• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

Soul.

When you select a character via Random, it's all about luck. I don't think Random is useful at all, outside of doing fun matches, and even then, you're better off picking your character manually.
Also, should I take out the Q&A thing because this is pretty much a social thread? The Q&A stuff could be left for another thread.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
If you can get @Xiivi to change that title accordingly then yeah. Though there's nothing wrong with this thread having a tangentially related Q&A instead of game-based questions like the other thread has. That stuff seems pretty social to me.

Soul.

I just changed the title myself. If there's something wrong with it I'll change it once again.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that. I'll most likely do a Q&A thread later.
I suppose I'll change it back to what it was before.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I like the fact that there's a Q&A option here. :)

So, how many people are getting just one version of Smash 4, or both? I'm only getting 3DS since I don't currently have a Wii U. Is anyone buying the GC bundle?

Soul.

So, how many people are getting just one version of Smash 4, or both? I'm only getting 3DS since I don't currently have a Wii U. Is anyone buying the GC bundle?
3DS is guaranteed. Not sure about Wii U. I'm just not interested in the console and honestly, buying it just for one game is not a good idea. I'm saying this because some people got a Wii U with Mario Kart 8 and they were not satisfied. It just has no games, at least for me. Sure, the games are good, but I'm still not interested.
The only thing I can think of is Smash and that's already on the 3DS, which will obviously sell more than the Wii U version. That, and Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire will make the 3DS sell more.
Hoenn confirmed, guys!!!

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

I'm getting the 3ds version for sure. Had it on pre-order since Smash-Fest.

Yes, I will get the wii u version through the GC Bundle as well. I probably won't be getting AlphaSapphire because of it...*Sigh*

XQuoteX

Smash Cadet
I guess I'll post a set that I had in a casual tourney here that featured some custom moves. Some that have been looking at the custom move thread may recognize this video as the source for gifs included in the thread. It was my favorite and most nerve-wracking set I've played yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_tX5S9CzL0

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see this Pika social thread looking so great already. Pikachu's always been a consistently good character in smash and he's looking in tip-top shape for this iteration too.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I'm getting a physical copy, how about you guys?
Me too. I'd feel bad if someone had a 3DS and I didn't have mine for some reason but wanted to play smash. Cartridge is the ultimate portability and I wouldn't want my Smash tied down to my system.

Last edited:

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Physical copy for me too, there is just something special about opening the game case with a game in it. Something that digital download can not offer you.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Where exactly is the sweet spot for Pikachu's N-air? I know you have to hit them with it early to get max damage but is there any thing else to it? I've seen a lot of people say it's a good kill move, but I've only had a handful of offstage kills with it. Compared to Pikachu's other aerials it is kind of hard to hit.

Soul.

Yeah, Quick Attack could have offensive capabilities due to lower lag and because of the second hit having knockback. I myself use it diagonally to follow up with an up tilt...well, the first hit that is.
NAir's sweetspot would have to be Pikachu's body, provided it hasn't changed from Brawl. I could be wrong.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
N-airs sweet spot is his body early in the move. Great oos option and off-stage move though I don't know reliably it kills in smash 4.

Yes, QA looks like it's going to be great again, though in a different way than brawl. Though QA has always also been one of the best recoveries in the history of smash.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
So (not sure if this is the proper place to ask this but) i've seen and used the new Thunder spike but was wondering(ecspecially those with access to the Jp ver of the game), when and for how long does the spike hitbox for it appear?
i know its f1 but what about as it stays out?

i can, in the demo at least, hit someone with the top of thunder, after it reaches 'bout half its travel distance and the opponent is launched upwards nearly for a star k.o. is that how its supposed to work? i cant find the posts with i thought discussed its spike hitbox.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Think of the meteor being the top most portion of the bolt instead of the cloud itself (so bottom and just under the cloud). I don't think the cloud is completely a meteor because I have killed people off the top with it. I want to say this is true for the duration of the move (as in the bolt will travel down but the meteor hitbox will stay in the same spot) but I can't get the CPUs in the demo to cooperate with my testing.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
I see thats interesting, I was under the impression that killing off the top with thunder wasnt possible in ssb4. I hope this means we can still "reliably" (or at least go for) star k.o. with it. Guess I'll wait for some testing or when I get the game myself. *tries in demo*

Edit: used "still" back to back(grammer urges...)

