• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
yes and yes.
Okay. Now I understand for sure. It makes sense, because only during the first match as a featured character does that little notice appear at the bottom of the screen saying "This is part of Conquest" or something like that.
Extra battles I have as Pikachu during other rounds for the next few hours never hurt, anyway.
Thanks, you guys.
Now I know I gotta play as Pika once every 16 hours for this Conquest round.

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
I don't understand... I lost a battle that was part of Conquest... but instead of points being deducted I got 2? Oh well.

I wonder where I need to improve most... :confused:

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Who were you playing against? Ask Angiance, he'll be able to help you. :)
That particular loss was against Wario. I think most of my losses have to do with failure to read other players, not dodging/shielding at the right times, and not punishing the opponent's defensive actions.

Speaking of which, I also lost many games in team battles against Yoshi and Ness yesterday. Again, they avoided my attacks easily and I fell into traps often. While my teammate and opponents were all people on my friends list, they couldn't really give me any good pointers on what I need to improve on most. Oh well. :ohwell:

My scrubbiness aside, at least I can say I've never lost to a Little Mac on For Glory with Pikachu, even the ones who seem to know what they're doing. :smirk:

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
That particular loss was against Wario. I think most of my losses have to do with failure to read other players, not dodging/shielding at the right times, and not punishing the opponent's defensive actions.

Speaking of which, I also lost many games in team battles against Yoshi and Ness yesterday. Again, they avoided my attacks easily and I fell into traps often. While my teammate and opponents were all people on my friends list, they couldn't really give me any good pointers on what I need to improve on most. Oh well. :ohwell:

My scrubbiness aside, at least I can say I've never lost to a Little Mac on For Glory with Pikachu, even the ones who seem to know what they're doing. :smirk:
You'll get better at reading and junk if you're strong spirited about it. Play on~

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
The difference between a Master and a Beginner is that the Master has lost more times than the beginner has tried.
As long as you learn from it, carry on.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So if you don't see me playing, look for me commentating on Clash Tournaments stream this weekend. I'll give some shoutouts to all my Pika brethren.

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Well o' course I won't ever stop playing Smash against others, even if I continue losing most of the time. It's a fun game no matter what. :b:

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
I feel like I need to learn or think up different methods of KOing opponents. It's strange. Maybe it's just me, but I feel Pika's smash attacks don't send characters far enough until higher percentages? Often times I'm trying to stack damage up to 200 percent before the opponent will finally blast off the screen. I'm still not very good defensively and I wish to win those close matches that Pikachu couldn't live through.

I hope I can become a little more advanced, but I don't know where to start. I only really have a good handle on Smash basics.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I feel like I need to learn or think up different methods of KOing opponents. It's strange. Maybe it's just me, but I feel Pika's smash attacks don't send characters far enough until higher percentages? Often times I'm trying to stack damage up to 200 percent before the opponent will finally blast off the screen. I'm still not very good defensively and I wish to win those close matches that Pikachu couldn't live through.

I hope I can become a little more advanced, but I don't know where to start. I only really have a good handle on Smash basics.
his dsmash basically never kills, his fsmash has like 3 or 4 hitboxes and only one kills respectably, and his usmash only has one good hitbox as well. so yeah even though his smashes are generally his better kill options they're still terrible lol. i recommend going for usmashes around 120-140 on most chars as a punish option on laggy moves, or OoS.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
So just wondering, with the new meteor effect and all, is it even possible to get out of upthrow+thunder?
I mean there's dodging the throws but the game always feels unresponsive like I can't immediately back out of a move like I've seen a lot of players do (like instantly shielding and dodging after a grab miss)

Any way of actually punishing it?

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
When you are grabbed, just hold to the left or the right and you'll get out of upthrow>Thunder. If you get grabbed, you probably can't punish the throw because you get sent up too high, but you can at least avoid the Thunder.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Ive seen up-throw thunder land more than Id normally think it would against good players. I think it might be like fox's uthrow > uair combo in melee, where if you grab and throw really fast they have a very limited time to react with good DI.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I've been having a hard time recovering from when I get juggled. I try to Quick Attack to a safe spot but only really manage it some of the time. Skull Bash has been nice due to its distance buff, but the lag on it you really gotta work around and it's easily read and punished if you aren't careful. I'm also bad with punishing and spacing, I tend to miss some of my punish attempts when I really need them to go through.

I haven't had trouble at all with comboing and racking up the damage, but like a lot of people landing the kill has been hard. I've tried using QAs to mix up and then go in for an up-smash, comboing into Thunder to get them on my burst (which has great knockback at decent-high percents) and I've also tried neutral and forward airs, but honestly most of the easiest kills have been off-stage gimping. Pikachu is thankfully REALLY GOOD at gimping.

