• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
So what are the best strategies for Pikachu so far? Having a little hard time getting back into him at the moment and need some help.
In the neutral game, use spaced sh.fairs and aerial thunder jolts to safely poke at the opponent. Up tilt is probably your most important move for racking up damage, since it leads to aerial combos. It is fortunately quick and has decent range, so it's a good punish option. At low percents, you can use it as a follow up from a downthrow or a grounded cancelled fair. Don't be afraid to jump off the stage to gimp, since his recovery is amazing.

I settled on Pikachu after messing around with a lot of the cast in training mode, I like his Neutral B attack and from the looks of it, it seems to keep people off the ledge. It kept a Little Mac player off the ledge after I knocked him off but then I'm completely new to playing smash. Is the move as useful as it looks?
Yes, it's hella useful

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Play as Yoshi for a while, learn what he can and can't do. I played as Yoshi a lot for event modes in previous games when Pikachu wasn't a character option and now I find Yoshi very fun to play against. You learn to poke at the areas he can't reach.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I might have to try that. I was just not familiar with the matchup. Need to learn his hit boxes and learn their tricksies.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
I was thinking if it would be a good idea to make a sticky thread for a general reference on Pikachu as a character. There was such a thread on Shoryuken for Dudley which was really helpful for picking the character up.
It could have sections such as a brief move list overview (with a link to the lovely and more detailed move list thread) Short terminology, BnB combos, Matchup overview with tips for playing against each characters links to other popular threads, etc.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking if it would be a good idea to make a sticky thread for a general reference on Pikachu as a character. There was such a thread on Shoryuken for Dudley which was really helpful for picking the character up.
It could have sections such as a brief move list overview (with a link to the lovely and more detailed move list thread) Short terminology, BnB combos, Matchup overview with tips for playing against each characters links to other popular threads, etc.
A general thread like that comes later in the game's life. What we do need is more threads about specific things about the character. I've been thinking of making a thread guide on how to kill with Pikachu, but I have a big exam on Friday so I won't be getting to that til this coming weekend.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
A general thread like that comes later in the game's life. What we do need is more threads about specific things about the character. I've been thinking of making a thread guide on how to kill with Pikachu, but I have a big exam on Friday so I won't be getting to that til this coming weekend.
Oh can't wait for that~. GL on the exam
In the mean time i'm gonna try to get someone to 300% in FG without sudden death.

(I'm actually quite serious on both those sentences)

Last edited:

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
I settled on Pikachu after messing around with a lot of the cast in training mode, I like his Neutral B attack and from the looks of it, it seems to keep people off the ledge. It kept a Little Mac player off the ledge after I knocked him off but then I'm completely new to playing smash. Is the move as useful as it looks?
Thunder Jolt is a very useful move in many circumstances, and has been in pretty much every Smash game.

Using it to keep people of the edge is undisputedly one of its many utilities. Bear in mind, when using Thunder Jolt, you should always start it up in the air. Using it on the ground gives you large amounts of lag, and since the move is easy to shield or even dodge, you are really setting yourself up for a punish. I haven't tested it in this game, but in Brawl (and the other games, I believe), Thunder Jolt would do 9% if you hit with it when it was airborne rather than on the ground, when it would do around 5%. Even if are using it to edgeguard, remember that it's essential to jump before you hit the B button. The best way of doing this is to input jump at the same time or a moment before B. If I'm not wrong, that has the least lag. Doing it at the top of a full or short hop will leave Pikachu still in his animation frames when he hits the ground again.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
Thunder Jolt is a very useful move in many circumstances, and has been in pretty much every Smash game.

Using it to keep people of the edge is undisputedly one of its many utilities. Bear in mind, when using Thunder Jolt, you should always start it up in the air. Using it on the ground gives you large amounts of lag, and since the move is easy to shield or even dodge, you are really setting yourself up for a punish. I haven't tested it in this game, but in Brawl (and the other games, I believe), Thunder Jolt would do 9% if you hit with it when it was airborne rather than on the ground, when it would do around 5%. Even if are using it to edgeguard, remember that it's essential to jump before you hit the B button. The best way of doing this is to input jump at the same time or a moment before B. If I'm not wrong, that has the least lag. Doing it at the top of a full or short hop will leave Pikachu still in his animation frames when he hits the ground again.
Wow thanks, I'll be sure to keep this in mind. Though it sounds like there's no reason to ever user Thunder Jolt on the ground unless its from quite some distance away perhaps

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Wow thanks, I'll be sure to keep this in mind. Though it sounds like there's no reason to ever user Thunder Jolt on the ground unless its from quite some distance away perhaps
For me its yes and no. Even though using Tjolt in the air is preferable since you can continue to space yourself, using it on the ground tends to be unexpected. We are stationary when using it on the ground so most people(provided you havent been spamming grounded t.jolt) won't pay heed to a tjolt on the ground. Making unfavorable move options viable(SH landing Bair).

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
That's fairly true. I'm in the habit of always jolting from the air. But SyncNatsyu is right - it can be an unexpected thing to bring out, though it doesn't give much advantage. The only thing it can do on the ground better is hit from right in front of you, as air jolts go diagonally and won't hit grounded opponents right in front of you. Still, if the lag won't cripple you, it doesn't matter too much.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Air Jolt deals the same damage as Ground Jolt (6%) in this game as I recall, but it probably still has more knockback

The thing that makes Ground Jolt better is that we have a higher degree of stage control, plus if it is set out from a FH, we can move around as it is out, meaning if it hits the opponent, we can combo from it with ease

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
Air Jolt deals the same damage as Ground Jolt (6%) in this game as I recall, but it probably still has more knockback

The thing that makes Ground Jolt better is that we have a higher degree of stage control, plus if it is set out from a FH, we can move around as it is out, meaning if it hits the opponent, we can combo from it with ease
Does it? Really?