Last edited:

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Just out of curiosity you guys, but what made you want to main (or play) Pikachu in the first place? My reason is because Pokémon is my favorite Nintendo franchise, and Pikachu got what I'm seeking in a playable character - enough speed, a good recovery, and a projectile is always a plus.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Pretty much the same. I started out with Melee and instantly chose Pikachu because I loved Pokemon. I could've gone with the other 3 Pokemon but always loved Pikachu's speed and electricity (and his lack of damaging himself like Pichu). Fast forward 13 years and that hasn't changed a bit. XD

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
That's funnily how my story goes too. My first video game was Pokemon Yellow so Pikachu being a total bro was instilled in me before I started playing smash. I also started with Melee and just ended up liking an aggressive point blank playstyle, and Pika seemed perfect for that. His speed, weight, fall speed and so on just felt right, especially as a kid when you didn't understand what those were in the game. I think it also helped that Pika is so good in casual FFA's since he has so many multi opponent moves (D-smash, Thunder, Bair), no one ever goes for you since you're so small, and you could just steal KOs with Up smash when they least expected it. So Pika was the most comfortable and most successful character I played, and I've been loyal to him ever since.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
same here when it came to first thoughts, then i stuck with pika when I got interested in competitive. Can get close or run away quickly, decent power, good punishes (OoS). I prefer Zoners first before quick aggressive rushdowns though. (Nu and Lambchops <3)

Last edited:

Soul.

Quick Attack was always one of the best recoveries in Smash, I agree. Skull Bash is eh. At least it's a decent horizontal recovery.
I'll need to try out Thunder's meteor effect if it really does that every single time.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I liked Pikachu because he is everything I like in a character.

He is cute, but also cool.

He is fast and quick.

He has powerful moves.

And he has my favorite element, electricity.

What isn't there to love about Pikachu? :3

As for competitive, I just saw that he seemed be a good character, I was already using him a lot, so I said I should just use him more.

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
Good to see such a lively social thread. My friend is a :4pikachu: main so I'll be here to get an idea of how to get into his head. I do love playing Chu in the demo, however. Pika's gimping off stage is amazingly good and his ability to rack up quick damage is also nice. Bair also has a very satisfying sound effect. Might use him as a secondary like I did in Brawl.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Good to see such a lively social thread. My friend is a :4pikachu: main so I'll be here to get an idea of how to get into his head. I do love playing Chu in the demo, however. Pika's gimping off stage is amazingly good and his ability to rack up quick damage is also nice. Bair also has a very satisfying sound effect. Might use him as a secondary like I did in Brawl.
It should get even livelier when everyone is able to get their hands on the game. :3

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Pikachu was my original main and the reason I got the original Smash, so I always use him in every game, main or not. I feel like I lost some of my touch with him in Brawl, but after playing the demo, I can safely say it's returned. I feel like Volt Tackle is more controllable, too.

Soul.

That's great. Pikachu was "weird" in Brawl, but that's just because I heard people saying that. It's a pretty good character in that game.
I also heard Volt Tackle is more controllable. I really don't play with items that much, but at least they made Pika's Final Smash a bit better than what it was in Brawl.

Shaymikyu

Yeah, I feel like Pikachu was different in Brawl. Not worse, just different. Smash 4 Pikachu feels more familiar.

And I didn't like Volt Tackle at all in Brawl. SSB4 made it a bit better, at least.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
actually preferred him in brawl as opposed to melee or 64. I felt like I had more control in his movements which is a big part in how i play. I havent got a chance to play this one however.

Shaymikyu

I might have to try him again in Brawl. I was a bit distracted by Lucas then.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Just to chip in, my story goes much like G. Shaymin's, inasmuch as I main him now because I mained him then.

After fiddling with several characters in 64 and never really getting awesome with any of them, I heard from somewhere internet-y that Pika was nucking futs, and found that, even in my scrubby hands, this remained true. Then when I jumped in Melee years later, I got my ass handed to me, but it was who I knew, and then there was no going back.

Then I made a billion avis and played horribly. But that's another story.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm excited to see how much Pikachu change this time around and hope to reuse him again

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Is there some some sort of timing to quick attack this game? never can seem to get the second one when I need it.

Soul.

So, I found this.

Is there some some sort of timing to quick attack this game? never can seem to get the second one when I need it.
You need to slide the Circle Pad the moment Pikachu does the first part of Quick Attack. It should work.

Shaymikyu

I've said this in some other places, and I'll say it again- if DLC costumes become a thing, King Pikachu is a must.

Top Bottom