I'm the stock tank. And we can land kills. Thunder off the top from a teammate's setup is godlike. And its much easier to land F Smash or Up Smash in doubles. We can perform either role in doubles the same way we can play aggressively or defensively in singles.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
This is probably the dumbest question I'll ever ask, but, what's a good way to practice Pikachu's recovery?
I'd say I'm decent at best with Pikachu when I'm onstage and fighting, but as soon as I'm knocked offstage or go deep for gimps I almost always screw up his recovery and die at really low %s...

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Just pick a stage you want to practice on, skull bash so offstage so you keep your jump, then use your jump and QA and practice getting on stage

It really just comes with practice but you'll get it over time. You can also practice various angles on stage as well

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hi guys. I played Pikachu a lot in the demo and now that I have the full version of SSB43DS, I'm going to submain him and possibly main him in the future. I love his edguarding and combos and I've recently been integrating onstage Quick Attack into my game more after watching some ESAM matches. So I'll be sticking around. :)

Soul.

someone give me a basic rundown of pikachu? what i should approach with, basic combos?
Quick Attack for approaching. Dashing and shielding works too. Use full hop Thunder Jolts vs. characters that don't have a projectile.
As for combos, they depend on the opponent's DI. Up tilt → Up air → Back air is an example of a combo. You can also start with fast fall forward airs to confirm an up tilt.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Zef Zef
Approach by walking forward as if you're gonna Dtilt, but jumping away for a Landing Fair or SH Fair, you can also dash in for a SH Nair if you see an opening

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sup guys i think qac makes pikachu super broken so i'm maining him now haha

watching this thread/forum

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I keep seeing ESAM go for Fthrow to tech chase at low percents. Can somebody explain this to me? Why is this a good option? I would think that dthrow would give more guaranteed damage, and I know that Fthrow dash attack is a true combo at low percents too

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Hoenn Hoenn
Fthrow is very good for setups, and while it doesn't true combo for things, it offers a higher award than other throws if you can make a clean conversion off of it

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
@ Hoenn Hoenn
Fthrow is very good for setups, and while it doesn't true combo for things, it offers a higher award than other throws if you can make a clean conversion off of it
Do you Know the exact mixups though? This is what I see, correct me if I am wrong! I always see ESAM go for:
Dair: He always goes for Dair because he has enough time to still cover other options, but it covers tech in place
Dsmash: to cover roll away and missed tech (?)
Nair: running nair to only cover roll away (might be based off reaction)
I don't think I have ever seen him cover roll in...

Even if he connects any of these things though, he will generally do less damage and put them in a better spot than if he just did a dthrow string, unless you get them offstage

Last edited:

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
sup guys i think qac makes pikachu super broken so i'm maining him now haha

watching this thread/forum
I assume you mean Quick Attack just actually having hitstun and low landing lag in this game. QAC only works on slanted terrain or moving platforms and it's a lot more situationally useful.

QA is mad good in this game, especially for giving you a free aerial followup even at %s approaching 100, but lucky for everyone else none of Pika's aerials actually kill on stage below like 180%, so it's not as broken as it would be on pretty much any other character.

Soul.

Yes, QA is ridiculous. If I recall correctly it's difficult to punish although I would like it if someone proved me wrong.
I honestly prefer Smash 4 QA over Brawl QA. As much as QACs are fun, having hitstun with low landing lag means you get a free aerial as Psyant said lol.

You can QAC in stuff like Lylat anyways, so it's not a big deal.

ZTD | TECHnology

I find my tech skill has grown considerably since the last tournament. I also find my decision making process has graduated. Curious to see how well I do next weekend. Watching my videos has helped a lot.

PF9

Smash Lord
Anyone of the belief that the Pikachu in the Smash games is the same one that belongs to Ash in the Pokemon anime? I happen to be one of those. Ash's Pikachu is no ordinary Pikachu, which has been said time to time on that show. Back in the original Smash, Pikachu ranked #1 on the tier list, and in Brawl, ranked in the top 10.

Top Bottom