Last edited:

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
How Do I get a kill as Pikachu!?
I really wanna start playing Pikachu but every time I try him out in FG mode I always have trouble killing. I usually have to build up 200% just to kill which is insane..
I know his U-Smash is really good but it pretty predictable and I can never hit with it. Same with his F-Smash. I know Pikachu is pretty decent at gimping but for some reason I can't ever seem to gimp anyone.
I have no trouble at all building up damage its just landing the kill move that seems to ruin me.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I know I saw it around the forums somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Where did each of Pika's alt costumes come from? Was there ever a time/episode where he wore those cute goggles? What's the white bandana thing?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Pikachu's alts are mainly meant as references to the male player characters in the games, except for the party hat, which is meant to be a reference to his alts/team colors in the N64 SSB, and the goggles, which are a reference to an alt for Pichu in SSBM.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
How Do I get a kill as Pikachu!?
I really wanna start playing Pikachu but every time I try him out in FG mode I always have trouble killing. I usually have to build up 200% just to kill which is insane..
I know his U-Smash is really good but it pretty predictable and I can never hit with it. Same with his F-Smash. I know Pikachu is pretty decent at gimping but for some reason I can't ever seem to gimp anyone.
I have no trouble at all building up damage its just landing the kill move that seems to ruin me.

I've found another good kill move if you've got them pretty high is the dash attack (the running head butt). It's highly punishable if you miss and leaves you pretty open to a grab, though, and it can easily be cancelled by an opponent with a projectile (like Fox's laser), but it has good knockback.

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
I've found another good kill move if you've got them pretty high is the dash attack (the running head butt). It's highly punishable if you miss and leaves you pretty open to a grab, though, and it can easily be cancelled by an opponent with a projectile (like Fox's laser), but it has good knockback.
That's actually what I kill with half the time if I can't manage to gimp or kill by some other means. Kind funny... but hey whatever works!

Angiance

Smash Lord
For U-Smash/F-Smash you've gotta condition the opponent for them; condition by making them jump with D-Tilt's presence (catch their jump with Dash U-Smash) or jump at them as they're in the air to make them airdodge/attack down (catch their landing with F-Smash)

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Pikachu's alts are mainly meant as references to the male player characters in the games, except for the party hat, which is meant to be a reference to his alts/team colors in the N64 SSB, and the goggles, which are a reference to an alt for Pichu in SSBM.
Cool, thanks. Which character has the white bandana? :)

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Oh that's just a cute alt they seemed to have come up with. It's a type of headband sushi chefs are known to wear.

Also, is anyone else still up for the Pika main Skype group? I'd really like to be part of one, or get one going if we haven't already done so.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Actually Pika's base Attack is 55, base Special Attack is only 50. Technically with a Light Ball though it can run both.
hmm never noticed that. well either way volt tackle is the only physical electric move that seems worth it and that has recoil...well that and nuzzle. Wild charge and thunder punch don't seem worth it compared to the plethora of special moves.

Soul.

The thing is that, in Pokémon, Pikachu does not excel at KOing and stuff. It can only hold the Light Ball if it wants to have a power similar to Deoxys (base forme).
In other words, Pikachu is not good in the games. The only thing that makes it good, however, is it being the mascot itself.
Pikachu is better in Smash.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
I might have to jump onto the skype group sometime, wouldn't mind playing against other pikachu players. Though im usually idle on the #smashbros irc room on thinstack irc.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
PIKA kill moves:

Thunder spikes at high percents (120 % at the "earliest")
N-air at high percents close to the border
F-smash (remember to hit with the sweet spot, it is sorta like a weaker version of a Marth tipper)
U-smash (a decent kill move, can sometimes be done out of a F-air
D-smash (depending on the rage effect) can kill around 130+, can sometimes be linked by t-jolting first.
B-air to stage-spike or a gimp (fast falling under the stage is an option too)
Dash attack (can sometimes close a clutch match at 140%+)

Other fun stuff on for glory matches, since the new ledge mechanics makes it possible:
jab at the ledge against recovering characters (hilarious)
T-jolt spam against recovering characters (still hilarious)

Take all of this information (and percentages) with a lot of salt, since rage mechanics, stale move negation, and the different weight of characters vary a lot. and every kill option is of course not part of this list, side-A can kill too etc.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I've found F-Air on the side more reliable a kill move this game than D-Smash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I sorta promised to come back with the next in Ayame's series of For Glory matches, but this includes more than her Pikachu, so I felt a little awkward posting that in the video thread.

Nonetheless, I found this episode particularly amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOkc5KHCPc

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
So you guys know how Pikachu Destroys Ness off stage by gimping him, right? Just had a for glory match (recorded) where I Use quick attack to get back on the stage, and in doing so, I intercept Ness´s Recovery up-b and cancel it out. Just a fluke, or a reliable way to destroy ness even harder off stage?

Top Bottom