That's a strange change. Ground Jolt really is better now then, a lot of the time.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Last edited:

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
Newbie log:

I have attempted the jumping thunderbolt against the AI not only have I been unable to take advantage of the benefits against the level 5 AI, I have also proceeded to suicide way too many times. Turns out I cannot switch directions in the air, and proceed to Side B myself of the stage to my doom... Further practice is required!

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Newbie log:

I have attempted the jumping thunderbolt against the AI not only have I been unable to take advantage of the benefits against the level 5 AI, I have also proceeded to suicide way too many times. Turns out I cannot switch directions in the air, and proceed to Side B myself of the stage to my doom... Further practice is required!
Actually, you can turn around in the air using thunder jolt. When in the air, quickly tilt the control stick in the opposite direction that you're facing before pressing neutral B, and you'll do a turnaround thunderjolt.

And here's a more advanced technique: B-reversing. This time when in the air, quickly tilt the control stick in the opposite way you're facing after pressing neutral B, and you'll turn around thunderjolt while carrying over the momentum from the jump to the other direction.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Newbie log:

Actually, you can turn around in the air using thunder jolt. When in the air, quickly tilt the control stick in the opposite direction that you're facing before pressing neutral B, and you'll do a turnaround thunderjolt.

And here's a more advanced technique: B-reversing. This time when in the air, quickly tilt the control stick in the opposite way you're facing after pressing neutral B, and you'll turn around thunderjolt while carrying over the momentum from the jump to the other direction.
I have the exact opposite problem, in that I turn 'round/b-reverse too often. I accidently give up neutral control because I keep thinking I can turn directions I'm facing in the air without attacking. (that or random skull bash)

Last edited:

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867

I will be practing this later, thanks!

Last edited:

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
I ei

I will be practing this later, thanks!
Everything they said. Practice makes perfect!

B-Reversing is incredibly useful. Though I may be proved wrong again, you should b able to B-Reverse Thunder as well. Try it! It's a great edgeguard (or used to be, anyway. My Sm4sh knowledge is somewhat lacking.).

Also, is anyone working on a guide? I might do one after playing the game a bit more, if nobody else will.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
Everything they said. Practice makes perfect!

B-Reversing is incredibly useful. Though I may be proved wrong again, you should b able to B-Reverse Thunder as well. Try it! It's a great edgeguard (or used to be, anyway. My Sm4sh knowledge is somewhat lacking.).

Also, is anyone working on a guide? I might do one after playing the game a bit more, if nobody else will.
(typed that last post oh my phone hence the random letters at the beginning)

I would love to write a guide, but I just don't know enough. I figured I could learn more by writing about it and compiling info together from various threads (a lot of the terms are still confusing me a bit) and then eventually post it when done.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Do we have a skype chat or something?

Also I might post some videos later, just came back from a tournament and got some good friendlies/seriouslies in with Pika (I only used him in tournament once and regretted it lol, it was against the best Brawl/PM player in our region and he went Little Mac. tldr i made tech errors).

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Hmm, no we don't have a skype chat, but if you want I could make one.

No idea how much interest there would be in a Smash 4 Pika skype chat though, since this thread isn't going really fast. Think we still should anyway?

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
I can see the Skype chat being a useful tool for immediately organizing matches better than just posting requests here, like if anyone wanted to do Pika dittos or proper team matches. I'm not sure if there's enough of us so that's there's always at least one other player in the chat, but we don't know unless we try right?

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Do you guys have any tips for short hop auto cancel dair? I really miss being able to do it, do you have to do it super fast/ does it have different timing without a cstick now?
The trick I use to autocancel aerials is sliding my thumb from X to A in one diagonal motion. It's like a quick flick over both the buttons. The way the buttons are placed on 3DS is great for this. It allows you to start an aerial the moment you jump quite easily.

Also first social thread for me. Hype.

Soul.

Holy what, this thread got a lot of posts I didn't know. o_O
Anyways, I got all of Pika's custom moves. Might as well try them out later, as For Little Mac Glory is so serious you can't imagine (:troll:). I can get to autocancel SH DAir with the default controls...yeah.
Pikachu Guide
Use T-Jolt
Land D-Tilt/U-Tilt/U-Air
Combo Target to death
Gimp
Do cute stuff for taunting
bruh u forgot approaching wit quick attak. :(

Last edited:

Soul.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Pika Skype group a thing? If it is, just add my Skype.

Last edited:

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
Pikachu Guide
Use T-Jolt
Land D-Tilt/U-Tilt/U-Air
Combo Target to death
Gimp
Do cute stuff for taunting
Exactly. That's our guide done.

Can we get that stickied?

(Not a joke.)

Last edited:

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Feel free to add me to the group (or just add me in general).

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I have Skype~. I'd love to chat about Pika with you guys if anyone is interested.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...er-smash-bros-3ds-heres-how-perform-it-video/

I think pikachu can do this loop using Fast falled fair. Can anyone else try it out and give their thoughts? I am able to do this til 38% on ganon in training mode.

I tried this in person with another player and couldnt do it due to latency? Ganon also seemed to bounce higher.
I've tried this but only at low percents. Heavier chars seem easier to chain grab but I'm not consistent enough at SH FF Fairs from down throw to keep it going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom